• Published 13th Jul 2015
  • 9,695 Views, 1,967 Comments

Founders of Alexandria - Starscribe



Four months after the end of human civilization, six ponies come together to rebuild. They learn that the apocalypse has not made friendship any easier.

  • ...
45
 1,967
 9,695

PreviousChapters Next
Part 6 (Alex) - Chapter 1

Somewhere above, great birds circled on glacial winds. Eyes flickered like dead stars, all fixed on her. When their mouths opened, sounds that were not sounds glided down towards her. It was hunger, but not hunger as any mortal understood it. It was the ravenous sound the starving might make after going without food for thousands of years, knowing that they might not find it for thousands of years more.

She couldn’t say what she was; whether she was a pony or human or something in-between. Whatever she was, she stood tall in the dark, resplendent in a robe of pale silk written all over with runes. “Not yet!” Talons that had torn apart worlds bore down on her to rip and tear.

She might be without help, but she was not without defense. In her fifty thousand years, she had learned much about the universe. With friction she slowed the flight of the voidborn birds, and with gravity she was suddenly standing somewhere else. She filled the space between, but not with advanced alloys. Given this enemy, she chose iron, dredged from the blood of the earth and given form by fire.

The birds of hunger screeched in anger and frustration, hideous talons digging deep gashes into the barrier. “Your time is over, human! Your age is done. Let us in, and we will take your pain! It won’t hurt!”

She did not believe their lies. She was weak; much weaker than she should be. But buried somewhere in the earth was a single diamond of faith, a diamond that was her soul. Their faith in her had not wavered. Their faith was her.

So was their understanding. Rocketry was her chariot, and the CPNFG kept out the ravenous beaks. “Not today!” they said. “But soon. You are already dead! You just haven’t realized it! You belong to us!”

She banished them; ignoring the cackles and the angry calls. Perhaps they would come for her; not tonight.

She was not alone in the darkness. In her sleep, the dark thickened and congealed, stretching its many tentacles around her. “Archive.” Darkness wormed around her legs, wrapped around her eyes. Of course it was not true darkness. It was hatred.

“This planet is yours no longer. You will submit.”

“No!” Alex awoke in a pool of sweat, curled against all the pillows in her bunk.

She heard moaning from the bunk above her, and Mariah's voice. “Shut up.”

She did. Alex pulled out one of the many pairs of bicycle shorts that served as her underclothes these days. A quick glance at the screen set into the wall revealed it was three AM, so she didn’t bother with anything else. She slipped out the door, creeping past the stallion’s bay, then out into the head. After doing her business and a quick rinse with a warm towel, she felt a little better.

Not sleepy, though. She rarely felt sleepy anymore. Her strength came from the Earth. It wasn’t the kind of strength the earth had given her before, when she’d kicked down doors and broken concrete with her hooves.

Her role was not to have great strength, not anymore. What she needed was endurance, to carry forward the memory of humanity into the indefinite future.

Alex wandered into the cargo area, stopping by the armory. She lifted the hoof bearing the gauntlet, waving it in front of the security lock. The armor opened, sliding with the whir of servos and revealing the weapons the HPI had prepared for them.

Like all their small hardware, the hard polymer had a slightly layered look to it, like it had been 3D printed. It was a compact submachine gun, plastic except for a little metal rectangle in the back. The trigger guard was huge, wide enough for even an earth pony stallion to fit his hoof inside.

Half the weapon’s mass came from a spring-loaded bipod, which could be deployed to about a pony’s height with a single press if she needed it. Alex had been impressed that the HPI had managed to modify their own weapons for ponies after only a few months, with everything else they had been up to.

At the same time, she couldn’t help but feel serious concern that the HPI had thought there was going to be a need for them to have weapons specifically designed for pony use. Had they anticipated armed resistance? Wild animals? She didn’t ask now.

Instead, she slung the strap over her shoulder and slid down the ramp into the night. She could not see in the dark the way she had been able to before, though the full moon high above promised she would be able to see something once she gave her eyes time to adjust. So she relied on other senses. She stood in place long enough that she could feel the earth beneath her. She held still, slowing down her perceptions with an effort of will.

Beneath her, at a distance her mind could scarcely conceive, was the beating nickel heart of the planet. Her planet. She let the life fill her, then let it take her. She could not misstep or trip, even if she couldn’t see the ground she was walking on.

Alex didn’t know where she was going. It was a cold night, but the stamina of her race was enough to ward off the winter wind. She had felt colder things in her sleep anyway. Her eyes began to adjust as she walked, but she resisted the temptation to use her sight. It was still a shadowy night, and hidden roots and rocks could still trip her. The earth would not let her trip, though.

Alex found herself surrounded by trees, at the trunk of a willow tree. Its branches cascaded down around her like a blanket. She sat beneath the branches and thought about the monster that had taken her city from her. She rested her bare back against the bare trunk, and felt less lonely for it.

“I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do,” she said to nobody. She wasn’t even really sure why she said it. “There’s something evil in there, taking ponies’ free will away. It already got Adrian. Oliver’s probably next.” Then in a voice that was barely a whisper: “I don’t want to be alone.”

The moon shone through the trees, fuller than she had ever seen it. There was something changed about the sky, though she couldn’t say what it was. Without the light-pollution of the city, she could see thousands and thousands of stars.

“You’ve overcome worse,” said nobody.

She didn’t even think it strange, though she hadn’t talked to herself before (unless she counted her journal). She did now, though. “I’ve never fought anyone before. I’ve never had anyone try to hurt me before. You’d think, living in the city-”

The voice interrupted her. “You fought every day of your life, my daughter. And your parents before you. And their parents before them, and their parents before them. You’re just better at it than you used to be.” The strange voice seemed to surround her, like all the trees in the world were whispering at once. It laughed.

No, it wasn’t a laugh. It really was just the rustle of the trees. There was nobody there.

Alex didn’t say anything, listening for the voice she thought she heard. Sure enough, her patience was enough to help it speak. If it was an “it” at all. “Guests I could tolerate, but this is no guest of mine. You will end it for me. Favored son, champion. My strength is yours.”

Alex blinked, searching with her night-weakened eyes for the speaker. She saw nothing at first. After a few moments had passed, a form began to take shape in the distance. “Who are you?”

“Have I been so long a time with you, and yet have you not known me?” The strange feminine voice faded into the wind, dissolving back into the trees.

“How?” Alex rose to her hooves, frustration rising. She didn’t know if she was still dreaming, didn’t know if the person she was speaking to was really there or not. “I’m not a unicorn! I don’t have magic!”

“You never have before,” the night said. “It hasn’t prevented you. The vastness of creation lifted itself in anger, and you didn’t let that stop you. You always had magic, daughter. From the moment I bore you into blood and darkness. Think about it, human. Of all the others, how many can look at the aftermath of a lightning strike and see not fear, but safety? How many could learn enough to try and kill me? How many could care enough to try and save me? That is magic, human. Not runes and spells.”

The motion she had seen far away began to solidify before her eyes. Alex expected some exotic figure, perhaps a goddess. If not that, then at least an empress. Instead, the being that came running at her through the dark was her dog.

“Huan?!” She grinned, even as he ploughed into her, knocking her sideways to the ground. After a hearty wrestle, one he always let her win, Alex was on her hooves again, shoving the excited animal away. “I guess they never found you either?”

The dog didn’t reply, and neither did the strange voice. He only met her eyes, seeming concerned.

“I know you would’ve gone with Cloudy Skies if you could. You always do what I ask.” He rubbed against her, almost as she was beginning to do with other ponies. A very animal way of showing support and affection. That much, at least, she understood. Even if it made her feel less human.

It isn’t hands that make you human. It wasn’t a voice anymore, not even a whisper. It was just a thought, one she wasn’t entirely sure hadn’t come from within.

“I’m glad you found me.” She turned back towards the Hummingbird. Not because she could see it, but because she remembered each and every step she had taken to get here. From them, she could imagine the circuitous path she had taken, one which would eventually take her back. “Things are gonna get pretty crazy. I wouldn’t want you in the middle of it.” The dog licked her face, then hurried off ahead of her, tail wagging. “Yeah, whatever.” She scowled. “Night vision it up, mutt. See if I don’t get goggles one of these days.”

She didn’t get goggles during the walk back, but she did get a call. She had no satellite phone. She hadn’t brought anything besides her gun, shorts, and the electronic device she wore around her right foreleg, which she had taken to calling her “cyber-bracer” because it sounded cool.

The thing didn’t have much more computing power than an average smartphone, at least when it wasn’t within a mile or so of an HPI vehicle. This close to the Hummingbird, it could make use of the aircraft’s main computer, or any of its communication network.

The face that appeared on the screen was one she had become accustomed to seeing over the last few months: Taylor Gamble. The light and color nearly blinded her to look at, at first, face bright and freckled and hair glowing red. She might’ve thought her pretty, in the days Alex had been human and noticed such things. But as time went on, she was beginning to forget what she had found sexually attractive about humans. She remembered finding them attractive, just not why she had felt that way.

The others thought Taylor was an engineer. That was true, though it was far from her main responsibility. Taylor’s primary role was as a diplomat; a coordinator with the “non-human auxiliary.” Alex sometimes spoke with the HPI’s director, but far more often it was their handler, Taylor. Her presence generally meant that some matter or another just wasn’t important enough to warrant Clark’s attention.

“Hello Alex!”

“Hi.” She yawned, pointing the bracelet camera away from her face so Ms. Gamble wouldn’t see.

“You’re up early! Burning the midnight oil?”

Alex shook her head. “Couldn’t sleep. Weird dreams.”

The camera briefly jostled, as though the world on Taylor’s end of the call had suddenly been shoved to one side. “Know the feeling.” Her words stretched a little as she said them, like repeating a mantra.

“You do?”

The woman reached up, brushing a few loose strands of hair away from her eyes, nodding. “I’ve got a theory; there’s a constant supply of weird dreams in the world. With all the people gone, they’re not getting spread out anymore. So all the people — and ponies too I guess — left behind have to get them. Get used to the parade.”

“Have you been dreaming while you’re awake?”

Taylor chuckled. “I hope you’re not. That’s a sign of some serious medical conditions.”

Alex rolled her eyes. “What’s the occasion, Ms. Gamble? You don’t usually call this early, or riding in a vehicle.”

Taylor beamed. “Oh, those two things are definitely related.”

“Commander Clark agreed to my request for help?”

Alex was dimly aware of a sound in the distance, like thunder bouncing off clouds. It was quite faint, but getting louder by the moment. “Yep! And seeing as I happen to be a fairly competent drone pilot myself, and I know more about you ponies than anyone else, I got volunteered! Pretty neat, right?”

It was getting difficult to hear her over the roar. Alex looked up, but she saw nothing. Not at first, anyway. As she looked, she saw a patch of sky darker than the rest. She followed it with her eyes, since she couldn’t hear Taylor anymore. Far above, she saw a few flashes of light, along with the sound of faint explosions. The roaring began to fade, but the darkness wasn’t moving forward. Actually, it was traveling up. “Sorry. The drones don’t like to be dropped from altitude. We lose a few when we do that.”

“You’re not landing?” Alex asked, her ears still ringing.

“Land an Albatross a few miles away from your pony city?” Taylor laughed, warm and genuine with flashes of white teeth. “Hell no!” A few seconds later, Alex heard a terrible crashing sound in the distance, and felt the earth groan beneath her hooves. Something, a very heavy something, had just landed.

“I’m uploading positional data to your wristcom now, if you want to see if they landed okay.” Taylor’s smile widened. “I understand we’ve got a city to liberate.”

PreviousChapters Next