• Published 9th Jan 2016
  • 15,847 Views, 544 Comments

Twilight Sparkle Becomes a Changeling Queen, Book 1 - bahatumay



Twilight Sparkle has been through some interesting changes in her life. She wasn't quite ready for this one.

  • ...
30
 544
 15,847

Chapter 15

That afternoon, Twilight exhaled and scratched absentmindedly at her foreleg. This stress was not good for her. She was itching everywhere; her coat was starting to thin in places and hairs sloughed off every time she scratched. But she couldn’t worry about that now. Her experiment had begun, and now it was time for assessing preliminary data. “Day one. What's the damage?” she asked. It was often best to start with the unpleasant things.

Bruch flipped through a clipboard held in his green magic. “None so far, unless you count the three fillies getting mildly sick from varnish fumes. Foro also reported an astounding amount of… um…” He squinted, unsure if the words he read were correct.

“Tree sap?” Twilight guessed flatly.

Bruch looked back down at the paper again. “Yes,” he said, surprised that she had managed to guess. “Tree sap.”

“That's par for the course with those three,” Twilight murmured. “How many stayed?”

“Stayed?”

“Yeah. Stayed.”

Bruch frowned. “We’ve all stayed,” he said. “We would not abandon our princess.”

“No, I mean… stayed with the ponies you were assigned to.”

Bruch’s frown deepened. “Why would we do that?” he asked.

“Why wouldn’t you?”

“We always return to the hive.”

It was Twilight’s turn to frown. “But if you’re going to be integrated into pony society, you’ll need to get along with other ponies, right?”

Bruch was silent.

“Right?” Twilight asked, a bit less certain this time.

Bruch licked his fangs. “Princess, may I speak freely?”

Twilight nodded.

“We do not want to integrate. This isn’t our way.”

Twilight blinked. “What?”

“We are changelings. We are outsiders. We will never belong with the ponies, not while they know that we hunt them. We live and thrive in the shadows. While we can change who we are, we can't change what we are.”

“And what are you, Bruch?” Twilight asked quietly.

Bruch shook his head weakly. “We are changelings. I can't explain much better than that.”

“What if integration works, though?” Twilight asked.

“And what if it doesn’t?” Bruch asked quietly.

Twilight opened her mouth, and then shut it again. Friendship always worked, right? Friendship always won.

Bruch realized he might have overstepped his boundaries, and attempted a little bit of damage control. “It was a good idea, even if it failed-”

“No!” Twilight corrected. “I have not failed. I have just successfully found a way that doesn't work.”

Bruch blinked. “So… you failed.”

Twilight waved a hoof. “It's a pony saying,” she said. “I'll just go back to the drawing board and-”

“Princess, we appreciate the effort; but we accepted our fate a long time ago.”

Twilight nodded slowly.

“We are willing to go along with any of your experiments, Princess. We trust you. We love you. We live to serve you. But ordering us to do things against our nature…” His voice trailed off, clearly uncertain about how to continue. “It will be difficult,” he finished.

Twilight exhaled. “Alright. I’ll need to… consider a few things,” she said. She held out her hoof expectantly. Bruch gave her the notes, and then silently watched her leave.

Twilight walked up the stairs, entered her room, shut the door, and then spun around and leaned on it, sliding defeatedly to the ground. She exhaled slowly. This was mildly disheartening.

Spike looked up from his reading. “How go the integrations?” he asked. He had remained mostly in Twilight’s room during his time here. Ever since the incident in the crystal caves, the changelings seemed to be giving him a wide berth, which was frankly quite all right with him.

Then again, he did get a larger basket out of the deal, and two small bony lumps were beginning to protrude from his back right where wings should go, so he couldn’t hold too big of a grudge against them. Besides, when else could he read comics all day without Twilight getting on his case?

Twilight looked over her notes again. “To be honest? Pretty ‘bleh’. I mean, there's Tinder, who's staying with Fluttershy; but that's about it. No changeling really wants to stay permanently; they seem to work like bees, collecting nectar and then going back to the hive.” She froze. “And apparently you’re not supposed to compare them to bees because that’s mildly offensive.”

Spike shrugged. He’d never had a problem with bees; their stingers couldn’t pierce his scales.

“And then I looked over some of the comments from the townsponies. Ponyville seems to be fairly accepting, but on more of a NIMBY status.”

“Nimby? Like the mouse lady?”

“That's Frisby,” Twilight corrected absentmindedly. “NIMBY stands for 'not in my backyard'. They don't mind having them around; they just don't want them around, you know?”

Spike scratched his head. “Maybe?”

Twilight sighed. “From both sides, integration isn’t working. I thought for sure friendship would overcome their differences…”

“Well, yeah; but maybe you’re going about this wrong,” Spike said with a shrug. “I mean, you’re friends differently with everypony, right? You’re friends with Pinkie Pie by letting her be her, and by eating her cupcakes. You’re friends with Rainbow Dash by watching her fly and not letting her ego get too big. You’re friends with Rarity by letting her do your mane and… well…” He sighed wistfully and clutched his comic book to his chest. “Actually, anything she does wouldn’t be all that bad.”

Twilight cracked a smile. “I suppose you’re right,” she said. “Maybe I’m trying to force my thinking on them, to make them like me. That’s not friendship, either.”

“So what’s the plan now?”

“I originally scheduled two weeks of this; but if these are my results already, I think we’ll cancel the experiment and head back to Canterlot. Tinder can stay with Fluttershy if he wants, and I’m fairly certain he will.”

“Still in those crystal caves?” Spike asked.

“Yeah.” Twilight exhaled slowly. “And from what I can tell, they’re not exactly happy there, either. Too cramped, and getting in and out isn’t…” 'technically supposed to be possible', she thought; but instead changed it to “-hard; but it’s time-consuming. They’re not used to that.”

“Wow,” Spike said. “So what are you going to do?”

“I don’t know, Spike,” Twilight admitted quietly. “I really don’t know.”

The hug Spike gave her was deeply needed and profoundly appreciated.

* * *

That evening, there came a knock at the door of the library. Twilight lit her horn and winked into existence right beside the door, startling the changelings playing cards nearby. She opened it and was mildly surprised to see Zecora, flanked by a changeling.

“Zecora,” she said. “What a surprise. Would you like to come in?”

The zebra shook her head. “I’m afraid I cannot tarry; at night the Everfree turns quite scary. I felt the need to walk Scir here home; I didn’t trust her on her own.”

Scir gave Twilight a sheepish smile.

Twilight nodded understandingly. “I’ve learned my lesson about walking through the Everfree by myself,” she said as Scir slunk inside, ears drooping. “Trust me. It's a... rock-hard lesson I won't forget. How did it go today?”

“As you may have well suspected, it went better than I expected. You would be surprised as well how useful is an assistant who cannot smell.”

“Stinkroot helps coats shine. Who'd've thunk?” Scir chimed in.

Zecora gave a wry smile; she hadn’t understood the words. “Though I understand not a word they say, her assistance helped to brighten my day.” She paused. “One question, if I might. Why do you wear your sunglasses at night?”

Twilight adjusted them. “No reason,” she said, her voice cracking a bit more than she'd like.

Zecora cracked a smile and let the matter rest. Then she chewed on her lower lip, as if considering something else. “Another I must ask, if I may be so bold: will they be staying here in the Ponyville fold?”

Twilight grimaced. “Not quite,” she said. “I thought integration was the answer; but it might cause more harm than good on both sides.” She glanced back at the changelings, who were all trying very hard to appear as though they were not listening… and failing drastically; Hrit still had a hoof resting on the draw pile, and one ear cocked to hear the conversation better. She cracked a smile. “Sometimes what ponies think their friends need and what their friends actually need are two very different things.”

Zecora exhaled, relieved. “I felt the stares of judging strong; it would have been tiresome before long.” She glanced up towards Scir, who was clinging to the wall as she listened in, and gave her a smile. “Perhaps you’ll come and visit me again, though perhaps disguised with a zebra’s skin.”

Scir nodded and burst into flame, revealing that she could, indeed, disguise herself as a zebra.

Unfortunately, zebras cannot cling to walls like changelings can, and with a yelp she slid to the ground, landing in a jumble of hooves and fur.

Zecora laughed as she and Twilight helped Scir up. Scir inclined her head respectfully towards Zecora. “Goodbye, my friend. Someday we shall meet again,” the changeling rhymed.

Zecora smiled as she left, disappearing into the night.

Twilight glanced around at the gathered changelings. She crossed a hind leg over and scratched absentmindedly. “So… who’s up for ponopoly?” she offered.

* * *

It was getting close to midnight, but the game was still in full-swing (sometimes literally). Twilight glared at her five property cards, none of which were the same color, and then at the fourteen cards owned by Tinder sitting next to her. The quiet changeling had barely said a word all night—a few times, she had almost been convinced that he had fallen asleep—but he had somehow accrued quite the balance of funds. Not her, though. She had had the worst luck. It was so bad that when there came another knock at the door, she teleported over just to get away from the game.

When she opened the door, though, she was surprised to see a familiar pony standing there. “Cheerilee?”

Cheerilee nodded, eyes slightly downcast.

“Would you like to come inside?” Twilight asked.

“Thank you,” Cheerilee said, taking a few tiny steps forward. She swallowed as if to steel herself, and then spoke. “May I borrow a changeling?”

Twilight blinked. That was certainly an odd request. “That’s really up to them.” Twilight took a step back and to the side, allowing Cheerilee passage further into her house.

Cheerilee swallowed nervously, but gamely stepped forward towards the nearest changeling. “Um… hello,” she started.

The changeling tilted its head and blinked its pupil-less eyes, as if trying to comprehend Cheerilee. Then she closed her eyes and burst into flame, becoming a pony that looked exactly like Cheerilee, but with her mane and coat colors swapped.

Cheerilee noticed with mild trepidation that he/she/it had even copied her cutie mark. That unsettled her somewhat. And that was quite the accomplishment; she was unsettled enough coming here in the first place.

The disguised changeling tilted her head. “For what?”

“Do I need to answer that?” Cheerilee asked hesitantly.

“A better question might be, what are you looking for?” the changeling rephrased her question.

Cheerilee shook her head slightly. “I'm asking for a foal to spend the night,” she said, a bit confused.

“Are you asking for a foal to spend the night-” here she jerked her head towards the table, indicating a peaceful evening of games, “-or to spend the night?” She dragged out the 'I' sound in the last syllable, and she ran her tongue across the front of her teeth and flicked her tail.

“Wha- no! Ew! Ugh- No! Celestia's flowing tail no!” Cheerilee shuddered and took a full step back. “It's not that at all. I... I...” She took a deep breath, steeling herself for her confession. “I have always wanted a foal of my own, but I... I can't. I am… infertile.”

The changeling winced noticeably. This was a painful issue that traversed species boundaries.

Cheerilee continued, her eyes still fastened firmly on the ground. “I haven't even gone into heat in years. I was hoping I could pretend, just for one night, that I was a real mother.”

The changeling nodded, and then trotted away up the stairs.

Cheerilee watched, confused. “Aren't you going to-?”

The disguised changeling slowed to a stop. “It's more real if you don't see it happen,” she said quietly.

Cheerilee nodded slowly.

Sure enough, within seconds, a little filly emerged from Twilight's room on the top floor. She peered out from the railing and looked around.

Cheerilee felt her heart rate begin to increase. She'd chosen a similar color scheme to her own, and had become an earth pony at that. She hadn’t chosen a cutie mark; she was young and likely still eager to learn.

Her eyes fell upon Cheerilee, and she visibly brightened. She scampered down the stairs and ran right into Cheerilee's forelegs. “Mama! You came!”

Cheerilee instinctively gathered her into a hug and brushed her lips against the top of her mane in a loving, chaste, instinctive kiss. “Of course I did, sweetheart,” she said, the words springing unbidden to her lips.

“I had fun today! Miss Twilight taught us how to play ponopoly, and I was winning!”

“Were you now?”

“Well, second place; but I think Tinder was cheating.” She turned and stuck her tongue out at Tinder, then smiled widely and attempted to suppress a yawn.

Cheerilee knew she was being played, but still, her maternal instincts were stronger. She lifted the filly up onto her back. “Come along, then, little…?” Her voice trailed off. Did she pick a name, or would the changeling choose?

“My name's Chestnut, mommy,” Chestnut said, kneading her hooves against Cheerilee’s mane. “You're silly!”

Cheerilee nodded, feeling a strange tightness in her throat. “Of course, Chestnut. But I love you anyway.”

Chestnut flopped forward, resting her hooves atop Cheerilee’s head. “I know. I love you too, Mommy.” And together, the two headed out.

Twilight poked her head out the door and stared. She knew it was Scir, she had seen that it was Scir; but still, it was a stark contrast to watch a changeling who had previously called down all manner of curses on Tinder’s egglayer and threatened to forcibly shove the board up Hrit’s cloaca suddenly bounding along and babbling like any normal little filly. “She's good,” she whispered, slightly disturbed. “She’s really good.”

* * *

Bright and early the next morning, Cheerilee was woken up by a gentle prodding on her forehead. She groaned… and then froze. Her eyes snapped open. She lived alone. Who was in her house?

“Mommy, we’re hungry.”

Mommy? “We?” Cheerilee rubbed her eyes and sat up.

And then her jaw dropped.

Surrounding her bed were no less than five foals, all at varying ages, but all young and all looking at her. Most were earth ponies, one was a pegasus. One looked down, pawed at the ground, and looked up again hopefully.

Cheerilee felt her breath come raggedly. She pushed herself out of her bed, and then gently hugged each of the foals, one by one, pulling them close and just enjoying the close contact. When she was done, she reached up and wiped away a tear from the corner of her eye. “Let me get you something to eat, my… my children.”

* * *

Twilight blinked as she heard Scir’s report. “I still can’t decide if that’s cruel or kind,” she finally said.

“She was happy.” Scir shrugged. “Temporary or not, she was happy, and we got fed. I'm really not seeing any downside.”

Twilight found she had no response to this. Even so, she couldn't help but feel that her morality had just become a bit grayer.

* * *

Surrounded by royal guards (and more than likely a changeling or two disguised as a royal guard), Twilight led the changelings back through town towards the train station. Many ponies had come out to see them off, probably more out of curiosity than support.

She waved at Fluttershy, who was standing next to a light blue pegasus with a long flowy mane. The pegasus met Twilight’s eyes and nodded. Twilight cracked a smile. At least one changeling had found a home here.

Now she just had the whole hive minus one to worry about.