• Published 26th Jan 2016
  • 5,634 Views, 543 Comments

Undertales of Friendship - ngrey651



A collection of short stories to make you laugh, make you smile, and warm your heart. With Monster, Human and Pony realms combined, the future looks brighter and brighter.

  • ...
25
 543
 5,634

PreviousChapters Next
Pony Prosecution

As darkness enveloped Frisk, his mind drifted back to...happier times. Simpler times.

...by COMPARISON. And he began to fear for Asgore and Toriel...what would befall them with him and Chara and the others gone? And Sans and Paps! Oh, they’d be worried sick, and poor Undyne and Alphys, they’d just gotten married, what...what would Tiamat do to those he loved?

And poor Luna and Celestia. What would…

...Celestia. Heh. He...he remembered. A funny time. Something that seemed so annoying and aggravating back then, but NOW when compared to what he now faced, was…

...heh...

...Celestia was fuming mad. Not like when she was upset about things in the past, but when it was clear something was a twisting and reworking of facts, she was adamantly against it. And yet, in her position, she could do nothing but watch as the events that were about to unfold occurred. The law required that the case that was about to unfold had to be decided by a jury, NOT an alicorn like other disputes.

She stared angrily at a certain greytone pony standing as the "representative for Equestria", wearing a slick black suit and his eyes narrow slits that seemed to stare into the souls of everyone, seeing their sins. On his flank was a cutie mark of a set of sales, but not ones that were balanced, rather they were down much lower on one side than the other. He was called Harsh Justice, and to Celestia no name could be further from the truth. He had accused many creatures, pony and otherwise, of many crimes, and had won many cases. The thing was, often it was learned later that the facts he found were circumstantial at best, and pure horseapples at their worst. He stared openly at the accused.

Frisk Dreemurr.

And as he did, Celestia recalled the events leading to this "trial", events that, as she looked them over in her mind, made what was happening now a complete travesty.

**********************

All of this had begun a few weeks earlier, when Harsh was in Ponyville on a sort of vacation. While on that vacation, An incident occurred in Sugar Cube Corner, when a fight broke out between Vegetoid and Mrs. Cake over the food being far too unhealthy, with too little veggies and too much sugar. The talk between the two got more heated than anyone in the stand could handle and all went outside to wait for their pastries. It was at that moment that the unthinkable happened as an explosion occurred inside. Everyone was shocked as they went in, seeing Mrs. Cake badly injured. Harsh Justice, who was in line at the time, immediately called for Vegetoid to be arrested as he was the only other one in the building. It seemed reasonable at the time, and Harsh was heeded without question. In hindsight, that was where the trouble began as the local court accused Vegetoid of trying to murder Mrs. Cake.

During the trial, Harsh Justice brought out a lot of circumstantial evidence against the carrot monster, including his attacks on Frisk and his almost zealous backing of the idea that vegetables are the most superior food.

"Vegetoid has stated time and time again how everyone should just eat their vegetables, and those who do not should be punished or shown the light. Given his words to Mrs. Cake just before the incident, I think it is clear what punishment means."

Vegetoid blinked. "But I would never hurt anyone! I would rather be chopped up for salads than hurt my dear friends.... which incidentally is not a bad idea, since I am rich in beta carotine and vitamins."

Several jury members laughed but Harsh Justice just stared coldly. "Then why be so angry about blueberry muffins or bran muffins, Vegetoid."

Vegetoid blinked. 'But.... I wasn't!"

"I know for a fact at the time of the explosion that she was making those very things. You just wanted YOUR style of nutrition, not anyone else's. The state rests."

Vegetoid slunk back, sobbing out saltwater tears as he sat there. With no evidence to find him innocent or guilty, but based on his past, Vegetoid was sentenced to community service for one month. However, Harsh Justice was far from done.

After the trial was over, Twilight approached him angrily.

"You may have won the case, but you proved nothing. All you did was pin the blame on someone who could not have done what you say."

The pony prosecutor nodded. "You’re right.” He remarked calmly. “Vegetoid could not have worked alone. In my opinion, this is but the first step, and it requires a full investigation."

Twilight blinked. "Wha?"

"I need to see each person who had contact with Vegetoid before the bombing. Someone gave him what he needed for the attack."

It was then that another voice was heard. "There was no attack!" Twilight and Harsh turned and saw Frisk, looking at Harsh with near contempt. "You convicted an innocent individual! There were no bombs or anything, the explosion was because of an accident!"

Harsh chuckled some, waving a dismissive hoof. "My dear little naive human, one thing I learned is there ARE no accidents. But tell me then... how did it occur?"

Frisk sighed. "Pinkie had several Helium containers near the stove. But in the discussion, one fell over and hit the stove, causing the explosion."

Twilight nodded. "That sounds like Pinkie's style. Still it was an accident."

Harsh chuckled. "Like I said... there ARE no accidents. Clearly someone made the helium unstable or a similar method. And I know just who might be involved."

From then on it was a witch hunt, as Harsh questioned everyone in Ponyville about the incident. It turned out there was not enough helium in the tanks to be fatal, so it was no surprise the explosion was so small. But Harsh knew there was something wrong, or so he said. That was when he found out a few things that happened earlier in the bakery.

Three days prior, Alphys and Undyne were sharing some of Mrs. Cakes special Super Sweet Snickerdoodle Cinnamon Surprise cake, And began to get in the mood for some romance. Alphys was ready to head back, but Undyne wanted to do it right there on the table, considering it was late. Mrs. Cake offered a room for them, and it seemed like they were okay. but Harsh painted a different picture.

"They were kept from doing something romantic by someone who had no reason to butt in on romance. Clearly one of them tempered with the tanks. I will question Mrs. Cake." Harsh went to leave as Twilight stopped him.

"Question her about what? This was accidental, a mistake!"

Harsh hmphed. "So says the one destined to be the Princess of Friendship since she was little. Not to mention you have no room to say someone could not do his if they are 'good', or have we forgotten an incident over tardiness?"

Twilight stammered as Harsh left, Frisk fuming mad. He was going to find the truth himself.

***********************

As the trial of Frisk Dreemurr began, this initial part was reviewed by Harsh, with the pony adding how Frisk interfered with justice, taking the investigation down his own path. basing it on a bias rather than on pure fact, according to Harsh, it showed he was possibly in on it as well and was trying to clear the name of the one involved.

And he succeeded. Or so Frisk thought.

**************************

Frisk had questioned everyone from the time before, including Mrs. Cake, and learned the helium tanks had been used just the morning before the explosion, and on many times before that. If there had been a failure, then it would have occurred much sooner, indicating the tanks had NOT been tampered with. The only reason they were even near the stove was because the place got busy before they could be put away.

But at the trial that followed, where Alphys was fingered for sabotaging the tanks and hiring poor Vegetoid to trigger the explosion, a different picture was painted. Every personal flaw was brought out, including her failures with the Amalgamates, her trying to sway the human with a false danger, and even going so far as to blame her for the Applemagate incident.

"Alphys stole the Determination from the souls of six human children, all of whom innocent and having nothing against them except that she, like so many monsters, wanted to use them to get free. How then can we trust someone's judgement when they would kill children to break a barrier?"

The jury was convinced... at first. Alphys was sobbing and ashamed of her past, and Undyne was fuming that events that had already been settled, with the souls indirectly forgiving her already to say nothing of everyone else.

But Frisk, the good boy he was, presented the facts he had gathered. How the newlyweds had agreed without incident and how Mrs. Cake watched them both go up to the room together, and leave in plain sight of her and Pinkie Pie. How Alphys would NEVER sabotage something of someone else's because all she has ever done in science has been to help others. And most importantly how no one could be blamed for the incident unless you wanted to blame the sudden rush of customers before the helium from the party the night before could be put away. The jury was swayed by Frisk's words and Alphys found innocent.

But Harsh Justice immediately accused Frisk of interfering with the legal system. Frisk could not deny it as he was no lawyer.But worse was his ties to both accused, both monsters he represented as their Ambassador. And according to Harsh... that tied him to the incident and fabricating the facts.

Worse was..... some believed that, and Frisk was arrested amidst universal anger against it. But now here they were, Frisk having been harshly treated in jail by several rough ponies, and the boy still crippled from incidents before yet almost back to normal. The sight was pitiable.

And Celestia could do naught to prevent it. She couldn’t interfere with the court system. Her country was a constitutional monarchy, and she couldn’t directly interfere or even grant a pardon until AFTER the trial was done.

Not too long before Frisk was called into the courtroom, Harsh got a little knock on his door. He opened it up, Shinedown nonchalantly standing there. “...can we talk?” He inquired politely.

“Well...well...well. My favorite criminal investigator.” Harsh said with a little grin. “And what brings you here?” He asked, ushering for him to enter the room.

“I used to be the only real police officer in this town. I solved the crimes. And I did it because I asked three questions. What do you think? What do you know? What can you prove?” Shinedown calmly said, nonchalantly folding his arms over his chest. “...you KNOW nothing, can PROVE nothing, so I ask...what do you think?”

“And I think that, as a friend of Frisk, you’re trying to influence my decision. And to intimidate the prosecution.” Harsh intoned.

Shinedown calmly smiled. “Why, Harsh! You and I both know that if I wanted you dead, you’d be dead by now. In fact, I could make it look like an accident. Or as if you never were.” He remarked cheerily, unraveling one of the many cloth bandages around his arm as Harsh visibly began to sweat. “I didn’t get these for being NICE.” He intoned. “...but I believe in justice, Harsh.” Shinedown added, wrapping the arm back up again. “...and I taught my child that vengeance isn’t justice. That justice sometimes calls for...well...Mercy.”

“And sometimes it doesn’t.”

“Are you throwing the book at the kid because you truly BELIEVE he’s guilty...or because you WANT him to be?”

“Are YOU of all people trying to claim a moral high ground?!” Harsh asked with a laugh.

“Oh, but see, I ADMIT my moral failings. And that allows me to sleep at night. You? You won’t.” Shinedown said softly, getting up from his chair and heading for the door. “...so sweet dreams.”

Harsh DIDN’T sleep well that night. But it might have been because somebody kept egging his house every half an hour and the trial date had to be moved back a night since his eyes were so bloodshot the next day he looked like somebody had shone a flashlight into his sockets for hours on end.

To be fair, Shinedown admitted he’d taught his child that justice called for mercy.’

He did also agree that sometimes it didn’t.

Sometimes it required EGGS.

******************************

Frsk sat there, in a chair to be accused, and looked to the jury. "May I be allowed to speak openly?" He asked. Everyone, even Harsh, nodded.

"From the get go this whole thing has been something truly horrible. I have RESET many times in my life, and seen many possibilities, and this is the worst I have ever seen. It all started with an accident in Mrs. Cake's bakery, where Vegetoid was found guilty of trying to murder her with misplaced helium. Mrs. Cake herself said this was just an accident, that Vegetoid had nothing to do with it, and yet the case was pursued. So much so that it became an immense conspiracy, where Alphys was implicated as a mastermind based on his science background alone and her past mistakes. But the past is the past, and so many, even the six souls, have forgiven her, and she has revealed just how good she truly is. Even now as I see her, sitting with her lifemate Undyne, I know she had nothing to fear. Yet fear and conspiracy, facts being twisted and even abandoned because they do not suit the case, made something of nothing. Now it threatens to go even further. I ask you, stop this now. Stop before the very ideals on which this land was founded become a thing of the past, where suspicion replaces friendship, and fear replaces love."

When he was done, Harsh gave a slow, mocking clap of his hooves. "Very impressive speech. Heartfelt, inspirational... and total hogwash. Worse than a blatantly dishonest individual, is one who uses words like love and friendship to hide his own evil heart." Harsh leaned close. "Oh yes, I already knew about you and your... RESETS. Especially one in particular. You know of what I speak. My talks with Sans were very... INTERESTING on that run."

Frisk shuddered. No.... he paid for it......

"You claim to base yourself on love..... and yet you killed everyone in the Underground on that run. Even your own mother." He leaned close. "Even now you sometimes wish death on others I bet, wonder what it will feel like when you RESET and kill us. A person like you is dangerous." he glanced over at Chara, who stammered. "I often wonder how different you two REALLY are." He stood tall. "Why did you involve yourself in this Frisk?"

Frisk sighed. "I wanted to find out the whole truth about what happened."

Harsh ahhed. "So you question whether or not the legal system had it right?"

Frisk nodded. "I wanted to hear all sides."

Harsh nodded. "How fitting for someone who wanted to play out every route of what happened in the Underground. So like a certain pony among us who sought to destroy our future for her own gain, hmmmmmm?"

Chara glanced at Starlight, who sat by him and was now getting the cold stare, the unicorn almost in tears at recalling that.

"Do you believe the facts you gather prove YOUR innocence in this matter?"

Frisk blinked. "I never found anything of my involvement."

Harsh chuckled. "So you CANNOT prove your innocence. How... convenient."

Frisk chuckled some. "You know, I recall someone saying how everyone is innocent until proven guilty. And of that whole phrase, the last two words are the most key. PROVEN GUILTY. So I ask you... can you say I did it with concrete evidence?"

Harsh slowly widened his eyes. "Excuse me?! You're questioning my judgement in this matter?!"

Frisk nodded. "Not with any of us did you find anything solid to prove them guilty, but you were still not satisfied."

Harsh lost his narrow stare and went wide eyed in anger. "HOW DARE YOU! Your kind is ALWAYS guilty of their actions, always wanting to hurt ponies! You're worse than changelings, who pretend they are at peace with us but secretly plan to devour us all! Or Discord, who seduces the princess in such lude and unspeakable ways that he cannot be anything but a rapist! Beings like you do not DESERVE justice human! They deserve the worst that can be done to them, and I will see to it that your kind GETS the worst if it takes me my whole life, because your past actions, your very existence, is PROOF ENOUGH!"

For a moment after, there was silence. He stood there, breathing heavily, staring with bloodshot eyes and gritted teeth, looking for all the world like a madman. But a madman at least has a reason for his actions. Harsh's reason, pure hatreds of non ponies it seemed, was far worse, because it was a calculated and seemingly intelligent form of madness, one simply called racism.

To Harsh, his views of non-ponies would always to see them as guilty, and that was made clear by his blind hatred.

And as the silence ended it was replaced by the sound of ponies getting up and walking away. There was no reason to listen, no reason to even attend. The jury simply walked out, Several royal guard ponies escorting Frisk out gently, Celestia smiling at the wise little boy before her.

Soon, only Harsh was left in there, still wide eyed with fury, still blinded by his hate, until finally he collapsed in tears, realising the full extent of his sins.

There was no comfort for him for some time.

***********************

Later that night, Frisk stood alone on a balcony in friendship castle. That one speech he gave had far reaching effects. At long last the events that had caused his crippled leg were fading away, and were being replaced by the openness the monsters received when they first arrived not so long ago.

He heard the clopping of hooves behind him and turned to see Celestia herself. She smiled softly to the boy.

"I can see now why you were made ambassador for monsters, little Frisk." She said with a soft smile. "Your words ring true. You exposed the worst form of hate in this kingdom, and for that you have my thanks. Harsh Justice is finished, and his hate will be swept away with help."

Frisk went to speak but Celestia continued.

"What you said about the accused applies to everyone who has ever committed a wrong and has paid for it. There is no need to bring up old wounds when the world has forgiven you and accepted you for what you are, both the good and the bad. I wish some had realized that before it had been too late, and I am so glad others realize it." Celestia embraced the boy who hugged back. "Your friends and family should be proud of you, little ambassador. May your wisdom from today never fade." She intoned.

Frisk bowed low as she led him back in, the boy shocked to see several former villains and several friends looking at him with proud looks. While he had focused his idea on those who were accused it went much further than that, and showed that those who had repented of their evil should not have to be in fear of their past being a constant thorn in their lives forever. because it had been forgiven, and therefore was washed away.

Frisk was given many handshakes and thank yous and a few hugs before the night ended, all ending with one wink and thumbs up from a certain skeleton joker, who said just four words.

"ya did good, kid."

Frisk could only smile and hug his most dear friend at that, the skeleton hugging back, more hopeful for the future than ever before in his life, their words long echoing in his mind...

PreviousChapters Next