• Published 13th Jul 2015
  • 9,694 Views, 1,967 Comments

Founders of Alexandria - Starscribe



Four months after the end of human civilization, six ponies come together to rebuild. They learn that the apocalypse has not made friendship any easier.

  • ...
45
 1,967
 9,694

PreviousChapters Next
Part 1 (Adrian) - Chapter 4

Distant tears came to Adrian like a knife in his soul. He had never taken responsibility for anyone before, never had a younger sibling or a nephew looking up to him. He’d never experienced pain like this in his life, not until that exact moment. Just as in New York, or earlier in Niagara, he knew a pony needed his help, and Hell itself couldn’t stand in his way.

He bounded past Alex, into the maze-like interior of the building. No, maze wasn’t strong enough. This building was a labyrinth. He took several sharp lefts, turned across a bridge, and suddenly he was in the depths of a simulated cave. Its ceiling, probably built for humans, was cavernous above him. Stairwells twisted strangely into the walls, becoming simulated rocks. Many of them were too steep to climb without fingers. Humans, after all, were primates.

He wasn’t anymore. He ignored Alex’s pleading voice, shouting over the radio that they’d found someone and for everyone to come to the old factory down the street from the outpost. He would let Alex deal with that; he would find the child.

He did not attempt to rationally consider how likely it was that a child might still be alive after all this time. The crying wasn’t very loud, and it was getting weaker. If he had to guess, he would’ve said the kid was probably crying herself to sleep. “Hello!” he shouted, as loudly as he could. “Is there anyone here?”

The cave wasn’t like others he had seen simulated in theme parks. Its edges were rough and strange, and rough concrete stuck out at strange angles, sometimes with bits of rebar visible underneath. One slid over his saddlebags as he passed, catching on the thin bandage he wore beneath to protect his wings. He didn’t even slow down, resulting in brief agony as it tore the bandage free. It began to trail behind him in strips, unraveling from his back as he ran.

Adrian stumbled through the darkness, clambering out onto a walkway, then abruptly sideways onto the floor of what seemed like an ordinary building, except that the banister had been made with numerous, colorful cylinders. Had this building been designed by Cthulhu or Dr. Seuss? Both?

“Hello?” The voice was feminine, and weak. Younger than Cloudy, younger than Alex. He couldn’t tell how much. There was a strange echo about it, no doubt caused by all the twisting hallways between him and the speaker. It was astounding he could hear it at all. But the building was cavernous and empty, with thick walls. Had that insulated him from the birds and wind outside? “Is… Is someone there?”

“Yes!” he called, pounding up another flight of stairs towards the voice, this time ending on a wooden landing branching into several hallways. He slowed then, realizing that his hooves pounding on the wood might frighten the little pony he had (maybe) discovered. He still walked fast, as fast as he could without making too much noise. He seemed to have completely lost Alex somewhere in the twisting corridors. He hoped she hadn’t gotten herself stuck in the cave somewhere. If she had, oh well. He could rescue her later.

“Keep talking, where are you?”

“In a room full’a old stuff.” Her answer was feeble, and clearly afraid. It still sounded strange, like she was speaking while sitting in a massage chair or something. “Glass cases on the wall.”

It wasn’t far away. As he drew nearer, Adrian began to smell the place. It didn’t just smell like someone had been living in unhealthy dirty conditions. Rather, it smelled as though someone had crawled into unhealthy living conditions and died. He turned again, past a gigantic hamster wheel set into the floor (because who didn’t want one of those?), and he could get a good look at the room the child’s voice had been coming from.

The first word to come to mind when he saw it was “nest.” Dozens of sleeping bags had all been piled together, each brightly colored and obviously child-sized.

Huge plastic crates had been dragged against one corner, and the worst of the smell seemed to be coming from inside. They were all filled with food, and by the smell of it most had gone completely rotten months ago. Thankfully the room also had windows, letting sunlight in. Even with the headlamp, pony night vision was pretty lousy.

“I’m here.” He stopped in the doorway, lifting the gun off his shoulders and setting it on the ground, on the other side of the doorway. No reason to frighten a child. “I know you’re scared. You’ve probably been alone a long time, right?” He couldn’t see her, though there were several lumpy bundles visible in the tangle of blankets and pillows and backpacks. “You don’t have to hide, please come out. I promise I’ll be nice.”

The blankets began to stir, and his eyes jumped to a half-illuminated form in the single corner of the room with any shadow, under a glass case filled with thousands of pinned insects.

For a few seconds, he imagined he was only seeing a mask, perhaps befitting what was apparently a bug exhibit. Then the mask moved, turning to face him with its bright yellow, catlike eyes.

Bile rose up in his stomach, his ears flattened, and his pulse briefly raced. It had fangs protruding from its lips, and a hard black carapace that sparkled in the sun from outside. It was like coming face to face with a disgusting alien bear. His legs twitched, and it took all his concentration to resist the desire to flee. Adrian hadn’t survived so many adventures because of a lack of respect for danger!

Then he saw the tears that streaked down the creature’s face, and the way its chest was rising rapidly with breaths nearly as frightened as his own. He saw transparent wings fluttering slightly in unrestrained anxiety. He saw the creature was mostly wrapped in a bright pink sleeping bag, holding a stuffed bear to its chest with a pair of legs riddled with holes.

In that moment, the revulsion warred with compassion in Adrian’s soul, and for a few seconds he felt both. I came to rescue her.

Compassion won. Adrian stepped into the room, ignoring the strange crunching under his hooves, ignoring the disquieting visage the strange child presented. With only a few seconds to fight back his animal fear, he reached the rational humanity beneath. No matter how this girl might look, she was very clearly a victim of the same spell that had struck everyone. He did not see the young monster, not really. He saw what she really was; a lonely, frightened little girl.

All the while she stared, in utter disbelief. His instincts had screamed that she would attack, pouncing and sucking the life out of him, but she did no such thing. She just stared.

He stopped just out of reach, resting his hooves on a pile of old pillows. This was evidently her sleeping corner. He extended a hoof, and it was no longer his disgust for her he had to fight. Rather, he bit back the anger with himself, the loathing that he had even considered running from a pony in need. “I’m Adrian.” He extended one of his forelegs to her. “What’s your name?”

“Riley.” The girl met his hoof with hers, and Adrian wasn’t even bothered that it yielded strangely at a touch. He was bothered by how thin she looked up close. “Are you going to hurt me? Are you going to run away?” She was crying again, though she managed to contain the sobs. She either didn’t notice, or didn’t care. “The last ones did. When I found them… shot at me…”

The closer he got, the less healthy she looked. It wasn’t just the holes in her legs either, though those couldn’t be good. Poor girl looked like she was starving up here. Had she been alone for months?

“No.” He got down, ignoring the stench to embrace the girl as tightly as he dared. “I won’t do any of those things, Riley. I don’t know what other ponies did, but you’re safe now.”

He felt her strange body tense, uncomfortable at first with so much physical contact. Had she been this close to another pony since the Event? Another pony who wasn’t shooting at her, anyway. After a few tense seconds, he felt feeble limbs curl around him. While she didn’t say anything, she did break into unrestrained sobs, holding him like she was the last desperate survivor of a shipwreck.

She was still like that when Alex finally found them, maybe twenty minutes later. “There you are, Adrian. You didn’t answer your radio! Did you find-” She went abruptly quiet. Adrian couldn’t see what she was doing, but he could guess it wouldn’t be good. “Are you okay? We’re all here, looking for you…”

Adrian chanced a glance over his shoulder, only to see that Lonely Day had rested one of her hooves on the edge of the rifle, though she looked as torn as Adrian himself had felt. He shook his head once. Was it just his imagination, or did he feel a little lightheaded?

Lonely Day set her rifle down, reluctantly. She advanced a few steps, scanning the room with rapid glances. No doubt she would be taking in all the minor details, piecing together some story the way she always did.

“This is the girl we heard.” He watched her visible effort to bite back the disgust and the fear.

Eventually she did, and to her credit she waited that long to approach. “How is she?”

He released her then, turning slightly and standing between the doorway and the insectoid equine. Where Alex had remained calm enough to understand what he had learned, Moriah might just shoot. Joseph almost certainly would shoot first, though for totally different reasons. “She’s been alone for too long,” he replied. “It does things to a person.”

“I remember.” The earth pony tried to smile again, and this time it was much more genuine. It was friendly, but it wasn’t love. “Hi there!” Her eyes twitched to the pile of mostly-rotten food, then to the strange black pony. The signs of malnutrition were obvious in her now, despite not being clearly mammalian. “We’ve got sandwiches in the cooler across the street. Salads, pasta. Probably tastes better than…” She twitched, swallowing. “Whatever that stuff is. Not rotten stuff.”

Riley sniffed at her, clinging to Adrian’s back. She spoke only quietly, her voice a warbling whisper. “Only if Adrian says it’s okay. I don’t wanna leave…”

She looked unperturbed. “Tell you what, then: I’ll just bring some.” She met his eyes again, and he nodded. No words were needed, words that might’ve frightened the strange pony if she heard them. Adrian found himself reminded why he had voted Alex for their leader as she hurried away, scooping her gun up by the strap as she left.

Riley recovered quickly, rising to her hooves and looking past him out the door.

Adrian could see her quite clearly now, as he never could’ve in the gloom. Her whole body was dark, formed of the intersection of dozens of pony-shaped parts. She had a horn on her forehead to compliment her wings, and shiny green armor growing along her back. She had a tail and a mane like any other pony, both of which were also faintly green. Somehow, their wispy shapes also managed to have holes like her legs. She was perhaps ten centimeters shorter than he was. Maybe he was hallucinating, but she didn’t look quite as starved as she had when he first saw her.

“Who was that?”

“Alex.”

The girl moved past him, through the piles of disordered junk that was her home. She seemed to be looking for something, though it was impossible for him to guess what that something might be. “She was angry with me, and scared.” The pony sat down, pulling out a backpack in her teeth and beginning to go through it. “When she saw you, she wasn’t anymore. Why?”

He couldn’t imagine how such an emotionally damaged little girl could be so perceptive, particularly after being around other “humans” for so short a period. He needed some sort of answer though. “She was worried about me. I helped her see that you were the one who needed help, not me.”

She pondered on that a moment. “There are more? More than you and her?”

“Yeah. Six of us. Seven if you count dogs, but there’s no room in the car.”

“Are they all as nice as you?”

He wasn’t going to lie about it. “No.” He didn’t leave it that way, wouldn’t risk frightening her off. “But Alex will talk to them.”

She rose, dragging the backpack behind her in her teeth. Only when she had reached him did she sit down, her naked body shivering. “I don’t want to be alone again.”

“You won’t be.” He smiled. “Promise.”

Author's Note:

Hey everypony! Hopefully you're all enjoying the sequel so far, with its new style. I know it's been a blast to write so far, even if switching perspectives every week is a little difficult for me. Thank you to all of you who take the time to comment; I do read and try to respond to as many as possible.

As usual, Zutcha continues to do fantastic art for this story, so my thanks go out to him for all the work he goes through to make sure you have the most rewarding reading experience possible. I've turned this and all future art pieces into links to their larger versions, in case you want to see them in their full size. I would!

PreviousChapters Next