• Published 26th Jan 2016
  • 5,653 Views, 543 Comments

Undertales of Friendship - ngrey651



A collection of short stories to make you laugh, make you smile, and warm your heart. With Monster, Human and Pony realms combined, the future looks brighter and brighter.

  • ...
25
 543
 5,653

PreviousChapters Next
Daring Do and the Silver-Stealing Son of Ahuizotl

"It was all OBVIOUS, Ahuizotl."

Daring Do smirked as she tossed the earth ponies into one big pile in front of the faintly dog-like, hand-tailed supervillain as the tribally-dressed, furiously-gnashing-his-teeth Ahuizotl fumed and glowered darkly at the black-haired Pegasus. She stood tall in the middle of the factory, giving him a proud smirk. "I knew you'd be here. First you stole silverware from people's homes. Then you raided the banks. I knew you'd come to the metalworks to get more silver. Trying to create a Portal?"

Ahuizotl growled furiously. Indeed, he was. He was trying to bring forth a dark god using silver, a common supernatural tool. But Daring Do had busted his operation yet again!

"I mean, you're really getting predictable. Which is a darn shame, cuz that was one thing you never, EVER used to be before all this."

"I will have you know that the silver was MY idea."

Daring Do stiffened and turned, blinking in surprise. What the-it was...a little Ahuizotl? No, it was clearly the same species but not the exact same features. Its eyes were a bright shade of blue, it's fur brighter in color, and it was quite young. "You? Reproduced?!" She asked Ahuizotl as he chuckled darkly. "EW! I never wanted to picture you nude and thrusting!" She said, slapping her face with a hoof and groaning.

"He's just trying to bring my mom back into the world. But yeah, using silver was my idea." Little "Junior" remarked before grinning darkly, draconic wings spreading forth as he rushed forward, clawed paws tossing something squarely at Daring Do. "And so was THIS!" He proclaimed, as purplish gas bathed over Daring Do, making her reel back as "Junior" chuckled. "Whaddya think, father? A real gas, huh?"

"UGHHHHH." Ahuizotl growled, slapping his face. "None of your jokes! Now we need to get going and regroup!" He insisted, his son looking dejected as Ahuizotl held up a grenade, nonchalantly tossing it up and down in one palm. "Now then, Daring Do...I'm afraid it's time my son Mardek and I take our leave." He said with a delighted smirk, tossing it at Daring Do as she continued to stagger about, Mardek barreing forth, snatching his father up, racing towards an open window and shooting out.

Luckily, Daring Do's instinct acted swiftly. Her leg shot forth, and it KICKED the grenade, launching it far, far away from her and the pile of stunned henchmen as she panted and heaved, the grenade blowing open an immense hole in the wall with a THRUDDA-THROOOOM as she wiped her brow.

"That was close..."

"Why do we work for that jerk again?!" One of the stunned henchman groaned.

...

...

...

... "So his name is...Mardek?" Toriel inquired as Daring Do and she sat together, enjoying a nice cup of tea as Daring Do was spending time in Ponyville, detailing her latest adventures. For that would turn out to be merely the FIRST time she'd meet Mardek. Indeed, he was quickly becoming...problematic...to handle.

The next time she'd met him and Ahuizotl, she'd been trying to stop them from stealing from another mansion. But evidently having wings wasn't Mardek's ONLY power...

"I'm not letting you have any more silver, and I'm taking you in!" Daring Do insisted firmly as she stood tall atop the roof the mansion, Ahuizotl and Mardek trying to wrench free a silver sword from the statue in the center of the mansion's hedge maze, a fountain sparkling nearby as Ahuizotl growled up at her.

"Mardek, take care of her!" He growled, Mardek racing up at her as Daring Do smirked and swiftly reached into a belch pouch, blowing dust at him as he coughed and spluttered, reeling back in midair as the pegasus grinned.

"Looks like I'M the one taking care of-"

But that was then Mardek's jaws opened and burning flames shot forth, Daring Do barely leaping away in time as the roof was suddenly coated in hot fire. Daring Do landed on the nearby ground, gaping as Mardek rubbed at his eyes, howling and growling. "Darn you!" He yelled out.

"You can BREATH FIRE?!" Daring Do gasped out before Ahuizotl raced by her, knocking her over as Mardek struggled to chase after his dad, barely able to keep up, Ahuizotl hardly slowing down as Daring Do tried to get to her hooves...realizing her hat was on fire.

"AH!" She screamed, trying to pat out the flames, rolling around on the ground, grumbling darkly. "Rotten little brat...has his dad’s rotten breath too!"

And she had done research on him. His father Ahuizotl had enrolled him in a private school in the minotaur education system for a "proper education". Naturally he'd paid up front. In cash. Probably all stolen. The minotaurs had a very good school system but only if you could PAY for it...

Mardek had quickly gotten a name for himself by his fine work in the school's choir, and was quickly on the fast track to the Advanced Placement classes. But despite his excellent grades and his voice, Mardek was no little angel. Not one bit. There had been scuttlebutt, rumors and hints that he had DONE things to the other students who had crossed him at all. That he'd threatened teachers who hadn't been keen to give him the grades he wanted...

"I know of Mardek." Toriel admitted softly. "His application came in to OUR school. I have it somewhere..." Toriel added as she made her way towards her desk, Daring Do blinking as the goat mom peered through her desk, then opened it up, putting down a file in front of Daring Do. "Applications can be shared with the public, so you can look it over. It just has very basic information like "Who your parents are" and "Why you want to join our school"."

Daring Do looked over the papers, blinking a bit. "...hmm. It says his mother is Tiamat..."

"Yes. And I recognize that name." Toriel admitted softly, placing her paws together, sighing softly. “She’s a monster from eons ago, who is said to have, along with Apsu, birthed the first dragons. It was rumored she was sealed away for trying to murder her children because they made too much noise.” She shuddered in disgust. “I couldn’t FATHOM why anyone would do that to their children, let alone for...for such a petty reason!”

“I might have to do more research on her.” Daring Do murmured softly. “I’ll pay a visit to your bookstore and look up some ol...Monster Manuals?” She chuckled.

“Ironically, Jerry actually gave Twilight a FINE amount of information on old monster lore before his passing. I was surprised he kept coming back to share things with her.” Toriel admitted.

Unbeknownst to the two, Ahuizotl was busy writing down new plans on a notepad in one of his many lairs, grumbling and mumbling. "I tire of putting up with Daring Do's constant interferences!" He proclaimed loudly, clenching a fist tightly and shaking it in the air. "There must be SOMETHING I can do. I'm done with our little running feud. I must end it with a delicious death, the end of a long conga line of humiliation!" He grumbled as he handed the notepad to his tail-hand, Mardek munching on a fried rat on a stick, sitting nearby in a chair, looking a bit confused as his father paced back and forth. "What to do, what to do?"

"Uh...Dad, if you don't mind me asking, why don't you just shoot her?"

The entire room seemed to get colder as Ahuizotl's face twitched, and he slooooooooooowly turned, looking his son squarely in the face, repeating the words slowly, his body shaking. Not with fear, but...raw, pure, undiluted anger. "Just shoot her?"

"Uh...yeah?" Mardek asked, nervously putting down the fried rat, realizing his dad was getting "that" look in his eyes.

"The death of that pesky Daring Do has to be nothing less than a masterpiece. It must be the triumph of my brilliant intellect, my sheer, raw brilliance...over HER STUPID LITTLE TRICKS!" Ahuizotl roared out, smacking his son squarely in the face, knocking him off the chair as Ahuizotl glowered furiously, glaring down at Mardek as the little fur-covered half-breed gulped in fear, Ahuizotl about to start yelling again before...

He noticed the fried rat and his eyes lit up. "Of COURSE! The Rat King, the Rat King! I'll get hold of the Pied Pony's Pipe in the Royal Equestrian, lure Daring Do to some far-out-of-the-way place..." Ahuizotl chuckled, rubbing his hands together and grinning in delight. "Then when she least expects it, BOOM! She'll fall right down the right trap door and into my specially prepared room filled with hungry rats! The last thing she'll see is their sneering, grinning faces before..."

Then he blinked, sighing. "Oh, wait." He grumbled. "...rats don't grin. I found that out when I tried it on Dr. Caballeron. Is he out of the hospital yet?"

"No." Mardek remarked. "They haven't grown his face back yet."

"Well at least I still have my personality..." Dr. Caballeron mumbled from inside of his bed, his face a stubby, misshapen, bloody, bruised, missing-one-eyeball MESS as the nurse readied the next attempt at a healing salve, snorting so hard she almost dropped it on the floor.

His father storming off, Mardek bit his lip, wrapping his arms around his legs, sighing as he hung his head. “Ohhhh. What am I gonna do? Where’d it all go wrong?”

He bit his lip, then thought back. No. He knew where it had gone wrong.

DARING DO. From the very beginning she’d just messed things up for his dad. She! SHE was the one keeping him from his mom coming back! Keeping them from being a real family! Keeping him from real happiness! Ever since the moment he’d arrived in Equestria…

“I’m trusting you to find a way to bring me back.” His mother’s voice had drifted through his mind. “I NEED you, Mardek. Please. Don’t fail me.” And with that, he had stepped out from the void and into the brightness and color of Equestria, looking up at the man he knew was his father as he gazed down upon Mardek.

“It was a rare, rare honor to be chosen to be mate of Tiamat.” His father had explained to him. “She could have chosen anyone. Choosing me was quite...impressive.” Ahuizotl had remarked with a proud smile as they strode through the jungle path, flowers lining all around them as the call of wild birds with feathers like the rainbow drifted through the air. Mardek gazed in awe at the beauty all about him. Before, the only true color he’d seen was on his mother, on her unique scales and body but here? Here, everything was bright and vibrant and new. “I see you are not used to Equestria.”

“Everything’s so...pretty here.” Mardek admitted as he looked around the room, awed and wowed by what he saw, approaching a tree and reaching up, taking hold of a fruit and sniffing at it before his father snatched it away.

“Now, now. Don’t eat it. I’ve been tricked into eating these Boomba fruit...they make your stomach almost explode.” Ahuizotl said with a shake of his head. “That damnable Daring Do TRICKED me into eating them. Had several cut up into my fruit salad as I had her tied up and when I was incapacitated, she decided to make off with everything I’d rightfully earned! Stole an entire’s MONTH worth of gold and jewelry I’d dug up away from me!”

Mardek listened with rapt attention. Ahuizotl went on and on, talking about how Daring Do was a rotten little thief who was always screwing him over. But of course, that wasn’t all that he did. It wasn’t just enough to demonize your opponent. Oh no. You had to humanize yourself. And so Ahuizotl had talked about his father.

“You know, my father used to beat me up quite hard. My father loved using the cane.” Ahuizotl said, holding up a fake cane and thrashing at the air as Mardek sat nearby on a tree stump by a large jungle pyramid. “He would thrash me, again and again! Then raise me in the air by my ears or my hair while he shouted “IT’S GOOD FOR THE BRAIN”!”

“Geez…” Mardek murmured. “That sounds...harsh…”

“There was only ONE time I ever saw my father truly happy. He took me to the circus when I was seven.” Ahuizotl said, tone becoming whistful. “See, there was this one clown they had, a silly-looking pony with loooong, checkered pants, and a little tiny dog was always nipping at his heels. And every time the pony tried to stop and KICK at the pup...THWOMP! Down went his pants and he fell right on his rear!” Ahuizotl said as Mardek began to chuckle.

“Ha ha ha ha…”

“I thought my father was gonna keel over and DIE laughing! So…” Ahuizotl raised a finger up in the air, chuckling a bit. “I decided that I’d do the same kind of thing! The next day, when my father came back home, there I was wearing one of his his loincloths. I said “Father, look here”, took a big pratfall…”

“Hahahahahahahaha!”

“And THWOOMP! I tore the crotch clean off his loincloth, falling right on my behind!”

“HAHAHAHAHAHA!” Mardek began to howl with laughter, his father grinning as he calmly waited for his son to finish up before he said, in a deadpan tone-

“He slapped me so hard he broke his pinky and my nose.”

Mardek stopped laughing. He stared at his dad, gaping in surprise.

“I learned an important lesson that day. You can’t count on anyone. Especially not your “heroes”.” Ahuizotl remarked with a sigh.

It became clear the more time Mardek spent with his dad and the more his father talked about Daring Do that Ahuizotl had been dealt an awful hand in life. Having finally left his father after that incident with the beating, he had had nothing, and had been forced to steal to survive. And there to screw everything up was the self-righteous Daring Do, always making things miserable for his poor father. What made HER stealing any more right than his dad’s? She HAD a nice job as a writer! And she didn’t mind being single! But Ahuizotl had wanted a family, a real life. You needed money to set that kind of thing up.

Meeting Tiamat was a way to help make that dream come true, and Mardek had sworn to help his father. Now that dream was his as well...

And Mardek knew that dream wouldn’t come true as long as friggin’ Daring Do was still around. Sighing, Mardek looked over his father’s tossed-aside plans, turning them over in his hands and frowning. “Darn it. There has to be SOMETHING in here that I could do that would cheer Dad up and get rid of Dar-”

And then he saw it. He realized what to do and a grin came to his face.

… “You’d all better take a look at this.” Daring Do said, unfurling the magic scroll and tapping the center as an image of Mardek himself materialized before Twilight and Toriel and Spike in her room, all of them sitting around in a half-circle as Spike nervously munched on some cookies.

“I hope this reaches you. I didn’t know if you would get it or maybe if it would blow away or something, but...this is serious. My father’s REALLY lost it. He swore he’d get even with you if it was the, and I quote, “Last damnable thing he ever did”. He’s going to wipe out ALL of Ponyville and you with it, cuz he KNOWS that if you find out an entire town’s going up, you’ll of course come to try and help. Gas bombs, magic barriers to keep anyone from escaping the place when time-activated sigils are used, the whole works! By tomorrow night, the entire town will become one big, charred ghost town! You…” Mardek took a deep breath. “It isn’t fun anymore. I can’t trust him. I wanted to bring my mom over here, but I don’t trust him around her. Or me. I can help you stop him if you promise me protection. Come alone to the lake, tonight, 10:00. I’ll hand over all of my dad’s plans, everything, but ONLY to you. You’re the only one I trust who can stop him.”

With that, the magical scroll faded, Twilight rubbing her chin as she turned to Toriel. “What do you think?”

“He seems terrified.” Toriel admitted. “And normally, I would be more frightened of the prospect of Tiamat returning. But here? With what it sounds like Ahuizotl is planning?”

“He’s always kept pushing the limits of what he’d do.” Daring Do muttered. “I learned that pretty...damn...quick.”

“No KIDDING! I mean, did you HEAR what he did to Dr. Caballeron?” Spike asked as all of them reflexively shuddered. “I heard he got so horrified when they handed him a mirror he tried to EAT HIS OWN HEAD.”

“He DID. They still haven’t fully grown it all back.” Twilight added as she shook her head back and forth.

“Okay, I’ll go.” Daring Do admitted as she rubbed her temples before sighing. “But here’s what we’re gonna do…”

And indeed, that night, Daring Do was making her way towards the lake as the moon reflected softly in the lake’s surface. Mardek was biting his nails, cringing a bit as Daring approached, a suitcase in his tail-hand, wings folded on his back. “You had something for me?”

“H-Here. I’ll-I’ll open it. I know you probably think it’s booby-trapped.”

“I watched for half an hour, checking for henchmen or your dad to show up. Better safe than sorry.” Daring Do reasoned calmly, tilting her hat down a bit as Mardek opened up the suitcase, showing off a wide variety of plans as Daring Do looked them over. “...WOW, some of these are...I mean, WOW. I’d wanna shake Ahuizotl’s hand. Right before I punch him in the face. These are seriously, disturbingly twisted in their brilliance.”

“I GUESS I should be flattered you think so highly of my dad?” Mardek remarked, Daring Do chuckling before coughing, and sneezing a bit, sniffing at the air...before realizing something had been on the plans. A faint, BARELY visible layer of dust-

No. Not dust.

“...you poisoned me.” She realized aloud, Mardek chuckling slightly.

“Well, what can I say? Being devilishly brilliant runs in the family, I guess.” He remarked, Daring Do flopping over onto her side with a THWUMP as Mardek calmly rubbed his hands together.

-------------

“Unnnggghhh…” Daring Do groaned, her head swimming, blinking over and over as she looked around. She was hanging upside-down, layers of chains wrapped around her, hanging over an enormous crystal cage filled with enormous, awful rats that were chittering and chattering and hissing up at her, somewhere in a warehouse. Exactly where said warehouse was, she wasn’t sure. The place was well-lit, but the windows had been boarded up, making it impossible to see outside, and the front door was locked too, a large chain in front of it.

“About time you’re awake. I had to make sure you were chained up, and BOY, took me a while!” Mardek cheerily remarked, sitting on a nearby chair, gnawing away on a rat-on-a-stick, slurping up the tail.

“Your father...wh-where?” Daring Do began to say.

“Ah-ah-ah.” Mardek’s tail hand swept a finger back and forth. “It’s just you, the crystal cage you’re hanging over and me. I finally get to prove to my father I can pull off one of his plans. See, he always wanted you to be, like, eaten by rats, the last sight you ever saw their grinning faces. But he couldn’t ever get them to SMILE, so I had a bright idea. Just turn you upside down! Ta-daaaa! Now those ugly mugs are smiling!” Mardek said with a grin as he gestured at the cage with both hands, grinning in delight as Daring Do wryly looked him over, then down at the rats.

“...yeah. Real clever, I admit.” She commented. “I’m sure your dad would be very proud of you...if he really cared.”

“What do you mean, “if he really cared”?!” Mardek said with a growl.

“If he really cared about you, he wouldn’t treat you just like glorified hired help. A good father wouldn’t put his son in danger. I mean, making you break him out of prison for tax evasion? Stealing silver? And did you even FINISH your classes in the minotaur school system? He didn’t try to give you a normal life.”

“What my father wants is a family! And we’re gonna have that when we build the portal to bring mom over!” Mardek insisted with a frown.

Daring Do shook her head. “Ahuizotl doesn’t love you or your mother. He only loves himself. Who do you think his FIRST lover was? The one who INTRODUCED him to looking for fabulous artifacts? And instead of donating them to museums, wanted to sell them on the black market or use them for his own selfish gain?”

Mardek’s angered face now crumbled as he stared, mouth agape, Daring Do continuing, not blinking once...staring deep into Mardek’s eyes. “What sob story did he tell you to get you to do what he wanted, Mardek? Was it the one about the abusive father? He got a lot of sympathy out of that. Even Dr. Caballeron, coldhearted as HE is, fell for that tale, especially when he added in the tale of the runaway mom. Time after time when I asked his goons why they’d work for him, it wasn’t just the money. Oh no. It was the same type of story over and over again. Heck, I remember the very first lie he told me back when we were still together…”

Daring Do closed her eyes, reciting from memory as Mardek’s body began to shudder. “There was only ONE time I ever saw my father truly happy. He took me to the ice show when I was seven.”

“...circus.”

“What?” Daring Do asked, opening her eyes, seeing Mardek had turned away from her and was holding his head in one hand, his body shuddering and shaking.

“He said it was the circus.”

“...the only thing Ahuizotl has ever really loved other than power and wealth...is himself. And he has a million stories he tells to guilt trip hired help into throwing their lives away for him. You weren’t any different any more than…” Daring Do bit her lip, sighing. “...any more than I thought I was.”

“Y-You’re...you’re LYING! You always lie! My dad loves me!” Mardek screamed out. “I’ll just lower you into the cage and watch you get eaten alive! THEN after I bring your SCRAPS to him, he’ll-he’ll see!” Mardek screamed, eyes reddened and tearful.

“How’s he gonna know it’s me, Mardek? Rats will eat ANYTHING. All you’ll have are bones and scraps of cloth. Anyone can fake it. Your dad will want to SEE me dead. He won’t believe you really did it unless he sees it with his own eyes, right?” Daring Do asked, Mardek biting his lip as he looked to the crank that held the chained Daring Do over the cage, then to her…

Well. Needless to say, within ten minutes, Toriel and Twilight and Spike saw the “bait” had been taken. They had secretly followed Daring Do after putting a tracer spell on her, and now they saw Ahuizotl racing into a pyramid deep, deep in the Everfree Forest. All three at the ready, they slunk through the forest, Toriel’s fists clenched as burning fire sizzled in her palm, Twilight and Spike readying an imprisonment scroll, Twilight whispering the proper incantations to Spike for him to use in case HER spells got counterbalanced.

“Okay, approach from the west, Spike. Toriel, you take the north, I’ll take the east side-” Twilight began to say before a loud “MARDEEEEK” filled the air, all of their eyes widening at the furious tone of Ahuizotl.

Uhoh.

“I don’t understand, I-I thought you WANTED him gone…” Mardek whimpered, looking up at his father...a visible slap mark all over his face, Ahuizotl having hit him SO hard...he’d almost broken his pinky.

“Only if I’M the one doing it!” Ahuizotl snapped angrily, gesturing back at the cage as Mardek held up the plans he’d used.

“But it’s still your plans, Dad! Look! I just hung Daring Do upside-down. Now the frowns on the faces of the rats look like smiles and it works perfect!”

“Well. That IS interesting.” Ahuizotl remarked, looking the plans over as he turned to Daring Do and smirked. “I guess my son really is a chip off the old block, eh, Daring Do?” Daring Do looked sadly over at Mardek as Ahuizotl frowned. “What? Wishing he could have been yours? You had your chance with me years ago.”

“Funny. I was gonna say the same to you. Why didn’t you tell your son that you used to be married before you met his mother?” Daring asked, Ahuizotl slowly turning to look at his son, who stared deep into his eyes.

“Is it true, Dad? Did you and Daring Do used to be...in love?”

“I WAS very fond of you, Daring.” Ahuizotl remarked calmly. “Once. But then you had to stand on a stupid principle and interfere. You had everything while I starved and scraped and suffered! I deserved a slice of the pie!”

“Being a successful writer isn’t “having everything”. I have NO family, no children, and most of my money is spent on expeditions to get inspiration for my new books.” Daring Do said with a frown. “You KNEW that when you dated me. I thought you shared my love of finding the unknown, learning about it. But all you did in the end was exploit me for what you wanted, the same way you’re doing to your son.”

“He will honor and obey his father. It’s what a child’s supposed to do.” Ahuizotl said with a dark frown.

“YOU need to obey commandment number 5...THOU SHALT NOT MURDER!” Toriel’s voice rang out as Ahuizotl turned, Twilight standing in the doorway to his right, horn aglow. She launched a burning, purplish-blue set of chains from her forehead, but they bounced off of him as he smirked.

“HA! I’ve an anti-magical barrier over me, my dear.” He said as Spike frowned, his own summoned spell from the scroll he’d transcribed launching waves of lightning at Ahuizotl as they calmly dissipated against a crystalline shield around him, Toriel kneeling by Mardek, gently rubbing over his chin, the wound healing as he looked up at her soft eyes, then at his dad as his father walked towards the crank holding up Daring Do over the rats in the crystal cage. “Really, this is just pathetic. None of you have the raw fighting skills to beat me. All you’ve got are your stupid magical parlor tricks!” Ahuizotl snorted, backhanding Toriel away from his son as he walked right past Mardek…

But then Mardek’s tail hand snatched hold of his dad’s leg, and with a THWOOOOMP! His father was sent FLYING through the air, crashing through the crystal cage, knocking into Daring Do and sending her flopping to the ground nearby as the rats immediately bolted about, then swarmed on Ahuizotl, who was the larger, nicer-smelling treat, unlike Daring Do, who just smelled like sweat and leather. Sometimes it just didn’t help to put heavy conditioner in your fur.

“OW OW OW OW OW OW SONOFA-”

Mardek watched calmly as Toriel began undoing the chains around Daring Do, Spike barreling at Ahuizotl with Twilight as he breathed a burning, searing green fireball, Ahuizotl howling and rolling around on the ground as Toriel finished, then walked over to Ahuizotl, taking hold of him by the scruff of the neck…

And BACKHANDING him so hard he was knocked out, Daring Do looking over at Mardek...who was already long gone out the door.

“...Mardek…” Daring murmured softly.

“He still has all his father’s silver, doesn’t he?” Toriel asked. “He will find a way to bring his mother here as soon as he can. She’s really all he has left now.”

“...I know.” Daring muttered, hanging her head. “I’m not surprised. A boy’s best friend is his mother...”

“Whatever did you SEE in him, Daring?” Twilight asked as Daring Do glanced now at Ahuizotl, cringing.

“Sometimes I wonder. I really do.”

PreviousChapters Next