• Published 11th Dec 2015
  • 8,469 Views, 575 Comments

Spike Quits His Job and Goes on Numerous Quests - B_25

  • ...
54
 575
 8,469

PreviousChapters Next
79 – "Nah, I Still Hate Thinking, but Whatever's Going on Is Messed."

~ 79 ~

"Nah, I Still Hate Thinking, but Whatever's Going on Now Is Messed."

“Aaaaand that should about do it!” the paramedic said, pulling back from the cyan mare to observe her work. “The cuts around your stomach were deep, but you should be grateful that the dragon wasn’t trying to impale you with its talons.”

Rainbow Dash could only give a huff, rolling her eyes at the ‘supposed’ good news.

“The cuts should only take a week or two to heal.” The red maned paramedic gave a playful giggle at the other mare’s attitude, approaching the sitting pegasi once more, and readjusting with her teeth the bandage holding the cyan wing. “But these seemed to have sustained a stable fracture, and there’s no telling how many ribs the dragon—”

“I got it!” Rainbow pulled away from the mare’s grasp, almost flapping her wings to escape into the air. “I gotta take it easy for a while, no prob a erino! But right now, we all got a bigger fish to fry.”

The paramedic sighed, the sight of the golden pin dislodging itself in her patient’s bandage triggering her OCD, but she knew Dash was simply one of those patient’s. Still, she paid a glance to the sky before the railings, before tending to the other Element Bearers.

Rainbow felt her shuffle past her, another tug on the bandage holding her wing, but she paid it no mind as her eyes were set on the stars. The night sky above – and almost around her held a sense of unreality, like it was a mere mockery of the real thing.

But she thought it impossible; there was simply no way that something had taken the entire sky away, and replaced it with something that looks just like it. Still, Rainbow had to concede, that something was off about the thing she spent most of her time staring off into.

It was if the sky were but a vast canvas, painted in the darkest shade of black the replicated the emptiness of space entirely, but amongst its vast nothingness shone pinpricks of brilliant light.

“Whoa,” she expressed under her breath, eyes caught in a trance by the ethereal, distant stars. Despite all the lights years that separated the mare and the many moons, she couldn’t help but begin to approach the railing, clasping her hooves atop of it. “The sky feels close, almost like I could touch it with my hoof.”

But she daresn't, not wanting to expose herself as a fool to all those nearby. She passed them all a glance. Her friends sat huddled together, eyes spellbound and mouths agape, the workings of the paramedic lost on their consciousness. “Heh. Guess I’m not the only one who's a sucker for a nice looking sky.”

Rainbow’s glance paid left, to where the sea of guards all once stood. They were all seated now, eyes lost to the sky in the same kind of trance as her friends, and those who weren’t lost were those who had passed out from fatigue.

“Okay.” Rainbow pressed a hoof to her chin as her eyes swept the platform. A few citizens had rushed from the streets once overfilling with ponies – the roads now empty, excluding the glow of the stars – and onto the platform, their eyelids stretched open and their mouths wide.

It looked like they were going to yell something, though nothing left their lips.

The citizens skidded to a halt, their eyes becoming locked onto the night, and whatever possessed them moments ago disappeared. They fell to their rumps, rose their heads, and bore the reflection of the stars upon in the pools that were their eyes.

“Okay, now something’s not right.” Dash pulled away from the railing, trotting to the rows of guards. She swung her hoof in front of their vision, as she had done at many ruling parties, and received the same reaction now as she did before:

Not a flinch; not a blink.

“Maaaaybe, not the best guinea pigs,” Dash said to herself with the secret hope that they would respond, but when they kept silent, she knew it to be a lost cause. She prepared herself to pull away...

...though the stars in their eyes became alluring, watching comets of a celestial blue streak across their pools of brown, and seeing how the corner of their eyes twinkle at its effect. Their faces were of stone; their eyes told the stories of their concealed emotions.

Rainbow felt her shoulders began to loosen as her rump lowered to the ground. She tried to fight, to gain control of her body, but her mind was lost in the wonders of their trance. Why hadn’t she seen the sky like them? Why wasn’t she near her friends at the moment? There were so many things to be pondered, to have one’s body go numb and allow the mind full control, as the night sky always made for the perfect canvas to project one’s thought.

“Ahh!” Rainbow jumped away, stifling a groan of pain that shot through her chest and eying the guards from afar. They didn’t seem concerned, still looking up, despite being firmly stared upon for the last minute. “What in the hay...I hate thinking!”

She looked up to the night sky, enjoying the sight of it alone, but not caring about any particular thing to be thought about at the moment. Dash was a mare of action, and action always seemed to think out her thoughts for her.

Then, a light laughter came to her perking ears, as she turned to see the paramedic. Enjoyment crossed her face, her eyes lost as well, but they were lost on the work she was applying to each of her friends.

“Hmmm.” Dash pressed a hoof to her chin, eyes becoming lost… “Nah, I still hate thinking, but whatever’s going on now is messed. The girls and I got here around midnight yesterday,” she turned to the sky, peering into it while pursing her lips left, “and I know we fought that dragon for an long time, but I don’t think it’s possible we spent entire day fighting him.”

She shook her head. Dash began to wade through the rows of sitting guards, taking extra care to keep her head up and her eyes away from theirs, trying to find the Princess amidst the overbearing darkness tinged with faint light.

Finally, she found them…

...looking up and into the sky as well.

“Yo, Princess!” Rainbow called, preparing to flex her wings to take flight to them, but felt an intense aching sensation. “Oh yeah, that’s right.” She quickly trotted to before them, giving a quick bow just in case to save her from being yelled later by Twilight, and appearing in front of the smaller alicorn's vision.

“Equestria to Luna, everypony seems to be agreeing that you did a fantastic job on the sky, but there’s no need for you to be lost in your own work.” Rainbow waited for a response, but her ruler’s face was still a look of lost, even when she waved her hoof before it.”Yo, Luna. Care to explain why you brought the night out so early?”

She gave a small giggle as she pulled back. “Don’t tell me that this is all a ploy to extract your revenge from a thousand years ago.” Dash put a hoof to her chin. “Well, it’s been a few years since I first met Twilight, so I guess it would be revenge about your banishment a thousand plus three years ago.”

The joke was lost on Luna.

Rainbow’s nostrils fumed. “Okay, I give up, what’s going on here!”

Her voice quaked through the platform, but no one answered her question. It seemed like she was alone, despite all the present company, and whatever was happening would have to be solved by her alone. So Rainbow place her hoof on her chin, tilting her head to the side, before remembering.

“Grrrrrr I hate thinking!”
PreviousChapters Next