• Published 11th Dec 2015
  • 8,453 Views, 575 Comments

Spike Quits His Job and Goes on Numerous Quests - B_25

  • ...
54
 575
 8,453

PreviousChapters Next
67 – "So We're Playing the Numbers Game Now, Huh?"

~67~

"So We're Playing the Numbers Game Now, Huh?"

Afro Stallion's body shook as he attempted to stand on his shaky legs, straining at what little wind was left in his lungs. The dragon he was pitted against just had a tamper tantrum that nearly killed several of his guards, were it not for him leaping into harm's way to push them out of it and the levitated aurora that unicorns pulled them away with.

But now the dragon had grown suspiciously calm after his hissy fit, keeping a trained eye on the unicorns in front of him, and wagging the stump of his tail whenever it senses their movement. It was for this reason that Afro Stallion, along with his two recently saved guards, had their legs shaking as they suspected a possible attack from the dragon.

"We shouldn't risk it." Out of the two stallions following Afro's lead from behind him, the one on the left was stupid enough to try and begin a conversation. "He's just waiting for us to come within range of his claw. Even his tail is still shaking!"

The trio pair of eyes watched the stump of the tail stop wagging, which brought confusion to the two pairs until they saw next to the bar sporadic twitches coursing through the detached tail of the dragon that dropped over to the bottomless circle. All three of them held their tongues at the odd display, as the leader of the pack finally spoke.

"Watch your mouth, Butter Cup!" Afro Stallion exclaimed in a hushed tone that strained his throat. "Or I'll have the dragon burn it off."

The third guard, who had been silent throughout the discussion, continued being so.

"When the chance arises," Afro Stallion looked over his armored shoulder to his two followers, "the two of you are going to strike its already damaged heels. See if you can slice its Achilles tendon, as that should keep the dragon on the ground long enough for something to be done about its wings."

The blue dragon's ear twitch, his nostrils flared. His head inched to the left as his nostrils had picked up on a scent, causing the three sneaking stallions to stop in the dragon's shadow and hold their position.

They desperately looked to the unicorns on the other side of the beast who was beginning to release small, little whines. The unicorns on the other side shrugged their shoulders as they were at a lost to do, keeping a constant eye on the dragon for a surprise attack, though all he did was begin to look over his shoulder.

It was then that Applejack emerged from the crowd of unicorns and began to charge at the dragon with heavy steps, earning his attention away from whatever was going behind his back to focus on the present threat. Applejack entered the field within the dragon's reach as he let out yet another whine, causing her to jump back to safety, but she didn't retreat to behind the guards behind her.

She kept ahead of them, clashing her green eyes against his purple ones, as they both waited for the other to make a move. This made for the perfect opportunity for the stallions behind the dragon to make their move, which was a move that they thought the dragon wouldn't be expecting. For some reason, this train of thought reminded them of a movie.

Afro Stallion gestured a hoof forth as he and his fellow guard were but a few feet from the dragon. Despite being within ear range of the beast, Butter Cup still thought it wise to continue their previous discussion. "Do you really think we're going to manage to even touch the dragon? The moment he even feels the air of our attack, are flanks are burnt, and it does nothing to help the overall situation."

Afro shook his head at the nonsense he was hearing before looking to the guard behind the said nonsense. "What did I just say about talking? Look, if we manage to take this dragon down by ourselves, then we could very well secure our victory in the battle. However, even if our flanks are burnt to a crisp, then our three deaths still stall enough time for the princesses to wake up and finish this."

"Hold up." Butter Cup quickly dashed to his leader's side, speaking directly into his ear. "You mean to tell me you were suspecting our deaths the entire time? Why in the hay should we sacrifice our lives for the time it takes for our bodies to become crisp enough for a dragon to devour?"

"Because three deaths resulting in an additional three minutes of time." Afro Stallion pointed a hoof to the crowd of unicorns who had gained the courage to approach the beast alongside Applejack. "Is better than fifteen lives that gain us five."

"So we're playing the numbers game now, huh?"

Afro Stallion shoved his face against his rookie and spoke in a hushed tone. "That's the game that all guards play. Why did you even sign up for the guard if you weren't prepared to offer your life to the princesses of the land, who will go on to forget your names and continue to make Equestria a safe and better place? You join the guard in the hopes of protecting those much better than you and capable of doing more for the land, no matter the cost, even if it be your life just to afford them another three minutes."

Butter Cup recoiled back from the sudden impact of both his leader and his words, clenching his hooves as the words rang incessantly within his head that demanded his soul to be doing a better job of managing itself. He clenched his mouth and released a groan created by the frustrations of the mind, before taking that same mouth to the handle of the sword attached to his side.

He gave his leader one final glare, before approaching the right heel of the dragon, as the other silent guard did the same to the other.

At the front of the dragon, Applejack found herself in a battle of intimidation that was being dominated by the beast. Still, she didn't give up hope and held her ground as hoof steps filled all around her, as her allies joined in on the battle to slowly take control from the purple glare that immobilized some into looking away.

A hoof patted her back that caused Applejack to look into the face of its owner.

"Miss, I'm afraid you're going to have to fall back."

Applejack swatted away the hoof and stepped away from the Royal Gaurd that had approached her. "I ain't falling behind just cause you guard folk recovered your wits."

The stoic face of the guard didn't change, though the mare caught a tint of pink adorning his gray cheek. "It's not like that Miss Applejack.

"Then what is it?"

The stallion lowered his head where he then proceeded to sigh, before looking up to the mare with a disobeying smile.

"The Princesses are awake."

PreviousChapters Next