• Published 13th Jul 2015
  • 9,694 Views, 1,967 Comments

Founders of Alexandria - Starscribe



Four months after the end of human civilization, six ponies come together to rebuild. They learn that the apocalypse has not made friendship any easier.

  • ...
45
 1,967
 9,694

PreviousChapters Next
Part 2 (Joseph) - Chapter 2

Joseph frowned, listening to the plan again. Alex’s “meeting” hadn’t included Adrian. At first, he had thought it was because she wanted to lecture them about being nicer to Riley, and somepony had to stop the bugpony from stumbling into the conversation.

It had been, at first. But there were only so many different ways she could explain that “Riley couldn’t help what she’d been turned into and she needed their kindness.” She showed a picture of a little girl, got everybody to feel guilty, and promised that she would personally take responsibility for any of Riley’s bad behavior.

It was all he could do not to fall asleep, and he mostly didn’t. Until he heard his own name. “Once I’ve got Riley out and we’re driving away, Joseph grabs him and holds him still. He’s got guns in there, so you can’t let him reach them.”

“I only need ten seconds to find a good vein and get the sedative injected.” Oliver folded his forelegs across the table. “Probably less than that. I didn’t like what I saw; his wing might already be gangrenous. It’s possible it’s even necrotic, and its poisoning his blood. If so, I might have to ampu-”

Two voices shouted then, in perfect unison. One was Cloudy Skies, looking more shocked than angry. The other was Moriah, who hadn’t only jerked into a standing position but was practically frothing at the mouth. Moriah was louder, and sitting right next to him, so he heard what she said over Cloudy.

“If you find out you have to amputate, you wake him up and tell him first! I don’t care if you think you know better, it’s his right to chose whether or not he’ll let you do that! Helping him is one thing; I think we’re doing the right thing. But if you try and make a life-changing decision like that without his consent, I’ll shoot you myself!”

Joseph could feel the tension in her body, the fury in coiled muscles and saturated in every inch of her slight frame. He stared sideways in shock, uncomprehending. What had her so worked up? She turned and met his eyes, and somehow he knew she expected him to take her side. That was what couples did, right? He’d never been with a girl this long before!

Desperate, Joseph forced himself to form words. “We, uh… yeah! We won’t do it without telling him! We can always wake him up first!” He patted her shoulder. “So we help get-” He closed the screen to his 3DS, looking away from her. “Why are we cutting his wings off?”

Moriah sighed loudly, huffing back into a sitting position just far enough away not to be able to touch him. Oliver opened his mouth as though he wanted to speak, but Alex spoke first. “You know how Adrian always wears those wraps on his wings?” At a nod, she continued. “We saw under them at the museum yesterday. He’s got a really serious injury, one that would leave him in constant pain on a daily basis and will eventually cost him his wing.

Oliver has the hospital ready. We’ve got a generator running, tons of different medications, and lots of books on pegasus anatomy and wing structure. We’re going to sedate him, take a few x-rays, and see what has to happen. Maybe it’s something simple to fix, maybe it’s not. But we won’t ever convince Adrian to let us help him, so we’re going to compel him. Haven’t you been listening?”

No, no he hadn’t. If she’d wanted him to pay attention, she shouldn’t have started the meeting with a guilt-trip and a picture of a kid. “Okay, I get it! Let’s just do it already!” Did he want to get back to his game? Maybe a little, but he also didn’t like the idea of Adrian dying, even if he’d been around the shortest. They would have to protect him from himself.

“Right, so… it’s not going to put him under right away. We haven’t tested human medicine nearly as much as I would like. I’m just going to make him pliable, so we can get him to the hospital. I can figure out a more precise dosage when we get there.”

Joseph wasn’t very involved with the next part of the plan. Alex went in, spent about a half hour talking to the ponies there, and emerged with the insect in tow. He pretended not to be watching, though of course he was staring. Why did other ponies make such a big deal about her, again? Yeah, she looked like a bug. So what? Bugs looked like bugs, and he didn’t mind so long as they stayed away from his face and his monitor.

Once Alex and the girl were gone, they all headed over to Adrian’s RV, to willingly perpetrate the first-ever crime in Alexandria.

He hadn’t actually gone inside as they walked over, waving to them. There was something feeble about the gesture, as though he barely had the strength to lift his limbs. “Hey guys.” Adrian glanced between them. “Must’ve been a good meeting. We gonna plan a party for Riley or something?”

“Yeah!” Cloudy Skies reached him first, embracing him unexpectedly. She wasn’t quite so large as the stallion, but she was big enough to obstruct most of his vision with a hug. Oliver was able to get behind him, removing a prepared syringe. “It’s going to be a ‘your friend saw a doctor’ party!”

“Now, Joe!”

Adrian shoved away from Cloudy, or he tried.

That was when Joseph reached within himself, drawing upon the magic of his race.

Alex had asked him several times to describe the sensation of casting a spell. Maybe, she had told him, if he could be detailed enough, she could recreate that same feeling in herself and master magic too. That had been in a simpler time, before they learned their assigned species had discrete differences. Even then, he had struggled.

There was no deactivating the magical senses that came with his horn. Like an irritating bit of clothing or a persistent sound, he generally tuned them out, letting them fade into the environment. He had to call this vision back in order to use his levitation, and so he let his eyes lose focus. It wasn’t sight; more like volume. He saw the ley lines of the universe, and the invisible mana that traveled through them. Time seemed to slow around him as he focused on the mana trapped around Adrian’s body.

This would be far more difficult than levitating an object. Objects had mana the same way a stagnant pool had water. A pony, though… a pony was like an ocean. Adrian in particular seemed to be roiling with it, twisting with invisible convection and forming invisible patterns to imitate his thoughts. They took angry dissonance with his fury, a roiling cumulonimbus towering above and around him.

To succeed, Joseph’s will would have to be stronger. First came the step his book called the imago, the vision of the spell. He saw an invisible hand of iron, its grip firm enough to shatter stone. He saw the hand descend into the angry field that surrounded Adrian, ignoring the dissipating energy and becoming real. It would hold him without interfering with the magic of anypony else.

Magic did not come from nothing; he had known that long before he had learned about Equestria or read their books. Magic required more than simple willpower, and more than belief. It required faith. It wasn’t like a religion; it didn’t much care where his faith was. When Joseph cast a spell, it was his absolute confidence in an ordered universe that gave him the strength to perform magic. Hydrogen would always collapse to form stars; light would always move the same speed in a vacuum, and time would always flow forward.

That confidence formed the core of the spell, the nucleus around which Joseph could draw mana from himself and the space around them. Generally the amount of energy it took to move an inanimate object was so insignificant he could scarcely feel it. Now though, he felt the rush from within, like a brief blush to his whole body and fluids drawn up to his horn. All that energy came together in a blazing instant, exploding out in a glow of pink illumination.

Adrian shrugged, but Joseph’s will crushed down upon him. Adrian’s body was strong, but Joseph didn’t let him fight that way. He brought his very soul to bear, resting on a foundation of physics and mathematics. It really wasn’t a fair fight.

Rather than give up the spell, Joseph used it to help guide Adrian into the back of the waiting ambulance. Only then did he move into the last stage of the spell, disassociation. Magic tended to take on a life of its own once given form by a pony; if he didn’t make an effort to disassociate himself from it, it would draw on his life force to keep doing whatever it wanted. With most levitation that only meant reminding the object it was actually supposed to be sitting on the ground. In this case, it took a sustained act of concentration, reminding himself that he didn’t have a gigantic glowing hand made of metal.

The strength left him in a rush, leaving his limbs momentarily shaky. He abruptly found Moriah beside him, letting him lean against her with a reassuring smile. She knew what that feeling was like, and more. After all, she had somehow performed a spell that reversed seven years of time in a small area, including several objects and one pony. She would know what the exhaustion was like.

“Do you need us?” he asked, when he had enough strength to get his mouth to move again. “I could… use a rest.”

Oliver shook his head. “Not for a few hours. Alex already helped me with the power situation. I might need you if there’s any surgery to be done, though. Magic is more precise than hooves. Just stay close to a radio.”

He nodded. “Sure, radio. I’ll eat extra radio, doc.”

Moriah shoved him slightly, glaring at Oliver. “Remember; don’t do anything permanent without waking him first.”

The stallion looked as if he might say something to argue, and for several tense moments his eyes met Moriah’s. Joe could practically see the sparks and feel the heat, though much of that was probably because his magical senses were still itching to be used. Eventually he said, “I’ll wake him if amputation is the only way. Otherwise, I won’t. His judgement has clearly been compromised by his injury."

Cloudy looked helplessly between the two of them, then hopped up into the back of the ambulance beside Adrian. She pulled the doors shut from within, meeting Joseph’s eyes once with a single sympathetic glance before she vanished inside.

Joseph tugged at Moriah’s coat, trying to draw her away. She would keep an argument going for hours if she got her way. Fortunately Oliver didn’t seem very interested in fighting her tonight either, because he turned and hurried into the truck too.

“We’ll be in touch!” The engine roared, the wheels tearing several deep divots in the grass before gaining enough traction to take the ambulance away, out onto the street and into Alexandria proper.

PreviousChapters Next