• Published 2nd Jun 2012
  • 796 Views, 71 Comments

Bites Of The Dead - Vinyls_Account

  • ...
5
 71
 796

Pains Of The Past

Rarity was lying on the floor in a very unladylike position, gasping for air. Her mane was hanging in every which way, normally unheard of from the very elegant pony. Pinkie Pie went up to her to see if she was all right, her hair seemed oddly flatter than usual, lacking its typical puffiness as some hairs even hung down over her face. Not even the sight of the completely out of character Rarity brought a smile to Pinkie’s face. Apple Jack was still staring at her tail, with mourning frown of her face, she flicked her tail every few seconds to get used to the weight behind her. Twilight walked back into the library.

"Rarity, I need you to get all the bits of spare metal you managed to rummage up and bring them downstairs please," She said.

Rarity stared at Twilight for a few seconds, then closed her eyes and tried to get up. About half way up, her legs wobbled and she fell down again, breathing heavier now.

"Uuuhh... Once you recover of course." Twilight added as she walked over to a chair.

Apple Jack looked around the room satisfied with her weight testing. "... Where's Rainbow Dash?"

The room became dead silent. Everypony was looking around the room in hopes to see those vivid rainbows. After a short while Twilight threw an order.

"Apple Jack, look outside. I'll check upstairs." She ran there.

Apple Jack ran outside, and around the barrier, careful to keep distance from the ever annoying dog still trying to get in. "RAINBOW DASH!" She called out. "THIS AIN’T FUNNY, WHERE ARE YOU!?" after a round, seeing that Rainbow Dash was not in the barrier, she took a look outside, almost instantly she saw a trademark rainbow streak in the sky. "Damn it Rainbow." she muttered. Apple Jack ran back inside, and to the bottom of the stairs, and called out for Twilight.

"Ah found her Twilight!" She called out. "She's flying off in the distance!"

"Shit!" Twilight exclaimed. "What’s wrong with her?" She ran back down the stairs. "We need to search for her, who knows how many of those things are out there right now."

"Right!" Apple Jack declared. "Let’s go."

"Give me two seconds." Twilight said running down the stairs.

"We ain’t got no time for this Twilight!" Apple Jack yelled after her.

"Don't worry!" Twilight replied. “You'll like this.”

Apple Jack gave a simple angry grunt. It seemed like ages before Twilight came back up. When she did, she was carrying something with her magic.

"Is that...?" Apple Jacked looked in awe.

"Yep!" Twilight smiled. "It’s your sword! Lift up your front right hoof." Twilight said, knowing Apple Jack was right hoofed.

When Apple Jack did as she was told, Twilight put the leather strap under it and the around her neck. The blade was sheathed in an ugly piece of leather, but that did not bother Apple Jack. The hilt, coming out of the sheath, was a bowl shape.

"The blade is locked in the sheath right now." Twilight explained. "To get it out, all you need to do is put your hoof on the hilt. It will attach to your hoof and unlock, then you can pull it out. Try it."

Apple Jack slowly lifted her hoof around her neck and to the hilt. This was unreal; although she had used plenty of farming tools before, she had never even seen a real life sword before, let alone actually used one. Something that was invented for the sole purpose of death, Apple Jack almost wanted nothing to do with it. She hesitated, closed her eyes, took a deep breath and relaxed herself. She blasted her eyes open and shoved her hoof in the hilt. There was a clicking sound, and Apple Jack felt something surround her hoof. She slowly pulled it out and put it in front of her face. The blade had a dull colour to it, but by just staring at it, she could tell that it was very sharp.

"Wow." Apple Jack was enthralled by the blade.

"I'm glad you like it Apple Jack." Twilight became serious. "But we need to hurry. Just put the blade back in the sheath, and it will release your hoof."

"Right." Apple Jack said while following Twilights "let's go!"

"You two stay here," Twilight said to Rarity and Pinkie Pie, "just in case Rainbow comes back."

"We shall." Rarity said, regaining some of her strength.

"Let’s do this!" Twilight said as her and Apple Jack ran out the door.

The dog was still there, barking as loud as ever.

"Oh shut up." Twilight said to the beast as she shot one of her magic bullets at it, knocking it back some meters and silencing it.

Following Rainbow Dash was fairly easy, all they had to do was follow the rainbow path she left behind. Twilight and Apple Jack were very cautious though, they knew that the beasts were stirring from the first one’s howl. Oddly however, they did didn't even see one let alone run into one.

"They must all be at the library." Twilight concluded.

"Ah hope Pinkie's all right." Apple Jack worried.

After about a half hour, the rainbow above them landed in front of the place which haunted Twilight: the Everfree forest.

"Not here, Rainbow Dash," Twilight wined "What are you thinking coming here..."

"What 'er we going to do Twilight?"

"I think we need to split up. It'll be dangerous, with them being all riled up, but we need to do this as quickly as possible." Twilight couldn't look at Apple Jack.

"I agree, let’s go." Apple Jack started running into the forest.

"WAIT!" Twilight yelled. "ONLY STAY FOR AN HOUR OR SO, THEN GET OUT!"

"'KAY!" Apple Jack yelled back.

"Hmp" Twilight grunted to herself amazed at Apple Jacks enthusiasm. "Better get going."

Twilight ran in a slightly different direction than Apple Jack, but unlike her, Twilight had an idea where Rainbow could be. It wasn't too far into the forest, about a fifteen minute run. Twilight arrived to a clearing in the forest, all there was, besides grass was an old fallen tree, she looked around and saw nothing; she hung her head in failure. "Damn, she's not here." She said. Twilight was about to walk away when her ear picked up something faint, "Crying?" She said. "Rainbow Dash are you here?"

"GO AWAY!" The voice came from behind the log.

"Rainbow Dash!" She happily yelled out. "You are here! Come on, we need to get out of here!"

"I SAID GO AWAY!" Rainbow's voice was clearly distraught.

Twilight paused for a moment unsure what to do, then slowly walked around the log and to her sobbing friend.

"Are you ok Rainbow?" Twilight asked. "What's wrong? You know you can talk to me." Twilight put her hoof of Rainbow Dashes shoulder.

"NO!" Rainbow Dash jumped into the air and floated out of Twilight reach. "DON'T TOUCH ME, YOU MURDERER!" Rainbow was giving Twilight a death stare.

"Murderer? What are you talking about?" Twilight asked, confused. "I never killed anypony."

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?" Rainbow Dash screamed. "YOU KILLED FLUTTERSHY!"

"Fluttershy? I didn't kill Fluttershy, Rainbow, those dogs did." Twilight started to back off.

"AND THAT'S YOUR FAULT!" Rainbow was in a rage now. "YOU SHOULD HAVE PROTECTED HER BETTER! IF I WAS THERE I WOULD HAVE MADE SURE FLUTTERSHY GOT AWAY BEFORE I RAN, BUT YOU AND YOUR SELFISHNESS, YOU HAD TO RUN AWAY WITH HER, YOU KNOW FLUTTERSHY IS WEAK, YOU KNOW SHE'S SLOW, YOU KNOW SHE'S SCARED OF EVERYTHING!” She kept pushing Twilight back.

"I... I." Twilight started to tear up. "I didn't"

"DIDN'T WHAT TWILIGHT? DIDN'T KNOW? DIDN'T REMEMBER? DIDN'T THINK OF IT!? HEH" Rainbow chuckled. "THAT WOULD BE A FIRST!

Twilight was crying now. "I didn't think it was possible."

Rainbow threw her arm up in a rage. "OF COURSE ITS POSSIBLE, THIS IS LIFE, LIFE CAN DIE." She got face to face with Twilight. "AND YOU LET IT HAPPEN!" She turned her back to Twilight. "If I was there, I would’ve protected her!"

After Rainbow Dash said that last line, Twilight noticed something happening to Rainbow Dash. She seemed to weaken, her wing flaps slowed down.

"I... I couldn't protect her." She said weakly. "I couldn't protect her or anypony." Rainbow Dash collapsed to the ground and started bawling. "I couldn't do anything to save them, not Fluttershy, not Apple Jack, not Rarity... I couldn't do a thing. I even ran away from the situation, I can't protect anyone... I'm so weak.

When Rainbow Dash said that, Twilight realized what was wrong, she couldn't believe it, probably the strongest pony out of all of them was calling herself weak, and it wasn't just a thought in her head either, she truly believed that she was the weakest pony ever.

"If your weak Rainbow Dash" Twilight said calmly. "Then I must be an ant or something."

"What are you going on about now?" Rainbow Dash said annoyed.

"Well, for starters, you are not weak, if that is how you were thinking this entire time, then the fact that you could control yourself when I even looked at you is amazing." Twilight said. "You even apologized to me, even though you were having those thoughts."

Rainbow Dash's crying slowed a little bit.

"And how you could go on a mission in your state of mind, or how you actually accepted my ordering you into the barrier." Twilight had a smile on her face now.

Rainbow Dash looked at Twilight, her crying was now just sobs again.

"You are not weak, Rainbow Dash. I'm honestly jealous of your strength. It’s amazing really." Twilight was showing a cocky smile now, like if somepony was showing off a new item of theirs.

Rainbow Dash looked away from Twilight. "You don't mean that, you can't mean that. I just exploded at you, you should hate me right now, the fact that you’re still trying is beyond me."

"I don't hate you Rainbow Dash, I can't hate you." She corrected. "This spot here proves it, don't you remember that time?"

"...Yeah." Rainbow Dash simply said as she went into her memories.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading, time for shout outs! =D

Thank you to: AceSparkleGirl, scbb92, Thespurgin, Lordofdarkflames, clubbzz, Lazlo, abilene1, psycho pony guy, and BlizzardRainbow for favouriting this!

Special thanks to: AetherToast, and Lazlo for watching me!

And Special Special thanks to: SpikeThePony of the site Funny Junk for proof-reading this chapter!

It really means a lot to me, and it really encourages me to continue writing. Also thanks to anyone who even gave this a read!