• Published 11th Dec 2015
  • 8,428 Views, 575 Comments

Spike Quits His Job and Goes on Numerous Quests - B_25

  • ...
54
 575
 8,428

PreviousChapters Next
93 – "Alright, Whatever."

"Alright, Whatever."

Spike continued to grin at the crowd of ponies, staring at them as they stared back at him, their faces slowly transitioning from horror to sheer confusion at recent events. Even the guards, the few still left standing, let their weapons go slack in their grasps.

The ponies had clenched their eyes in preparation for their death, reopening to the sight of a drake making an absolute fool out of himself. He caught on to the change in their reaction as his grin finally faltered, his shoulders slumping slightly forth. "Yeah, I'm an idiot all right."

Spike then leaned back to his full height. "But an idiot that just wants to help you ponies."

"A dragon helping ponies!" Gurgled laughter erupted across the platform, coming somewhere to the right of the drake, who looked just in time to see the black muzzle whisk itself out from his grasp. Spike's mouth went agape, for it wasn't the dragon speaking to him. "That is quite the jest indeed. But be so kind as to announce to us your name!"

Spike shot a shaky finger at the creature, not so much the dragon, but the black liquid that gushed across his body. It would move like the bodies of water inside a pond, rippling in accordance to whenever the voice spoke – as if that was how it developed its dark pitch.

“No way," Spike said, slightly shaking his head. "Those aren't just black scales imbued with magic. It's like liquid itself is a different entity entirely!"

“Trained is your mind and sharpness is of your eye," the black liquid rippled back, the flowed upward in such a way that made the dragon reel onto its rear legs, before sitting down akin to a dog. "Speak of who you are before my interest wanes further."

“I thought I already did this bit?"

The larger dragon's nostrils flared.

"Alright, whatever." Spike began to pace about the area in front of the tall, sitting dragon, feeling its blank black eyes follow his every step. He began to speak, while still studying the moving black liquid.

“The name is Spike, and I'm a dragon whose egg once belonged to a great kingdom of my kind, before being given to the ponies upon its fall. I used to in a town called Ponyville – though I doubt it still exists – and left on a journey to improve myself as a dragon."

Spike was struck still upon his own words repeating in his head, gazing back to the liquid with a nervous chuckle. “Guess I told you more than what you needed to hear, eh?"

There was silence.

A gust of wind swept over the platform.

And then there was gurgled laughter.

“A pony raised dragon?!” The black liquid began to shimmer as a glob accumulated atop the dragon's head, morphing upward into a silhouette, one familiar to the purple drake. “So you're the cause of disharmony among the six pests. You bring fear to these ponies despite bearing no ill-intent –had I known the qualities hidden within your image, I would have been more faithful to your design.”

Spike cupped a claw around his ear as if to amplify his hearing. "Sorry! Can you be a little less cryptic?” From the corner of his eyes, Spike watched as the black figure took a more defined form, blinking upon seeing a reflection of himself.

He quickly shot a finger in the direction of the imposter. "Hold up just a sec, why do you look the way I did before I left Ponyville?How do you even know me?"

"Because of those pests of harmony, of course!"

"That another thing I don't get," Spike said. "How do the new Element Bearers even know who I am, and why would the image of me cause them disharmony anyway?”

“New Element Bearers?” The black drake sprouted an arm out from his side, made from the pooling liquid at his feet, as the newly-gained claw was placed underneath his chin in thought. “I was under the assumption that these were the first to bear the Elements, unless you include Celestia’s use of them.”

“I guess history really got muddled if everypony forgot that my girls were the first to wield the Elements of Harmony."

"And just what do you mean by that statement?"

"Well, there were these six mares, and regardless of how I may have felt about them, there's no denying that they were the only ones awesome enough at the time first to bear the Elements." Six tombstones flashed into his mental imaged, causing him to rid it by shaking his head, before continuing. "But I don’t they just died without passing on their lessons to the next generation. They may not have cared enough to teach me , but I know they ensured a way for their lessons and values to be passed down through the ages."

“Those…’first elements’ you spoke of...did one of them have chromatic mane? The other a hat she never takes off unless forced?"

Spike blinked as the image of the two mares entered his mind. "Exactly that..."

His mouth hung open slightly. His eyes became lost to the world. His mind wasn't sure what to think next. He head slumped, weighed down by the memory of the two; the two very mares that would beat him senseless if they ever saw him walking with a lowered head.

“I guess Celestia had a statue or somthin’ made for them in Canterlot?”

Though his face was an expressionless due to its lack of features, Dispair's gurgled voice transmitted his tone of confusion. “Not quite.”

He pointed a black finger in the direction of the mass of ponies. Spike took the hint, raising his head and looking to the crowd, where ponies were beginning to shuffle out of the way, revealing six mares that had been tucked safely in the center of the mass.

Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity looked back at him. Their faces held the expression of concern, anger, and of course, confusion, at the drake before him.

Spike brought a claw to his chest pressed against it, repressing the beatings of his heart, as his eyes began to glisten.

“Oh.”

PreviousChapters Next