• Published 26th Jan 2016
  • 5,660 Views, 543 Comments

Undertales of Friendship - ngrey651



A collection of short stories to make you laugh, make you smile, and warm your heart. With Monster, Human and Pony realms combined, the future looks brighter and brighter.

  • ...
25
 543
 5,660

PreviousChapters Next
Chara vs Error

Whilst Chara and Error faced each other, Tiamat was running deeper into the dragonlands, the dragons she now controlled with her. This boy was fighting for her dragons it seemed... no, for Equestria. Error had lied to her, lied to his allies, all for some mad plan he had. Suddenly, Tiamat stopped in place.

No more running. No. All of the world was at stake. And she knew what she had to do.

"Mother?" Mardek said.

"Mardek... I need you again. At the Crystal Empire, Sombra is preparing to attack. You must convince him otherwise before the Caribou arrive. It may mean his life.. no, all our lives."

"But why are you concerned? I mean...."

Tiamat looked to her stomach, wherein lay Chara's friends, including the crippled Frisk, the boy who basically okayed what she had done. "These children are risking their lives for us. Should we not do the same as the superior race? Besides, without ponies dragons have no livestock."

Mardek looked to his mom. "Alright.... I'll do it."

"That's my boy. Go."

...Sombra was on his way to the Crystal Empire, moments from unleashing the Sirens. All he had to do was get up into the capital from the tunnelways, and with that, the Sirens would be free to come into the capital.

He certainly hadn’t expected to hear Mardek’s voice calling out. He stopped in place, blinking a bit, turning around and listening. “Waaaaaaaaait! SOMBRA! Waaaaaaaaaaaait!”

He listened more intently, and with that, another ripple flowed out through time. What HAD been about to occur was now altered, and even over in Ponyville, things were much different. Now with Error Sans unable to make use of Cariboujangles, currently focused in on Chara, his would-be conspirators were stuck in jail, STILL waiting on him to break them free…

“I don’t get it! He said he’d break us out!” Bloodstripes frowned as he paced back and forth in his cell, unaware that two forms hid in the shadows, wisely keeping an eye on those they knew had worked alongside the scum-sucking, backstabbing Error Sans.

“He’s sure taking his time.” Razorbuck confessed from the next cell over. The ponies had very wisely decided NOT to leave the obvious carnivore alone with anyone else in their cell as Ahuizotl moaned and flopped onto his back in his cell, the walls dank and wet as he grumbled.

“The worst part is, the only thing to read in here are DARING DO NOVELS!” He cried out furiously.

Squirt had to suppress a snort of laughter as Shinedown shook his head, putting a hoof to his adopted son’s muzzle.

“He’s probably making sure Tiamat didn’t screw things up at Hearthstone. She may be powerful, but she’s nuttier than squirrel poo!”

“Or maybe he went to the Crystal Palace? Sombra might have gotten cold feet.” Bloodstripes remarked aloud. “It is not as though we were going to let him live anyway. Error Sans has always said he’s the weakest link, that's why he sent a huge Caribou platoon to wait outside the Crystal Empire with those rotten Banshee.”

“HA! I'm not the weakest link!” Razorbuck proclaimed, jumping up and down in his cell as Ahuizotl tossed a Daring Do novel at him, the novel bouncing off the magical bars of his cell.

“Oh, shut up! Be lucky I don’t like the taste of PORK, because if I did, I assure you that you would have been fried up and served as bacon emergency rations long ago!”

“Is it wrong I now have a craving for bacon?” Squirt wondered aloud as he and his adopted father slunk out of the prison, emerging from the shadows as Shinedown shrugged.

“I don’t know, but I do know this. Error Sans needs to be dealt with. I’ll call upon Discord to check at the Crystal Empire, make sure everything’s alright there. Can you head to the land of the dragons? Just scout it out, keep hidden and if you see anything suspicious or dangerous, immediately report back.” Shinedown insisted as he handed Squirt a pre-planned dragon fire scroll that would, upon having a message written upon it, immediately be sent to whomever it was addressed to. Spike had actually made QUITE a bit of money along with Twilight coming up with the idea of self-delivering letters infused with the essence of dragon fire.

“I won’t let you down, dad.” Squirt said as Shinedown just gave him a nuzzle atop his head, ruffling his hair.

“Squirt, this might be hard to believe sometimes, because I’ve punished you for your pranks, but believe me when I say that despite you stumbling sometimes?”

“Yeah?”

“...you NEVER let me down.”

****************************

Sans.

Chara.

At one time, the first was the judge of the underground.... no, not this Sans. This was a twisted warping of him, a faulty form that knew no love or justice, just... death.

But the other was even more changed. He had started as an abused and hated child, one who wished for death. He found love in the underground, but his need for vengeance had blinded him. Now... resurrected, here he was fighting again, but for a different reason. His friends... his family.... his home.... he was not going to let Error destroy it. As his and Error's shouts rang out in the building storm, Chara's thoughts were on his friends, and he was filled...

WITH DETERMINATION.

The two opposing forces, roles reversed, had been fighting for over half an hour now. Both continued to wage war against one another, every strike resounded with the lightning, as all around them the storm began. They gritted their teeth, charged, and the fight was on! The storm picked up around them, rain starting to fall, as the first bones began to fly.

Error had all of Sans' power, as well as additional strength and skill, but Chara was unbelievably strong. Somehow, his power had grown recently, but not like before when he was possessed. No, this was... .was more like Frisk and Asriel combined. It was as if the evil in Chara fueled his power, but his good made it stronger than ever.

Was this the true power of the SOUL?

"Heh, not bad kid. But try dodging this."

Error slammed into Chara with a Gaster Blaster, but this was not like before when Sans and corrupted Frisk fought. The health was low... but the SOUL.... it refused.

"Wha?!" Error said, in shock. Chara huffed some and charged again, shrugging off the blast. Sans eyes went bloody blue and yellow, his face, somehow, losing the smile it once always had. "IMPOSSIBLE!"

Chara slashed for all he was worth, and did the unthinkable as he shattered a Gaster Blaster before Error's eyes, the false Sans now full of an emotion he had not felt for years. One he hated. One he scorned. One he felt as he saw the knife slice into him, and for the first time in a long time knew pain.

Fear. Error was afraid.

"You hurt my family and my friends." Chara said slowly. "And you use even those who trust you. I'm not like Frisk. I don't give Mercy to those who don't deserve it. I fight. And I fight to make sure you won't hurt my friends ever again. Because one thing I learned Error... some monsters, some humans... some are just beyond mercy, just so heinous that they cannot be forgiven."

Error chuckled. "So, you want your LV to go up? I mean, all you're doing is justifying your old ways. You must really be a..." He chuckled, but “erfed” as he was slashed again. and then Chara said something only Chara would know.

"YOU'RE NOT WORTH ANY EXP."

That clenched it. That told Error that this was a no quarter fight. Because Chara was right. Error_Sans was worth nothing to EXP, nothing for LV. Fighting him was too hard for no reward if all this was was a genocide run. To fight without any chance of increasing any stat was, to those who sought the ultimate LV, pointless.

But it wasn't. This was about keeping his family safe. About stopping a madman. And sometimes... things are beyond redemption, sunk so low that trying to redeem them only hurts everyone in the end. Error was that, a glitch so corrupted that he had no true good to him, worth nothing, deserving nothing, caring for nothing except death.

Error knew now this was not the Chara he remembered either. His soul... it shone. It had no LV.... but it had love. his soul.... had SOUL.

"Damnit...." Eror said, furious. "Fine! We end this here and now! Time for you to die! And once I crush your soul into pieces, I will pull the moon to this world and purify your so called friends!"

Chara looked up, his eyes shining. "Not going to happen."

Error aimed his bones and blasters at the boy, but as if Frisk was with him Chara dodged each one amazingly. Then he charged, slashing at the fiend, but Error was no souch in the dodging department. Anyone who could watch was seeing two masters of their crafts, neither able to hurt the other as of yet, each fighting with all they had. The attacks intensified, Error even trying to grab Chara's soul to throw it.

But that was when he made a telling discovery. There was something... odd. There was a soul there but... something wasn't right. The SOUL was....

"What ARE you?!" Error was able to say before Chara slashed again, sending the fiend flying into the rocks. Chara panted, a little bloodied but smiling. He had the edge. This was better than before. He had a purpose beyond murder, and that was making him strong. Error got up... but he was missing a few pieces.

"Guess this fight cost you an arm and a leg to be in huh?" Chara said. Error chuckled some, noting his missing limbs.

"Heh, that was pretty disarming.."

"Good thing I was told never to fight someone who was... UNARMED."

Error laughed. "Stop! Stop! You already got a... LEG up on this fight!"

Now they both were laughing, and in that laugh Error knew he was beat. He chuckled some, knowing there was no way past the boy. Still, he had an edge. Without Sombra, the bands holding the moon could not be broken, and Error could get past just by teleporting if he focused. He focused his gaze on Chara.

"But... you didn't answer my question."

Chara blinked.

"What are you-"

Chara froze. He realized as memories suddenly flooded his mind that he had just suddenly got up, mummified, and slashed until he was LV1. His hand went immediately to his SOUL.

"Heh.... you realized it." Error said as he approached. “Good try, kid, but now it’s over. You never really stood a-”

He was about to say more as suddenly a blast of dark energy impacted the ground before him. Both looked up, and saw Sombra, looking absolutely pissed, Shinedown, Squirt and Mardek beside him.

"Sombra?! Wh-what gives?!" Error asked, but the Shadowlord gritted his teeth.

“I should count myself lucky that I waited for Mardek to run all the way to me. And count myself lucky that Discord happened to get to me with my ancestors. They had such INNNNTERESTING stories to tell me about you. SO many things to tell me.” He growled.

“Discord is making sure the protection around the Crystal Empire is in place. And he was kind enough to teleport us here. Well...we actually landed two miles away in some brickleberry bushes, but we’ve gotten good at running fast.” Shinedown confessed, Mardek slumped over onto his front, sweat drizzling all around him.

“Speak! For yourself! Can’t...feel legs…” He whimpered, his rear full of brickleberry needles.

“You...bastard. You were going to kill me with the Caribou of all things! YOU were behind them coming back?"

"We didn't even need to ask the others to handle them." Shinedown added, cringing a bit. "I don't think they'll be walking anytime soon..."


Indeed. The Caribou platoon had been hiding behind the mountains not far from the Crystal Empire, their almost soulless forms ignored by the Banshee, who sought out those who already HAD love within them...just so they could turn that love to hatred and fear and prey upon them. Upon arriving in the Crystal Empire to explain the situation, Mardek and Discord had brought Sombra and Celestia and Luna to do a search around the edge of the capital to try and track the Caribou. Luckily Sombra had an easy way to find them...

"It's really very simple. Just tell a joke about a pony getting violently mutilated."

"How does THAT work?"

"They won't stop laughing."

"Seriously?"

Discord decided to try it out, nonchalantly walking about, speaking out loud to Celestia. "Say, Celestia, what walks on four legs, three legs and two legs?"

"Um...man?" Celestia responded, the Caribou listening intently behind the near ice-berg level of mountain they'd camped by, all straining to hear what would come next, waiting for a chance to strike, weapons at the ready. "For as a baby he crawls on all fours, as an adult he walks on two and he leans on a cane in old age."

"Nope. The answer's a baby. Cuz he can walk on two and four legs and if you cut off a leg and give him a crutch he can hobble on three!" Discord laughed aloud, the Caribou beginning to visibly snigger and shake with barely-surpressed laughter.

"How can you make such an awful joke?!" Celestia asked...

And ALL the Caribou responded at once. "IT'S NOT MY BABY!"

Before looking up at the top of the mountainous ice they were hiding behind, seeing Sombra smirking toothily down at them.

"I instantly regret this." One of them squeaked out.


"To think you would continue to make use of them. And to think you’d take the Heart of that...that freakish rapist?!" Sombra roared angrily.

Error shrugged. "Heh, so I manipulated a king and used a few pawns to take the prize. It's chess Sombra, you wouldn't understand. But then... YOU NEVER DID." With that, the Shadowlord was suddenly blasted with a Gaster Blaster, screaming as he was sent flying. Shinedown lept to the ground and charged, knocking the wounded Error over, but even without his dodging ability he could still use his magic, and the power he had sent the half-changeling flying. Mardek went to Chara, the two charging again, but this time Error raised a bone wall to stop them.

"Heh, this has been real fun. But I think it is time to moon Equestria, so excuse me." He focused, teleporting away, Chara screaming out as he saw Error appear by the bands that held the moon in place. With a smile he reattached them to his working hand, and began to reel the moon in.

"NO! We're too late!" Mardek shouted... but then he froze as he saw Sombra leap for the strands. He held them in his teeth, a shocked Error gazing at him.

"WHAT?!" He shouted, blasting Sombra over and over, but Sombra paid no mind as he focused his power at the point where the ropes connected to Error. He felt his body breaking as he used the powerful shadow magic... but soon, he heard the snap.... then another... and another... and twice more!

And with them, the ropes dissolved, Error screaming in pain as he fell backward, Sombra falling from the strands into a pile of rocks, landing with a crunch. Error, weakened, stood in shock as his plan failed, but he held the heart of Cariboujangles out in anger.

"NO! But... I still have the heart, you fools! Don't think you..." But he got no further as the true knife flew into the heart, sending it flying. Error was wide eyed in shock.

"No... this... this is impossible!" He suddenly felt the presence of his errored brother, ashamed of him. "No.... papy.... no I can still do this... no......NO!" He said, suddenly teleporting away. But no one seemingly paid him any heed as Shinedown ran for Sombra.

It was not a pretty sight. He had been impaled by one of the rocks, and his hooves were covered in purple blood. He turned to Shinedown, Chara, Squirt and Mardek.

"Heh..... guess I CAN die after all." He said, smiling softly, coughing up blood. He turned to Chara. "You.... you're something else kid."

"Come on.... we have to save you." Shinedown said, his eyes filled with horror, his voice cracking. “You JUST finally redeemed yourself, you can’t...you can’t DIE on us! Please, we...we have to SAVE you…”

But Sombra kept his smile.

"You already did." He said, sighing softly. "He was right. Frisk... was right about me." Sombra lay there, a tear in his eye, the first in a long time. It was odd. All his life, he had wanted to die and done so many terrible things to make it so, to purify the multiverses. And now.... when he finally did the right thing, he was getting his wish for death. It felt..... Peaceful. Squirt cringed, his body shaking...and he took off running, seemingly unable to handle it, Shinedown looking briefly from him to his ancestor.

"Shinedown." he said, looking to his descendent with pride. With what power he had, he handed the pony his cape and crown. "I have no kingdom to give.... but what I do have is yours now. The shadows... will heed you." He turned to Mardek. "You. Thank you for warning me... and for the truth of Error. I know you will make your mother proud." He then turned to Chara. "Tell Frisk...... he was..... right... about me."

Chara wiped his eyes and nodded. "Why did you do it?"

Sombra chuckled. "All my life I lived for pain and torment. All my life I hurt for.... for my own gain. But there was one thing I could not do.... I.... I would not destroy this world...... Not... .this..... one....." He coughed, his eyes dimming some. "I...... my children..... are here..... and I......... I.......... love....... I love them...." He coughed and breathed heavily. "Perhaps...... I did it... so I had one thing..... I didn't regret................................."

*******************

Does one good act make a hero if they were always a villain to the world?

Can a lifetime of evil be so easily redeemed by an act so good, so selfless, none dared do it for any reason?

Was good and evil really so black and white in the eyes of heaven?

As Shinedown carried Sombra's body proudly, wearing the crown and cape of the Shadowlord, he wondered this. This was, in many ways, his ancestor, and like him had done many terrible things. But... in this act, he had saved Equestria, he had given his life to release the moon because only he could.

He wanted to die, and yet he wanted others to live. As he strode proudly down the streets of the Crystal Empire, no one said a word. They knew what Sombra had done, good and bad. And not one was capable of judging him for this. As Shinedown carried Sombra into the hall of the Crystal Lords to give him a proper funeral, no one said or even knew if this was to be praised or hated. Sombra had been a complicated tyrant, but he had also done much for Equestria, such as repelling the Caribou and now.... saving Equestria from Error at the cost of his life. Thoughts on Sombra were in everypony's head, and none were very black or white.

And they were not the only thoughts. Chara, walking behind silently, still held his soul. Error knew what Chara had kept hidden... his rebirth had made no sense. it seemed.... random, as if someone had toyed with fate. Was he really alive, or just a being kept going through determination and luck? Despite the smiling welcome of a hero he had received from Asriel and Frisk, he knew this was far from over. Something was not done.

Was not....

.... complete.

That word. That one word filled him with dread. No this was not over at all. The end had not come.

This was only the climax.

***********************

In his hidden lair in the Everfree, Error gazed at the shattered pieces of Cariboujangles heart. It was worthless now, just flesh and maggots. Error fumed even more that he was now just half the skeleton he used to be. He had no chance now, no allies, no magical artifact, and he had no idea he was being watched...by more than one pair of eyes.

But only the owner of ONE spoke up now.

"So.... you failed."

Error gazed about. "What? Who is there?"

The voice chuckled. "Oh... just a friend."

"No.... you're dead..... YOU'RE DEAD!"

The voice chuckled, red eyes and a red smile appearing in the shadows, Error filled with dread.

"Not dead. Just incomplete. Better run Error.... when the time comes for the final what if... .YOU WILL BE FIRST."

Error let out a cry of fear and teleported away, but the mad laughter filled his skull.

EEEEHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHEEHEHEHHEHEHEEHEHEHHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAA....

PreviousChapters Next