• Published 6th Jul 2015
  • 3,585 Views, 67 Comments

Guiding Light - Havokwithak



After a heart-breaking parting with the one she loves, Twilight Sparkle receives a visitor she never expected.

  • ...
4
 67
 3,585

Chapter 5

As the confetti cannon exploded directly next to the unicorn, Sunset's eyes dilated and she dropped to the floor as she threw her hooves over her head. She whimpered once and began to tremble. Not her too, Twilight thought as she ran across the room to the unicorn. Had she known that Pinkie had planted those things, she may have thought to warn her. Sunset had been shot just a day or so ago, of course she would have a panic attack over a cannon exploding next to her.

Her Sunset had been taken by panic attacks several times during their relationship and Twilight knew from experience that there were few things that would calm her, and one of them she dared not do in a crowded room of ponies. She quickly wrapped the smaller mare in her hooves and began rocking her back and forth. She gently stroked her mane and hummed lightly as everypony in the room continued to stare.

"What's happening?" Rainbow asked from directly behind Twilight. Nopony had noticed her rushing to the unicorn just as quickly as Twilight had.

"She's having a panic attack." Twilight explained. "Sunset has anxiety and the fact that she was shot a couple days ago probably helped trigger this. She'll be okay in a few minutes, she just usually needs someone to ground her until she snaps out of it."

"How do you know that?" Sunset asked as she shifted in the alicorn's grasp. Her voice was barely above a whisper, but the tremor in it was clear.

"I just do, Sunset. Don't worry about it right now." Twilight said as she continued to run her hoof through Sunset's mane. "We're all here for you right now, okay?"

Sunset nodded quickly as she buried her muzzle in Twilight's coat. "Okay." she whispered. Tears stained the alicorn's coat, but she did not care.

"At least it isn't another magic outburst..." Rainbow mumbled, her voice muted as Twilight's thoughts began to wander.


Twilight froze as Sunset fell to the ground. Sunset had just been talking about her first few days in the human world when she had collapsed. "Sunset Shimmer!" Twilight cried as she approached the girl. "What's wrong?"

"I can't, I can't, I can't... I don't..." Sunset gripped the sides of her head and whimpered. "Don't-Don't-Don- No!" she screamed as she crumpled into a fetal position. "No..." she whispered as tears fell down her face.

Twilight panicked for a moment before doing the only thing she could think of. She wrapped her arms around the smaller girl's shoulders and cooed gently to her. "It's okay..." she said. "You're okay. I'm here for you..."

Sunset nodded as she buried her head into Twilight's shirt. "Don't leave me..." she pleaded.

"I'm not going to leave you." Twilight said as she ran her fingers through Sunset's hair. "I'm never going to leave you."


"I'm okay now." Sunset mumbled several minutes later. "I'm really sorry everyone." she said, slightly louder than before.

"It's okay." Rainbow said quickly. "You don't need to apologize."

Sunset smiled at the pegasus before she felt Twilight's hooves leave her. Twilight stood quickly, not even bothering to speak to her anymore, and walked into the mass of ponies. "What's wrong with Twilight?" she asked the pegasus quietly.

Rainbow shook her head. "I think you just shook her up a bit. She'll be okay." Rainbow promised as she extended a hoof to the unicorn. "We all just need to give her some space after that."

"How did she know about my anxiety?" Sunset asked as she accepted Rainbow's help from the floor.

"Twilight... knows a lot of things." Rainbow said. "We don't really question how she knows the things she does. We just accept it."

"So who are all of these ponies?" Sunset asked. She counted six in the room that stood out, the marks on their flanks familiar, and two of them she already knew.

Rainbow waved the other four ponies over to where she stood. "This is Fluttershy." Rainbow said as a yellow pegasus with a pink mane stepped forward.

"Nice to meet you." Sunset chirped as she held out a hoof.

"Nice to meet you too." Fluttershy mumbled as she bumped the hoof before quickly retreating to the other side of the room. Sunset frowned after her, but she understood. Her first time meeting Sunset and the only things she knew about her was that she had panic attacks and fell to the ground crying.

"Don't worry about her, darling." A white unicorn said as she stepped forward. "She's a little shy around new ponies. I am Rarity." she announced before throwing a hoof around Sunset neck.

"Nice to meet you." Sunset said as she returned the embrace.

"I'm Pinkie Pie." A pony who could only be described as pink said over Rarity shoulder. "You must be Sunset Shimmer, Twilight's told us so much about you, well she really hasn't told us anything about you, it was mainly Rainbow Dash who told us about you, Twilight just kinda sat on her throne and zoned out while we were all filled in on all the details about you and we all got to learn a little bit about you like your name, the fact that your a criminal in your world, and what color your coat and mane were, and-"

"Wait." Sunset said, breaking her hug with the unicorn. "What?"

"Well, she didn't tell us exactly what you looked like just-"

"No, not that."

"Oh, that your a criminal back in your world?"

"Yes." Sunset said, hanging her head. "I was hoping this place would be a fresh start." she mumbled.

"Don't worry." An orange pony with a blonde mane said. "Honesty is best around here. It's best you done got it out of the way."

"Besides," Rainbow said. "You'd be surprised how many criminals are our friends now." she laughed.

"I'm Applejack." The orange pony said as she held out a hoof. "Nice to meet ya, Sunset."

"Nice to meet you too, Applejack." Sunset bumped the hoof.

"I feel like we already know you, Sunset." the pink one said. "I'm Pinkie Pie."

"Of course you are." Sunset laughed. "Well, it's nice to meet all of you." she said in a warm tone.

"You should probably go talk to Twilight." Rainbow whispered to her. Twilight and Fluttershy were at the drink table on the other side of the room sipping on punch and speaking in low tones.

"I don't think she wants to talk to me right now." Sunset whispered back. "I'll talk to her when everyone else clears out."

"Would you like me to take your bags, Sunset?" Rarity asked.

Sunset blushed and quickly shook her head, remembering what was inside the bag. "No thank you, Rarity. I'll take them myself real quick."

"Are you sure, dear? This is your welcome party after all." Rarity said.

"It's fine, but thank you." Sunset said as she briskly walked away. She walked towards her room, again wondering at her strong claim on it, and deposited the bag inside the door. There was nothing perishable in there, she would just deposit it all in the proper places once the party cleared out.

"I'm sorry..." came a small voice from behind her.

Sunset spun around to find the yellow pegasus, Fluttershy, at her door. "What for?" she asked as she levitated her saddle bag to the bed.

"For running off like that." Fluttershy said. "I know you need friends right now, but I just didn't know how to handle it actually being you."

"What do you mean?" Sunset asked.

"I just meant, I don't really know what I was expecting, but it wasn't you..." Fluttershy said quietly. Sunset wondered if this pony did anything that wasn't quiet. "I don't mean any offence by that, I just wasn't expecting you to look the way you do."

"And how do I look?" Sunset asked, her voice betraying a slight annoyance.

"Familiar." Fluttershy said. "You look like someone we've all known for years, but at the same time, you're completely different."

"Oh." Sunset said. She simply had no idea of how to respond to that. "Can I ask you a question, Fluttershy?" Sunset asked.

"Oh... uh... sure..." Fluttershy mumbled.

"Do you know why the Princess doesn't want me here?"

"It isn't that she doesn't want you here, I think. She probably just doesn't want to get too attached to you." Fluttershy sighed before sitting on her haunches. "She's already gotten close to several people in your world. She's said goodbye to all of them but one and I don't think she's handling it that well. It seems like everyone from that world ends up leaving her behind and she doesn't want that to happen again with you, I think." Fluttershy explained in a calm manner. She doubted saying that much would hurt Twilight.

"But, it seems like she really has it out for me." Sunset said. "Almost like she holds a grudge against me personally."

"Uhm, I don't think she has it out for you." Fluttershy said. "She's just... having trouble processing you being here, I think..."

"Well, do you think she'll ever warm up to me?" Sunset asked. "I'm already growing to like the princess... quite a bit, actually."

"Oh, well, I think so." Fluttershy said, her voice wavering slightly. "You just need to give her a little time and I'm sure you'll be friends."

"Thanks." Sunset said as she extended a hoof to the pegasus. Fluttershy took the offered hoof and stood before gracing Sunset with a tiny, hopeful, smile.


Twilight sighed loudly. "I know, Rainbow Dash." she said. The minute that Sunset had left the room, Rainbow had begun lecturing her on how 'uncool' it was to just walk off the way she had.

"I don't think you do." Rainbow said defensively. "We all watched her break down in the middle of the room and you just dropped her and walked away, because, what? You didn't want to help somepony who looks like your Sunset?"

"Rainbow," Twilight began calmly. "I helped her through her attack. She felt better. She didn't need me anymore. I got a drink. You're making it out like I abandoned her when she needed me."

"Whatever." Rainbow mumbled. "I just think that you should stop treating her so bad."

"I'm not treating her badly at all, Dash." Twilight snapped. "I've given her shelter, food, a job, and a place to live. After, might I add, she confessed to being a fugitive."

"The other Sunset was a fugitive too." Rainbow said. "And you loved her all the same!"

"Don't you dare!" Twilight yelled. Rainbow froze and shied away from her friend after her outburst. "I don't want to talk about this anymore. I'm being as nice to Sunset as I can possibly be, so stop talking about it."

"Twilight, I-"

"No!" Twilight said sternly. "Why do you think it matters so much?"

"Maybe she's tired of seeing you hurting all of the time." Pinkie said.

Twilight froze as she tore her gaze away from Rainbow to discover that all of her friends were staring at her.

"Darling, maybe you need to go easy on Dash." Rarity said. "She's obviously just has your best interests at heart."

"C'mon, Twi." Applejack said as she placed a hoof on Twilight's back. "Maybe you should stop focusing on all the negatives an' start lookin' at the positives."

"What positives?" Twilight sighed. "I've allowed a pony into my home who looks just like my biggest mistake."

"Don't say that!" Pinkie warned sternly, her good-natured cheer evaporating. "You can say whatever you want, but don't you dare call your Sunset a mistake." Pinkie visibly shook as she glared at Twilight. "I've never seen you smile brighter than when you were with her. If you call that a mistake... then you're just heartless."

Twilight felt a familiar ache in her chest and burning in her face as she stared at Pinkie. "But... I just don't want to hurt anymore." she said quietly.

"We don't want you to hurt no more." Applejack said quietly. "But, you've got to stop letting the sight of Sunset get you so worked up, cause you ain't helpin' none when you do."

Twilight sighed deeply. "I know that." she said quietly. "But, you have no idea how hard it is for me..."

"And you aren't thinking of how hard it is for her." Rainbow snapped. "She almost died when she came through the portal and the pony that saved her is kinda bein' a jerk."

"Uhm..." Sunset's voice broke through everyone's thoughts. "Is everything okay down here?" Sunset asked as she entered the group. "I could here you guys yelling from down the hall."

"It's fine." Twilight said abruptly.

"I could have sworn I heard my name too." Sunset said.

"We were talking about a different pony." Twilight said. "Why don't you get something to eat and enjoy your party?" Without waiting for a response, Twilight walked away once more.

"Did I do something wrong?" Sunset asked the remaining ponies.

"No, darling." Rarity said quietly as she placed a hoof on Sunset's back. "Twilight's just feeling a little stressed."

"Where's Fluttershy?" Pinkie asked.

"She's still in the hall." Sunset said. "I think she was scared to come in while you all were yelling."

"I'll get 'er." Applejack said as she walked away.

"Are you alright, dear?" Rarity asked. "You look a little frazzled."

"I'm fine." Sunset said quickly as she plastered a smile on her face. "I guess I'm just worried about Twilight."

"What for?" Rainbow asked. "All she's done for you is been a jerk."

"Rainbow." Pinkie said. "Shouldn't you be a little bit more sensitive."

"Twilight saved my life, Rainbow." Sunset said quickly. "I almost died and she saved me. I can't expect anything more than what she's already done. Yeah, her mood swings are worrying me a little, but you said yourself that she's been through hell the past year. I just want her to be okay."

"Well, that's very kind of you." Rarity said. "But, maybe all she needs is a little time to get used to you being here."

"Maybe." Sunset shrugged. "In the meantime, I'm going to prove to her that I'm not a bad person."

"That sounds like a good idea." Pinkie beamed. "And maybe after you prove that you're a good person, Twilight will let you stay here in Equestria and we can all be your friends forever."

"I'd like that, I think." Sunset said as she smiled at the pink pony.


Twilight left the party behind. At the moment she all she wanted was to be as far away from Sunset Shimmer as possible. "Where are you going?" a tiny voice asked from behind her.

Twilight sighed. "Don't worry, Fluttershy. I'm just getting some air."

"Shouldn't you be keeping an eye on Sunset?" Fluttershy asked as she walked into Twilight's view.

"She'll be fine. She's got everypony else with her right now." Twilight said as she continued to make her way down the long hallways of her castle.

"I meant... uhm... aren't you suspicious of her?" Fluttershy asked. "You girls all said that she was a criminal in the other world. Aren't you worried that she's going to do something bad?"

"No." Twilight said flatly. "Fluttershy, I hate to say this, but that Sunset in there isn't much different from my Sunset. She looks the same, acts the same, talks, walks, and even moves the same. She's not my Sunset, but they're so much alike, I'm not worried that she's going to do anything bad."

"Didn't your Sunset try to kill you?" Fluttershy asked.

"Yes, but her body was taken over by a demon when she did that." Twilight said. "She wasn't the type of person to hurt people intentionally. At least, not physically."

"Well, if you're so sure that she's not bad, why are you treating her so bad."

"Fluttershy, look, I appreciate what you're trying to do, but I've already gotten this speech from Rainbow Dash, I don't need it from you."

"Okay..." Fluttershy mumbled.

Twilight stopped and turned to face her friend. "Look, I'm sorry for being a little snippy. It's just- you don't have any idea how much it hurts to see someone you love more than anything in the world, but they have no idea who you are."

"Yes I do." Fluttershy said. "Maybe not just like that, but I know what it's like to see somepony you love so much... you'd do anything for them, while they barely know anything about you."

Twilight blinked once. Then again. "Fluttershy, I had no idea." she said. "I'm sorry."

"Oh, no... uhm... don't be..." Fluttershy said. "I just... the pony I love... I really do love them.... but, they're in love with somepony else... at least, I'm pretty sure..."

"I'm sorry, Fluttershy. I had no idea." Twilight repeated. "Why didn't you say anything?"

"Well, what could you have done?" Fluttershy asked.

"I could've-" Twilight blinked. "I could have listened." Twilight ventured. "I could have listened to what you had to say and been there for you like a good friend should."

"When I realized I was in love, Twilight... it was a little over a year ago." Fluttershy began walking towards Twilight's library and Twilight followed suit. "I saw the way she stared at another mare, and it hurt." Fluttershy sat in front of the portal to the other world and stared at her reflection. "I wanted to talk to you about it, but I was worried of what you'd think... and then... you broke it off with Sunset. I saw how much that hurt you, and I didn't want to drop any of my problems on you while you were dealing with that.

"Then you spent the past year cooped up in your castle... and you spent so much time crying... I didn't want to say anything before now..." Fluttershy sniffed once as she finished saying her piece.

"Have I truly been that selfish?" Twilight asked.

"Oh no, Twilight... I didn't think you were being selfish at all." Fluttershy said quickly.

"But, I haven't been there for my friends..." Twilight said as she sat on the floor next to the pegasus. "I've been so distant this past year that I didn't even notice how much pain you were in."

"Yes... but, nopony else did either, Twilight." Fluttershy said as she wrapped her hooves around her friend. "I bottled it up so I wouldn't bother anybody."

"You shouldn't have had to." Twilight breathed into Fluttershy's mane. "We all should have been there for you."

"It's okay, Twilight."

"No, it's not." Twilight tightened her grip on the pony in her hooves. "But, it will be. I promise I won't let anything like this happen again."


Sunset Shimmer stared into her glass of punch, contemplating the pink tinted reflection staring back at her. She had become a unicorn, which she already knew, with a yellow coat and a mane that matched her normal red and yellow hair. Her eyes, while the same shade of blue they had always been, were much larger on her equine face.

"You okay?" A deep, southern voice asked from behind her.

Sunset turned to face the earth pony and smiled. "I'm fine." she said. "I guess I'm still adjusting to this whole 'I'm a magical unicorn' thing." she shrugged. Then she briefly wondered how she shrugged with a different shoulder structure than she was used to, before shrugging again.

"Yeah, I reckon it's pretty difficult gettin' used to a new body." Applejack said as she poured herself a glass of punch. "Hopefully after a while you'll get used to it."

"I hope so." Sunset said. She scanned the room for a moment before facing Applejack again. "Where's Fluttershy?"

"She said she wanted to have a talk with Twilight 'bout somethin' and ran off." Applejack said with a shrug. "I figure she's takin' it pretty hard that Twilight ain't bein' as kind as she should. She takes that kinda thing pretty personal."

"Why would she take something like that personal?" Sunset asked. "It's not like she's in charge of making sure everybody is kind to one-another."

"Well, no, she ain't." Applejack said. "But she is the element of kindness."

"The element of kindness?"

"Yeah," Applejack sat her glass on the table before taking a seat on a nearby chair. Sunset quickly followed suit. "Here in Equestria, Harmony is made up of six different elements. Fluttershy is one of those elements. The element of kindness."

"I think Rainbow mentioned those elements before." Sunset said. "Are you all elements?"

"Well, yeah, except for Spike we all are." Applejack said. "I'm the element of honesty, Rainbow is the element of loyalty, Rarity is the element of generosity, Pinkie is the element of laughter, and Twilight is the sixth element. The element of magic."

"I thought she was the Princess of Friendship?"

"She is, but before that, she was one of the elements of Harmony." Applejack explained. "Y'see, here, Harmony is an important type of magic, I think. That Harmony is made of friendship. When we found the Elements of Harmony all those years ago, we each became an element. Twilight proved herself to Harmony and became a princess."

"How does that work exactly?"

"T'be right honest with you, I ain't got a clue." Applejack said. "I just know how Twilight and Princess Celestia explained it to me, so that's how I'm explaining it to you."

"Well, I appreciate the lesson Applejack." Sunset said. "So, I don't mean to sound rude, but if Twilight is the Princess of Friendship, then why is she so against the idea of being my friend?"

"Ya caught on to that, huh?"

"It was kind of hard not to notice." Sunset said. "I mean, don't get me wrong. I really appreciate everything that Twilight's done for me, but it's hard not to notice how much she avoids me."

"Well, I ain't gonna lie to you, Sunset. Twilight's head ain't exactly been in the right place the past year. She's been through some stuff and I don't think I've seen her interact with anybody but the six of us and you in a long time." Applejack shook her head. "I was startin' to think she'd never get better, but believe it or not, she's doin' a lot better now than she was."

"Yeah, Rainbow told me she's had a pretty severe break-up." Sunset said. "She told me just to give her some time and space and she'll come around."

"That about sums it up, sugarcube." Applejack said with a friendly pat upon the unicorn's back.

"I really like, Twilight." Sunset said quickly. "I want to be her friend... so that's why I had to ask."

"I understand." Applejack said. "She's saved your life, givin' you a job, and a place to live, and to top it off, y'ain't even known her for a full day. Lots o' ponies would wanna be her friend. Give it some time and I'm sure you will be."

"Thanks Applejack." Sunset said.

"Speaking o' jobs, I wanted ta talk to you about that." Applejack said.

"What's up?"

"Well, there ain't a lot you can do at the castle, so me and Pinkie were talking about you helping out down at sugarcube corner every now and then, if we can talk Twilight into it." Applejack said. "They'd appreciate the help, plus, it'd help you see more of the town."

"I think I was at sugarcube corner earlier today, actually." Sunset said with a shrug. "I wouldn't mind working in a place like that. It would be an upgrade over my last job for sure."

"What was that?" Applejack asked.

Sunset opened her mouth, before frowning and shaking her head. "Not important." she said briskly. "I don't know why I said that."

Applejack narrowed her eyes for but a moment before shrugging. "Well, if you'd be alright with that, I'll talk to Twilight and the Cakes about it later."

"Sunset Shimmer." A stern voice said from behind the two mares. Sunset turned quickly and smiled at the princess that had addressed her.

"Princess Twilight." Sunset said as she attempted another clumsy bow.

"Sunset, what have I said." Twilight said.

Sunset smirked as she stood again. "Sorry, Twilight."

"I'll leave ya'll to it." Applejack said as she quickly trotted to her other friends.

"I wanted to talk to you." Twilight said as she dropped her commanding tone.

"What's up?" Sunset asked.

"I just wanted to apologize for earlier." Twilight said. "Seeing you like that... it reminded me of a promise that... I didn't exactly keep. I didn't mean to run off like that though. I'm sorry."

"Don't worry about it, Twilight." Sunset said. "Everyone has pretty much clued me in on the fact that you've had a rough year. I understand if having a new tenant kind of doesn't help the stress factor."

"That's not important." Twilight said quickly. "I am the Princess of Friendship, and so far, I've not been a very good friend to you. Fluttershy reminded me of why it's important to stop wallowing in self-pity and pay attention to your friends... I hope you can forgive me."

Sunset smiled and placed her hoof gently on the alicorn's back. "Of course I can." she said. "Since I arrived in your world, you've been a good friend to me, you've just got a lot on your plate."

Twilight's horn began to glow as she levitated two glasses of punch from a nearby table to the two mares. "Here." she said, passing one to Sunset. "To a new start?" she asked as she extended her glass to Sunset.

Sunset grinned again as she nodded and clinked her glass to Twilight's. "A new start." she confirmed before drinking deeply.


Rainbow stared at Twilight and Sunset, each smiling at the other, and she felt a smile build on her own face. "You okay?" a voice asked from beside her. Rainbow's smile fell slightly before she nodded. "Are you sure?" the voice asked. "You don't seem to be as happy as you normally are."

"I'm fine, Pinkie." Rainbow said as she turned to face her friend. "I'm just glad those two are actually talking." she said.

"I hope they can at-least be friends." Pinkie said.

"Me too." Rainbow sighed as she took another drink.

Rainbow drank deeply as she stared at the two mares, finally having a conversation about... well, probably about nothing, but she was glad. The two didn't need to talk about anything serious, they just needed to stop seeing each other as the princess and the doppelganger and start seeing each other as normal mares, or even friends.

"Do you think they'll be okay?" Pinkie asked as she sipped from a glass. "I mean, I'm sure they will be and everything, but do you think they'll be able to be friends or-"

"Pinkie?" Rainbow interrupted.

"Yeah?"

"Drink your punch."

"Okay."


After all of the party-goers had cleared out, Sunset Shimmer had taken it upon herself to clear the room. Luckily for her, Pinkie Pie had taken most of her party supplies home with her and Sunset was left with dishes and a few napkins to take care of. Twilight had declared the need for a bath and left as soon as Sunset had started cleaning. She smiled and hummed to herself as she worked, oblivious to the fact that there was second pony who had entered the room.

"So, you truly are living with young Twilight?" a voice asked from behind Sunset. The voice was soothing, and seemed to emanate some unnatural tranquility.

Sunset turned to face the owner of the amazing voice before her jaw dropped. The pony in front of her looked nothing like the ponies she had met so far. This particular pony stood a foot or so taller than Sunset. Her coat was almost marble white with a mane and tail that shimmered like Rainbows, flowing in ethereal winds. Sunset knew who this pony was from several recounting tales from Rainbow Dash. This was the ruler of the country she now found herself in.

Sunset dropped into her most clumsy and awkward bow yet, her horn meeting the floor shortly before her muzzle. "Princess Celestia!" she cried on impact, not entirely sure of how to react to the most prominent ruler of her new world standing six feet away from her.

The large sun goddess giggled as she used her magic to prostrate her newest citizen. "There is no need for that, my little pony." she said softly. "This is a casual visit, Sunset."

"Yes, your highness." Sunset said quietly.

"Young spike sent me a letter filling me in on everything that has recently transpired." Princess Celestia explained. "I simply came to check in on my student and her new friend."

"Twilight's in the bath." Sunset blurted awkwardly. "I was cleaning and she took a bath."

Celestia lightly laughed once more. "I'm well aware." she said. "Twilight has this odd habit of leaving a towel by whatever book she happens to be reading when she takes a bath. I believe it is because she has ruined them before by not adequately drying her coat before picking it back up."

"Oh." Sunset said simply.

"Truly, I wanted to meet you." Celestia said as she stepped closer to the small unicorn. "It's a pleasure." Celestia said as she extended her hoof.

Sunset reached forward and (somehow) grasped the offered hoof in a firm shake. "Nice to meet you, your highness." she said. "Although, from the stories Rainbow Dash has told me, I feel like I already know you pretty well."

"I could say the same." the princess said with a hint of mischief in her eyes. "Has my student been treating you well?"

"She has." Sunset said immediately. "I mean, we had a rocky start... but, I think that's mostly my fault... she learned about... something that happened in the other world, and I don't think she fully trusts me yet, but we're getting there."

"Well, I'm glad that she's warming up to you." Princess Celestia said softly. "I know how rough she's had it, so it's probably best that you give her time to adjust."

"I will, princess." Sunset said softly. "I really like Twilight, and I hope we can get closer... maybe even become friends..."

"I think that would be wonderful, Sunset Shimmer." Princess Celestia said. "I believe a house-guest like you will do my young student a world of good."

"Really?" Sunset asked, before questioning the safety of questioning a ruling leader of a new country.

"I do." Celestia said. "I have a fair idea of what she's going through, but in time, I believe that she will come to value you closely, as she does all of her friends."

"I hope so." Sunset said softly. "I really like Twilight, and I feel like she's already so important to me. She saved my life, your highness, and that's not something I intend to take lightly..."

"I understand." the alicorn said. "I've been more like a second mother to Twilight than a teacher these past few years." she explained. "I have seen her go through many trials, and affect the hearts of those around her drastically. Still, I do believe that what happened one year ago was one of the greatest trials she's ever faced." The princess sighed as she turned her gaze to the unicorn before her. "That is why I wanted to ask you a favor, Sunset Shimmer."

"Anything, princess." Sunset said hastily.

"I'm not asking this favor as a princess." Celestia said calmly. "More as a concerned guardian. I want you to keep an eye on my Twilight." she spoke softly as she made her request, and Sunset noticed the slight crease in her brow as she spoke again. "I know that she hasn't been right in a year now, and for some reason, I feel as if you could help her get past what happened. I think that the closer the two of you grow, the more Twilight will begin to behave like her old self."

"I promise." Sunset said. "Even though it's only been a day or so... I really like Twilight. She's saved my life, given me food and shelter, and I've done nothing in return. I want to help her, because I can see just how much she's still hurting and I don't like it..."

"I'm glad." Celestia said. "I hope you realize how much it means to me that you're going to try to help Twilight learn how to be happy again."

"It's the least I can do." Sunset sighed, "Besides, I like Twilight. Isn't it natural to want to see her happy?"

"Very much so." the princess nodded. "But, don't forget about your own happiness while you're here." she warned. "I've seen it happen before. A pony who cared so much about making another happy that she allowed herself to be hurt over and over again. Don't let that happen to yourself, alright?"

Sunset smiled at the alicorn. "I won't." she said. "I would also ask that you keep an eye on the elements of harmony as well. I've sensed much turmoil from a few of them during our last conversations and I fear they could also use a dear friend to help ease whatever burdens they are hiding from me."

"I will, Princess." Sunset said as she resisted the urge to attempt another bow, mainly because she now knew just how sensitive a horn could be.

"There are few in this land that I can call friend, Sunset Shimmer." Princess Celestia said quietly. "I hope to, one day soon, count you among them."

"I think I would like that, your highness." Sunset replied.

"Thank you, for everything." the alicorn said. "Now, if you will excuse me, I would like to find Twilight and speak to her as well."

"I think she's still in the bath, your highness." Sunset said.

Sunset had meant to politely deter the princess from barging in on her fellow princess in the tub, however Celestia merely smiled, nodded, and said a quick, "Thank you." before walking away.

Sunset wondered briefly if it was perfectly normal for ponies to be in the same room as one another while they bathed, before she remembered that she had yet to see one wear clothes. She supposed if nudity wasn't an issue, then bathing would be no different.


Princess Celestia sighed as she slowly walked through the halls of Twilight's castle. She was one of the few ponies who could understand the pain that Twilight was currently feeling. It had hurt, to speak to a mare who resembled the young filly she had taken under her wing years ago. To see that innocent smile once more had almost been enough to break the aged alicorn's resolve, but it had been worth it. She had missed her young student more than she had ever thought possible, and after she had left Twilight a year before, Celestia had once again felt the pain of losing her.

Now she had returned, to bring Twilight the same happiness she had before, and to ease the mind of an old mare.

Celestia shook her head. No, she couldn't think of her like that. This was not a replacement for Sunset Shimmer. This was an opportunity to help a young mare from another world.

The solar princess ascended the stairs towards her most faithful student as she slowly shed her ruler's facade. She wouldn't greet Twilight today as a ruler, but as a trusted mentor and friend. She allowed her chin to droop, but only slightly as she slowly dispelled her regalia.


Twilight was blowing bubbles in the bath. It had been one of her more childish vices for whenever she was feeling particularly stressed. It had hurt her to attempt to bond with Sunset, but it had been necessary.

Another bubble floated to the ceiling and Twilight allowed herself a small giggle as she watched it rise.

"This is a sight I haven't seen in many years..." A soft voice said from beside the door.

"Princess Celestia?" Twilight asked as she lowered herself further in the bath. "What are you doing here? Where's your crown?"

"I did not come here as a princess today, Twilight." Celestia said with a warm smile. "I came here as a friend... word reached me of your newest visitor and I assumed you could use another friend." Celestia smiled at her young student as she slowly stepped into the large bath with Twilight. "That... and it has been a year since we last spoke..."

Twilight blushed and hung her head. "I am sorry," she mumbled. "I haven't really stopped to talk to anyone in the past year..."

Celestia's smile never faltered as she began to run soap in her young friend's coat. "I am not here to make you feel guilty, Twilight. I just wanted to spend some time with you."

"You didn't have to join me in the bath, though." Twilight mumbled. "I would have gotten out if I had known you were here."

"I am aware." Celestia giggled. "However, it is days like today when I long to see you as that young filly I used to help bathe after her experiments became messy. Please, humor an old mare..."

"Sure." Twilight mumbled and leaned her back into her former teacher. "After all, it's days like today that make me long to still be that little filly getting a bath from you and a lecture from my old teachers."

"I have been worried about you, Twilight." Celestia said. "Our last conversation-"

"Was selfish of me." Twilight blurted. "I should never have said those things to you."

"You were right..." Celestia said. "About everything..."


Twilight threw another book at the open doorway. She watched as the book bounced against the hard stone with a thunk and landed in a large pile of its predecessors on the ground. Tears streamed down her face as the fresh memory of Sunset's departure rang in her mind.

Just as Twilight grabbed another book, a loud POP behind her altered her to a teleportation spell in her library. "Twilight..." Celestia gasped as her students rampage was revealed to her eyes. "What has happened?"

"They didn't tell you?" Twilight growled as she threw the book, her back still to the alicorn behind her. "Your little 'gift' finally became a curse."

"Whatever do you mean?" Celestia asked.

Twilight ignored her and grabbed the entire bookshelf in her magic, but she found no satisfaction in the loud crash or the large cracks in the crystalline door. "You didn't warn me..." Twilight whispered, her voice low and cold. "You didn't tell me about the alicorn's curse."

"Twilight, I-"

"You didn't tell me that no matter what, I couldn't die!" Twilight screamed in fury. "You didn't tell me that I couldn't even be murdered or kill myself! Trust me, I've tried! You didn't tell me that I had no choice in the immortality! You didn't even give me a choice in the matter! You just selfishly slapped a pair of wings on me, so you wouldn't feel so alone anymore, didn't you?!" Twilight spun on the princess and Celestia could finally see the anger in her eyes, but she also saw the pain there. "I had to leave her, because you were too selfish to let me go!"

"Twilight, please-"

"You don't have any kids and I never stopped to wander why, but then? After she left... I found out. You can't have any! That's why you picked me! You wanted a pony that you practically raised yourself, so you could have a child forever! You didn't stop to think of my feelings, or my birth parents, or even the friends that I've made! Sweet little Celestia, just didn't want to be alone anymore!"

Celestia's calm demeanor cracked as the final words of Twilight's tirade fell upon her, and a few stray tears fell down her cheeks. "Twilight..."

"Just leave..." Twilight sighed, her tears continuing to spill as she once again turned her back to her former teacher. "I don't think I can talk to you anymore..."

Celestia sniffed once before light engulfed her body, starting at her horn. "Whatever you wish, Twilight..."


"I still regret ever saying any of that to you..." Twilight whispered as she watched her tears spill into the bath water.

"I know." Celestia hummed as she shampooed Twilight's mane. "I received all four hundred of your letters and responded to them all, but-" a heavy sigh. "you were right. I wanted you to be an alicorn, because you deserved the role, and because I knew that you would be the greatest princess that Equestria could hope for, but... I also couldn't bare to lose you. I should have told you of the consequences and I certainly should have taken your desires into consideration..."

"Princess Celestia... I don't blame you..." Twilight sniffed. "I'm not upset with you anymore... if I'm being honest with myself... I never was to begin with."

"I know that. I knew it then too." Celestia murmured. "It only hurt me so much, because you were right. I love you as my own, Twilight, and I couldn't risk you saying 'no' to becoming an alicorn, because I didn't want to lose you."

"You won't anymore." Twilight sighed as she rolled in the bath and wrapped her hooves around her teacher. "Cause you have been like a mom to me, and I don't want to lose my mom again."

Twilight buried her head in Celestia's coat and cried as Celestia's tears fell upon her young students mane. "I love you, Celestia." Twilight whispered.

"I love you too, my child."

Author's Note:

Well, it looks like it's been almost a year... I'm trying to get better about these chapters, but I just want this to be as close to perfect as I can possibly get it. Sorry, that its taking me so long. But, here are another eight thousand words for you guys and I'm going to start on the next chapter just as soon as I finish typing this AN I promise.

As usual feel free to leave thoughts and comments of all shapes and sizes.

Comments ( 16 )

OH, thank you for another chapter. :twilightsmile:

Wasn't Sunset bleeding and injured after her little collision with Scootaloo last chapter?

But, don't forget about your own happiness while you're here." she warned. "I've seen it happen before. A pony who cared so much about making another happy that she allowed herself to be hurt over and over again.

I have a feeling this may be a clue to what happened.

I'm glad you're continuing this. It's an intriguing story.

8186551 Thank you for the comment. :twilightsmile:

8186729 She was, but I should have clarified that all that happened was it irritated her wounds. She's fine.

8186882 Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. You guys are always so inquisitive and I love it. Thanks so much. :pinkiehappy:

I'm liking this. :twilightsmile:

My only real gripe is that tiptoeing around the P-Sunset has led to some pretty repetitive dialogue at times.

That Momlestia and Twi moment had me tearing up there. Great job. :heart:

8187103 You could be right. Or you could be wrong. Doesn't stop me from loving this comment. :twilightsmile:

8189443 Thank you very much. :twilightsmile:

8187525 And that's a very fair point. I'm planning on having the next few chapters focus away from P-Sunset, so hopefully that will be a break in the repetitive tropes for now. :twilightsheepish:

Read the final posted chapter as of now. I am still going with my theory even moreso now, but it doesn't stop me from wanting to see how this plays out and if I am completely wrong or not.

I hope this gets updated soon because I really like this story. I am also hoping that there isn't a love triangle going to happen. I'm not against Rainbow liking Twilight or Sunset, it's just I would rather have Twilight and Sunset get together and have Fluttershy (if she likes Rainbow) and Rainbow get together. But that's just my opinion. Still a great story though.

Omg I loved this story so much... It's so adorable!! Even if it doesn't get finished, I'm pleased I've read this.

Really Interesting story 🤔
I wonder what sunset have done ..

The plot of the break up thickens 🤔

Login or register to comment