• Published 11th Dec 2015
  • 8,428 Views, 575 Comments

Spike Quits His Job and Goes on Numerous Quests - B_25

  • ...
54
 575
 8,428

PreviousChapters Next
11 – "A Smile that Made Your Anger Just Fade Away."

~11~

"A Smile that Made Your Anger Just Fade Away."

The sun shined in the morning, yet the birds did not sing. Grass did not whistle when the wind blew over it, and the two occupants of a certain cottage were unhappy with themselves.

“Not the forest…” Spike shot up from the couch – a claw gripping half of his face. Cold sweat ran down his chest, as his panting breath caused it to rise and fall. Once he saw the room, and the sun outside, his pant changed into shallow breaths.

“What is happening to me?” The room offered no answers, except its silence. Spike extracted the claw from his face stood up from the couch. He groggily walked into the next room with a big round table. Fluttershy sat at the end of the table.

“Oh, Spike,” she said, casting him just one eye. “You’re awake. Are you hungry? There’s a bowl of cereal on the counter, and I’ve just made a pot of tea.”

“That’s perfect, thank you Fluttershy.” She nodded without looking at him. He shrugged his shoulders and went to fix himself breakfast. He returned moments later, with a cup and a bowl.

Fluttershy hid her eyes behind her mane, leaving Spike with only a glimpse of her face. He frowned, seating himself across the table from her. I wonder if she’s mad at me?

The two ate without saying so much as a word. Spike watched Fluttershy from his bowl, as she stared at the wall, sipping on her tea. Spike sighed and went for another bite, his heart feeling heavy at the sight of the kindest mare unhappy with him.

A lot of ponies have been unhappy with me lately, Spike thought with tired eyes. It seems I’m the cause for unhappiness lately.

“Say, Spike?” Fluttershy started. “Do you like it here? I mean, staying in this house?”

Spike put down his bowl of cereal. “That came out of nowhere, but, yes. I’ve had a lot of fun here so far.”

“If…Twilight was to forgive you and ask you to come back…would you…go back to her?”

Spike’s mouth hung open, as the world became apparent around him. He scratched his head as his mind offered no thoughts. “I’m… not sure about that. I’d probably say no, as I haven’t fully cooled down from that. But, I like it here so far. I wanna stay here longer to see how things turn out.”

Fluttershy offered him a quick glance. “I see, that’s good to hear.”

Is she okay? Fluttershy, tell me what’s wrong. Do you need me to say something; do something? I owe you one; I’ll do anything you need me to.

“Say Fluttershy, are you busy today?”

That question caught Fluttershy complete attention, as she looked at him full well. “Not really. Why, did you have something in mind?”

Spike stood up from the chair, beaming with a smile. “How about we go out today to the market?”

“The market?” Fluttershy brushed the mane out from her eyes. “Did you need something from there? Oh, you should’ve told me you wanted something; I would’ve gotten it last time I was out.”

Spike waved his claw. “No no, I’m good on supplies. It’s just; it’s been awhile since I’ve gone out. Ponies might be getting worried about me…our friends might wonder if I’m okay. I should probably go let them know I’m alright”– his face turned to hers, uncertainty covered his face –“right?”

Fluttershy did something she hadn’t in awhile. Something that always brought pleasure to Spike whenever he saw it. Fluttershy smiled. A smile unique, kind and gentle to whoever saw it. A smile that made your anger just fade away.

“Sure,” she said as he dipped her head. Spike smiled himself as he left to pack his bags. The table next to the couch had a pouch, a tin of drake polish, and other such items. Spike picked up the bag and put it into the knapsack Fluttershy had let him borrow.

He liked the leather design of it; it suited him well. He walked towards the cottage door and opened it, relishing in the warm wind that came rushing in. The sun offered warmth, and the wind provided a little something extra.

Fluttershy trotted next to him. She too took delight in what the day had to offer. “Ready to go Spike?”

He nodded his head and closed the door behind him. And so, the duo of dragon and pegasi went off to the market.


Spike and Fluttershy walked through the town, walking side by side. There wasn’t a worry about taking up too much space: most ponies were indoors working. So the two took their time and enjoyed their walk.

The world went slower for Spike. But he preferred this pace. He placed his claws behind his head. Today feels pretty good.

“Spike, do you mind if we go stop by the vendors to go pick up some treats for our animal friends,” Fluttershy asked. Her mane no longer covered her face; back to its usual style.

“Not at all,” Spike replied. The two walked into a space of the town, where wooden vendor tables stood.

“Get your corn here!” a stallion called. “Corn for sale!”

“Berries! Make sure that wine is fine with some premium berries!”

“Carrots! Improve your eyesight with some carrots here!”

Spike stopped walking and exploded with laughter. “This so funny it’s ridiculous!” He turned to Fluttershy. “Have ponies always sounded this silly, or have I been locked up for a very long time?”

Fluttershy herself giggled at his exclamation. A blush was accompanying her warm smile. “I’m not sure it’s polite to call them silly–” a few more giggles escaped Fluttershy “–but yes. It’s always been like this.”

“Boy,” Spike said as he scratched the side of his head, “I gotta get out more.”

Fluttershy looked up to him. “Maybe on market days, you could come with me?”

Spike grinned. “Sounds like a plan.”

Fluttershy began to walk towards to the vendor with carrots on his table when a friendly yet confident voice called them. Both Spike and Fluttershy turned their heads, to where Applejack stood.

The vendor of apples wanted to have a chat.

Author's Note:

Editor need: PM if interested.

PreviousChapters Next