• Published 11th Dec 2015
  • 8,428 Views, 575 Comments

Spike Quits His Job and Goes on Numerous Quests - B_25

  • ...
54
 575
 8,428

PreviousChapters Next
8 – "It Isn't A Worry At All."

~8~

"It Isn't A Worry At All."

“Please, take a seat,” Fluttershy sweetly instructed as she entered the kitchen.

Spike sighed and laid down on the couch. He knew it improper, especially after she said seat, but Spike’s mind wasn’t clear. The drake couldn’t think nor feel. Maybe he was tired. Maybe he was starting to feel the aftermath of Twilight’s words.

Or maybe it was nothing at all. Spike closed his eyes.

It was black. An urge came to create something in this space; to do something with this space. But Spike was tired. So he kept the nothingness.

A whistle came from the kitchen as if a train had made its stop at Fluttershy’s cottage. There was a click, and the noise passed.

“Spike,” Fluttershy called from behind the walls, “how do you take your tea?”

“Green. With no milk or sugar, thank you.” Spike heard the rattling of cupboards being opened and cups being placed on a counter. A brief silence took hold, and then there were hoof steps.

Fluttershy entered the room balancing a plate on her right wing. “Here are our… oh.” Spike laid out on the couch, his legs hanging off the ledge.

“I’m awake,” Spike said as he pitched his eyes together. He sat up on the couch and collect his head in his palm.

Fluttershy fought back the urge to say something. She didn’t mind Spike’s improper manners, but the way he acted, something was troubling him within. But she just couldn’t figure out what. Just what was bugging the dragon so much? It was as if he didn’t know himself.

She shook her head and bid her thoughts farewell. She placed the plate on the wooden table and sat on the floor before it. Picking up the cup, she took a sip.

Spike leaned forward and took his cup. He titled the cup, took a sip, and placed the cup back on the plate. A smile washed over his face. “Heh, that’s exquisite, Fluttershy.” He couldn’t help but chuckle. “I’d forgotten that you use herbs and not store brand tea.”

“Oh, yes,” Fluttershy nodded. A smile too came over her. “With the herbs, I grow to treat the animals, I get to set aside some herbs for tea.”

Spike chuckled. The two remained silent for quite some time. They sipped on their tea and admired every detail of the room expect each other.

I feel like I should say something to help him, Fluttershy thought. But what can I say?

“You know, this is nice.”

Fluttershy ears perked up as she turned to the drake.

“Just sitting here, having company, drinking tea.” Spike exhaled. “It’s nice. I… er, it’s been awhile since I’ve just with someone in silence.”

Fluttershy tilted her head.

“Well–” Spike scratched the back of his neck “–With Twilight, it always seemed like we had to strike a conversation. That some book had to be read, or a new idea had to be thoroughly discussed. There was always something that had to be done."

Fluttershy sipped on her tea. Her eyes never wandered from Spike.

“That’s why I like locking myself in my room, I think.” Spike caught his cheek with a claw. “I’d get to be alone, but I didn’t want to be alone. I wanted someone else in the room, but then I didn’t want anyone in the room.”

Spike breathed. “I’m not sure what I wanted. But, now that sitting with you with a cup of tea, I feel pretty good.”

Fluttershy smiled. “That’s good to hear, Spike.” The two shared a giggle.

The mare picked up her cup and took a seat on her chair. Spike drained the last liquids of his cup and placed it back on the table. And once again, he laid back on the couch. He no longer felt the need to worry or to think.

Spike did what he did. And spoke what he felt.

“Spike?”

“Yes, Fluttershy?”

“Why is it that you want to leave?”

“I… I don’t don’t know.” Spike inched his head left and right. “I feel there’s something out there for me. Something new, something different from this.”

“And you think you’ll find this, something, out of town?”

“I don’t know what this something is. But I know it’s away from here.”

“Um… It sounds like you're running away more than anything. Uh, sorry.”

Spike brought a claw to his heart and gripped it tightly. “Ouch.”

“Dropping all your problems and running away. Spike, I don’t know what you're hoping to find out there, but wherever you go, you're still bringing something with you.”

Spike found himself chuckling, while Fluttershy shared his humor. “You’re right. That probably is what I’m doing. But either way, I have nothing to do here now. I’m not going back to Twilight, and I certainly don’t want to face her friends. I just want to go. Or maybe I don’t! I don’t know.”

Fluttershy inched forward. “Why don’t you stay for a couple of days then? You could relax, clear your head, then decided what you would like to do?”

“That’s the problem, Fluttershy. Where do I have to stay?”

Fluttershy looked away and bit her lips. Closing her eyes, she took a breath and turned back to Spike. “Well, I wouldn’t be opposed to your staying here a few days.”

Spike’s eyes shot opened as he turned to the mare. “Seriously?”

Fluttershy smiled. “Yes. Though I don’t have a spare room I can give you...is the couch okay for now?”

“It’s more than okay,” Spike started to laugh. “Honestly, I don’t know what to say! Thank you, Fluttershy.”

Fluttershy blushed as she averted her gaze. “Oh, it’s no problem at all.”

“But I don’t expect to stay here for free,” Spike said.

Fluttershy returned her gaze to the drake, who was now sitting up. “Oh, Spike. Money isn’t an issue with me. Just helping out a friend is all.”

Spike waved his claw. “That won’t do at all! I can’t just abuse your kindness.” He shot up from the couch and paced across the room.

“Oh, please Spike. It isn’t a worry at all.”

Spike shook his head. “No no. That won’t do.” He stopped in his steps and bolted towards her. “How about this, I’ll be your number one assis–” Spike’s mouth hung open as only air escaped. His lips quivered as his eyes never moved.

Fluttershy shuffled in her seat. She wanted to say something, anything that might help him out. But no words came.

“Assistant. I’ll be your assistant for as long as I stay here.”

“But, Spike,” Fluttershy tilted her head as her eyes wanted to scream out. “You’re a guest here. It isn’t fair for a host to work a guest.”

“Please, Fluttershy?” Spike dropped to one knee. “If you just let me stay here for free, I’ll feel guilty. Besides, some work will help clear my mind.”

“Well…” Spike inched his head forward. He gave Fluttershy the puppy dog eyes, the eyes coaxed sympathy out of anyone. “Fine.”

Spike wrapped his arms around her and raised her up. Her wings flared out in response as she fought against the chest but soon found herself tightening her hooves around it as Spike twirled around.

Perhaps he had learned a little too much from the girl.

The hug soon came to an end, as Spike place Fluttershy back on her chair. Birds flew around her head.

“Oops.” Spike once again scratched the back of his neck. “Sorry.”

“It–It’s okay,” Fluttershy head wobbled around.


Thus concludes Act I

Spike quits his job as a number-one assistant for Twilight Sparkle, becoming an assistant afterward for Miss Fluttershy.

PreviousChapters Next