• Published 11th Dec 2015
  • 8,428 Views, 575 Comments

Spike Quits His Job and Goes on Numerous Quests - B_25

  • ...
54
 575
 8,428

PreviousChapters Next
85 – "I Swear If You Even Breathe on Her."

~ 85 ~

"I Swear If You Even Breathe on Her."

“Why are you doing this for!?” Rainbow Dash shouted at the drake, rising to her hooves. “Controlling my friends... making them feel things that they shouldn’t feel! Just what are you trying to pull here?”

Spike paused in his stride, glancing Rainbow’s way. “I’m just trying to help you girls understand your feelings. You should know better than anypony, Rainbow Dash, that unchecked emotion can lead to terrible conclusions.”

“Why do that for us,” she asked, “after everything we supposedly did to you?”

“Because I want you girls to obtain the truth on the matter.”

“And just why would you want that?”

He smiled. “Because that truth will lead you six to despair.”

Rainbow continued to peer at him.

“What?” Spike gave a faux chuckle. “Don’t have faith in your hypothesis? Do you not honestly believe the girls to be innocent in their wrongdoings against me?”

“I know the girls did nothing wrong,” she said, wanting nothing more than to place herself in front of the drake, but knew that her friends’ eyes were upon her. “But I don’t trust you to play fair, not after what you did with Applejack.”

“But what did I do?”

“You locked her in that crappy television!” She pointed a cyan hoof at her orange friend, who was completely lost in the fluid images playing before her. “There’s no way I’m going to trust you after that.”

“But Rainbow!” Spike exclaimed. “I didn’t make Applejack feel anything that she didn’t already feel – this would be a boring game to me if I just imposed my feelings unto others. If I truly wanted this game to be over, then I would've already summoned my partner back, and all of you would be gone.”

“Partner?”

“None of that now, Rainbow Dash.” Spike walked to before Rarity, admiring her alabaster coat. He brought his nose close enough to catch the smell of not her perfume, but of the odor she had gained from exertion. “Could you just imagine how terrifying it must be to be frozen in place yet fully conscious of yourself? To know that the being before you had total control over your body, and you were helpless to the fate he imposed upon you?”

Spike’s tongue slithered out between his lips, nearing dangerously close to the fur of his once love. His eyes darted over to Rainbow, watching her every fidget for her breaking point. Luckily for Rarity, it was before the drake could even think to touch her.

“Step BACK from my friends.” Rainbow began to wipe her hooves against the ground as she lowered her head in a charge. She saw Fluttershy began to rouse but she could not for the life of her care. “I swear if you even breathe on her.”

Spike brought his mouth back to Rarity’s next, slowly exhaling upon it while never breaking eye contact. Fluttershy meant to entirely to put herself on the collision course that her friend was setting, but a dismal wave of the claw put her back to sitting down.

Rainbow Dash groaned internally. Her eyes were constantly shifting from the drake breathing down her one friend’s neck, and the other silently pleading to her with her eyes. For the first time in a long while, Dash saw Fluttershy without an aroma of depression following her – she didn’t want to be the one to drag that black cloud back over her.

“I’ve always wondered what makes a pony loyal,” Spike said out loud, still breathing down the love of his life’s neck. Though his lips nor his tongue touched her fur. “Is it when they’re loyal to their world – which you have failed to keep. Is it when they swear never to leave their friends hanging – but you have two of them hanging, and your loyalty can only go to one of them.”

Rainbow felt her heart scratched against her chest as she choked on her every breath.

“But then, that asks the question!” Spike snapped the palm of his claw just an inch away from the mare’s right cheek. “Does saving one friend make you more loyal than if you went to the aid of the other friend? To which friend that you save proves more so that you are indeed the element of loyalty?”

Rainbow Dash tried to shake the heavy thought out from her head, but the problem would not leave her. “Why are you doing this? Just go off on your quest and leave us alone!”

“I already told you this, Rainbow Dash.” The claw slowly retracted to his owner’s side as he took a step toward her. “This is but a mere game for me. Your greatest fear isn’t about me, but it involves me.”

Spike snapped his fingers, summoning yet another television from the sky. “You always told me that my character wasn’t consistent – that I was just this annoying baby dragon that never stayed true what I said or did.”

“And...and I still agree!”

That only made Spike grin all the more as his head slowly tilted back. “But how can you accuse me of not having a consistent character when you are not consistent to your loyalty. You're the element itself, yet you do not fully know of its depths.”

“But...I” Rainbow fell onto her rump as problems she never knew of overloaded her mind. She began to lose sight of the situation before her. “I’ll do anything to help my friends...I’ll always be there for them, no matter what…”

“But if the girls were to split apart because of me.” Spike began to approach her know, claws behind his back. “Then who would you side with? Would you side with the friends who thought that they did something wrong? Would you side with the friends innocent of their crimes? Just where does your loyalty lie?”

Rainbow Dash tried to speak but found she had no mouth to do so with.

“You may not care about what ponies say or do about you,” Spike began as he was only a few feet away from her, “you may not even care about what happens to the world around you. But if something were to happen to the girls that constituted your world, and there was nothing you could do to stop it, well…”

Spike’s grin reached the almost to his right eye, though Rainbow Dash was unable to see this. Despite the fact that Spike was standing before her, she couldn’t see him past her trance.

“Wouldn’t you say that’s despair in of itself?”

The television in the sky descended before Rainbow Dash, becoming alive with the fearful projections of her heart. She saw on the screen her friends split apart, all of them needing her loyalty in that sad moment, yet she knew not which friend she was more loyal to.

Spike stood at the center of the discord. Even if it wasn’t the fake one, the real Spike held the capability to bring despair to all her friends – including herself.

The drake gave a small laugh upon finally conquering the will of the cyan mare. He turned around to the three mares left to resolve their feelings.

“Boy oh boy, I would make a killing as a therapist.”

PreviousChapters Next