• Published 11th Dec 2015
  • 8,428 Views, 575 Comments

Spike Quits His Job and Goes on Numerous Quests - B_25

  • ...
54
 575
 8,428

PreviousChapters Next
12 – "Surprised to Say."

~12~

"Surprised to Say."

Applejack waved a hoof.

Spike found his foot taking a step back; his heart was beating a bit too quickly. I wonder what Applejack is thinking right now? Has Twilight told her yet? Did she form any opinions on the matter? Or, if no one has told her about the fight, what should I tell her?

The world seemed lighter to Spike when Applejack started to smile. He exhaled and claimed his racing heart. Those green eyes, much like Spike’s own, always calmed Spike. His feet moved towards her on their own.

“Why, howdy Fluttershy, and I’m surprised to say, Spike!” Applejack chuckled as she leaned on her stand. “What brings you out of the library, Spike. Wait, hold on: did you get taller?”

Spike smiled and shrugged his shoulders. “Eh, I was curious as to see if I’ve become a vampire or not, so I took a step outside.”

Applejack chuckled, even Fluttershy gave a giggle. “Heh, well, it’s good to see you finally getting some light on your scales! Anyways, what are y’all up to out here?”

“Spike suggested that we go for a walk since he’s been holed away.” Fluttershy’s eyes lit up as if a light bulb had gone over her head. “We’re also here to get some treats for the animals. Do you mind if I purchase some apples?”

“Well of course not!” Applejack ducked her head under the stand, coming up with a bag in-between her clenched teeth. She laid the bag on the stand.

“How much do I owe you?” Fluttershy asked she dug into her saddle.

“The bag is free if Y'all could do me a favor.”

Spike sent his brows flying up as he leaned forward on the stand. “What did ya’ need?!”

Applejack giggled as she leaned back from the dragon. “Nothin’ big, it’s just, I wanna throw a party for the girls and us. Workin’ on the farm, I’ve been thinking about how we all used to hang out. Y’know, just, hanging out.”

“Not because a monster is attacking the city,” Spike said, “but to just sit down and talk for a while.

Applejack clapped her hooves and pointed them at Spike. “Exactly right there! Gettin’ Pinkie and Rarity should be easy; Rainbow may be a tad difficult with her Wonderbolt training and all. But gettin’ Spike and Twilight was going to be the hardest part – especially Spike. That boy is, even more, a recluse than Twilight used to be.”

Spike chuckled and rubbed the side of his arm, looking away. “Thanks, Applejack.”

“What? I’m only spouting the truth. Look, even ask Fluttershy over here.” All eyes were placed on Fluttershy, as she instinctively hid behind her mane.

“Not trying to be rude...but...Applejack kinda has a point.”

Spike jaw hung open. Sure, he went a few months without saying anything to anypony and holed up in the tree. But he read a lot of books and cleaned the library and did as Twilight asked. Wait… that doesn't help me.

Besides, I didn’t think any of you cared. I feel touched; kind of.

“Now, Fluttershy,” Applejack started, “I need ya’ to go and get Spike on your side. Once ya did that, then you could ask him to bring Twilight along!” Applejack kept her mouth open for a moment. “Oh, look! You’ve already got Spike! Good work, Fluttershy.”

Spike looked down to Fluttershy as she looked up at Spike. Both held their brows hide and their smiles unsure of themselves.

“Now, Fluttershy, if ya’ would be so kind as to ask Spike to see if he can get Twilight?”

“Applejack, wait,” Spike said. “I’m not sure if I can–”

“Don’t worry, Spike.” Spike turned his head to find Fluttershy smirking. His face held the expression of confusion. “I’m sure you can do it.” She added with a wink, which Spike had no clue what it meant.

“I...I’m not sure... I guess I can try?” Spike raised his arms.

“Good,” Fluttershy said, then turning to Applejack. “I’ve taken of that. Now, don’t you worry about Dash, I’ll send her a letter as soon as I get home. You just worry about getting Rarity and Pinkie.”

Applejack smiled. Even with her being the creator of this complex game, she found herself starting at the act which Fluttershy had performed. “ I… guess I will.” She shook her head. “Now, a deal is a deal.” She slid the bag towards Fluttershy.

Fluttershy smiled and nodded, taking hold of the apples and depositing it into her bag.

“Now, the party is gonna be four days from now at Sweet Apple Acres. I’ll have some food already set aside, but you’re more than welcomed to bring your own.”

Spike and Fluttershy smiled, and, seeing it was the time to go, said their goodbyes. The rest of the day was spent with the duo talking about mundane things, but Spike enjoyed their talks. To let his mind at ease. Take in a breath, and spend it talking with a mare whose kindness made you forget your anger.

Spike felt himself changing. One for the better, he hoped.

As it is with all days, this one soon came to an end. The sun fell lower and lower in the horizon, and it is unwise to walk to a cottage in the dark.

“Hey, Fluttershy?” Spike said. “I think it’s time to—” Spike's eyes scanned around him. The mare who he spent his day with was nowhere to be– oh wait, there she was, standing before a stand with a ribbon for a sign.

Spike walked towards the ribbon vendor. Fluttershy eyes were focused solely on a pinkish ribbon. Spike crossed his arms as he stepped next to her. “Do ya’ like it?”

Fluttershy snapped back from the ribbon, shaking her head as she noticed the dragon next to her. It was then that her mind caught up to his words. “Oh, yes.” Fluttershy had more to say on the matter, but for some reason kept her mouth closed.

“Do you want it?” Spike asked.

“Oh, I couldn’t,” Fluttershy said as she stepped back. “I spent all of the today’s bits getting treats for the animals. And, as lovely as the ribbon is, I’d rather spend the bits making my animals friends happy.”

Spike lips began to smile. “Have you ever thought about treating yourself?” he asked. “You're always helping others, so why not help yourself once in awhile?”

“I see your point, Spike. But I very much don’t need a ribbon – it’s just something I want.”

Spike held out a claw. “Well, if you like it so much–” Spike lowered his head “–I’ll buy it for you.”

Fluttershy smiled, yet she shook her head. “Thank you Spike; that’s kind of you. But I can’t have you spending that amount of bits on a ribbon.”

Spike waved a claw. “Oh come on. It can’t be—” Spike’s eyes caught the price tag next to the ribbon, his claw dropped his pouch full of bits. Cold sweat down his back; claws were twisting. Spike gulped and picked up his bag full of bits.

And placed it on the counter. “The pink ribbon, please.”

The mare behind the counter smiled and collected the pouch. A second later, Spike had with one claw, a fabric made for only pure beauty.

The other claw held an empty pouch.

“Oh, Spike…”

When Spike turned to Fluttershy, any regrets about buying the ribbon vanished. Instead of hiding behind her mane when she blushed, she pushed it aside, as she looked up and smiled at the drake.

Spike smiled as the world no longer mattered. “If was nothing, here.” He picked up her hooves, placing the pink ribbon into it. “This is for you.”

Fluttershy twirled around, not letting Spike see the water that came from her eyes. Her mind argued about accepting such a gift, and from him no less. But the happiness her heart gave, it was more than enough to override logic.

“Spike, could you turn around for a second?” Curious, Spike turned around. He heard something swoosh in the air. “You can turn back now.”

When he did, Spike saw something that caused his heart to stop. Fluttershy tied her mane into a ponytail, trailing along her back. Keeping it in place, was the pink ribbon – the one that only worked for real beauty.

“So… how do I look?”

Spike had only one word to say.

“Perfect.”

PreviousChapters Next