• Published 18th Dec 2015
  • 3,613 Views, 23 Comments

A Sunset-Do-Well Hearth's Warming Eve - Joeycrick



Sunset Shimmer's Hearth's Warming Eve celebration is cut short when she spots a suspicious figure lurking outside. After a festive costume makeover, she sets out as the Mysterious Mare-Do-Well to investigate.

  • ...
2
 23
 3,613

The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well & The Silver Ghost

Hearth's Warming. A time for friends, family, and harmony. As the chilly winter snow rained down upon nighttime Ponyville, its citizens were celebrating the festivities. Decorations covered the buildings, and young fillies were playing in the snow while carolers wandered up and down the streets.

Near the center of town sits Sugar Cube Corner, where a group of close, inseparable friends were gathered together for a Hearth's Warming Eve party.

"ANOTHER BATCH IS READY!!!" Pinkie Pie screamed as she emerged from the kitchen, sporting a messy apron and a chef's hat, on top of which sat her pet alligator Gummy, along with a tray of freshly-baked cookies.

"Another one?!" Applejack blurted out, lifting her hat as she stared wide-eyed at the baked sweets on Pinkie's head. "Jeez, slow down sugarcube!"

"How many batches is that now, twelve?" Rainbow Dash chuckled, jumping into the air and snatching a cookie off the tray with her hoof. With a flip, she tossed it into the air and caught it in her mouth, swallowing it whole.

"Haven't been keeping count," Pinkie answered, dropping the tray onto the nearby counter. "But hey, you can never have enough!" And with that, she grabbed a couple cookies off the tray and shoved them all into her mouth, downing the entire thing in one gulp. "Ah... warm, sweet goodness!"

"They do look really tasty," Fluttershy murmured, her mouth watering slightly.

Rarity approached the counter, giving a disapproving glance towards Pinkie as she smacked her lips loudly. "Do try to show some restraint, Pinkie," she told her.

"Yeah, make sure to save some for the rest of us!" a voice called out. Everypony turned towards the door, where two ponies just entered the room, shaking the snow out of their manes.

"Sunset! Twilight!" Rarity galloped over to Twilight and gave her a friendly hug. "So glad you two could make it!"

"Like we would miss a get-together with our friends on Hearth's Warming!" Twilight replied, while Rainbow Dash and Sunset Shimmer bumped hooves with each other.

"Ooh, this is wonderful!" Pinkie screamed excitedly, jumping high into the air. "You're just in time to help me with the next batch of cookies I just finished baking! Just give me a second to grab them from the oven!"

Applejack spit out the apple cider she was drinking. "What the-?!" She rounded on Pinkie with an incredulous look on her face. "You just took these cookies out less than a minute ago!" she shouted, gesturing to the baking pan beside her. "How do you have yet another batch ready?!"

"Oh, you silly," Pinkie replied, patting an annoyed Applejack on her head.


Snow continued falling throughout Ponyville as the seven friends spent the next hour together. Pinkie kept rolling out the baked goods while the others talked with each other, sharing interesting stories and other memorable moments. Pretty soon, it was time to exchange gifts.

"Everypony's got their presents, right?" Pinkie shouted, donning a pointed red cap and a fluffy red cloak as she dragged a giant sack into the room.

"Whoa," Sunset murmured, her wide eyes glancing up and down the sack, the top of which was just mere inches from the ceiling. "We're not the only ones getting gifts, right?"

"Are you crazy?" Pinkie answered. "I've got presents here for everypony in Ponyville! Since you guys are my bestest, closest friends, you get first dibs!" She dove into the sack and dug out a couple presents, tossing them out to her friends. "Heads up!"

Twilight, Sunset, and Rarity's gifts were all enveloped with magic auras from their respective ponies. Applejack and Rainbow Dash caught theirs with their hooves, while Fluttershy let out a small squeak and ducked, her present sailing right over her head.

"Thanks, Pinkie!" Twilight replied, levitating a couple wrapped gifts from her saddlebag. "I've got a little something for you guys, too!"

"Let me guess... books," Rainbow Dash deadpanned.

"I've also got something for all of you," Sunset said, opening her saddlebags.

Suddenly, out of the corner of her eye, she spotted something outside the window beside her. Huh...? What was that? She gazed out the window, looking around until, through the falling snow, she caught sight of a figure crossing the rooftops of Ponyville.

"Is something wrong, Sunset?" Twilight asked, catching Sunset's attention.

"I thought I saw somepony hopping across the rooftops..." Sunset answered slowly, her eyes narrowing.

Twilight walked over to the window and took a look for herself. "I don't see anypony up there," she told Sunset with a frown. "You sure you're not seeing things?"

"I'm sure I saw something," Sunset replied, heading for the door. "I'm gonna go check it out."

"Sunset!" Pinkie jumped up from behind Sunset, startling the unicorn just as she reached the door. "You're not leaving now, are you?! There's still gifts to exchange!"

Sunset smiled. "Don't worry, Pinkie. I'm just checking something out. I thought I saw a pony on the rooftops outside."

"Ooh!" Pinkie leaned in towards Sunset, her eyes narrowing dangerously through the ski mask that suddenly appeared on her face. "Some criminal's trying to ruin Hearth's Warming Eve, is he?"

"It looks that way," Sunset replied, opening the door and stepping outside into the cold winter night. "I'll be back shortly."

"Make sure to kick his flank for me!" Rainbow Dash shouted, pumping her hoof into the air.

"I will," Sunset replied with a smirk. Shutting the door behind her, she galloped into a nearby alleyway. After a quick glance around to make sure she was alone, she tapped the pendant hanging around her neck twice with her hoof.

The pendant, styled after Sunset's cutie mark, was more than just a fashion accessory she wore at all times. After she tapped it, it glowed brightly until it enveloped Sunset, the sudden wind blowing around her keeping the snow away. A long-collared purple bodysuit covered her body, decorated with dark blue bandages around her hooves. A long, flowing cape followed afterwards, dark blue and held in place around her neck by a clasp with the letter "M" monogrammed on it. Floating slowly onto Sunset's head was a purple fedora with a dark blue band just above the wide brim.

The magical breeze died down and the flash disappeared as Sunset looked up, grasping a dark blue mask with her hooves and pulling it over her face. Except for two light blue eye lenses, the mask was completely featureless, and it was a perfect way to intimidate criminals who were unlucky enough to stand in her way.

For Sunset Shimmer was secretly the Mysterious Mare-Do-We-

"Wait a minute, Sunset!" a voice cried out.

Her eyes widening underneath her mask, Sunset quickly spun around, spotting the source of the voice that just startled her. "Dammit, Rarity!"

The fashionista stepped into the alleyway, approaching the costumed mare as she pulled her mask off, revealing a large scowl. "My apologies, darling," Rarity said. "But you do realize what tonight is, right?"

Sunset groaned. "I know... I should be spending Hearth's Warming with my friends, but-"

"I understand, Sunset," Rarity interrupted, waving her forehoof dismissively. "But I'm not talking about you leaving us to pursue a scoundrel." She pointed her hoof at Sunset. "I'm talking about your costume."

"Huh?" Sunset looked down at herself, craning her neck as she spun in place, trying to find something on her costume she might have overlooked. "What's wrong with it?"

"While your costume is absolutely stylish to the point where it's simply to die for, I'm afraid the colors don't go well with Hearth's Warming Eve," Rarity replied.

Sunset stared at Rarity with a dumbfounded look on her face. "That's it?" she asked. "The costume doesn't match the holiday?"

"Not to worry, dear!" Rarity answered, lighting up her horn as she smiled. "Now hold still for a moment, darling!"

Crap, that's her fashion idea smile! "Wait, what are you-?!" Before Sunset could get her question out, a beam of light shot from Rarity's horn, making a direct hit on Sunset's costume and giving off a bright flash. Sunset closed her eyes as the spell continued to envelop her costume, until the flash died down.

"And there we have it!" Rarity stated boldly. "Oh yes... this'll do nicely!"

Sunset opened her eyes and saw the fashionista beaming, trying to contain her excitement. Then she looked down at her costume, and noticed something different about it. "Uh... Rarity? What'd you do...?"

"I gave it a temporary, but festive look, darling," said Rarity, smugly levitating a hoof mirror with her magic. "What do you think?"

Sunset looked herself over in the mirror for a couple moments, before pulling the mask over her face. After a few more moments, she let out a small chuckle. Rarity could barely make out a grin forming underneath Sunset's mask.

"It's perfect, Rarity."


On the quiet side of Ponyville, all the residents were asleep, no lights shining within their houses. The icy wind continued blowing as snow piled up on the rooftops and the streets.

Suddenly, a window on one of the houses slowly creaked open, revealing a dark, silver figure. A bulging burlap sack safely nestled on her backside, she stealthily leaped outside into the snow. A light blue aura enveloped the windows as the thief closed them shut as quickly, but quietly as she could.

Ducking into an alleyway, she sprinted towards a wall and jumped up. Using her hooves, she kicked off towards the other wall, bouncing between the two surfaces until, with a flip, she landed softly on a rooftop.

The moonlight revealed a mare in a dark silver jumpsuit, wearing a hood over her head. A pair of magenta eyes peeked out through the ski mask covering her face, surveying the area for any unwanted witnesses. Satisfied that she was alone, she gently placed the burlap sack onto the rooftop. "Alright, let's see what you've got here," she whispered to herself as she lit up her horn and opened up the sack.

The moment she began rummaging through its contents, however, a voice stopped her.

"Step away from the bag."

The mare slowly turned around, chuckling as she spotted a pair of glowing white eyes glaring at her from the shadows. "The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well, I take it?" she said, amused. "I've heard a lot about you. Hmm... funny, I thought you liked dark, shadowy colors."

"I decided to dress up for the occasion," Mare-Do-Well replied coldly, stepping out into the moonlight. Instead of her usual dark blue and purple, she was now wearing a dark green bodysuit, the bandages around her hooves as white as the snow beneath her. A long red cape blew behind her in the gentle winter breeze. Her face was covered by a dark red mask with glowing white eye lenses, and sitting firmly on top of her head was a matching fedora with a white band just above the brim. "Judging by that sack you're carrying... breaking into ponies' homes and making off with their stuff? Really low, especially this time of year."

"Hearth's Warming has always sucked for me," the thief replied with a shrug.

"And you thought you'd make others miserable as well, eh?" Mare-Do-Well snorted as she crouched down into a battle stance. "Now step away from those gifts, before I decide to gift you a beatdown."

"Heh heh..." The mare tied up the sack and slung it over her back, before turning around. "You'll have to catch the Silver Ghost first, Miss Mysterious!" she shouted as she took off running.

Ugh... of course she'd run. Frowning underneath her mask, Mare-Do-Well lit up her horn and disappeared with a flash of light. A split second later, she appeared in front of the escaping Silver Ghost, ready to tackle her to the ground.

Before she could, however, the thief lit up her own horn. A bright flash of light later, Mare-Do-Well found herself looking at an empty rooftop.

Dammit, a teleporter! The masked heroine spun around, trying to catch a glimpse of silver through the falling snow. Grr... I hate having to track down criminals who can teleport.

"Looking for me, darling?" a voice called out to her.

Mare-Do-Well turned towards the direction the voice came from, and she spotted Silver Ghost on a nearby rooftop, leaning against a chimney and greeting her with a mocking wave of her hoof.

"Oh, it's on now!" Mare-Do-Well yelled. She teleported onto the rooftop next to Silver Ghost, who rolled out of the way just as the hero swung her hoof at her. Silver Ghost nimbly dodged the next set of kicks and punches thrown at her, until a feint caused her to get tripped up by a sweep kick from Mare-Do-Well. As she tumbled onto the ground, the sack flew off her.

"No!" Silver Ghost shouted, stumbling to her hooves and making a run for her stolen goods. Just as she was about to dive for it, Mare-Do-Well grabbed her legs, causing her to trip and face-plant into the snow, just inches away from the edge of the rooftop. Silver Ghost lifted her head and quickly glanced down at the street. The sack landed right in the middle with a thump, catching the attention of some nearby carolers. Growling, Silver Ghost turned around to glare at her opponent. Her eyes suddenly widened when she saw Mare-Do-Well, her cape flapping behind her as she flew through the air towards her.

Silver Ghost smirked underneath her ski mask. Big mistake. She lifted up her hind legs, catching Mare-Do-Well's torso and the heroine off guard. Before she could react, she found herself toppling over Silver Ghost and off the rooftop towards the street.

Aw crap! Mare-Do-Well extended her gliding cape, not that it helped much as she promptly crashed into the ground, snow piling up on top of her hat. "Jeez..." she groaned as she slowly pushed herself to her hooves. Her suit's protective padding lessened the impact, though her body still ached slightly from the fall. Shaking the snow off her, Mare-Do-Well straightened her hat and took a quick glance up and down the street.

*SMACK!* Mare-Do-Well's eyes narrowed as she slowly turned around, snow dripping off the back of her neck. Behind her was Silver Ghost, a smirk visible through her ski mask as she levitated a snowball. Sitting securely on her backside was the burlap sack she had dropped earlier.

"If you had wanted to get away, you could've done it by now," Mare-Do-Well said coldly.

"Eh, that'd be too easy," Silver Ghost replied, tossing the snowball up and down. "This is a lot more fun." Catching the snowball one last time, she used her magic to fling it at Mare-Do-Well's face.

Without even so much as a flinch, Mare-Do-Well caught the snowball just as it was about to make contact with her muzzle. Throwing it aside, she let out a small chuckle and smirked underneath her mask. As her horn lit up, a dozen or so snowballs were lifted from the ground around her.

Silver Ghost lowered her hoof, shock clearly visible in her eyes as she slowly began to back away. "Uh..."

"You were saying?" Mare-Do-Well said slyly.

"Er..." Before Silver Ghost could get a word out, Mare-Do-Well sent the barrage flying towards her. The thief quickly dove to the side, a few snowballs splattering on her suit, another knocking the hood off her head. Scrambling to her hooves, she narrowly dodged another tackle from Mare-Do-Well before lighting up her horn. Magic enveloped the burlap sack, and Mare-Do-Well took a quick leap backwards as Silver Ghost swung at her. She ducked another attack, following up by countering the next one with a kick. Her hoof knocked away the sack, sending it crashing into the nearby wall. It fell to the ground, its contents spilling out onto the snow. Mare-Do-Well trotted over, her eyes not believing what she was seeing.

"This is... this is food!" The masked hero rummaged through the pile of stolen goods, finding nothing but fruits, bread, and assorted snacks. Not even anything that looked remotely valuable was there. "I don't... what?!" She rounded on Silver Ghost, who simply let out a sigh and removed her ski mask. Her silvery blue mane was messy and unkempt, her white fur smudged with dirt, and bags underneath her tired eyes.

"Yes..." she admitted. "That's all that's there."

"But why?!" Mare-Do-Well blurted out in disbelief.

"I'm just trying to survive," Silver Ghost replied, looking down in shame. "I don't have a home, I can't find any work. I've been living on the streets for a long while, eating nothing but scraps. Eventually, I got fed up with it. I... I hated it!" With a yell, she slammed her hoof on the ground, kicking the snow.

She's homeless? I never would have guessed that... "But what about your family and friends?" Mare-Do-Well asked, slowly taking off her hat. "Surely they could-"

"My parents disappeared a long time ago," Silver Ghost replied. "And I don't have any friends, it's just me." She groaned and slumped up against the wall, covering her face with her hooves. "I felt so pathetic, having to dig through trash cans and garbage dumpsters just to find something to eat!" she shouted angrily. "I... I couldn't take it! Until one day, when I snatched an apple from a vendor while his back was turned... and that's when it started. I found myself becoming a thief. Except it wasn't money or valuables I wanted, just food."

"That's a pretty unusual trait for a thief," Mare-Do-Well replied, walking up beside Silver Ghost and sitting beside her. "Usually it's the really valuable stuff they go after."

"What good would that do me, anyway?" Silver Ghost shot back. "There's nowhere in Ponyville where I can sell or trade them without eventually getting caught. And the other cities are miles away. So I'm stuck here, spending another Hearth's Warming robbing ponies of their food just to stay alive." She let out a sarcastic chuckle. "What a great way to spend a holiday about harmony, huh? Sneaking around hoping you don't get caught while everypony else is in their homes, laughing and having a great time with their loved ones?" she grumbled. "Talk about pathetic."

Listening to Silver Ghost, Mare-Do-Well couldn't help but felt sorry for her. As much as she needs to be turned in... I don't know if I could, though. Especially this time of year when she's all alone. She racked her brains, trying to figure out how she could help.

Suddenly, an idea came to her. She stood up and placed her hat back on her head. "Silver Ghost? I'd like you to follow me."

Silver Ghost stared incredulously at Mare-Do-Well. "What?"

"I won't turn you in, but you have to promise to stop stealing from other ponies," Mare-Do-Well told her firmly. "I know a couple good ponies who will help you get back on your hooves, I can take you to them."

"And what makes you so sure they will help?" Silver Ghost asked, looking unsure.

Mare-Do-Well turned around and gave her an invisible smile. "Trust me, they'd never turn down somepony in need. But first..." Lighting up her horn, she levitated the stolen food, placing them gently back into the bag before securing it on her backside. "We need to return these."


"Hey, gimme back my hat, Rainbow Dash!"

"You'll have to catch me first! Nyah!"

Back at Sugar Cube Corner, Sunset's friends were patiently waiting for her to return so they could get back to opening presents. In Rainbow Dash's case, "patiently" meant snatching Applejack's Stetson off her head. While a disgruntled Applejack shouted and Rainbow Dash teased her by flying out of her reach, Pinkie Pie trotted out of the kitchen with even more cookies.

"Who's hungry?!" she squealed excitedly.

"Sorry, I've eaten all I could," Rarity replied, taking a sip of water. "After about twenty batches, I'm surprised you haven't run out of ingredients yet."

"Oh, I've got plenty more, enough for another twenty batches!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed, gesturing to the kitchen. "I've already got another fresh one baking in the oven, actually!"

"Um..." Twilight rubbed the back of her head. "I think we've had enough, Pinkie. We can save some for later though. Sunset might need a snack when she gets back."

"Speaking of which, where is she?" Rarity wondered out loud. "She's been gone for quite a while. I hope she didn't get held up."

"I'm sure she's fine," Twilight replied, looking out the window. "She's a pretty capable hero."

"Ooh!" Pinkie Pie jumped up and down excitedly, raising her hoof into the air before going on one of her tangents. "Maybe she caught that meanie-pants jerk leaping across town, then she interrogated him Batmare-style, you know, with that deep, gravelly voice, like 'WHO SENT YOU?!?!' while she's got him pinned to the wall, then she found out he's part of an underground crime syndicate operating from Manehattan, and she's heading there now to take down the head honcho, about to get ambushed by an army of highly-trained ninja assassins, and-"

*KNOCK KNOCK!*

"Or maybe she's back," Fluttershy said meekly as she and everypony else turned to the doorway.

Pinkie Pie paused for a few moments. "Wow, that was really quick!"

"I'll get it," Twilight said. Getting to her hooves, she approached the door and opened it. Instead of Sunset, however, she found another pony standing out in the snow, one she didn't recognize. "Oh my..."

"Um..." the pony said, nervously pawing the ground. She was wearing a dark silver jumpsuit, and Twilight could barely see her white muzzle underneath the hood she was wearing. Why'd she bring me to Princess Twilight? Did Mare-Do-Well screw me over?! "I... uh... Mare-Do-Well, could you-?" She turned around, but nopony was there. "What the... where is she?" she muttered, looking up and down the street. "She was just here a second ago."

"Who?" Twilight asked as she leaned out the doorway and took a glance for herself.

"The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well," the pony answered.

Twilight raised her eyebrow. "Mare-Do-Well, huh?" she repeated. What's this about, Sunset?

"She brought me here. She said you could help me out," the pony answered slowly, a hint of worry in her voice. "I... would you mind if I-"

"Hey Twilight!" a voice called out. Twilight and the visitor followed their ears, and were greeted with the sight of Sunset Shimmer, trotting through the snow as her scarf flapped in the wind.

"Sunset, there you are!" Twilight exclaimed, waving her forehoof. As Sunset arrived at the door, she took a glance at the pony standing beside her.

"And who might this be?" she asked.

"She said Mare-Do-Well brought her here," Twilight answered, casting a knowing glance at her apprentice. "But it's a bit chilly out here. Why don't we all come inside to talk?"

"O... okay," the hooded pony said quietly. Twilight stepped aside and allowed her to enter, Sunset following behind her.

As Twilight closed the door, everypony else looked up at the stranger inside the room.

"Why, hello there," Rarity said, approaching the hooded pony and offering her hoof. "Who might you be?"

"I'm... my name is Silver Ghost," the hooded pony answered slowly.

"That probably explains the weird getup," Rainbow Dash muttered. "What's with the hood and jumpsuit?"

Silver Ghost sighed and removed the hood from her head, enticing gasps from everypony in the room.

"Whoa nelly!" "Holy crap!" "Oh dear..." "WHAAAAAA?!"

"Oh my stars, darling! What happened to you?!" Rarity exclaimed, taking a step back as she stared at Silver Ghost's tired face. "No offense, but you look like you haven't slept or washed in days!"

"I... I'm actually homeless," Silver Ghost admitted. "I've been living on the streets for a long time."

"That's horrible!" Fluttershy gasped, covering her mouth.

"So you're a hermit?" Pinkie Pie blurted out.

"Pinkie Pie!" Rarity shouted, looking insulted. "That's no way to talk to somepony in her predicament!"

"Sunset, can I talk to you for a moment?" Twilight gestured for the unicorn to follow her, and the two of them quickly ducked into the kitchen. After making sure they were out of earshot, Twilight turned to Sunset. "Mind telling me what's going on? Why'd you bring her here?"

Sunset told Twilight about Silver Ghost, explaining that she was homeless and unable to find work. With nopony to turn to, and getting fed up with having to live off scraps, she resorted to thievery just to survive. "I figured you girls would be able to help her get her life back on track."

Twilight furrowed her brow, deep in thought. "That's quite a story," she said. "You sure she's not lying?"

Sunset shook her head. "The only thing in the sack she was carrying was food, nothing else. I saw it myself when we were returning everything she stole."

"Hmm..." Twilight walked over to the kitchen door and took a peek outside. At the front of the store, Rarity was trying her best to tidy up Silver Ghost's mane.

"You'll try to help her, right?" Sunset asked, leaning over Twilight's shoulder. "It's the least we could do for her. Besides, it's Hearth's Warming."

"I'll see what I can do," Twilight answered.

"I must say darling, you could really use some tidying up!" Rarity muttered as she brushed Silver Ghost's mane. "Luckily, I know a place that can do wonders for you! If you'd like, I can take you there after Hearth's Warming!"

"That sounds nice," Silver Ghost replied with a small smile. She then turned to Pinkie Pie, who was balancing a tray of cookies on her head. "Hey, miss... uh..."

"Pinkie Pie!" the party pony squealed. "If you need a super duper party to throw, there's no better pony to turn to!"

"Actually, I'm a bit hungry," Silver Ghost told her, pointing at the cookie tray. "Would you mind if-?"

"Knock yourself out!" Pinkie answered, lowering her head. "There's plenty more where that came from!"

Silver Ghost lit up her horn, and one of the cookies floated off the tray towards her. She took a bite, and her eyes widened. "Whoa... these are really good!"

"Only the very best from Aunt Pinkie!" Pinkie told her, offering her the tray as Silver Ghost wolfed down the rest of her snack. "If you'd like, you can have the rest of the tray!"

"Are you sure?" Silver Ghost asked, levitating a few more cookies. "What about you guys?"

"She's baked twenty trays' worth of cookies already," Applejack told her. "And if I'm not mistaken, she's got yet another batch coming. We'll be fine letting you have the rest of that one."

"Twenty?!" Silver Ghost blurted out in disbelief, a few crumbs falling down her muzzle as a result of the half-eaten cookie still in her mouth. Taking a gulp, she turned towards Pinkie Pie. "How'd you even manage that?!"

"It's better that you don't ask," Twilight said as she entered the room, followed by Sunset. "Trust me, trying to figure out how Pinkie Pie works will give you a headache. Now then..." She approached Silver Ghost and sat down in front of her. "You mentioned that you need a place to stay?"

Silver Ghost nodded. "I'd also like to look for some work, if you don't mind."

"Well, we could use some extra hooves down at Sweet Apple Acres," Applejack told her, placing her arm on the unicorn's shoulder. "Not right now, of course, but once Winter Wrap-Up's done and we begin the harvesting."

"How about becoming my assistant baker?" Pinkie Pie asked, offering Silver Ghost an apron. "I can't bake all these cookies by myself!"

"You just did, though," Applejack pointed out.

"Um..." Fluttershy nervously held up her hoof. "If you're good with animals, you could help me take care of them at my place. I-if you don't mind, that is. Just be careful around Angel, he can be pretty stubborn at times."

"And once you get tidied up, you could do some modeling for me!" Rarity piped up. "Not to mention, it could help me design some nicer outfits for you. Celestia knows how much abuse that jumpsuit and hood have probably gone through."

"Please do it," Rainbow Dash whispered to Silver Ghost. "I can't stand modeling for Rarity. Especially when she dolls me up like she did on Nightmare Night."

"I heard that, Rainbow Dash!" Rarity snapped while Applejack fell over, laughing at the memory of a gorgeous Rainbow Dash. "Plus, if I recall, you actually liked your mane being dyed magenta."

"Yeah, because it looked awesome!" Rainbow Dash retorted. "The makeup and the dress, however? Not cool."

"I... I..." Silver Ghost was taken aback by all the offers she was getting. This is a bit much!

"In the meantime, you can stay at my castle," Twilight added. "As long as it takes for you to get your life back on track."

Silver Ghost's eyes widened, she didn't believe what she just heard. Princess Twilight's offering to let me stay in her castle?! "Really?" she replied. "I don't want to be a burden."

"Nonsense," Sunset said, waving her hoof dismissively. "There's plenty of room, and besides, we're not gonna leave a pony in need out on the cold streets. Especially on Hearth's Warming."

Silver Ghost looked at all the ponies around her, all giving her looks of encouragement. Even though Mare-Do-Well assured her that they wouldn't turn her away, she was still surprised at how generous they were being.

One thing that really caught her off-guard was one of the ponies offering to help being Princess Twilight. It's almost like... do Princess Twilight and Mare-Do-Well know each other...?

"So what do you say?" Twilight asked, bringing Silver Ghost out of her thoughts.

Silver Ghost hesitated for a moment, then she brushed her mane out of her eyes and smiled. "Yeah... that sounds good. However, I'd like to ask you something first, Princess Twilight."

"Of course," Twilight said. "What is it?"

"Um... I'm just wondering..." Silver Ghost rubbed the back of her head, smiling nervously. "The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well is the one who brought me to you guys. I'm just wondering... do you two know each other?"

"Mare-Do-Well, eh?" Twilight chuckled and gave a sideways glance towards the amber unicorn standing beside her. "Yeah, you could say that."


That was a great thing you did, Sunset Shimmer.

Happy Hearth's Warming Eve, my faithful student.

Author's Note:

And that wraps up "A Sunset-Do-Well Hearth's Warming Eve", a quick one-shot story I wrote to celebrate the holidays.

Merry Christmas, everypony!

Comments ( 21 )

the mysterious mare do well is a fucking terrorist.

that is all.

Also, is that a Noel Mare Do Well I see in the Author's note?

6745342

yeah yeah, they both scream alluh akbar

6745404

Obviously.

since when has helping someone helped someone?

6745347 Nah, that's just Mare-Do-Well decked out in Christmas colors. :twilightsmile:

6745429
Well, I'm dubbing it Noel Mare Do Well.:trollestia:

6745413 You disgust me good sir. Go troll somewhere else as you hide in the basement of your old home.

Now this was a cute Christmas story, nice tie-in to Mare-Do-Well. :twilightsmile:

6745631

WOOPS, forgot my obvious /sarcasm sensors were off.

Maybe now I'll finally get around to reading past chapter 3 of the main story :facehoof:

Really liked this side story though!

Ah, a Batman and the Grey Ghost reference. Great nod to the animated series.

6746221 Actually... that was unintentional. I never really watched Batman TAS. :twilightblush:

6747764
oh, well.... great coincidence!

It's 1:07 Christmas morning. I loved this. It was worth the wait since you wrote it, as I knew it would be. You are a great writer, by the way, and I look forward to reading this again next year.

I wonder if Silver Ghost will become a Catwoman-like figure in Sunset's life?

I've got a feeling that this universe's version of the Mares of the Round Table will be Sunset and her fellow heroes (including one or two reformed villains, as with the JLA).

Pity this series ended. I would have liked to see Sunset and silver team up to fight crime. Oh well

Login or register to comment