• Published 11th Dec 2015
  • 8,451 Views, 575 Comments

Spike Quits His Job and Goes on Numerous Quests - B_25

  • ...
54
 575
 8,451

PreviousChapters Next
15 – "Knock at the Door."

~15~

"Knock at the Door."

The winds blew over the water’s surface, emitting a pleasant sound to Spike’s ear. Walks had become a necessity to Spike, after moving in with Fluttershy. Life before her proved to be too busy for such things, but now, it was a daily practice.

Walks put Spike at peace. Thoughts came and went, though appreciation for the world around him always stayed. Suffice to say; walks were part of Spike’s happiness.

But finding Fluttershy, hunched over on a bench, well...that added to Spike’s unhappiness. He broke out of his trance and rushed over to the mare.

“Fluttershy?”

Spike heard the sniffling of the nose, and then a sigh. Fluttershy turned her head to Spike, while her mane covered her right eye. “Oh, Spike,” she said with a dry voice. “You sure are taking you walk a little later today.”

“I didn’t have anyone to wake me up today,” Spike replied, brushing her mane aside, so that he may see her both her eyes, “so I kinda slept in.”

“Oh.” Fluttershy giggled, a smile finally appearing on her face. “Well, you’ve certainly been a good dragon lately, so I guess you deserve the extra hours.”

Spike gave a small chuckle, though his eyes remained sharp. “But I think you deserve the hours more; just how long were you out last night?”

“How did you know I was out?”

Spike chuckled. “You look like you haven’t slept – not that hard to put together.” Spike tilted his head. “What were you doing out all night?”

Fluttershy breathed, as she stood up from the bench. “Just had to work something out with an old friend. A really, really, old friend.” Fluttershy averted her gaze, in fear of looking at Spike, that she would break into tears.

“I better get going,” she said as she trotted past him, “please take the day off Spike. After Twilight, you really should have one.” And with that, Fluttershy ran back to her house without looking back.

Spike scratched the side of his head. Eyes were coming to a close on their own. So she went to visit Twilight. Spike looked up to the sky.

“Twilight, just what is going on with you?”

Spike continued his walk through the scenery, but nature could no longer offer him solace.


Falcon leaned back into a building, as he lit up a flame with his lighter. Inching his muzzle forward, his cigars caught flame. He sucked in the smoke while flipping his lighter to a close. He tasted the smoke before blowing it out.

“Few days around ponies, and I’m already craving smoke!” Flacon exclaimed, balancing the cigar between his lips. “If I stick around any longer, I think I have a drinking problem.” He sighed. “Just where is this dragon anyway?”

“Dragon?” A mare just passing Falcon repeated. She shook her head and turned around. “Uh, did I hear you right, mister?”

Falcon’s eyes looked to the cowgirl. “Yeah. A purple and green dragon, just a bit taller than you and me; his name is Spike.”

The cowgirl took a step closer to Falcon. “And just how do you know, Spike?”

Falcon smiled, taking the cigar out from his mouth. “I’m just interested in learning more about dragons, and apparently, he’s the only one you can ask around here.” Falcon turned his head to the mare. “So, how do you know about him?”

“I’ve known the little bugger since he’s been that, a little bugger, though he has matured these past few years.” The mare cleared her throat and extended a hoof. “The name is Applejack.”

Falcon placed the cigar back in his mouth as he met the hoof. “Name’s Falcon, nice you to meet you.”

Applejack shook the hoof with a bright smile. “And you as well. Say, I didn’t know other ponies had much in interest in dragons. So it’s quite a surprise.”

Falcon offered a goofy smile, shooting out more smoke.

Applejack turned to head away and groaned, battling her anger with a deep breath.

“So, Spike,” Falcon began, “where can I find him?”

Applejack sighed. “Sorry, Sugarcube. But I don’t think I can just give away the address of one of my friends.”

“Ah, come on!” Falcon exclaimed. “I’ve already spoken to Twilight about him, but she has no clue where he went. It looks like they got some fight and he ran off.”

“Spike and Twilight aren’t together?” Applejack said, looking down at her hooves. “Now that can’t be right. I just saw him the other day with Fluttershy, so he’s still in town. But they said nothing about a fight.”

Applejack inhaled and exhaled, her eyes lost on the ground below. “But that explains why they were acting a bit weird last time around.” She sighed. “Hmm, then I guess Spike’s staying with Fluttershy in her cottage then.”

Falcon smirked, rolling the cigar on lips. He took one last puff of the cigar, before spitting to the ground and crushing it under his hoof. He looked up at Applejack. “Thank you for the tip.”

“Huh?”

Falcon didn’t reply. Instead, he made his way to a particular cottage on the outskirts of town.


After his walk, Spike returned home to the cottage. No warm voice greeted him on his entrance, nor was there any movement in the cabin.

Spike gripped his face, sighing into his palm. Fluttershy was probably asleep in her room. Something had happened, Twilight did something to put Fluttershy in this state. So it wasn’t just Spike who Twilight snapped; she also did it to another, close friend.

Guilt overtook worry. Twilight wasn’t acting like this solely to Spike, but to everyone else as well. Even though it caused a rift between the two friends, Spike felt relief in that he wasn’t the only target.

But still, something was wrong with Twilight. She starting to go down a route of anger and solitude, the same path Spike himself dangerously tread on as well. If it hadn’t been Fluttershy and her kindness, Spike might be out there, in the world, cursing all their names.

And one day, he would want revenge for the days spent as a needle cushion.

Luckily, he had Fluttershy and her kindness. A place to stay, with each day bringing more happiness than the last. Thoughts of hatred and anger still plagued his mind, but they didn’t take as much control of him than they did before.

And then there was a knock at the door.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the lack of quality. I'm afraid writer's block has taken control.

Now, Act II should be ending within the next few chapters.

Act III is where the story truly begins.

Please enjoy the tale I'm about to tell.

PreviousChapters Next