• Published 11th Dec 2015
  • 8,428 Views, 575 Comments

Spike Quits His Job and Goes on Numerous Quests - B_25

  • ...
54
 575
 8,428

PreviousChapters Next
53 – "I Guess I Would Do the Same."

~53~

"I Guess I Would Do the Same."

Twilight pushed through the frigid air trying to cut into her as it whistled in her ear, tormenting her almost as much as the sight of her most loyal friend clutched away in a claw of a dragon she couldn’t hope to match in power or in size.

Even the weather itself used the full extent of its power to ward off the dragon from his never ending search around the mountain tops of Canterlot, for summoned from the clouds all of the droplets of water and hail they were worth, as well as striking it with bolts of lighting that expressed the weather's’ electrical rage.

‘Pfft! Please.’ The voice of a much younger talked in the back of the current lavender Princess’s mind, fainting seeing that fateful day as she flew after her friend. ‘They’d never accept a pegasus who can’t even keep the sky clear for one measly day.’

The speeding Princess of Friendship rounded the tip of yet another mountain, where she finally caught up to behind the dragon too focused at examining the rock that composed each of the mountains. He was looking for something hidden inside the mountains, though any other dragon would’ve given up upon finding no cave to settle in for.

This dragon knew what he was looking for despite his primitive looks, almost as if he were aware of some secret that hid away his objective.

Twilight shook her head to stop her unnecessary observations as she close enough to the giant cut claw to examine the condition of her friend. Talons held suspended from just above her neck down the length of her belly which still bled from the early attack. The chromatic mane floated along with the wind as the eyes underneath were shut.

‘Hey, I could clear this sky in ten seconds flat.’ Rainbow Dash had her chest puffed out as she took to the sky to keep to her word, displaying a buck so powerful as to fully disperse every wisp of a cloud.

“I need to stop thinking!” Twilight clenched her eyes as for the first time in a while, she followed Rainbow’s advice. “I need to focus all my energy on flying faster and punching harder.”

A pained cry lured Twilight in opening her eyes to seek out its source, finding it to belong to her unconscious friend who cried out A talon had driven itself into her right wing from the pressure of the dragon’s ascension, causing her to bleed from a moderately deep gash, and her coat had couple of areas that had been burned slightly, leaving black splotches on her body.

Twilight desperately reached out a hoof toward her friend, exerting every ounce of energy to further power her wings as she contemplated breaking her own shoulder just to cover the minuscule inch that separated them.

The mountains trembled along with Twilight as a deafeningly tremendous boom rippled throughout the sky, as the dragon responsible for the roar gave another mighty flap of his wings and carried itself further away from the mare.

The amethyst eyes trailed along the length of the moistening lavender hoof to the silhouette of the dragon disappearing into the realm of the thick clouds, further out of reach despite the mare giving it all to save her friend.

‘You’re a laugh, Twilight Sparkle.’ Rainbow Dash had spoken the words right into her ear with a grin, before taking off into the sky by her will and strength alone. ‘I can’t wait to hang out some more.’

“Stop reminding me how weak I am!” Twilight tore asunder the faint vibrant lines that composed the memories as she directed her focus to the clouds hiding away both the dragon and her friend. “Instilling me with doubt didn’t save Spike, nor will it save Rainbow. So please, just stop arguing with me for now and believe in me!”

Her horn directed itself at the thick clouds responsible for obscuring her friend and the dragon, as the cloud itself began to swirl forth to the source attracting it. Twilight’s eyes fluttered opened to dim glow of her horn as the line of cloud was consumed by the purple aurora which expanded its size.

Twilight didn’t have time to analyze the occurrence before her as primitively understood what was happening in her body, sucking away the last remnants of the power of the cloud before twirling upside down, and concentrating all her magic into a beam directed to the top of the mountain.

“Arg!” The recoil from the blasting beam propelled Twilight backward with its sheer force alone, who used only her own to keep her body inside the slipstream. The winds cut into her eyes but she still kept them open so she could keep an eye on the approaching dragon to her right.

That said dragon noticing the speck now occupying his peripheral vision, his eyes dilating to her form just to witness the end of the beam as the mare twirled around, directed her horn at the dragon as she used the remained charge of the beam on him.

‘Twilight, is that you?’ The aftermentioned mare rose her head up from the wood of the bench she laid across to the face of her most loyal friend. ‘Why are you sleeping on a bench for? Scratch that. What are you doing outside so late into the night.’

Twilight watched the dragon wither underneath the force of her concentrated beam, straining to keep her eyes open to catch the moment the dragon tried to raised his claw to defend himself.

Finally, the dragon risked his pray, as he rose harms in an ‘x’ to defend his face. In the same instant, Twilight had already ceased the beam once more, twirling around and firing once again.

The dragon tilted his head back as something traveled along his throat, a light emitting from the back of his mouth before heaps of fire spewed out after the uncrossing of the arms. The oncoming fire projectile warmed the back of Twilight Sparkle, who canceled the beam once more and focus all her energy into one last flap of the wings: powerful enough for her to barrel out of the way of a breath of fire.

Right into the other awaiting palm of the dragon, immediately sealing around her form.

‘I knew you and Spike were close,’ Rainbow sat next to the lavender mare who had her two hooves holding her head against the wood, who muttered out her feelings of the past few months that way, ‘but I would never have though his departure would cause you to run away from the library as well.’

Twilight looked pasted the shelter of her hooves to steal a peek at the cyan mare, who neither grin nor frowned at her pathetic tale, but rather sat there with an aroma of empathy.

‘I guess I would do the same.’

Twilight stretched her head past the makeshift hole as she unintentionally exposed herself to the friend she feared that would harshly criticize that she was being a coward who needed to face reality. ‘Really?’

‘Yeah.’ Rainbow offered her friend a nod that relaxed that said friend into fully revealing herself, as she gazed up at the stars of the nighttime sky to help soothe her thoughts that subsequently became words. ‘If I felt like I hurt somepony I loved...then I’d probably leave the place that sparked those horrible memories that haunt my waking conscious.’

The cyan mare then clashed her rose colored eyes against Twilight myths once, staring past orbs until she made contact with her soul; the place where emotional relations stems from and where wisdom lies. Once Rainbow made that deep and personal connection with her friend, her stare melted away into a warm smile.

‘But every time I would dare think about that pony I hurt, I’d used that energy to not slip further into sadness, but instead to better myself into the mare that would never commit those same mistakes.’

The soft blue fur of her hoof caressed the lavender shoulder into alleviating the trembles that shook the ex-librarian's body. ‘I won’t say you need to get over this just yet, but you do need to start preparing to forgive yourself. As much as I’m wishing he never comes back...if Spike ever does, then you two need to be ready to resolve whatever issues linger between you.’

The Twilight of the present suffocated against the pressure of the grip on her to the unbeknownst dragon, who brought both of his newest catches before his eyes, which scanned over the condition of both of them.

“Rainbow Dash!” Twilight cried as she ripped her hoof out from the dragon’s hold and stretched out to the unconscious mare, as the gash on her forehead bled down in a stream that used the bridge of her nose as a river.

Adrenaline was pumped throughout the Princess’s body, clearing away the blurriness that revealed the full extent of her friend. Rainbow’s breathing had seemed faint when she was first clutched away, but now, against the unintentional tremendous pressure of the claw around her, Twilight neither saw the rise or fall of her chest or her nostrils flare when one is supposed to take a breath.

“DASH!” Twilight cried as she tried even harder to stretch out her hoof, the feeling of how useless she was inspiring being more tears to well from her eyes. For the first time in her life, when confined so tightly as to not be able to move, and be so close and yet so far from saving her friend, Twilight felt the usefulness that Spike would often describe.

An orange glow to her left caught the lavender mare’s attention, as she gazed the cavern of the dragon’s maw where an orange glow once again emitted from the back of his throat. The dragon intended for his food to be crispy, before popping they're charred corpsed into his mouth.

‘Thanks, Rainbow, I needed that.’ Twilight finally hopped off the bench onto her numb own hooves, turning around to face her friend whom she loved even more at that moment. ‘Now I just gotta find a place willing to take me in for a little while.’

‘Don’t be silly, Twilight.’ Rainbow too hopped off the bench, though the moment she landed on her hooves, she worked to loop once of them over around her friend’s neck. ‘For as long as you’re out of commission, you can crash at my place where we’ll get you tinkered back into condition.’

Twilight shuffled her hooves at first to accommodate to the same pace that Rainbow had begun walking, looking to her friend in disbelief. ‘You’d do that for me, even though we’re just friends?’

Rainbow laughed so hard that her giggles were picked up by the breeze and their merriness traveled across the brightening orange sky. ‘Of course, I would, Twilight. Isn’t that what friends are for?’

Twilight wasn’t sure what to make of that comment at first as she couldn’t comprehend its full value; to have a friend willing to suffer any pains, even misery itself, just to see that those whom they loved be happy.

It was a rare quality found only in those bearing loyalty.

Rainbow finally ran out of steam for her laughter, as she lowered her head with a few giggles slipping past her lips, before looking into her friend’s eyes.

‘After all, wouldn’t you do the same for me?’

PreviousChapters Next