• Published 6th Dec 2015
  • 1,193 Views, 22 Comments

A Single Mistake - electrocardiograph



Twilight Sparkle makes a mistake, and the whole world changes overnight. Friendship goes into it's darkest hour, and no one is sure about the future of anyone anymore.

  • ...
4
 22
 1,193

Princess Pep Talk

"Where are you going?"

"Somewhere, I'm not coming back."

"Well...why? Is it something important?"

"Yeah."

"You're being very vague...I don't like that sister."

"It's just something personal...and...something I need to do. Sorry I can't offer a better explanation than that."

"You better not be going off somewhere with some stallion..."

A quiet chuckle. "It's not that. I'm not even into stallions."

"Well I love you sis, I hope you do come back."

"I love you too..."

~~~~~

Twilight was scared.

She had been teleporting frantically across Equestria, her magic out of control due to her unbridled emotions. It had been a few hours since the accident, and she felt like she was still trapped watching it over and over again.

"Twilight! Calm down! Please! You'll hurt yourself! You'll hurt me!" Spike whined, barely gripping onto the wild mare as she frantically teleported again.

Spike recognized the place they were in instantly. He had spent much of his young life here after all. It was Twilight's home in Canterlot during her studies under Princess Celestia. The makeshift home felt like it was carved out of a library, although Twilight herself had built the extensive book collection during her stay. It used to just be a quiet watch tower until the bookworm got her hooves on it. Though that was in the past, now today it had been abandoned since Twilight's departure, and was mostly a home for dust and cobwebs.

Twilight had spent the entire time teleporting through her memories of Canterlot, places where she played as a filly and where she lived. Ponies had spotted the erratic princess all over Canterlot, and were no doubt sending reports.

"Twilight please! Listen to me! It's me! Spike!" Her companion cried, hugging her neck tightly, hoping some expression of love would come through to her.

The mare finally relented, taking deep heavy breaths, racked with sobs. Her face was covered in tears, her tear ducts probably exhausted. Her mane was in a mess, and her princess ornaments had been discarded somewhere in between her chaotic teleports. Her magic went out of control after the killing. Magic was greatly affected by emotions, and even powerful alicorns like Twilight could find themselves emotional and out of control.

"W-what happened Spike..." She spoke in a shattered voice after a few moments of recollecting.

"It's okay Twilight...don't think about it...just please. Calm down okay?" Spike was about to grab her horn, to cut off her magic supply. This was the third time he had been trying to talk her down. Each time Twilight had begun teleporting again. He wished he had a horn ring...

"I can't not think about it! Did you see what I did!? I...I killed her!" Spike ignored that for now. He had to control her magic first.

With great determination, Spike accosted Twilight's horn. It was rippling with unstable magic, just like the unstable mare using it. His claws grabbed around the base of the horn, it burned Spike's claws at first causing him to tear up. But he stayed strong, and with his grip he cut off Twilight's magic and the horn went silent.

Twilight didn't even notice. "What did I do!? What did I do!?" She had been repeating things like that throughout the entire ordeal. She was out of control and delirious, and Spike was worried she'd hurt somepony else or even herself.

Spike sighed in relief as the pain around his claws subsided, no more teleports at least. "Twilight...it's okay...it's going to be okay." The little dragon reassured. He had to be strong for his Twilight. He was just as scared, confused, and worried just as much as the mare. But right now Twilight needed him more than ever, and he had to hold onto himself and keep his emotions in check.

"No it's not! It's not going to be okay! I killed Starlight!" She repeated. Twilight was naturally prone to hysterics, even though she denied this. She was secretly probably worse than Rarity's exaggerated whines. But the difference here being the situation was very grave.

"Twilight...teleporting like crazy and being out of control isn't going to help. We're going to get through this okay? We both know you'd never do that to a pony without reason." Spike was trying every reassurance in the bag. Hoping something would click with his afflicted friend.

Twilight took some more heavy breaths again, her chest heaving up and down as she calmed herself. They had been running for six or so hours, a feat that no normal pony could do. However alicorns easily had the strength to stay running for days if they pleased and even Twilight, who was not as adjusted to it as the other three were, could still outpace a Wonderbolt.

"O-okay...okay you're right..." Twilight wheezed, exhaustion finally leveling her out. Even fear had to take a break and rest.

"So c-can we stop...teleporting please?" Spike hoped she was finally lucid again.

"Y-yeah..." The mare collapsed on the floor, Spike yelped as suddenly now half his body was stuck under purple fur. Twilight was covered in sweat, dirt, and whatever else they had run into during that storm of teleports. Twilight had even ran through somepony's hanging clothes and had a sock stuck in her hair, which Spike quickly removed.

Spike wiggled his way out from under the mare, getting his feet free. He quickly rushed over to Twilight's front, inspecting her. She was awake, but definitely exhausted and at risk for a heat stroke. It had been a hot day, and she wasn't sweating well. Spike grew worried at that.

"Twilight...I'm going to get some water. Okay? Can...can you stay here for me please?" Spike pleaded with the mare. Twilight was too exhausted to even form words, so she simply nodded in response, but her eyes told him he needed to come back quickly.

The little dragon came over to her head and kissed her forehead affectionately, rubbing her mane. "I'll make sure you'll be alright okay? I'll figure out what's going on for you." Spike said confidently and optimistically, smiling at his surrogate sister. Twilight smiled weakly, another tear forming in her eye.

The purple dragon was quickly on the move after that. Moving through the streets of Canterlot at a swift pace. The cobbled roads were empty today, and Spike knew full well why the city had suddenly gone silent. Much of the city had shut down, and guards patrolled the streets. There was a dangerous alicorn on the lose and nopony was sure what to do next, other than find her.

He quickly found a tap well, not a healthy source of water but it would have to do. Using his claws to turn the gear, he quickly realized he needed some sort of cup. Turning around and scanning the area around him he located a dog bowl, which was definitely not ideal. He had kept the tower Twilight rested in his line of sight as he traveled through the residential area. Now he was collecting water in a grimy dog bowl for Twilight, something he hoped she wouldn't mind...

A guard passed by, hearing the noise of the tap gushing water. Spike quickly hid in the well kept bushes with a gasp. He didn't want to be caught and forced to reveal Twilight's location yet. He was worried it would cause her more duress and she would lose control of her magic again.

The armored pony inquisitively inspected the area, scanning with his eyes. Something was here, for sure he thought to himself. He trotted through the place, thankfully not noticing the tiny dragon tail poking out of the bushes. After a few moments of patrolling, he knew he'd be off his schedule if he wasted anymore time, and elected to give up his search and just file a report about it.

Spike gasped and finally took in some much needed oxygen. He had been holding his breath the whole time. "That was close..." He whispered to himself, quickly getting the dog bowl and heading as fast as his little legs could carry him to his heartbroken friend.

~~~~

Twilight greedily lapped water from the bowl. It was big enough to sate her thirst for now, and to get her body back in order. "Sorry about the dog bowl...I was...moving fast and there were guards..." Spike began to explain. "It's fine Spike." Twilight eased his worries, she didn't care. Funnily enough the bowl had the name Spike engraved on it, which no doubt gave Spike second thoughts about his name...

"So...you...okay?" The dragon asked with a tinge of worry, he could trigger her hysteria again.

Twilight took a deep sip and ran her tongue across her teeth, trying to get the dryness out. "I'm fine as I can be." She stated simply.

"I'm sorry for...the teleporting and all...I didn't mean for that to happen." Twilight explained, worried she had hurt Spike. She had hurt enough ponies for a lifetime.

"Nah it's fine. Don't worry about it." Spike waved it off with a claw, rubbing Twilight's mane again. "I'm just glad you're okay!"

"I was more worried about you." Twilight said with a soft smile. She reached over with a hoof and grabbed Spike in a tight hug that made the dragon squeak. He accepted however, because right now Twilight needed him.

"We're gonna get through this alright?" Spike hoped his constant stream of reassurances would make everything better. Twilight cuddled around him, wrapping her wings around the tiny dragon. Spike was there for her at least, and that really made the situation a lot better. For once, Twilight believed she could really get through this...


"This is the last place we haven't searched yet. It's Sparkle's old home in Canterlot." A fierce guard captain explained to his platoon, awaiting their breaching orders at the base of the tower. It was nightfall now, the guards were scared. An alicorn was on the loose and nopony was sure what she was going to do next.

"Sir! Shouldn't we wait for reinforcements?" A young rookie pointed out, with a respectful salute.

"No can do. The royal guard is spread wide searching for the princess. We've had reports all over the place and we've sent a squad to inspect each. Needless to say it's a tight ship." The old veteran explained to the whole order.

" Luna wants her alive at all costs. Do not maim or attack. Stun only. Understood? Anypony caught doing so will be whipped and his rank taken from him and probably punishment from the princesses themselves." That threat made some of the younger guards nervous. "Is that clear? Any questions?" A strict silence. "Good! Now! Form up and commence with the breach!"

The guards were disciplined, each solider moving to what he needed to be doing, like well oiled cogs in a machine. The pegasi scouted ahead and watched the flanks, while others assisted with the earth ponies lifting the battering ram. Unicorns set up detection spells and readied their horns with a variety of stun or restriction spells. Orders were clear. No harm was to come to Twilight other than what was absolutely necessary.

They were operating under the assumption that Twilight was in her old tower. Many of them doubted it, as all the last twenty breaches they performed that day alone resulted in just a bunch of scared city ponies. Some of the guards were tired and disillusioned, and even the old earth pony in charge was a bit annoyed to say the least.

Meanwhile Twilight sighed into Spike's neck, still hugging him and feeling fresh tears develop. Spike simply stayed where he was needed, his tiny stubby hands massaging Twilight's back. They stayed like this for a few more moments, Spike was happy to help.

"One, two, three...BREACH!" The door was disintegrated by the powerful force of the ram, and a troop of guards stomped through the dust and shards of door with practiced organization. Twilight looked up with teary eyes, not having the energy to even give a verbal reaction. Spike yelped, jumping in front of Twilight as a method to defend her as the guards trumpeting around them.

"We found her!" One of the ponies declared, ecstatic.

"Twilight Sparkle. You are wanted for questioning under order of Princesses Luna and Cadence." The captain formally declared. "Please come quietly and do not resist. We are under strict orders to make sure you are escorted to the castle safely."

Twilight stayed silent for a moment. This was not the regal princess insane with power the guards were expecting. She was racked with tears and sobs, her fur matted and her mane a mess. Her royal regalia had been abandoned throughout the constant teleporting frenzy. She looked weak and helpless, a bit pathetic.

"Do...do you comply?" The leader asked for a moment, a bit estranged by her behavior. And worried she'd blast him too.

Twilight Sparkle stood up, brushing past her dragon defender. "I...I comply..." She stated as strongly as she could muster.

Every guard in that room breathed a sigh of relief.

~~~~~

The trip to the royal castle was a quiet one. It was almost as if they were trying to sneak her through an enemy controlled country. The ride in the carriage was rather nice for a murderer. It was well cushioned, neither Twilight or Spike were restrained in any way, and they were left alone. Luna had also stated with great emphasis as well to make sure Twilight's trip was kept very quiet. It was the dead of the night, and a rather small unassuming red carriage only manned by two guardsmen carried one of the most potentially dangerous criminals in Equestria.

There were no platoon of guards awaiting it's arrival, just an empty courtyard. Luna still trusted and praised Twilight immensely. There were numerous opportunities for the estranged alicorn to escape, but she took none of them. She was accepting her fate, and the terrible action she had done.

"Spike really...go back to the hotel okay? My friends will come soon, and you can see them." Twilight offered to her baby dragon.

"That's not happening. I'm staying with you." Spike snorted.

"But Spike...please. You...I don't want you to see this...you already saw...what I did..."

"Something must had been messing with your mind Twi. There's no way you'd do something like that."

"I swear...I thought...you were being choked...I thought you were going to die..."

"Starlight was just playing mind games. She's probably not even dead. She's probably out hiding somewhere, we'll find her and we'll lock her up!" Spike declared, with his usual optimism.

Twilight wished she could share in that optimism right now.

The castle was oddly deserted. With most ponies sent home early, and the guard given a much needed break after the hunt. There were only a few advisers and maids left along with Cadence and Luna. Celestia had left right as the news began to spread. Now, several hours after her departure, all of Canterlot knew, and it was spreading like a bad cough to the mainland.

Luna's personal guards replaced Celestia's as they trotted through the castle in their dark armor. Even after some minor changes and being encouraged to smile a bit more by Tia, they still looked dark and menacing. Luna argued fear was much more worthwhile to their enemies than good appearances, which Celestia wholeheartedly disagreed with. They reached a compromise, the guards would lose the spiked edges on their armor, and sometimes....every so often...they'd try to make a friend.

Most of the servants remaining were convinced Luna was trying to take over the castle again instead.

The bat ponies eyed Twilight in the empty castle, hanging from their perches and flying around in the rafters. They preferred creepy observation rather than direct contact, which added to their mystery. Twilight tried to ignore them, Luna and Cadence were waiting for her, but it was quite difficult when you felt like you were being watched from every angle.

Suddenly a rather big bat pony flew down, blocking the steps up into the main chambers. He eyed Sparkle with a bit of malice, but there was a tinge of worry underneath it.

"State your business." They all knew why she was here...

"I'm here to see Luna and Cadence." Twilight repeated, in a soft voice. She still looked a mess, and her voice had been rung dry from the constant crying.

"Are you going to try anything?" It was obvious he didn't trust her. How could anypony really? Their job was to protect Luna at all costs, and Twilight was a threat.

"No! Of course not!" The purple alicorn insisted, she didn't want to be accused of something so awful. Spike looked tense next to her, he wanted to say something to defend her...but bat ponies were kind of scary...

"Right....I don't know what's gotten into you. Luna considers you a friend. But you're dangerous...too young to hold so much power..." The guard asserted. He was oddly big for a bat pony, who were mostly thin and slender like pegasi. His fangs were out to intimidate, and his armor glistened in the moonlight peaking through the windows. Time seemed to be going so fast today.

"I-I would never! I would never hurt anypony!"

"Like that mare in the marketplace right?" The guard huffed, displeased with her.

"Night Light!" Luna suddenly appeared at the top of the stairs, staring righteous fury at the bat pony in question.

"Miss Luna!" He cried, quickly wheeling around and offering a salute. "I was simply che-

"Go!" Luna waved him off, and he scampered back into the rafters, no doubt some of the other bats giggling to themselves about that one.

"Luna!" Twilight smiled, rushing up the stairs to great her friend. She accepted her with open wings, hugging the faithful student dearly.

"Twilight. I was so worried..." Luna says in a gentle voice, all the fierceness from before fading in an instant. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine...as much as I could be." Twilight admitted, breaking the hug as shame returned in her gut.

"It is alright princess. We will figure this out and clear your name." She gave a confident smile, hiding any doubts in her mind effectively. But there was no way it would fool a smart pony like Twilight.

"I hope so."

"And I did not forget about you Spike." Luna smiled at the baby dragon, rubbing his scales affectionately. Spike was more of a Celestia fan, but Luna was still pretty cool.

"Awh. I'm alright. Just taking care of Twi as usual."

"You've done a wonderful job. But...right now. We need to speak to Twilight in private..." Luna said, her voice growing heavy.

"Oh...well. Alright. Super important princess stuff right?"

"Right. Please do not take offense. You can choose to wait outside, or one of my guards can escort you to Twilight's bedroom. You'll be staying here tonight." Neither of them had any objections to that.

"That's cool." Spike said, rubbing the back of his neck. He was too tired to do much more than simple responses.

"I'll see you soon Spike...thank you for being here for me." Twilight told the dragon, giving him one more hug. That dragon meant the world to her, and he had stood with her in her darkest moment. He was one of the best friends she ever had.

"It was nothin Twi. See you soon!" Spike waved the two princesses off. He didn't think much of it. Too young to process everything he just did.

Luna escorted Twilight into the main chambers, there was much to discuss. Spike fiddled his thumbs outside, pacing around similar to how Cadence had earlier. He looked up and saw at least a dozen bat ponies staring back down at him...

"Uh...h-hi there..." Spike whimpered, as some of the bat ponies began to smile devilishly.

~~~~~

Luna was a master of looking stoic, even during the most stressful of times. Cadence was emotional and extroverted. Her worry was very clear and evident, her pink hooves constantly trotting across the marble stone floors. Luna sat in her throne, whereas Cadence couldn't just take Celestia's seat, so she elected to keep to her pacing.

Twilight was sitting before the throne, like she had when she used to greet her mentor for a new day of learning. She was here for a very different reason today.

"Twilight. Please. Tell us what happened?" Cadence spoke up first, there wasn't much time for greetings.

"It was so sudden...Me and Spike were coming down from the university, Starlight just...came out of nowhere. She starting threatening me and Spike and then she just...walked off. She was acting so strange, like she had something up her sleeve." Twilight began.

"Like she knew something?" Cadence asked.

"Right...but...I didn't know...and it scared me. So I tracked her down, I kept following her. She was in the marketplace...just...being so casual. I think she knew what she was doing...I think she knew what was going to happen..." Twilight kept her emotions in check, but the revelations were taking a toll on her.

"But she got herself ki- uh...well..."

"No...it's okay. You can say it." Twilight reassured Cadence with a hoof.

"Killed." The word felt like acid on Cadence's tongue. She couldn't believe she was saying it.

"Yes. It's obvious it was intentional." Luna stated flatly, observing from her lunar throne.

"How do you know for sure!?" Both ponies asked almost in unison.

"Why else would she lure you out in the middle of a very public marketplace. Intentionally goad you into attacking. Now whether or not it was to be killed or to simply draw your attention is a different matter altogether..." Luna paused, thinking to herself for a moment. She had been thinking about it non stop since she heard it.

"Why did you kill her Twilight?" It was a simple question, but it tore at Twilight's heart.

"I...I didn't mean to...I would never have done it! I don't know what I was thinking!" Twilight tried to ease the turmoil in her head.

"I do not assume such evil things of you. This is all just a horrible mistake, as I have told Cadence." The pink princess nodded in agreement.

"Okay...okay..." Twilight calmed herself, focusing on the matter at hand. "Alright. I...I saw Spike...just...being choked. Like something was around his neck...but...there was nothing. I couldn't see any magic or hooves or anything like that. It just seemed like he was on the verge of dying...and I was getting desperate. I was pleading with Starlight...I shot some spells at her but she had a shield to defend herself. I was scared...so...I...made a spell powerful enough to shatter the shield..." Twilight was beginning to tear up again, unable to continue.

"That is enough Twilight." Luna interrupted with stern voice and hoof. "It's obvious she had some access to strange magics and was manipulating you. You only did what you thought you had to." The lunar princess spoke as if she had already solved the mystery. However she was just as lost as the others, just trying to appear confident to increase morale. Since Celestia was gone after all...someone had to be the mysterious wise one.

"But why would she do such a thing!? What does she hope to accomplish by that!? All she did was hurt Twilight!" Cadence cried, confusion turning to anger.

"She must be trying to incite anti princess sentiment. I am sure she is not even dead, more than likely an illusion. Our main focus should be to ease the public and to find Starlight." Princess Luna was shooting in the dark.

"How is this going to turn anypony against the princesses...we've done nothing but good for Equestria!" Cadence moved closer to Luna, focusing on her.

"Yes...nothing but good...it is not as if we have done terrible things..." Luna spoke very coldly, bad memories coming back to haunt her once more. She was surprised she had to remind Cadence of that, she must have forgotten in the moment.

"I...I forgot..." Cadence bemoaned, stepping back. Nopony liked to bring up that foul subject in front of anypony, especially Luna.

"No. It is fine. It's simply just that there is reason for the public to distrust us. Celestia has made her mistakes...I have made my mistakes...it is easy for ponies to misconstrue us as tyrants..."

"Surely we can convince them it was just a mistake!" Twilight suddenly burst back into the conversation. Mostly out of desperation, she was scared she had ruined everything for everypony.

"Twilight...it will be difficult. To most ponies...it must appear as if you killed her in cold blood...for whatever reason. You know it does not matter with the masses, who are very easily prone to hysteria." Luna explained.

"I understand." The friendship princess said solemnly.

"Exactly. Princess. There has been...uneasy history between us and our subjects to say the least Twilight. You should know this." Luna looked away, staring into her moonlight.

"I messed up bad didn't I...everything is going to go to hell because of me..." Twilight whimpered, emotions taking over.

"No. We will give you a trial, judge you and show you did nothing wrong and it was a mistake. Find Starlight, get to the bottom of this and the situation is fine." Luna said confidently, standing from her throne and coming over to put a wing on Twilight.

"Is it really that simple?" Cadence asked. Full of doubt just like Twilight.

"I'm sure of it." Luna was confident, she was an effective ruler. She would handle this entire situation without her sister's help, and without breaking her heart. This would be dealt with swiftly and professionally. Luna thought to herself, smiling.

"Now. It has been a long day and you should rest Twilight." The lunar princess gently rubbed Twilight's back with her wing, which eased the turmoil she was feeling.

"You're right...I'm really...pooped..." Twilight said with a bit of a giggling snort, a bit of humor sneaking back into her.

"How crude." Luna said, with a light smile.

"This is great and all but what if it doesn't work?" The pink pony wasn't feeling Luna's confidence. "What if she really is dead!?"

"I am sure we can change to fit the situation, there is no point in worrying now. I will meet with my advisers tonight and the trial will commence tomorrow. We'll get this all out of the way and explain what has occurred".

Cadence wanted to argue, but Luna's points made sense, and Twilight did need some comforting news for once.

"Luna...w-would it help if I...stepped down...from being a princess?" Twilight asked with a heavy heart.

"No! There is no reason for you too!" She gasped, stunned she would suggest that. "Twilight you are a princess because you earned it! And somepony's machinations are not going to take that away from you."

"But...I don't want to cause any violence or unrest..."

"Nonsense. It won't happen. There will be some confusion and accusations at first, but the hysteria will die down. Things will go back to normal quickly."

"Plus. Princesses must endure hard times, with great power comes great responsibility as they say." Luna continued, being very wise and complex. She was intentionally trying to mimic something she thought her sister would say.

"Isn't...isn't that from a comic book?" Cadence inquired.

"Now." Luna ignored her. "Get some rest, you need it. And Cadence and I will handle things on this front. Get a good, relaxing sleep." Luna released her wing, nodded at Twilight. "I will make sure you have excellent dreams."

Luna's confidence was beginning to rub onto Twilight. "Alright...you're right I think. But...where is Celestia?" Twilight was surprised she completely forgot her mentor and dear friend was nowhere to be found. "D-does...she know...?"

"Oh...uh...she had some duties to attend to in Griffonstone. She should be back in a few days..." Cadence looked at Luna while she answered, worried what would happen if Twilight knew the truth. "She...does not know....I did not tell her..." Luna's expression was one of regret and sadness.

"Luna! I mean...I...I don't know...she...she should know...but...it's...so..." Twilight's emotions reigned over again, the tiny alicorn was in a very fragile state.

" We'll find Starlight, explain everything to Celestia. And redeem you Twilight. There's no use in worrying."

Twilight breathed out a deep sigh. "I trust your judgement Lulu." She smiled.

"Ugh...don't you call me that too...how hard is it to pronounce Luna?" The snooty princess of the night huffed.

"What's wrong with nicknames. I like mine." Cadee said with a giggle, glad to change the conversation to something more pleasant.

"Exactly. Nickname. Like it shortens your name, Lulu is not a nickname of Luna. It's just...some cheesy cutesy nonsense."

"It's just a cute little pet name. Like an expression of love."

"I am not giving this subject anymore credence by entertaining it." Luna saw they were just trying to get at her.

"Okay...Lulu." Another pleasantly foalish giggle.

"Anyways." Luna grimaced. "Get some rest. And we will handle the delegations."

"Thank you...greatly. Both of you. I don't know what I'd do without you." Twilight wiped a tear.

"Oh it is just our job, for a very good friend." Lulu smiled.

"Exactly! Just us helping my awesome sis in law!" Cadence chirped, her usual upbeat self returning. A stark contrast to Luna's reservedness.

"I'm going to go to bed...but seriously. Thanks again...I can't express how helpful you've been." Twilight repeated, a yawn coming on.

Luna nodded and took her leave, her mind quickly moving on to other matters. Cadence gave one last smothering hug before heading off with the lunar princess.

Twilight felt relief. She had a plan and good friends to help accomplish it. It seemed like the nightmare was over and she could rest easy now. She trotted through the large oaken doors. Most of Luna's guards had left, secretly following Luna like a moth to a flame.

She eagerly made her way to her usual bedroom. She knew it well, since it was the same one she stayed in when she was just a student for Celestia. It was a comfy, warm tower personally made for Twilight. Or rather redecorated. It went through several changes with each student who lived in it, each student leaving their own mark in the tower. For Twilight of course, it was basically a mini library.

Climbing up the spiral staircase wasn't fun however... It took her forever to figure out how to finish the teleportation spell to skip that as a filly. Now she did it in an instant, taking it for granted. It was so strange how such meager things now were tremendous tasks in the past. Becoming a princess changed so much for her, physically and mentally and six months after she was still adjusting to her new power.

Spike heard his sister/mother figure whatever how that works burst into room, tired. "Spike..." She weakly groaned out with a yawn. He would prefer her exhausted than crying.

The room hadn't changed much at all from when they last left it. Books scattered around, written down in chickscratch notes all over the place. Melted candles that had yet to be cleaned up from late night study sessions. And a whole box full of broken quills, torn from overuse.

The little dragon was passed out on the queen sized, Celestia sized rather bed. Way too big for the both of them, but Twilight couldn't care less. She plopped down next to the snoring dragon, feeling the exhaustion and the weight of the day burdening down on her. A lot had happened from just a single event, but now with Luna, Cadence, and herself on the job the situation would be fixed quickly, she was confident of that.

She draped the covers over herself and Spike with a magical hoof, snuggling into the warm embrace of the bed sheets. Still as soft as ever.

"Good night Spike..." Twilight whispered out, snuffing out remaining candle flames with some more carefree magic.

She got a snore in response.

It was so wonderfully nostalgic for her. Sleeping after a late night study session with Spike happened all the time. It was a warm gut feeling of being in a safe comfort zone. It rejuvenated her and healed her soul. The emotional scarring easing away as sleep with her noble dragon at her side washed her darkness away. With Luna safeguarding her dreams, and nothing but plentiful hours of rest ahead, Twilight was out in a matter of minutes.

She dreamed about fluffy clouds and bright deserts. Flying dragons eating sheep. And Starlight Glimmer offering Twilight a tea party.

Author's Note:

fug having three characters talk at once you'll eventually run out of adjectives to keep things interesting as you explain who is saying what. I ended up saying their names way too many times.

anyways a little bit of a higher note after the quiet darkness stuff, twilight is all safe n snug in her bed and gonna save the day tomorrow

or not. maybe they all die or whatever

also yes the two characters at the beginning are bert and ernie, that is the official cannon. it turns out starlight was being manipulated by bert and ernie to bring about equestrian jihad

don't read that spoiler you'll ruin the whole story for yourself

sorry about the longer wait too. i got busy n stuff.

Comments ( 8 )

Really hope that Starlight dead. Not because I hate her. Just very interesting to see reaction of Princesses when they understood that they have a deal with someone who ready to die for her ideals, not their usual villain.

6758834

there's a good chance for that. i like that idea as well. but of course there's more to it than that...

I absolutely love mystery stories!but next time you should add to the emotional feelings.
Try reading one of pen strokes stories and you will get a 20/20 picture of what you need.:pinkiesmile:

6772391
add to the emotional feelings? can you elaborate?

6779104
I mean explain what is going on in their heads.what their thoughts and feelings are.
Ex.
(Descriptive)Twilight made to open the door.her heart was racing anticipating what vile creature wait at the other end.the heavy breathing at the other end did absolutely nothing to calm the mood.
Vs.
(Non-Descriptive)Twilight reached out a hoof to open the door and found a vile craeturew waiting at the other end.

6779695

uh
alright
i'll make it even descriptier

6780348
Descriptier...haha a little humor to it seems

Lulu, Cadee, Twily :3

Login or register to comment