• Published 2nd Jun 2012
  • 796 Views, 71 Comments

Bites Of The Dead - Vinyls_Account

  • ...
5
 71
 796

a day in the life

The Wait

-Apple Jack and Rainbow Dash

After breakfast was over, Rainbow Dash felt Apple Jack practically squirm trying to hide that she had so recently been crying. Rainbow knew that Apple Jack wanted to hide her feelings, but wouldn't be able to hide it for much longer. Seeing her dilemma, Rainbow said, "Hey, Twilight, Rarity. I think that Apple Jack and I ought to go out and make sure there aren't any more of those dog things about. Besides, we need to test out our swords on something."

Twilight responded, "So soon? Alright, I'll be out to teach you some basic-"

Rainbow interrupted, "Nah, I think that we should learn ourselves. Besides, don't you need to finish Pinkie-"

"PINKAMENA!" shouted the pink pony in question from across the room.

"PINKIE PIE'S sword?" finished Rainbow, screaming over the other pony's protests.

"I suppose I should. Besides, it's probably better for you two to get a feel for your swords before I train you any," responded Twilight. "Make sure you shout from a long ways off if you find any of the dogs." Twilight contemplated for a second before continuing. "We really should come up with a name for them sometime. See you later."

Rainbow quickly grabbed the tired Apple Jack and dragged her out of the house. Once they passed through the purple barrier and ran far enough to be out of earshot, Rainbow said to Apple Jack, "Come on, we should get somewhere safe. Let's go back to the boutique. There's no reason for Twilight to search for us there, we can talk in peace."

Apple Jack responded, "But Ah doan wanna talk right now. Ah ain't got nothing Ah wanna talk about."

Rainbow said, "Course you do. Besides, even if we don't talk about anything, we can still use Rarity's models to practice with our swords."

The pair walked across the town using the same path as before. Rainbow Dash tried to keep a positive mood throughout the trip, but the occasional splotch of dried blood on the ground made the task nigh impossible. There wasn't a single howl to be heard, nor a dog creature to see in the town. After fifteen minutes of walking, the pair arrived at the town square, and continued into the shop.

Rainbow began, "Look, AJ, I know you really don't want to talk right now or show any of your pain. But I think that if you don't tell me and the rest of us how you actually feel, you're going to eventually break, and we really can't deal with that right now. So tell me how you feel."

Apple Jack groggily shook her head and said, "Ah really ain't got anything ta tell ya that ya doan already know. It'd be pointless ta talk.”

Rainbow Dash replied, “I know it seems pointless, but it really can make you feel better. Tell me how you feel!”

“Ah feel hurt! Ah feel alone! Ah feel like when mah family died, a part of me died with ‘em! Ah watched mah sister die in mah hooves, and when she went, all mah worst fears became real. Ah should be dead, not them! Ah feel… Ah feel so scared,” lamented Apple Jack.

Rainbow Dash was holding Apple Jack in her hooves now as she silently began sobbing. In a rare moment of wisdom, Rainbow Dash spoke, seemingly with an angel’s voice, “There’s nothing wrong with fear. Only stupid ponies never feel fear. Death and fear walk hoof-in-hoof. Death is a natural, inevitable part of life, but that doesn’t make it any easier to deal with. Just think of the positives- they don’t have to live their lives in constant fear of monsters and starvation. Just cry it all out.”

Apple Jack and Rainbow Dash spent the rest of the day in the boutique before trudging slowly back to the library.

-Twilight and Rarity

Shortly after Rainbow Dash and Apple Jack left, Twilight started downstairs. Rarity quickly caught her and whispered in her ear (to avoid aggravating the now-silent Pinkamena), “Twilight, would you mind if I brought my materials downstairs with you? I… well, to be honest, I don’t feel very comfortable around… her, right now.” Her voice spoke of slight guilt at the mention of the discomfort.

“Well, of course. It gets lonely having to work all alone. I hope you don’t mind the heat of the forge. Should I help you bring down your materials?” asked Twilight. Rarity’s anxiety was not missed by the typically oblivious purple unicorn, but was instead politely ignored.

“That would be lovely. Let’s go then,” replied Rarity. The cloth and other clothing-making materials were enveloped in a combined cloud of purple and blue, and floated down the stairs, followed shortly by the unicorns mastering the items. Once downstairs, Rarity and Twilight carefully guided the materials away from the shimmering heat of the forge, onto a table in the middle of the small, bowl-shaped room. The heat of the room was suffocating, but survivable, if one could distract themselves from it.

After releasing the materials, Twilight quickly walked over to an anvil near the forge and used her magic to pick up several lumps of metallic ore. She dragged them in front of her face and line them up, and examined each piece for minute cracks and color veins. At the same time, Rarity contemplated what to make next. Having exhausted all the obvious practical things to make (tarps, tents, blankets, a dress, and a hat), Rarity was at a loss as to what she should create. Having run out of ideas, Rarity asked Twilight, “Well, dear, what do you think I should make?”

Twilight snapped out of her pinpoint focus and said, “Huh? Oh… I don’t know. You’ve made tents and everything else we need for the journey. Why don’t you make yourself a dress?”

Rarity was quick in answering, “Darling, I’m already a step ahead of you. I’ve made myself a beautiful dress and a hat for when we reach Canterlot. I don’t think I have enough time to make more dresses… Oh, I know! I’ll create covers for the sword sheathes! I’ll have them perfectly decorated to match everypony’s personality! Rainbow Dash’s is easy- just make it as cool as I possibly can! For Apple Jack… I’ll just spruce up something simple and strong! And Pinkie Pie,” Rarity stopped suddenly. She felt her mood darken considerably almost instantaneously. Twilight, who had by now gone back to inspecting the ores to let Rarity stay in her groove, dropped the ores, practically tasting Rarity’s dread.

Rarity tried to cover her slip, saying, “I think I’ll make something pink,” as fast as she could, but her voice betrayed her emotion. Knowing that not even Twilight could be that oblivious, she continued, “Oh, Twilight. Do you think she’ll be herself again soon?”

Twilight thought for a while, and said, “I really hope so, Rarity. I think it’s only a matter of time, but still… how much time?” To distract herself, Twilight went back to examining ores, and this time selected a few medium-sized lumps. She dumped them into the heart of the fire, and moved the mold to beneath a small hole near the bottom of the forge. Rarity followed suit, and began selecting cloths to use. Taking a few sticks roughly the size and shape of the scabbards, she began wrapping the cloths around them, occasionally shaking her head as her fashion senses cried for her to try new designs.

After a few hours of work, both Rarity and Twilight had completed their work. They nodded to each other, recognizing that they would have to face the pony that was once Pinkie, and brought the fruits of their labor upstairs. Pinkamena was still quiet, but was shooting death glares across the room in the suddenly terrifying silence. Ignoring the venomous glances, Twilight and Rarity went to the kitchen to begin making dinner.

-Pinkie, Pinkamena, Charles, and Unknown

Even though the pests Rainbow Dash and Apple Jack left, regardless of the fact that Rarity and Twilight weren’t preaching at her, Pinkamena was in a foul mood. Her cheerier side was being more obnoxious than she should have been, considering the condition she was in.

Inside her mind, a painfully flowery voice rang out, seemingly quietly. “Hell-ooo! Aren’t you going to try to suppress me some more?” Had that voice had control of the face, it doubtlessly would have been distorted into smile that would break even the hardest of hearts. Too bad the current master of the face (and the rest of the body for that matter) was lacking in a heart.

Within the stage of the mind, swirling thoughts took shape as Pinkamena looked inward. In the mind, Pinkamena became a gray version of the real pony. Her hair was even more droopy than in reality, giving off a dark aura was well as being completely still, regardless of the mental image’s movement. Another, brightly colored image took shape. Instead of being pink, this image was a wide variety of neon colors. When the image came into complete focus, Pinkamena saw exactly what she expected to: the cheesiest smile plastered to a ridiculously happy face.

“You came to visit me!” shouted Pinkie. “It’s been so long! Well, not really. It’s only been one night. But still! I love it when my friends visit me! The more the merrier! Have you met Charles?”

Pinkamena said in a voice that could wither flowers in an instant, “First, I’m not your friend. Only weak ponies need friends. That’s why you have so many. Second, who the hell is Charles?” Only after completing the question did a brownish… something materialize. It reminded Pinkamena of Discord (a perfectly hateful creature that Pinkamena could only watch from the back seat), except that it seemed less concrete in shape.

The strange being spoke, “I’m Charles. Pleased to meet you. I think…” Its voice was deep and wavy, and when it spoke, several mouths opened, regardless of the definitely singular voice. “It’s strange, as you can imagine, being conscious when you’re being formed. Your thoughts become more concrete as the moments pass, and emotions take shape slowly. Yes, I’m quite sure of it now. I’m quite pleased to meet you.”

Pinkie could barely contain her excitement. “I got really bored just sort of sitting here in darkness, so I thought, ‘Hey, it’d be great if I had some company!’ And then I was all like, ‘Too bad that stinky mean Pinkamena won’t talk to me any, and no one else lives here.’ Then I thought, ‘Wait, if Pinkamena and me both live her, why can’t anyone else?’ So then I spent all night making up a personality that was different from me, but only slightly! That’s how I made Charles!”

Pinkamena rolled her eyes. She looked at the strange being again, and said, “Look, Charley or whatever you’re called. I’d love to spend some time corrupting your mind and generally torturing you, but I’m a bit busy trying to think of a way to escape an inescapable magic prison, and I already have one irremovable nuisance begging for attention, so I’ll make this quick.”

The blob-like existence began speaking, “Make what quick?” However, almost before the last word left its innumerable lips, the creature faded out of existence, melting into the infinite darkness that was the mind.

Pinkie, for once, seemed slightly unhappy. “Well, what’d you do that for? Charles was a nice person! Oh, maybe when I’m in control again, I’ll bring him back! In the meantime though, I am still lonely. I know! I’ll bring someone here that you can’t kill!” Before Pinkamena could ask, a tear in the darkness split open, and a very unusual creature spilt out. The creature seemed to stand on two legs almost seven feet tall, and had strange claw-like things extending from its hooves. Furthermore, the creature had what seemed to be a pair of gigantic white Pegasus wings on its back.

In a dazed state, the creature immediately began analyzing the situation. “Okay… that felt a little too much like a cross-dimensional rift for my comfort. Darkness all around… Shit, I’m in a multi-mind. And away from the multiverse I’m supposed to be guarding. Still, it doesn’t feel at all like the void, so that’s a year of recovery time saved.” At this point, the creature took notice of Pinkamena and Pinkie Pie.

Pinkamena was the first to speak. “Well, Pinkie, you’ve outdone yourself. You’ve successfully created a creature that exhibits some basic intelligence. Now get rid of it.”

The new creature responded, “Well, that’s not exactly what I’d call civil behavior. Hang on, did you just say ‘Pinkie?’”

Pinkie shouted, “Yep, that’s me!”

The stranger’s wings fluttered slightly, as if chilled. “Well, that explains how I’m here. Sort of. I must be in a parallel of my multiverse. That implies that it’s relatively close, which means that I can return, when I charge enough void energy.”

Pinkamena was even less happy than before. “Blah, blah, blah. You blabber more than Pinkie’s last attempt at not being lonely. Prepare to get fizzled.” After a moment of nothing happening, Pinkamena’s dark face shifted in turn from neutral, to one of exertion, to one of confusion, to one of frustration, and finally to one of terror. “You actually exist. You’re real! What are you? WHAT ARE YOU!?!”

The stranger at this point took a look at Pinkamena, and shook his head. “This must be a frightful parallel if it grants you such power over Pinkie. Still, your power here means nothing to me, and likewise, mine means nothing here. I am not granted authority in this plane, so I shall take my leave.”

The tear in reality again ripped open, but before the stranger could leave, Pinkie grabbed onto his leg, and begged him, “Please, don’t just leave me alone with her! I had a friend with me in here once, but she killed him! Please don’t leave me alone…”

The stranger was moved with pity, and said, “All right… I’m assuming this friend of yours was a construct, to have existed here?” Pinkie nodded her head. “Fine. I’ll restore your friend, and make him untouchable to Pinkamena. Let me find the echoes… there.” From the tear in reality, Charles poured out, but this time he was completely vivid. “Your friend is restored. Don’t tell anyone. He will never be powerful enough to overpower either you or Pinkamena, though. My power here is quite limited. Anyway, I do need to be going.”

As the stranger began to step through the gap, Pinkamena’s rage filled the mind. “DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!?! THE HAPPIER PINKIE IS, THE WEAKER I BECOME! I swear, stranger, that one day I will find a way to make you suffer…”

The stranger paused, turned for a moment, and said, “No, I don’t think you will. Goodbye, Pinkamena, Pinkie.” The stranger then stepped through the gap, which then disappeared.

Pinkamena was in full rage now, but was still weakened by Pinkie’s new happiness. To suppress her, Pinkamena created several torture devices and began to torment Pinkie. However, before she could get into the motion of things, Pinkamena sensed physical movement outside the mind, and was forced to withdraw. Because of Pinkie’s new power, Pinkamena had to keep more focus. in staying control, however it changed nothing in the situation.

Back in the mind, Charles said, “What just happened?”




---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This chapter was written by Spike_the_pony. I apologize for having taken so long with it, but it’s finally here. Normally, I just edit these things, but this one is all mine. Anyway, the chapters ought to be rolling out at a more normal rate from now on, as Vinyl’s_Account is going to be writing from now on. Please ignore any and all logic errors between this chapter and any others.



Shout outs to all the regular customers, and I hope you all enjoy it.



Also keep an eye out for that stranger. You never know when and where he might turn up…

Vinyls_Account note: hope you enjoy, and im sorry for the delay, i'll try to get back to my chapter a week schedule, but school is hectic lately, so im sorry if i mess up in advance

Comments ( 6 )

Honestly, this was pretty good. Only slightly confused at points but that's 'cause I just got home from school. Anyway, nice work who ever did this.

1386237
Thank you. I enjoy writing, but sometimes it's difficult to get the motivation. Normally I just edit this, but Vinyls_Account offered to let me write a filler chapter. Anyway, if I ever get the motivation, I'll create my own story using the stranger character. Keep an eye out for it, and keep following Bites of the Dead!

A new chapter? WOHO :pinkiehappy:

1396544 I know that feeling of having no motivation, I'm working on my own story and it's hard to find motivation for it. I'll keep my eye out for that story though.

1585351 friendshipnuke thanks you :pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment