• ...
2
 67
 2,153

Little Canterlot

Spike turned and faced Mr. Gemstone. The unicorn’s jaw had dropped and he was looking at Spike with an expression of fear and concern mixed with curiosity.

“Sp…Sp…Spike!” he stuttered. “What on Equis happened to yah?”

“Oh this?” asked Spike examining his downsized body. “This is only temporary, I got Twilight to do it so I can slow dance with Rarity.”

“Slow dance huh?” asked Mr. Gemstone pensively as he eyed Spike while stroking his thick brown mustache. “Hmmmmm. I don’t know.”

“Well if you don’t want us to dance that’s quite all right Sir. I mean if you….” Spike was cut off by Mr. Gemstone laughing and putting his hoof firmly on his shoulder.

“I’m messing with you boy!” he laughed as he ushered Spike inside the boutique.

The boutique looked like it always did, white walls, tan mannequins on metal rods stood throughout. In the center of the show room was a large, raised pedestal that Rarity used for modeling. Large racks of clothing were scattered throughout.

Each of the mannequins was dressed; some had dresses others tuxedos, other jewelry. Each and every article of clothing being worn by the mannequins was completely and totally unique. Somewhere frilly and elaborate with bright colors and feathers, others were simple and plain with dull colors.

“Sorry about the mess, but Rarity doesn’t clean the place up much; except when there’s a high profile client coming around.” Mr. Gemstone explained.

“Trust me, after dating her for six years I’m used to it.” laughed Spike.

“That’s good it means that you will be able to ignore it when you get married.” laughed the other.

“Ignore WHAT?” said a familiar voice from the stairs.

Spike turned to see Rarity standing at the bottom of the old wooden stairs. Her mane was unchanged, however, everything else was. Her makeup made her look even paler than usual, as white as snow; she had on an ankle length sapphire blue dress with. It was covered with actual sapphires that shimmered and glittered in the light; they were arranged in the pattern of different constellations so that they appeared as crystalline stars in a brilliant blue sky. She had on dark blue lipstick that served to bring out the beauty in her beautiful glistening blue eyes.

“Spike?” she gasped striding towards the dragon with a fearful look on her princess-like face. “What happened?”

“Oh nothing much.” said Spike in a perfectly normal tone as he embraced his love. “Twilight just downsized me so we could dance properly tonight.” he said romantically as he placed her corsage gently on her delicate hoof and gazed into her eyes.

As the couple stared into each other’s eyes holding each other’s hands Mr. Gemstone began to fidget. The couple took no notice of him; they were too focused on the love in their eyes. Flames were flickering in the emerald and sapphire orbs as they met each other with mutual affection.

“Um. Yes, well.” grunted Mr. Gemstone nervously. “You two have a good night. Rarity I’ll wait up for you.” he finished as he walked away slowly.

“Yes Father.” sighed Rarity affectionately, not so much as glancing away from Spike’s gaze. She paid no attention as her father went back up the stairs to the bedrooms.

“Well, My Lady, shall we go?” asked Spike romantically as he bowed and motioned toward the door. Rarity giggled, stood on two legs and curtsied.

“I would be delighted.” she said, faking a Hoovish accent.

“Well then” said Spike as he once again took her by the hoof (she was now back down on all fours) “let’s be off.”

Spike opened the door and held it open for Rarity and the two stepped out into the crisp night air. Spike closed the door behind him with a metallic click. He took her hoof and the pair walked off together down the streets under a ceiling of a million stars. Spike gazed at them in wonder, their sapphire colored light reflecting off of his emerald eyes. The town was so peaceful, crickets chirped, an owl hooted somewhere in the distance, not one other pony was out, everything was bliss. He could not rap his mind around the fact that somewhere ponies were fighting and dying vicious, brutal deaths to defend this tranquility.

Spike and Rarity walked in silence for what seemed like forever. Only the creatures of the night broke through the darkness that surrounded the couple. They passed through the town square. It usually had at least two ponies there but tonight there was nothing save for the moths that danced like fairies in front of the golden light of the lampposts. The fountain made a blissful trickling sound, like that of a mountain stream. Its water glittered like silver in the starlight.

“So?” asked Rarity, finally breaking the silence between them. “Where exactly are we going my dear?”

“It’s a surprise.” Spike said smiling at her.

“I like surprises.” whispered Rarity, leaning her head into Spikes scaly shoulder, her purple mane felt at soft as a cloud.

“I know you do.” said Spike happily. “That’s why I planned this.”

They rounded a corner and came to the ritzier part of Ponyville. The street sign said, “Little Canterlot St.” This was where all of the uppity-ups in Ponyville lived and worked. It was known for its fabulous topiary, fancy stores, and VERY high prices.

“Spike?” asked Rarity in a confused tone, she looked at him with a perplexed expression on her visage. “I THOUGHT you said we were going to go and eat.”

“We are.” he laughed.

“But this is Little Canterlot.” said Rarity thoughtfully, stopping dead in her tracks. “The only restaurant down here is…..you didn’t.” said Rarity looking into Spikes bright eyes.

“I did.” said Spike proudly.

“You got us reservations at The Toast of Canterlot?” gasped Rarity in disbelief.

“I did.” said Spike, almost laughing, he had guessed that Rarity would not believe if he told her, he also knew she would not believe it when she realized where he was taking her.

“But…But…But SPIKE!” she stuttered. “It is a FIVE STAR restaurant! And even though I have always dreamed of dining there, the glamour, the sophistication, the music, the most wonderful food in town.” she said beginning to get off track. “You cannot afford this.”

“No I can’t but money isn’t an issue.” he said beaming at her.

“Spike.” Rarity said in a commanding tone. “I simply will not allow you to charge this! You know how I feel credit cards.”

“I won’t have to charge.” said Spike with a devious smile.

“Well then HOW are you going to pay for our meal?” asked Rarity raising an eyebrow.

“Remember that time when the owner’s son fell into a gem mine and I got him out?” asked Spike and Rarity nodded.
“Well he told me that if I ever needed a favor to come to him.”

“But Spike.” began Rarity with a perplexed look on her beautiful face. “You have never collected on favors before.”

“I know.” said Spike avoiding her gaze, he wished he could just tell her what he intended to do but he couldn’t. She was hurting him and didn’t know it. “But I figured I would make an exception and collect on one. Make tonight special ya know?”

“Awww. You are absolutely the sweetest colt ever.” said Rarity as she laid her head and silky purple mane on Spike’s shoulder.

They continued down the brightly lit street towards their intended destination. They past by many colorful buildings, all of them different sizes and shapes. Some had fancy names like La Madeline. Many of the buildings had fancy topiary in front of them in the shape of cubes, ponies, birds, and even the princesses. A few had fountains in front of them; the water glittered in the light of the street lights and stars. Spike felt as though he had actually been teleported to Canterlot.

“I wonder where everypony is?” asked Rarity. “The streets are normally crowded at this hour. Is there some important event we do not know of? Oh dear goodness! You don’t suppose the town has been evacuated do you?” she exclaimed squeezing Spike’s arm with her hoof and pressing as physically possible to the young dragon.

“I don’t think so.” said Spike calmly as her caressed Rarity’s mane in a reassuring manner. “There would be soldiers and I don’t think we could have missed the noise of hundreds of frantic ponies leaving the town.”

“I suppose you are right.” said Rarity as she lessened her grip on Spike’s arm and giving him a little space but not much. “But where do you think everypony could have gotten off to?” she asked.

“Beats me.” answered Spike. That was a flat lie. He had asked the Mayor to inform everypony except Rarity and her immediate family to remain inside for the evening; that way word wouldn’t get to Rarity about Spike’s plans. The mayor hold told them it was a curfew because of the war. In reality it was Spike collecting on yet another favor, he wanted them to be alone the entire night except for the ponies that would be working the events that Spike has scheduled for the evening.

They walked down another two blocks in silence; content to just be in each other’s presence. They then arrived at their destination. It was a two story building with white walls and a rose colored roof that slopped downward towards the street. It had wooden shudders on either side of its four windows. The door was also rose colored. The second story had a balcony with white railing. The railing was decorated with some form of flowering ivy. The flowers had creamy yellow petals shaped like hearts. Zecora had brought them over from her native land. The balcony was supported by two columns, on which floral molding could be seen. It was quite the sight to behold.

The couple stepped to the door underneath the cover of the balcony. To the right of the door stood a young brown colt, with a neatly combed black mane, dressed in a brilliant scarlet dress shirt. He wore a black tie and a red hat. He opened the door for them to enter and Spike handed him five bits. He smiled warmly and bowed slightly as the couple entered the building.

The inside was even more impressive than the outside. It was dimly lit by chandeliers of solid crystal that cast tiny points of rainbow colored light all over the white walls. Shapes of beats, birds, and plants were molded onto the ceiling. The cold floors were made of multicolored granite that was polished so that one could see their reflection when they looked down. There was classical music coming from somewhere within the restaurant. Spike sniffed the air and the alluring aroma of authentic French sauces, about twelve different types of cheese, freshly baked bread, and freshly squeezed grape juice hit Spike’s nostrils and he sighed with anticipation. Rarity smelled it too and also took a rather deep, yet very lady like, inhale; soft and almost inaudible.

There was an oaken podium in front of the couple and behind it stood a powder blue pegasus stallion with well-groomed jet black hair and mustache. He wore a white suite and red tie. He had a rather stoic air about him. Spike could tell that he was probably from Canterlot and had no respect for those not of royal or upper class blood. He had no idea why Rarity liked to hang around them so much, not even the princesses liked them.

“Monsieur Spike?” he asked in a very thick French accent. Spike did not like the way he looked upon him. It was a look of utter distaste, but at any rate he could not do anything about it so he simply brushed off the pegasus’s cruel gaze.

“Yes.” Spike said sarcastically rolling his eyes; he was the only one to be permitted in here tonight. Why did this guy even need to ask?

“Come, this way monsieur.” said the pegasus as he led the couple down a narrow hallway and into a large open room.

The chamber had a tall domed ceiling with a chandelier of solid, clear crystal hanging from its lofty peak. Like the rest of the restaurant the floors were solid granite and the walls a brilliant white. In the center was a massive marble fountain. Rising from the rippling water was a statue of a great unicorn stallion standing on a large stone, the light cast a golden glow on his stern features. His face was hard and cold; his stone eyes seemed to pierce ones heart with both fear and admiration. His long, messy mane fell about his broad shoulders like waves on the sea shore; in his right hoof he held a great spear. His horn was broken and he had scars in several places as though he had just come from the heat of battle. About the fountain were placed tables of pure glass that twinkled and glittered in the dim, yet radiant, light. Spike and Rarity were both taken back in awe at the sight.

“If you are done musing over the décor I can show you to your seat.” the pegasus said in a rather irritable manner.

“Oh yes of course.” said Spike snapping out of his thoughts. “Lead the way.”

The waiter showed them to a seat for two that was directly in front of the giant fountain. There was a candle and crimson rose in the center, the tablecloth seemed to be made of pure silk that was a delicate white.

“This is your table monsieur.” announced the waiter motioning to the delicate glass structure.

“Thank you sir.” said Spike politely, despite the waiter’s apparent attitude.

“I will be back shortly.” said the waiter as he left the room.

Spike pulled out the chair for Rarity and she sat down. Surprisingly Spike found that even the chairs themselves were made of a very strong glass. Spike seated himself across from the snow white mare. Their eyes met and they blushed. They sat just staring into each other’s loving eyes; content to just be in each other’s presence.

“The décor is nice isn’t it?” asked Spike, finally breaking the silence.

“NICE!?” gasped Rarity putting her hoof over her heart. “Darling this décor is most spectacular!” she exclaimed. “Thank you so much for treating me to this.” she whispered softly lowering her head slightly.

“My pleasure.” said Spike with a grin on his face.

The waiter one again entered the room carrying two glasses of water of a silver tray. “Here is your water monsieur.” he said as he set the glasses down before Spike and Rarity. The crystal glasses made a slight clinking sound as they touched down on the table. “What kind of grape juice would you like? I’m sorry that wine was outlawed, otherwise we could get it for you.”

“It was alcohol in general wasn’t it?” asked Spike.

“Don’t remind me.” said the waiter. He seemed rather irritated by Spike’s statement.

“What do you mean my kinds of grape juice?” asked Rarity trying to move the conversation away from the direction it was currently heading. Spike was all for the alcohol ban and the last thing she wanted on her date was a political debate.

“Well madam” began the waiter who smiled longingly at the snow white unicorn. Spike clenched his fangs at this and suppressed a growl. “We have plain red or white. We have sparkeling red or white and we have le special grape cider.”

“Those all sound divine.” said Rarity thoughtfully glancing down trying to make up her mind as to which beverage she would like. “Spike which one do you want?” she asked.

“I honestly don’t care.” said Spike happily. “You can order whatever you want.”

“No you decide. Please.” pleaded Rarity putting her silky hoof on Spike’s hand and looking at him with big sapphire puppy dog eyes.

“Uh.” Sighed Spike glancing down at the delicate snow colored hoof placed upon his scaly purple hand. He knew when he was defeated; there is no arguing with love. “I’ll go with the sparkling red.” he announced nervously to the waiter.

“Very well. Here are your menus I will be back shortly with your beverages.” said the waiter, once again glancing at Rarity with a lustful glint in his eye. He shuffled off shaking his head and muttering angrily to himself in French. Spike thought he was probably wondering how the hay Spike landed a catch like Rarity. Spike had no clue, he was just VERY lucky as far as he was concerned.

“Are you ready to start enjoying our evening?” asked Spike as he gazed into the unicorns radiant sapphire eyes.

“I already was.” she sighed and gazed into his shining emerald eyes, content just to be in his intoxicating presence.



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




I had originally planned to make this chapter longer but instead decided to cut it more or less in half. The next chapter will be very romantic. Plenty of Sparity. Stay tuned for the next chapter. “Dancing in the Starlight.”

Comments ( 20 )

"Somewhere frilly and elaborate with bright colors and feathers, others were simple and plain with dull colors."

Shouldn't that be:
Some were frilly and elaborate with bright colors and feathers, others were simple and plain with dull colors.

i like this :3

come on people show it some love

1325628HURRY HURRY HURRY! Hurry and get the next chapter done:twilightoops:

1336880

it's senior year dude:yay: but that also means i'm super busy and can only really work on it on weekends:twilightangry2: dumb english projects im going to go:pinkiecrazy:

1339162

I was toying with that idea actually:trixieshiftleft::trixieshiftright::trixieshiftleft::trixieshiftright: Eh why not I won't kill SPIKE:scootangel:

1339249YAY!:pinkiehappy: cuz if you kill spike and ruin Rarity, then I WILL KILL YOU:flutterrage:

Sorry was I being to harsh?:twilightsheepish:

1339288

nnnnnnnope:eeyup: but it has a tragedy label so SOMEPONY will die!:yay:

1339479
ah ah ah (wags finger) no spoilers:trollestia:

1339519 I can honestly say if spike or rarity do die!
My friend church here will do worseto you than a "SONIC NUCLEAR RAIN FUS-ROH-DAH" And that is saying it mildly.
I hope to see more awsome chapters good sir!:rainbowdetermined2:

Okay, fine. I'll finally thumb you up for this, but watch your grammar. You've made some pretty glaring ones.

Luckily it didn't detract from the story.

1925140
thanks:pinkiesmile: next chapter out sometime next month

Rarity & Spike lived a long love filled life, He fathered 17 offspring some with his lady Rarity...

Twilight ended the war after building a weapon of mare distruction rendering the use of Armys obsolete.

The main side effect was the story died along with the Monitors...

the end

Login or register to comment