• ...
2
 67
 2,152

Proposal

Spike and Rarity sat under a tree in the cool, damp grass. Spike had his arms around Rarity, her warm white fur practically glowing in the moon light. She looked up at him with her luminous eyes. His eyes met hers and he smiled.

It had been six years since they decided to be together, back when he was twelve and she was sixteen. He was now nineteen and she twenty four. He thought of the fond memories that they had shared. He had been smaller then, he had to look up to her, now she was looking up to him, he was just as tall as Celestia.

“Comfy My Lady?” he asked affectionately.

“Simply wonderful.” she said with a voice that reminded Spike of the smooth surface of a perfect gem. She broke the gaze and starred up at the night sky. Rarity hunkered down into Spikes warm embrace as they waited for the meteor shower to begin.

On a small knoll about fifty feet away sat another couple. It was Big Macintosh and Fluttershy; they had been together for about a month and were also on a date to watch the meteor shower. They sat curled up next to each other in the dew covered grass; helping to keep each other warm in the cool night air.

“Should start any minute now.” said Fluttershy softly. She was much more talkative around Big Mac because he was as shy as she was; he just chose not to show it.

“Eeyup.” he said plainly, looking up at the star laden sky. They turned to each other and blushed. It was their secret code for, “I love you.”

Back under the tree Spike and Rarity were talking about what to do afterwards. Rarity suggested that they go to Sugercube Corner and get some moon pies. Pinkie Pie only made them for meteor showers. Spike jumped at the suggestion; Pinkie Pie’s moon pies are wonderful.

Suddenly their conversation was interrupted by the first meteor streaking across the sky. It was soon joined by dozens more, flying, zipping, and glittering across the vast expanse of the night sky.

"Meteors showers always remind me of diamonds.” said Rarity in a dreamful state as she watched the great shimmering balls of light soar across the sky.

“Yeah. I wonder what they taste like?” asked Spike hungrily.

“Do you always think of eating gems?” giggled Rarity.

“No, but you’re the one that brought up the similarity.” said Spike. Rarity smiled. The meteor shower was nearing its most intense. Spike had to act now.

“Rarity.” he said breaking their embrace as he kneeled in front of her.

“Spike, what’s wrong?” asked Rarity worriedly, she didn’t know what was happening.

“Rarity, could you stand up please?” asked Spike nervously, blushing profusely. As she did so he took her right hoof. The worry faded off of her face and was replaced with an expression of pure joy as she caught on.

“Rarity. Ever since I met you I have dreamed of this moment.” tears began to fill the unicorn’s joyful eyes. “I’ve dreamed of holding you close, keeping you safe, being your shoulder to cry on, being your caring husband. Rarity, will you marry me?” asked Spike as he slipped a golden hoof band with an enormous diamond delicately onto his loves hoof. His hand shook with the nervousness.

“OF COURSE I WILL!” Rarity practically screamed as she tackled Spike and kissed him on the cheek. She was crying tears of joy. Spike returned her embrace, holding her in his big, scaly arms.

“Oh, Spike.” she gasped releasing Spike and looking at her wedding band. “Where ever did you get such an absolute master piece?”

“I made it myself.” said Spike humbly.

“Spike, it’s…it’s…it’s…magnificent.” gasped Rarity, still not over the shock of the proposal.

“Thanks. It took me two years to grow that diamond.”

“Oh Spike.” she gasped. She couldn’t think of anything else to say.

Suddenly all of their friends jumped out from behind the tree and shouted,“CONGRATULATIONS!” Spike and Rarity jumped and whipped around to see them standing there.

“You did good Spike.” said Twilight winking and smiling proudly at Spike. He blushed.

“Congratulations Rarity, Spike.” said Applejack, her emerald eyes luminescing in the pale white light.

“It’s about time. Congratulations guys.” laughed Rainbow Dash as she landed softly next to Applejack. Spike glared at Rainbow for her comment but she didn’t notice.

“Oh, Rarity. I’m so happy for you.” commented Fluttershy softly. The couple was still too shocked by the surprise congratulations to say anything.

“I’M SUPER EXCITED! WHENS THE WEDDING? CAN I PLAN THE RECEPTION?” asked Pinkie Pie as she bounced around the group excitedly.

“Th…th… thank you all.” Rarity managed to say through the utter shock of the moment.

“Yeah thanks.” said Spike lowering his head. They were both blushing.

“But, um. If you don’t mind we would like to be left alone for a while.” said Spike sincerely raising his bright green eyes to his friends.

“Oh, of course.” said Twilight thoughtfully. “Come on everypony let’s give them their space. See you at home Spike.” she smiled proudly at Spike and trotted off.

“See you guys.” said Rainbow and the cyan Pegasus flew up into the night sky.

“Good night everypony.” whispered Fluttershy as she headed for home.

“Good night y’all.” grunted Applejack.

“But we just got here.” inserted Pinkie Pie who could not understand why Spike and Rarity didn’t want to celebrate their engagement right then and there.

“Come along now Pinkie. Give ‘em their space.” ordered Applejack as she dragged the stumped pink mare away by her large, poofy tail. Spike and Rarity giggled. That was so much like Pinkie.

The couple stared back up at the sky. The meteor shower was over. They went to Sugercube Corner and had some moon pies then Spike escorted Rarity home and then he went home to his bed to get some much needed rest.