• Published 13th Jul 2015
  • 9,693 Views, 1,967 Comments

Founders of Alexandria - Starscribe



Four months after the end of human civilization, six ponies come together to rebuild. They learn that the apocalypse has not made friendship any easier.

  • ...
45
 1,967
 9,693

PreviousChapters Next
Part 3 (Moriah) - Chapter 1

“You know you're going to love it, Sky.” The mare in question had supplemented her typically nonexistent wardrobe with a long black scarf with a red streak, along with a pair of flying goggles. Moriah had a pair too, taken from the many gifts Equestria had given, though she also had a leather jacket and pants, both tailored for her by the pony who called herself "Cloudy Skies".

“I'm not sure I will...” Sky advanced to where the aircraft sat, nudging the open door with one hoof. “These just look like tubes...”

“They are. Aluminum tubes!”

“And cloth. We're... going to fly in this? Just some tubes and some cloth? Is that safe?”

Moriah nodded vigorously. She had swept her mane back that morning, gelling and grooming it in preparation for the new arrivals. Just because she now lived in a body that disgusted her didn't mean she would let it fall into disrepair, or look less than presentable when making a first impression. “Don't you fly with less, Sky? Just those feathers and those wings. I promise your bones are weaker than these poles.”

Of course, Moriah didn't actually know that. This was the same model ultralight she had learned on as a kid. Assembling it had been harder than she remembered, but it hadn't flown that differently. It would’ve been easier if she had been able to use her horn, but considering things she pointed it at often disintegrated, she wasn’t about to take that risk with the plane she was flying. “Well yeah, but if something bad happens, we might not be high enough for me to get out!”

“I won’t let something bad happen.” She gestured to her own sides, notably devoid of wings. “I don’t have any chance of living through it. You can bet I’ll be careful.”

“Lonely Day really went with you?”

“Every weekend. Alex loves flying. She’s begged me every week to let her take the controls. She’s not afraid, and she doesn’t even have wings.”

“Day isn’t afraid of anything…” She poked her head into the belly of the little plane. “Looks pretty secure I guess.”

“It’s very secure.” She privately added, ‘I made sure of that this morning when I finished assembling it.’ She didn’t say that part out loud, though. Poor Sky was fearful of enough without her adding enough to scare her out of flying. Moriah could go alone, of course. But that wasn’t much of a first impression. The first new colonists ever were arriving in Alexandria today, and Alex wasn’t here to greet them. Nobody else seemed to want to, so that meant the duty fell to her. If she just arrived on her own, it wouldn’t look like Alexandria cared about them. Nevermind they were going to have a feast tonight, blow some of the last of their fresh food. It would be cans and more cans until Oliver’s next crop came in.

“We can’t just wait until they arrive? You said this wasn’t much faster than driving anyway, and if they’re close enough we’re going to reach them today…”

“Might be slower. Depends on the wind.” She gestured. “Get in, Sky. You’ll enjoy it. Quit second-guessing yourself.”

“O-Okay.” The pegasus pondered the door one last time, then hopped up, crawling around the front seat to sit in back. There were no controls back there; it wasn’t a copilot seat. This was only an ultralight, a plane with less power than some go-karts. There was a thrill to soaring through the air with so little between you and the sky, as close to truly flying as Moriah would ever experience.

If only the goddamn “Preservation Spell” hadn’t made her a unicorn. If only it hadn’t got lots of things wrong about her. Maybe she wouldn’t resent the Equestrians so much if they had given her more reason to be grateful. Maybe she wouldn’t loathe herself so much either. Pity Joseph was too frightened of heights; it was always good to have him around to drown her sorrows. She wouldn’t trust herself to drink just one glass of wine before flying.

Moriah kicked the triangular stops away from the wheels, slamming the door shut behind her by the rope tied there. The cockpit had been cramped before, but for a pony it was practically roomy. There was little to be done to adjust the joystick for pony control; even clumsy hooves could manipulate it with ease. Her legs could even reach the pedals, though they had added padding to the seat so her back wouldn’t go unsupported through the entire flight.

She made a show of the last of the pre-flight checks, going through them as though moving through a carefully choreographed dance. Alex had been a rapid learner and been able to help; she had done most of them herself this time, and only had the last few to go. Five minutes later, and she flicked the electric ignition. The engine roared, and the little ultralight began lurching forward along the ground. Her heart began to pound as they rolled along the deserted street. She felt the lightness as the wheels tried and failed to rip themselves free of Earth’s cruel grip, then the elation as they did, taking her up and up into the sky. Nothing like the heights a commercial aircraft might reach, which was part of what would limit their speed. The turbulence at such low altitudes could easily shake an ultralight to pieces.

A brisk wind could too, though she wouldn’t want to be airborne in anything during storm conditions, be it made from cloth or metal. Sky cheered from behind her as they rushed up and up, though they never got higher than about two thousand feet. So low, that the objects below them were still easy to distinguish. On a day like this, Moriah could easily navigate just by following the highway. That was exactly what she intended to do, fly along the highway until they saw any sign of the caravan moving in.

“We’re so high!” Sky shouted over the engine, which roared not so much because it was actually that loud as because it was only a few feet from their heads and the cabin wasn’t fully enclosed. That made things more exciting too, plus it justified wearing awesome flying goggles. Shame none of the helmets she found had fit on a stupid pony head. “I’ve come up this high a few times, but it’s been hard building up the endurance! The books from Equestria say that pegasus ponies can walk on clouds, but they’re way too high up to find out!” She glanced up out where a window would’ve been, looking straight up above them. Moriah was fairly impressed she could shout loud enough to be heard at all.

“I could bring you up if you want! I could probably slow down quite a bit over some clouds. You could hop out! Not sure how you’d get back in, though!”

Moriah didn’t see her expression, only heard her shout, “Maybe another time! I’d rather have a pony parachute if I was gonna try that, but I feel like it would probably get in the way of my wings! Maybe I’ll wait until Adrian can fly up with me!” Pause. “You’re really good at this, Moriah! How long have you been flying these?”

She glanced briefly back. “Since before I was old enough for it to be legal! Got my Private Pilot the day I turned seventeen. Best birthday present ever!” She took them into a sudden dive (well, as sudden as was safe for the delicate little plane), pulling gradually up and grinning.

“You were gonna be a pilot professionally then?”

“Yeah! My family’s been doing it for three generations now! I had less than twenty hours before I was gonna be eligible. Guess I’ll never make ATP now…” She trailed off, leveling them off in the air and staring off into the endless sky.

So the flight went. There wasn’t really much to be seen soaring above Illinois; not a single city to speak of anywhere they would be visiting today, only endless dead fields and rolling grasses and the occasional little farmhouse or town even smaller than Alexandria. Moriah found herself settling into a routine. There was no autopilot to set, but she found herself almost going into autopilot, watching the road in front of them and the sky and letting her mind drift amid the clouds.

Was flying easier for her now that she was a pony? It felt that way; like her hooves were operating on muscle memory, even though until a few months ago she had never used hooves to control anything. There were other kinds of instincts too, the sort that her father had sometimes talked about. Having a sense for what the weather was going to be, or knowing how to adjust her flightpath to compensate for pockets of turbulence. She was sure that in the event of something more serious, she would know what to do without even thinking about it even if it hadn’t been a circumstance she had been specifically trained for.

A few hours of flight later and Sky called out from behind her. “That’s them! See them in the distance?” She didn’t, not until she saw where Sky was pointing. Damn those pegasus eyes were sharp. Being so light meant it didn’t take long to bring them in for a landing. She gradually reduced their speed, pulling up for a gentle landing on the flat, featureless center of the highway. She used what remained of her momentum to coast to the side of the road.

“Help me turn ‘er around. We want to be ready to go as soon as they get here. Unless they’re slow as balls, they’ll beat us back to town anyway. Might as well not keep them waiting too long.” The ultralight was not heavy, not with two ponies pushing. The hardest part about getting it turned around was avoiding putting pressure anywhere they weren’t supposed to; even a pony might pop a support out of place (or worse, tear fabric somewhere). Such minor damage would nevertheless ground them; Moriah wasn’t stupid enough to trust her skill over substandard equipment.

They didn’t tear anything, though, and together they turned it around with plenty of time to spare. Enough time to relieve themselves, and to sit down by the little plane to await the caravan.

Once she had overcome her disgust from even such basic bodily functions, Moriah returned to feeling pretty good about the flight. Yeah, she couldn’t do anything special with the ultralight. Yeah, they hadn’t gone that fast. That hadn’t made it less fun, though. “You regret coming?”

Sky shook her head, grinning. “Way better than staying back at home without Alex to keep an eye on the freaky bugpony.” She glanced over at the ultralight. “I bet Alex didn’t even have that much fun riding in that HPI plane. Uh… Hummingbird? Yeah, that’s what they called it… Bet it’s not nearly as much fun without having the wind in your face…”

“Did you never fly before the Event, Sky?”

“Nope,” she agreed. “My family didn’t really… I was kinda lucky when they just forgot about me. Fancy trips? Not a chance in hell!” One of her hooves ground into the dirt, just a little.

Moriah was surprised she could even hear it. “Sorry to bring it up. I don’t mean to make you relive something unpleasant…”

Sky sniffed, wiping a few angry tears away from her face before nodding appreciatively. “It’s not your fault I lived in a shithole. It’s all good now, though. I’ll never have to see those people ever again. Gone forever… gone forever…”

PreviousChapters Next