• ...
2
 67
 2,152

Vist to Zecora

It had been almost two weeks since Spike had been denied his wish to fight for the ones that he loved. He felt as though they had trampled upon his sacred rights. He was on his way to Zecora’s house. She was wise and well-traveled; perhaps she could tell him what was best to do. Stay in Ponyville, or fight for his country and friends? The unanswered question burned in his mind.

As Spike walked through the dense forest he had time to think. He thought about Rarity. She would kill him if he went and fought…if he survived that is. He thought that it might break her heart if he left without telling her to fight for Celestia knows how long, perhaps even getting killed. He also thought about the horror of those reptilian invaders coming in and…he threw that image out of his head. He would stop that from happening at all costs.

He also thought about Princess Celestia, how she had embarrassed him, how she had trampled upon his rights. He still respected her. He had never disobeyed a direct order before. However, he knew that she was wrong about this. He knew that she loved him and didn’t want him to be harmed as much as Twilight, Rarity, or any of the others but he had to protect his loved ones and Equestria.

He also thought long and hard about the morals of disobeying his rulers and adopted mother. Twilight had taught him the importance of obedience since the day he was hatched. Would it be morally right to go against them?

And what were the morals behind killing another sentient creature? Could he even bring himself to kill another intelligent being? He shook his head violently and discarded these thoughts.

He thought back to only two days after Celestia and Luna had left to prepare their troops. Las Pegasus had been completely destroyed. Towns like Canterlot, Cloudsdale, and Ponyville were overrun with refugees. They all told horrible stories of loved ones slaughtered mercilessly before their very eyes. Some of them were even eaten. Spike shuddered at the thought.

He also recollected the events of three day ago. They had all been at Sweet Apple Acres for a picnic when a pair of stone faced guards showed up and told the children to go inside. He thought about how Applebloom and Sweetiebelle had protested when the soldiers told them it was a big pony matter. He remembered how Fluttershy had taken them inside while he and the rest talked to the soldiers. He remembered the horrible news; Appleloosa had been burned to the ground with no survivors. He thought about Applejack’s tears and Grannysmith’s unbelief and Big Macintosh’s solemn silence. Spike could not help but to shed tears when he thought about how his friends, Braeburn, Chief Thunderhooves, Sheriff Silverstar, and the rest of the town’s people were all gone, never to return from the cold grip of death. He decided that he could, in fact, kill the Archenlanders. He could kill them all!

As he battled with his conscience, he nearly passed up Zecora’s hut. It was small and wooden with few windows, those it did have had banana leaves for curtains. The single door was made of bamboo. He approached and entered without knocking. Zecora was standing over a bubbling cauldron of green liquid stirring it gently with a large wooden spoon. It smelled earthy and steamed profusely as she continued to disturb it with the spoon. It was probably a medicine of some kind. Ever since Twilight had helped to dispel the rumors that Zecora was a witch, she had become the best natural medicine maker in Ponyville. She supplied salves, teas, soups, and other herbal remedies of all kinds. This was apparent by the sacks and jars of leaves, roots, flowers, liquids, and other such things that hung from the ceiling, were placed upon shelves, or in the many clay pots that lay on the ground in the corners of the room or where ever else Zecora could find a place to store them.

Spike was growing impatient. Surely she knew he was there? The zebra continued to stir her brew. Her golden leg bands making rhythmic clinking sounds as she did so. She was singing softly in her native language. It became apparent to Spike that she did not know that he was present.

He cleared his throat. “Um…Zecora?” he asked.

“Oh Spike, what a pleasant surprise. My, you have grown right before my eyes.” she said cheerfully in her usual rhyming couplets.

“Zecora, I need to talk to you about something.” Spike said bluntly, cutting right to the chase.

She put on an expression that was a mix between curiosity and concern. “Sit down my little Spike and tell Zecora of your plight.” she motioned to a bamboo chair. It was much too small for him, so he sat on the floor near it, curling his massive tail around himself. She stood over her pot and added a few dashes of some kind of sparkly blue powder which only intensified the boiling.

“Zecora” he began with a sigh. “Is it right for a person to go off to war if it would be disobeying a direct order?” He looked at her squarely in the eyes as he twiddled his massive, purple claws nervously.

She dropped her spoon and looked him in the eye. “Spike, listen to me clearly, for I love you dearly. War made with haste is a disgrace but go to war with a pure heart and you and your loved ones shall not be forced to part.” she warned him.

“I’m going to protect Twilight and Rarity and you and Equestria. I’m not going just to fight.” he said defensively giving her a piercing gaze with his huge emerald eyes.

“Your heart is pure, you shall endure.” said Zecora happily. “Just promise Zecora you will keep yourself safe.” she said, talking normally for once, as she hugged him warmly around the neck with her own.

They broke the hug after about fifteen seconds.

“Thank you.” he said warmly, standing and moving towards the door.

“Zecora” began Spike as he put his hand on the door handle. “I trust that this is confidential. Please don’t tell Twilight or anypony else unless they ask you directly.” he pleaded as he twisted the flimsy doorknob.

“I shall be honest. You have my promise.” he smiled at him as he exited and shut the door behind him with a quite click.

Spike smiled. He knew he was right in his decision to go and Zecora had just confirmed it. His smile turned to frown when he realized that this might be the last time he would ever see Zecora. But in his heart of hearts, he knew what to do. He would leave tomorrow. He would spend his last day with his friends and leave tomorrow night under cover of darkness, leaving a letter explaining where he had gone and why. Spike headed for home to spend one last day with his family.