• Published 13th Jul 2015
  • 9,696 Views, 1,967 Comments

Founders of Alexandria - Starscribe



Four months after the end of human civilization, six ponies come together to rebuild. They learn that the apocalypse has not made friendship any easier.

  • ...
45
 1,967
 9,696

PreviousChapters Next
Part 1 (Adrian) - Chapter 3

“That wasn’t so bad, was it?” Alex called back, grinning too broadly. “Under five hours! We’re making better and better time every time we come down here!” She parked the car the same place they always did, in front of a fancy bank building that became their city headquarters whenever they visited St. Louis.

The ponies in the backseat, Adrian included, groaned loudly, and stumbled over each other to get to the outside. There were four of them in the back of the tiny sedan, and while it wasn’t nearly as cramped as it would’ve been with humans, it still wasn’t pleasant.

“Don’t wander off!” Alex hopped out, the only one without wobbly legs. Earth ponies and their magical endurance! She moved past Adrian to the trunk, popping it with a twist of her mouth and the key. It wasn’t very full: a locked rolling cooler and a single hard-plastic crate. “Joseph, could you-” The unicorn complied, levitating the box onto the sidewalk and popping it open. Six weapons waited inside, along with six custom-made tactical saddle-bags.

The creation had been Sky’s idea, and even Adrian had been impressed at the time. A fusion of saddlebags and the tactical vests worn by human militaries before the Event, the thick black fabric gave immediate access with dozens of little pockets.

“Moriah, did you check the radio batteries before we left?”

The mare glared, even as she continued shaking out her hooves. “Yes. They’re all fully charged.”

Alex nodded, though she didn’t look the least-bit intimidated by the unicorn’s anger. The stories of what Moriah’s magic had done absolutely terrified Adrian. If he was on the wrong end of a broken horn, he was damn sure he’d be finding something thick to hide behind.

“And Oliver, the guns are loaded?”

He didn’t look upset. Adrian wasn’t either, no matter if Moriah and Joseph might find this ritual boring. He’d much rather learn by the car that they weren’t prepared than right before being run down by a pack of wild animals or something. In some ways he was very like Moriah. Neither of them had much control over the magic being a pony had given them.

“Absolutely. Two full clips in each vest, one in each rifle.”

“Remember, they’re a-”

“-last resort!” everypony else supplied, loud and monotone.

Alex smiled slightly. “Glad you all remember.” She slid into her saddlebags with casual dexterity, zipping herself with a tug. Each of them followed, though the worst part by far was that all the noise was enough to activate the radios, broadcasting painful feedback from the vests. Adrian tugged his own well away from the group before slipping it on.

He had enough dexterity to get to the zipper himself these days, but he didn’t try. “Cloudy, can you…” She did, and they both smiled.

When they were all done, Lonely Day went back to being boring. “Alright everypony, let’s review. Today’s teams are Adrian and I, Joseph and Cloudy, and Moriah and Oliver. Stay within sight and sound of each other at all times.” She tossed her rifle onto her back, catching it by the strap. “What are we all doing?”

“Packing solar panels. Foam between each panel, wrap each bundle of eight. Don’t stack more than two bundles,” Cloudy recited, fighting not to sound bored. “We keep going until we run out of panels to stack.” Neither her nor Joseph had removed their guns, probably because they were going to be driving the car to the solar distributor on the other end of town. Well, Cloudy would be driving. Joseph couldn’t drive.

Alex nodded, directing her attention to Moriah and Oliver. “We’re picking out trailers or RVs. The biggest, nicest ones we can find. Then we’re looting every movie worth watching from the public library and every best buy in walking distance. After that, we’re on camping stores again.”

Moriah took a step towards the only other vehicle in the parking lot, a converted moving van they kept in town for every trip. “Can we go now?”

“Yeah.” Alex sighed, slumping a little as she dragged the cooler out of the back of the car on raw strength. It was almost pitiful to watch, except that somehow she managed not to drop it. “Go ahead. Adrian and I will convert the vehicles, as usual. Good luck, everypony. If you’re in trouble, say something. If you see evidence of ponies here, say something.”

They dispersed. Alex took the cooler, dragging it by the handle in her mouth towards the door of the bank.

“Be safe,” Cloudy whispered, hugging Adrian briefly as she passed him. It was the same hug she gave all her friends, but Adrian still thought it was nice.

“You too.”

She grinned. “I can fly, Adrian. I’ll be safe.” She flared her wings for emphasis, angling them back as though she were pulling into some aerodynamic dive. It was one of the sexiest things she’d ever done, and Adrian didn’t even know why he thought so.

He only managed a “yeah” before she hopped in the car and drove off.

Alex dumped the cooler inside before hurrying back to him, with a pair of wrapped sandwiches in her mouth. She set them down on the sidewalk, offering him one. “The others are gonna remember they’re hungry and end up eating stale chips.”

Moriah and Joseph often complained that all Alex cared about was work. Adrian knew better, though. She had fun while she worked. Besides, Cloudy Skies had made the sandwiches, and that made them amazing.

Alex lowered her voice, speaking quietly enough that the radio wouldn’t pick it up. It wasn’t hard; you had to shout or make some other noise similarly loud for the microphone to pick it up. Otherwise, they’d all go completely insane hearing snatches of each others’ conversations. “So we’ve got until 7:45 before it’s dark.” She grinned. “Wanna completely waste time for an hour? It’ll be awesome!”

Adrian made sure to keep quiet himself, raising his eyebrows in gained skepticism. “Shouldn’t we be productive or something? The others are all going to work…”

Alex laughed, and he could see her visibly fighting to keep it from being too loud. “I think we both know how much of a lie that is. Five hours of driving? They’re going to relax.” She started walking backwards, towards the huge empty street. “Nopony else will appreciate this, c’mon! I’m sick of raising pedals and putting in hoof controls. Let’s do something different first.”

“Alright.” Adrian was pretty sure Alex was the least interested in companionship of the group, so he was pretty sure she wasn’t coming onto him. Couldn’t be positive until he saw what she had in mind, though. She had been the one to set up the work assignments. Had she set things up so they could be alone?

No, as it turned out. They hadn’t been wandering for more than a few minutes before they turned the corner on the most bizarre sight he’d ever seen. An old plane, suspended over the open air in what looked like a gigantic, unnatural jungle-gym. His eyes searched for the boundaries, and he could see it went right into the building. The building looked old, like some sort of converted factory, and like every building in town there was no trace of activity.

“You’ll need your headlamp.” She tugged hers out, adjusting it on her forehead with her hooves. She had to stop walking and bend down to do it, and Adrian was only sorta tempted to look.

He didn’t, instead imitating the gesture. He was faster. It was amazing what hooves could do with a few months of practice, particularly when you had a hard surface to use as leverage. “Okay. What is this place?”

She grinned, practically bouncing up and down. “It’s like… it’s the biggest playground ever.” She raced towards the door, galloping rapidly across the concrete so much that the gun jostled on her shoulder. It didn’t actually come off, though. She stopped at the locked door, then casually turned and bucked. Wood splintered, and the lock came tearing out. “I found it when I was researching the stuff we were going to come and pick up, but I wasn’t sure if it was really safe. I figured the hardiest ponies we have ought to be the ones to explore it first. Make sure it’s okay.”

Adrian stared. He almost couldn’t believe what he was seeing, and not just because it looked awesome even from outside. “There’s a school bus hanging off the roof.” He pointed with his hoof. “How was this place even legal?”

“I know, right!” She giggled, turning and racing inside.

Adrian found himself smiling in spite of himself. Maybe he was a little old for a playground. That didn’t mean he couldn’t have a little fun. Couldn’t let a little apocalypse ruin the rest of your life!

The lobby was cavernous, a mismatch of bright colored glass and junk. He sped up to catch up with Alex, as the flickers of her headlamp vanished into the bowels of the building. It wasn’t hard, particularly since she stopped after less than ten seconds.

He did too, ears swiveling to point deeper into the building. He heard it too, a child’s voice echoing from the deepest recesses of the building.

Crying.

PreviousChapters Next