• Published 9th Jan 2016
  • 15,841 Views, 544 Comments

Twilight Sparkle Becomes a Changeling Queen, Book 1 - bahatumay



Twilight Sparkle has been through some interesting changes in her life. She wasn't quite ready for this one.

  • ...
30
 544
 15,841

Chapter 12

A noble who wishes to stay nobility knows when it is safe to speak, and when it is safest to whisper. In spite of this—or perhaps because of this—a princess knows when and where to listen to get the information she needs, regardless of the manner it’s shared.

Unfortunately, this time she didn’t even need to listen closely to hear the rumors. Nobility everywhere didn’t even bother to lower their voices as they expressed their disgust with the changelings. There was talk of an expulsion order, headed by Prince Blueblood himself, that would require any changeling who entered Canterlot to be thrown in a dungeon (his words exactly). He had, of course, neglected to consider the logistics of this order. Still, the idea seemed to be gaining some traction.

This is why Twilight Sparkle had issued a hive-wide summons, looking for volunteers for a trip to Ponyville.

“Ponyville?” Bruch asked, confused.

“Yes,” Twilight said. “It’s a more welcoming town than Canterlot. If somepony like me can find friends there, surely changelings will be accepted. We’re going to start by placing changelings with my friends, and then go on from there.” She paused. “I hope,” she added quietly.

“Placing?” Bruch asked, his voice now wary.

Twilight cracked a smile. “If they can put up with me, putting up with changelings who are actually trying to fit in shouldn't be hard at all. It will show that changelings can coexist with ponies.”

Bruch paused, mentally running through that scenario. “That sounds…”

“Utopian?” Twilight supplied.

Bruch cocked his head, unfamiliar with that term.

“Too good to be true?” Twilight tried.

Bruch hesitated, then nodded.

Twilight exhaled, her breath carrying the weight this new queenship had forced upon her. “It might be,” she admitted, “but we have to try.”

Bruch found he had no rebuttal to this.

“Now I just need…” Her voice trailed off as two changelings suddenly appeared in front of her.

“We heard you were looking for volunteers?” Nimri asked with what must have been for changelings a winning smile. Apparently, changelings showed off their fangs when trying to garner attention.

Twilight regretfully shook her head. “I'm afraid I'll need you to sit this one out.”

“Not us?” Ithir wondered, hurt crossing his face.

“Have we displeased you in some way?” Nimri asked, his voice worried and nearly a whisper.

“Of course not,” Twilight said firmly. “But my vision is that every changeling can join pony society, not just the exceptionally skilled infiltrators such as yourselves.”

Ithir blinked, and then shrugged nonchalantly, but it was clear that he felt highly complimented.

“So that’s why I’m looking for many different changelings, each with their own perspectives, and by doing so, I’ll hopefully be proving that no matter how odd they may be, all changelings can work together with ponies.”

One passing changeling poked her head up hopefully and looked back, but when she saw who had been speaking she quickly ducked her head again and continued walking.

Twilight frowned. For some reason, her curiosity was piqued. “Who is that?” she asked.

Bruch grimaced. “That’s... Ponneka, Princess.”

Twilight called. “Ponneka!”

The changeling froze. Her wings and short tail clenched tightly against her body, and her ears pinned against her head. Twilight found it interesting how changelings and ponies reacted similarly.

She slowly turned around, eyes fixed firmly on the ground. “Yes, Princess?” she asked in a whisper.

“Did you want to come to Ponyville, too?”

“They wouldn't want me,” she said quietly.

Twilight glanced over at Bruch. “Why not?”

“She’s... she’s a poniphile, Princess.” Bruch was noticeably embarrassed about this.

“What does that mean?” Twilight asked, looking at the changeling in question.

She didn’t meet Twilight’s gaze. “I... I like having sex with ponies, Princess,” Ponneka explained, in a nearly inaudible voice. It was obviously a sign of shame, or at the very least strongly taboo in changeling culture.

“Well, you do have ‘pony’ in your name.”

Ponneka glanced up long enough to protest, “It’s Pon-NEH-ka, not Pon-NEE-ka,” before quickly remembering where she was, and dropping her head once more. It almost looked like she expected to be struck.

“It... still sounds the same to me,” Twilight admitted. She turned back to Bruch. “But I thought changelings did that anyway?”

Bruch rolled his eyes. “Changelings will do it, but that doesn’t mean we like it. I imagine a lion doesn’t particularly care for chasing down his prey, but he does anyway. I imagine eagles don’t enjoy squinting into the sun to find fish, but they do it anyway. We are hunters. We do what we must to survive.”

“Interesting,” Twilight murmured. “You’re quite the philosophical race, aren’t you?”

“More like our minds wander when hunger pangs keep us awake at night,” Bruch corrected quietly.

Twilight bit her lower lip. As queen of the changelings, she felt responsible for that, and made a quiet promise to herself that no changeling would go hungry again. She shook her head to clear it, turned to face Ponneka, and continued. “All right, then. You’re in.”

Ponneka’s ears pricked up and her eyes widened. A slow smile spread across her face.

“But, Princess,” Bruch protested.

All perspectives,” Twilight repeated.

Bruch scowled and exhaled slowly, but did not argue further. “Fine, but she’s not sitting next to me on the train.”

Twilight flinched. “Oh, that reminds me… I should probably let my friends know we're coming.”

“They don't know?” Bruch asked.

“I kindof forgot to tell them,” Twilight admitted sheepishly. “But I’m sure they’ll agree, no problem.”

* * *

“I'm not sure I can agree with that,” Applejack said slowly.

Twilight grimaced. This wasn't quite how she'd expected it to go. Then again, she had somewhat compensated for this possibility by asking her friends to come one at a time, just to space things out. Applejack and Rainbow Dash would be the most stubborn, and so they were here first.

Applejack adjusted her hat and continued. “Look, Twilight. I trust you, and your judgement. But what I don't trust is them,” she said, jabbing a hoof at the changelings.

The door opened, and Rarity entered, head held high. She slowed to a stop as she saw the changelings behind Twilight. “What's going on?” Rarity asked, her voice raising a few pitches.

“Twilight's trying to stick changelings with us,” Rainbow said quickly.

That made Rarity pause. “Is that so?" she asked, her voice now nearly an octave higher than usual.

“I think it’d be a good example,” Twilight said weakly. “It'd... show how they can... live with us?”

“They’re creepy,” Rainbow emphasized, pointing again. “I mean, look at those eyes!”

Hrit stuck his tongue out at Rainbow when she looked away, and quickly pulled it back inside his mouth when she looked at him. She narrowed her eyes, not buying his innocent whistling act for a second. He'd done something, but she wasn't sure what.

“They're not…” Twilight sighed. “Ok, they kindof are,” she admitted. “But I think they could be a great asset.”

“Or just be pains in ours,” Rainbow countered.

Twilight frowned. “Rainbow…” she said.

Rainbow exhaled. “Fine,” she grumbled. “I’ll go along with this. But I won't be happy about it.”

“Happy about what?”

Twilight looked up and saw Fluttershy, standing in the doorway.

“She's gonna try and stick changelings with us.”

Fluttershy blinked, and then followed Rainbow's hoof to where the changelings stood. Her eyes widened—having them in the same hospital room was one thing; but being in her cottage?—and then her eyes rolled back in her head and she fainted.

Rarity sniffed. “She took that rather well.”

Twilight began massaging her temples. Perfect. Really.