• Published 11th Dec 2015
  • 8,469 Views, 575 Comments

Spike Quits His Job and Goes on Numerous Quests - B_25

  • ...
54
 575
 8,469

PreviousChapters Next
33 – "Not Like This"

“Not Like This”

The two makeshift climbing spears, at one point, being a flagpost that had been broken into what they are now, impaled themselves into the holes of deteriorated stone. Still strong enough to hold the dragon who clung to their metallic ends.

Spike hugged the wall for support as he yanked out one of the spears, allowing for his tail to slither around it, before bringing it down and stabbing it into the stone just below his feet.

The frigid wind cut into him and whistled into his ear, swaying his body off from the spears in an attempt to whisk his form into their current. But Spike allowed no such thing as he would cling only tighter to the wall, while his tail continued in lowering the spears where his feet would drop upon.

“Again.” The dragon’s word was mostly taken away by the winds, though this did not stop him from talking to himself. “I really wish I was one of those dragon’s who had wings. I’d even be willing to practice atop the tower until I got the hang of them.”

Not even Spike laughed at his joke as he dropped down to another spear, repeating the slow process downward. The next spear created its hole within the corner’s of the stone, creating a cloud of dust to waft, and the tower to vibrate.

“Not like this,” Spike said as he clenched his eyes to avoid seeing the consequence for his impatience to go slower and softly along the tower, and was relieved when the vibrations stopped tickling his chest. “Whoof. I really on that—”

A powerful gust of wind bore itself onto the dragon that caused his claw to slip from around the spear, as he was pulled backward into the open air by the wind, but not before impaling the sharp contours of his claws into the stone.

Multiple cracks resounded louder than the wind off the canyon surrounding the sea, the primal cry of pain that came afterward enough to shake its rocks and stir the dust atop them into the air.

Spike felt the stone loosening away from its place under the pulling weight of his claw as he floated to the right, stretching his other claw toward the spear just out of his reach. It was so close, and yet, so far away. He pulled even harder on the stone that served to dislodge it faster, as well spur on more cracks in his claw so that he could wrap his talons around the spear once more.

The wind intensified tenfold as a wall of air slammed into the dragon, not strong enough to rip his talons off from the spear, but for its added weight enough for the pole to start slicing through the loose stones across the tower.

“Oh, crap!” Spike yelled as his body glided clockwise around the tower, the air sucking so hard on his legs to pull him into their grasp, yet he held onto the spear as if his life were at stake.

Despite that already being the case.

The flying form of Spike the dragon reached the front of the tower in a downward spiral, the pole tearing away at too lose a stone that fell away with it. The winds had their wish as Spike plummet leftward to the ground below.

Spike had other plans than meeting the solid ground growing ever closer, by twirling the pole in his claw until its sharp end faced the soon approaching stones of the left tower. Taking this as his last chance of survival without any thought of possible failure plaguing his mind, Spike narrowed his eyes on the weak corners of the stones as he propelled the spear into it.

The added momentum was enough for the blunt end of the spear to crush past the stone. Spike didn’t get the moment of break that he deserved as the winds from the forest ceased, and the cold gust of winds from the mountains began

“You’ve got to be kidding me!” Spike cried as the pole once again cut in a counterclockwise manner across the tower, the winds freezing his purple scales as he was once again carried in a downward spiral.

The sea began to present itself from the line that signified the end of the tower to the dragon’s eyes. His damaged claw rose to lay itself on the frozen spear, too weak to close its talons around it, as it limply fell off.

‘Not good.’ Spike bitterly thought to himself as he twirled around the left tower, soon reaching the part of the tower that stood parallel to the central tower. ‘The muscles in my right claw are losing their hold...I can’t take this punishment...for much longer.’

The dragon reached the gap between the two towers, deciding to take the risk that would allow him to reach land faster. Using his core muscles to drag his body along the wind and onto the tower, he used his second spliced to rip the pole from the stone’s grasp and kick off the tower in an attempt to reach the middle one.

No longer did the mountains blow forth their chilling winds, as the tame current from the forest picked up once more to push the dragon out of the gap and into the sea. Spike, who was an inch away from latching on to the front of the tower, was blown back as he was again taken by the winds into their open space.

Even if they were to carrying him down at the descending speed which they offered, the only thing that would survive his is blood mixing with the waters. So before the back of the central tower was out of his reach, Spike flung the pole into the stone once more, and rode the current on his terms rightward.

Once again in a similar fashion, the dragon reached the gap between the central tower and the right tower, where Spike pulled the same manner in spite of the wind to arrive at that other tower. The winds stopped for real this time as he was propelled in a downward spiral around it due to his monument.

Instead of the winds that changed drastically from freezing to tame, the dragon welcomed the warmness of the desert on his back. What he did not welcome, however, was how the tower shook and rumbled when he reached its front.

And how it began to sway forward over the exposed chamber.

“No. No. No!” The pole stopped slicing through the solid lines as if it were smooth butter, as the sudden stop propped the dragon forth and the pole stayed lodged behind, and the tower fell forth before him.

“Ah, crap!” Spike cried out as he watched the top of the tower fall before his eyes, he a mere distance away from it, as it came crashing through the exposed roof.

The dragon fell not too long after it. Falling rays of sunshine embraced the two falling forms as the smashed past the roof and collide with the rugged red floor of the chamber. The parts of the tower that fell within the confines began to shatter due to the impact and split along the ground.

While the dragon bounced and rolled along the full lengths of the chamber until he finally crashed into the colosseum sized door, where the whack of his head resounded off the forgotten walls outward to the now exposed ceiling.

With his every pain receptor being stimulated by the force of his impact, the dragon’s eyes drifted into an inky blackness.

Inside the hollow base of the fallen tower, where the spear was still ledge within its heart, the green aurora enveloping its dull end began to dissipate into nothingness.

Spike made it to solid ground all by himself, without the assistance of friends or wings.

PreviousChapters Next