• Published 26th Jan 2016
  • 5,653 Views, 543 Comments

Undertales of Friendship - ngrey651



A collection of short stories to make you laugh, make you smile, and warm your heart. With Monster, Human and Pony realms combined, the future looks brighter and brighter.

  • ...
25
 543
 5,653

PreviousChapters Next
Rainbow Crash, Pt. 1: BOOM

Scootaloo was in awe as she watched Rainbow Dash practicing with the Wonderbolts. The fast flying, wise cracking, best friend ever was Scootaloo's idol as well as her best friend. Best of all was that thanks to that friend she and her friends all got tickets to a front row seat at the air show next week. Rainbow Dash was being a special part of that air show, where she would be set up for a Rainboom that would paint the night sky.

As such, she had to practice a lot, and Scootaloo was given special Reserve access to see the practices.

"More speed, Crash! We need you in top form before the show, I wanna see you doing Rainbooms in your sleep!" Spitfire called out. Scootaloo never understood why RD like the name Crash now, given how much negativity her youth had around it... but clearly it was special now, since Spitfire had an equally insulting nickname for every one of them... and had one of her own.

"You got it, Hotflank!" RD called. Scootaloo sniggered at that, the story behind that pretty hilarious. On her first day, long ago when she was a Reserve herself, Spitfire had landed flank first into a hayburger barbecue, setting her tail on fire and almost burning off her cutie mark. Scootaloo knew the reason such a nickname had to be kept secret, and it was the ultimate sign of trust in the Wonderbolts:

Knowing her secret call-sign and being able to use it meant you were that trustworthy to her.

"Clipper! Forebreak! Bank off for the Rainboom!"

On cue, Soarin and Silverwing, respectively, banked to the left and right as Rainbow Dash poured on the speed. At last, the cone of speed appeared, and Rainbow poured it on....

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

The rainboom was now almost second nature for the speedster, and yet whenever it appeared it wowed al around. Instantly RD had massive improvements to speed and flight control, even being able to turn on angles impossible in flight. She sped around, making a massive rainbow outside of the spreading rainboom that covered the sky. It was simply beautiful and amazing all at once.

But too an onlooker, it was more than that. It was an opportunity. Error Sans chuckled as he saw the Rainboom, Sombra nearby drinking some red wine.

"Impressive, isn't it?" Sombra said, walking over to Error . "How sad that they do not understand the kind of power that lay within such a thing. The Rainboom is more than just a beautiful sight."

Error Sans gave a nod. "I can see now why you wanted me to see this. The power it contains is incredible.... especially right where the burst occurs."

"Correct, my fragmented friend." Sombra said. "If we follow the plan, it will be the key to the correction of the timelines. Then we can deal with those who altered them directly later on."

Error nodded. "A sound idea. We will put the plan into action right away."

The two chuckled, watching Rainbow fly, taking in the moment to see her at her best.

If they had their way, it would not be so for much longer.

***********************

"And then, she whizzes around, making a massive rainbow just for me and Spitfire! It was just... just...." Scootaloo was stunned on what to use as she told her classmates. But Diamond Tiara chuckled.

"Awesome?" She said. Scootaloo nodded. "Well of COURSE she is awesome. Even I know she is the best flyer to ever grace the Wonderbolts! Daddy even offered a million bits to make her our personal air show but she turned it down. Imagine, turning that down?"

Frisk chuckled nearby, still holding the backstage pass he and the rest of the Crusaders got. It was a neat feeling now, with him and Chara and Asriel all now officially part of the Crusaders, and each one getting a handkerchief Rarity made herself with what would be their cutie marks if they were ponies, according to the consensus. For Chara, it was a sword and shield, since he was a natural born warrior who now could use his skill to defend others and help make things. Asriel got a smiling flower, since he was once Flowey... but now even when he turned into Flowey he was the best friend anyone could have.

*********************

As a side note, it was almost a pie at Muffet and Pinkie Pie's suggestions, but Asriel quickly shot that down.

*********************

Frisk, however, felt his was too kind. It was engraved with seven hearts , one red one circled by six others. The Six Souls if he thought about it. Being given that made it feel like the other five were making him their leader, and wrongfully so. He was no leader in his own eyes, just someone who showed his SOUL to all around, and who loved everyone with all his heart.

Ironically, that was what made him the best leader ever.

"I envy you Frisk." Diamond Tiara said, trotting over to the human. "I mean, you’re going to get to see the Wonderbolts front and center! You even get to meet them in person, something I never got to do."

Frisk smiled. "Thanks Diamond. But as much as I like it... I don't know if I can go."

Everyone turned in surprise. "WHAT?!"

Frisk shrugged. "Well, mom and dad are being summoned to the castle so someone needs to stay behind and watch the house. I volunteered so that Chara and Asriel can go."

Scootaloo “hmphed”. "Well now that won't do! That settles it, you are coming with me tonight and we are watching the final training together!"

Frisk blinked. "Really? But...well, won'tcha you get in trouble?"

Scootaloo shrugged. "Nah. They are practicing over by the Everfree, and I know that place like the back of my hoof now. Besides, you’re a hero just like Dash is! I highly doubt Spitfire will say no."

Everyone nodded, encouraging Frisk. Frisk finally nodded. "Alright...I'll go."

Everyone cheered in delight, but all were unaware that someone was pulling their strings, setting this very thing up. If they had looked closely, Frisk and Scootaloo might have seen their classmates being hit with a dark purple green magic, ever so slightly. Sombra stood outside and chuckled.

"Phase one complete."

*********************

"At the Everfree forest?" Rainbow Dash asked Spitfire. "Commander Hotflanks, I will admit the idea of flying over it so low in altitude is awesome, and would love to make a massive leaf storm with my speed, but....you really sure that this is safe?"

Spitfire nodded. "Absolutely Crash. I have conformed your little watcher will be well out of range, and have notified Zecora to secure her hut. All variables have been accounted for." She revealed a map of the Everfree. "According to Zecora, this location here will have the least likelihood of disturbing anything nasty in the Everfree. Try to have the Rainboom in this region."

Rainbow Dash nodded.

"Ok.... let's go!" Spitfire said, the forms unaware as a set of blue strings lifted the map up to the window, gazing at the circled area.

"Phase two is as good as done. I better tell Sombra. Soon we will deal with the timeline corruption once and for all." Error Sans whispered.

********************

Taking a road through the Everfree was never easy, but Spitfire had assured Scootaloo yesterday that practice would be far enough away that they would be able to see the Rainboom up close without any ill effects. Scootaloo however was finding it harder than ever this time. Something about the Everfree Forest today seemed.... off.

"Frisk..... maybe we should-"

But he never finished what he said, as a force took hold of him, leading him on. Frisk never caught wind of it, or Scootaloo's initial worry, just following his friend. He hoped that soon he would be watching the Wonderbolts like never before as they rehearsed for the air show tomorrow, and he could not wait to see it so up close.

Suddenly, the section of forest they were in felt darker than usual. Frisk looked about but could not find the path. It was as if light itself had vanished, replaced by the midnight darkness, save for a single patch of light in the trees.

The two, not realizing the truth, went towards the light...

*******************

Rainbow Dash built up speed. Spitfire's suggestion was a good one, the Everfree far enough away to not be a danger to anyone in Ponyville, and Zecora's potions made much of the Everfree a protected region. RD had nothing to worry about.

Or so she thought.

She saw it too late. Emerging from the forest just where the Rainboom would hit.

She saw the Rainboom explode, sending out the shockwave.

And she saw, on the return, that the force had sent two forms flying into the trees. Rainbow was wide eyed with shock as she flew closer...

And saw Frisk and Scootaloo, both unconscious, looking terrible, huge cuts on their heads, and the leg bone of Frisk's right leg sticking out.

"No."

Rainbow Dash was wide eyed in disbelief. Scootaloo never emerged from Everfree near here.. .there was no way!

"NO."

She picked up Scootaloo. The poor filly was barely breathing... and the cut on her head was massive. Rainbow Dash whimpered, looking then to Frisk.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

*************************

Rainbow Dash paced outside the hospital room, almost wearing a track in the hallway. She had taken so many precautions... hadn't see?

No... in hindsight she never double checked.... she just went out to perform, to practice, confident her little buddies would be a safe distance away.

But to emerge right where the Rainboom went off was a near death sentence. The force at the core was like a bomb going off, and the force it generated sent the two flying back into the forest, slamming into trees within. Rainbow was heartbroken.... she knew this was her fault.

Finally, the doctor emerged.

"How... how are they doc?"

The doctor sighed. "Not good I am sorry to say. The human's leg is completely fractured. He wil not walk again for some time, not without some powerful healing spells. But Scootaloo is far worse. Her wings are almost damaged beyond repair, her spine has a crack... and she is in a coma. I'm sorry Rainbow... but Scootaloo is going to be laid up for quite some time."

Rainbow felt her whole weight slump, her whole form give way to pure despair. Frisk, the hero of ponies, monsters, and humans.... laid up like an invalid. Scootaloo, Rainbow's biggest fan and practically her little sister... in a coma. All because of her. All because she did her Rainboom for the Wonderbolts.

"Can I see them?" She asked. The doctor nodded, stepping aside to let her enter. Rainbow was in tears as he saw them.

Scootaloo had a breathing mask on and her forehead was wrapped up in bandages, her one wing in a cast. The chip in her spine apparently wasn't as serious as was believed...but still, the wound to the head was very severe. Frisk looked no better. He winced as he slept thanks to the anesthetic, his leg in a cast, as well as his arm, something the doctor forgot to mention. His forehead also had several bandages, one with a dark stain on it where it had just stopped bleeding.

The sigh was too much for Rainbow, and she began to sob, collapsing on the floor of the hospital. She felt the weight of this sin on her back, and it was crushing her inside.

"Crash?" A voice said behind her. Rainbow Dash looked behind her and saw Spitfire, giving a concerned look. "What...what happened?"

Rainbow Dash sighed. "It was my fault. I did not check for civilians and as a result my Rainboom got them both injured."

Spitfire was wide eyed in shock. "They were THERE? But how?!"

"It doesn't matter... maybe I could have checked more... maybe I missed something... but the point is I am at fault." Rainbow Dash removed her Wonderbolt goggles. "I.... I’m sorry, but I…I quit."

Spitfire gaped, mouth hanging open as she stared in shocked at Rainbow Dash. "What?!"

"If my so called talent is going to get my best friends hurt.... then it's not a talent." She walked past Spitfire, still sobbing. Spitfire turned and looked at her.

"Rainbow Dash! All your life you have never quit anything without good reason, but this is not an example of that! You honestly think Scootaloo will accept this being why you quit?! If you do, you will be haunted by it for the rest of your life. The only thing we can do is get back out there and keep flying, better than before, learning from our mistakes."

Rainbow Dash suddenly turned, slamming into Spitfire. "And when was the last time one of YOUR mistakes got someone nearly killed huh?! I will fly how I choose and the way I choose! I told you before that I don't want to be a part of the Wonderbolts if all they care for is recklessness!"

Spitfire began to sweat. She never had seen Rainbow this angry, and it scared her.

"So you and the rest of the Wonderbolts can go fly into a thunderstorm for all I care! I'M BUCKING DONE!"

With that she threw Spitfire down and walked away, tears falling from her eyes like never before. She had nearly killed her friends and Spitfire told her to forget it and go on? Rainbow Dash knew she couldn't. Next time it could be worse. As it was now... her best friend and little buddy may never wake up.

No.... she had no right being a part of the Wonderbolts if she could do this. Rainbow Dash, Fastest Flyer in Equestria....

Was no more.

*******************

Outside, Error Sans and Sombra watched with delight. Rainbow Dash had been shaken to the core, and with her the house of cards would soon fall.

"Phase two complete." Sombra said. "Now the whispering campaign begins. Those fillies will think it was Frisk's idea to go that way in the Everfree, and when that air show next week is cancelled, everyone will blame the human."

Error nodded. "Soon ponies and monsters will be at each other’s throats, and the monsters will be sent back to the underground. Then we can purge this timeline easily, and start over again."

Sombra and Error began to laugh, watching as Rainbow, tears in her eyes, flew for home, screaming out in pain at what she thought she had done, while inside Spitfire was puzzled. Rainbow Dash HAD checked the sight over. Spitfire had as well.

Plus... there was no way the two emerged on a path out that way without any sign of being in brambles or ponds. Not and be there at the time considered, given when they left Ponyville.

No.... something was very wrong, and if the answer was not found out about soon.....

TO BE CONTINUED...

PreviousChapters Next