• Published 4th Apr 2015
  • 17,115 Views, 5,068 Comments

The Iron Horse: Everything's Better With Robots! - The Hat Man



A cute robot pony. A mysterious origin. A princess who believes anyone can learn friendship, even a cold, logical machine. A journey begins...

  • ...
30
 5,068
 17,115

PreviousChapters Next
Apple Computer, Part 1

The setting sun bathed the orchard in its soft, warm glow. A crisp autumn breeze blew through the branches of the apple trees, causing the heavy apples weighing down the boughs to sway gently. A few apples fell to the ground, released from their branches by the gentle gust.

Moving through this orchard, a single earth pony wearing a weathered brown hat approached one of the trees. Her breath came in ragged gasps, but she ignored her body’s demands that she stop to rest. Instead, she turned her back to the tree and gave it a powerful buck. The force of her strike shook the tree, commanding it to release its crimson bounty. The apples rained down, dropping into the buckets with a brief, drumming staccato.

Loud as it was, the drumming could only just mask the sound of the mare gasping as pain sliced through her body. Her legs demanded that she stop, buckling under her, but she refused to listen. She stood back up. She was not done yet. She rubbed her hip, tenderly massaging it, even as her breath came in long, shaky drafts.

She should have gone back an hour ago. She knew that. Even so, she had worked late before. Her family was counting on her; they would still be there and they would not think much of her making the most of the day’s light before the night fell. They would greet her with smiles and commend her for her determination.

They would be proud.

She’d done it before. Time and again, she’d done it to get ahead of her personal quota, to do more than was required for the day. But this time… this time she was behind.

She took one last, deep breath and went over to the next tree. “Two more,” she whispered. “Just two more and I’ll head in for the day.”

The tree loomed before her, seeming larger than the last. Yet it held so many apples. Apples that, if not bucked soon, would drop to the ground and begin to rot. They would be wasted, all simply because she had not been there to collect them.

“Like hay I’ll let that happen,” she muttered to herself, narrowing her eyes. She turned away from the tree, looking over her shoulder to make sure she was lined up correctly, and steeled herself as she kicked her hind legs out again.

The apples rained down again, but this time the sound was not loud enough to conceal her cry of pain. Had anypony been around, they would certainly have heard her.

She clenched her teeth and shut her eyes tight, forcing back the tears before they could be shed. That dull ache was gone, and in its place was a sharp, stabbing pain that felt like she’d been skewered through the flanks with a lance.

One more! she told herself. Just one more and then I can stop!

She nodded, as if obeying her own mental command, but her own body was fighting her. She could hardly stand, but Applejack ignored her protesting limbs and pushed forward, forcing herself to walk.

“I ain’t leavin’,” she growled, though it came almost as a groan. She paused for a moment, her barrel heaving, her head throbbing, her vision blurring, her hips practically screaming, as she eyed the next tree. “Not until I’m finished! I… I carry my own weight! Now let’s buck this here tree and go home!”

The sweat was beading on her forehead and pouring off her body. But she ignored the pain, ignored her fatigue, and took aim at the last tree. Her quota would be met, no matter the cost.

She raised her hind legs up one final time and planted them hard against the trunk.

Something popped.

Her eyes went wide. Her voice stuck in her throat as a silent scream took hold. Her legs gave out, and she collapsed the ground as roughly as the apples she was collecting.

She tried to stand. She failed.

With a groan that was more a whimper than anything, she tried again, but once again her legs failed her and she hit the ground, almost as hard as the first time.

“H… h-help…” The feeble sound was barely a whisper. She took a deep breath, mustering her strength and ignoring the awful, hideous pain that set her lower half on fire.

She screamed. Loud and hard, with all her might, she screamed for help. She called names, she begged, she pleaded.

At first, there was nothing, not the sound of hooves galloping to her aid, not the panicked cries of her kin, calling to see if she was alright.

But then it came: the strong, hurried thundering of her brother’s hooves as he barreled down the orchard’s row. She could see him now, as he came into view. He called for her, but it was all muffled. She couldn’t understand his shouts, but she could tell that they were worried.

It was then that the tears came. From the pain at first, yet also from relief, and then from something else; that terrible gnawing fear that had stalked her these last few months. Now, at last, it had finally caught her.

“No,” she whispered, sobbing face down into the grass. “No… no… no…”

***

Twilight briskly moved up the hallway at Ponyville General Hospital the next morning. Spike was right behind her, and the pair of them skidded to a halt when they spotted the room number the receptionist at the front desk had given them.

Twilight knocked lightly on the door and heard small hooves clattering on the other side. The door opened slightly and she saw Apple Bloom peek out.

“Oh, Twilight, yer here,” the little filly said, sighing with relief. She turned her head slightly and saw Spike. “Guess ya found her for me, Spike. Thanks!”

“Sure thing,” Spike said, nodding.

Spike had been walking over to the Quills and Sofas store on his usual errand when he’d encountered Apple Bloom. She was looking for Twilight, but Spike had agreed to deliver her message and get Twilight instead. And that message was simple: “Applejack’s in the hospital!”

Now that Spike had retrieved Twilight and the pair of them had arrived, Apple Bloom’s relief was plain to see, but so were the dark circles under her eyes, and Twilight realized that the girl probably hadn’t slept well the previous night.

“Come on in,” Apple Bloom said, opening the door and beckoning them inside. “Applejack, Twilight an’ Spike are here!”

“That’s a relief,” Applejack said. Her voice was surprisingly clear and when Twilight saw her, she was happy to see that her friend looked surprisingly energetic and alert. Granny Smith, Big Mac, and Dr. Stable were standing next to the hospital bed where Applejack lay.

Applejack was sitting up in bed and she wore a warm smile. Her hat was hung on a coat rack next to the bed and she wore a pale blue-green hospital gown, but she looked, for lack of a better word, normal.

“Wow, Applejack, you look really good for a pony in the hospital!” Spike said, voicing Twilight’s sentiment before she could.

“Yeah,” Twilight agreed. “I was worried you were really hurt, but you look fine!”

“Aw, thanks, Spike. An’ fer the record, Twilight, I am fine!” Applejack said, raising her chin proudly.

“The hay you are!” Granny Smith shouted, glaring at her granddaughter and startling them all with that sudden outburst. “Ya darn near gave me a heart attack an’ ya worried yer brother an’ sister sick, puttin’ yerself in the hospital like that!”

Big Mac merely gave an annoyed grunt in agreement.

“Uh, yeah,” Applejack said, blushing slightly as she rubbed the back of her neck. “I guess I overdid things a little last night.”

“Which, I might add,” Dr. Stable said, raising an eyebrow at her, “is exactly what I told you not to do.”

Twilight blinked. “Um, I’m sorry, but am I missing something?”

Apple Bloom opened her mouth. “Applejack’s got--”

“Apple Bloom, hush!” Applejack snapped.

“Now, you listen here, young missy!” Granny Smith said, stomping one hoof. “Ya done got everypony worried, now yer gonna tell Twilight what’s goin’ on or else one o’ us will do it fer ya!”

“All right, all right!” Applejack said, raising her hooves defensively. “I just… look, can ya give me a moment? I’d like to tell Twilight an’ Spike in private, if ya don’t mind.”

The other three Apples looked to each other, communicating their mutual thoughts in their expressions. At last, they looked to her and Big McIntosh gave a short nod. “Eeyup,” he said.

“Don’t worry, Applejack,” Apple Bloom added. “I’m sure Twilight can help.”

“I… I’m sure she can,” Applejack said quietly, giving her a smile.

“Well, come on then, everypony,” Granny Smith said. Then she took on a sly grin and rubbed her chin as she eyed Dr. Stable. “Uh, say, Doc, can ya help a lady find the pharmacy around here? Might as well get Applejack’s new medicine while we’re steppin’ out.”

“Oh, uh, yes. Certainly,” he said, walking out with the Apples.

“Mmm, tell me, Doc, are you single?”

“Ye-- no!” he said hurriedly, looking helplessly over his shoulder as Granny Smith walked out with him, shoulder-to-shoulder. Apple Bloom and Big Mac just snickered to each other.

“Hoo boy,” Applejack muttered, chuckling as she watched the poor doctor be led away before the group shut the door behind them.

“Okay, Applejack,” Twilight said softly, placing her hoof on Applejack’s, “what’s wrong?”

Applejack heaved a sigh. “Twilight… I’ve got Bucker’s Hips.”

Twilight and Spike blinked in unison, looked at each other, then back to Applejack, staring at her blankly.

“Ugh,” Applejack said, rubbing her forehead. “Right. Y’all both come from Canterlot. Ya didn’t grow up with a lot o’ farmin’ earth ponies around, I guess.”

“Are you kidding?” Spike asked, laughing and thumbing a claw in Twilight’s direction. “Twilight here used to think eggplants actually hatched from eggs when she was a filly!”

Twilight’s cheeks flushed and she glared at Spike. “And you thought gems grew on trees!”

“The point,” Applejack said sharply, cutting off the pair’s argument, “is that you two ain’t ever heard of it. Bucker’s Hips is a thing farm ponies get from buckin’ trees all day. It’s generic.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow. “It’s what?”

“You know, one o’ them things that runs in the family?”

Ah. ‘Genetic,’ Twilight told herself, but settled on not correcting her. “So, what are the symptoms? And does it have a cure or a treatment?”

“Well, it makes yer joints swell up and it hurts like the dickens. As fer a cure, there ain’t one. The Doc gave me some good meds when they hauled me in here last night, though, an’ there are some pills I’ve been takin’, but the problem is that the only way to really keep it under control is to just quit apple buckin’ so much.”

Spike snapped his claws. “I’ve got it!” he exclaimed. “Why don’t you just buck the trees with your front legs!”

Applejack shook her head. “You can shake the trees that way instead of buckin’, but it takes a lot longer. If ya try buckin’ it and miss, though, yer liable to just split yer noggin right open.”

Twilight tapped her chin. “So, wait, you said you need to quit bucking trees ‘so much.’ You mean that you can still do it, but you just need to do it less?” She smiled. “That doesn’t sound so bad!”

She rolled her eyes. “Tch. You sound just like Dr. Stable, Twi.”

She glanced out the window, remembering when she’d first been diagnosed months ago.

“Applejack, you buck trees during bucking season for up to twelve hours a day,” he’d said. “Nopony else in town works that hard, and even most of the apple farmers I know take a long break every so often. You’re pushing your body too hard!”

“But this is what I gotta do to support my family!” she’d shot back. “What am I supposed to do?”

“You don’t have to stop completely. Just buck less trees!” he’d shouted. “Finish earlier or hire more help! Is that really so hard?”

She heaved a sigh. Harder than ya think, doc. She turned back to Twilight. “Look, I’ll just level with ya. The truth is, we didn’t have as good a year as I was hopin’. We had lots o’ expenses dealin’ with one thing after another. I mean, do you know how many times the dang barn’s been destroyed an’ rebuilt this last year?”

Twilight looked up and ran her tongue around her cheek. “Four?” she asked.

“Uh, yeah, actually.” She shook her head. “Look, the point is that if we don’t take in one more good apple harvest before winter hits, we’re gonna have to tighten our belts extra hard come next year. Too many o’ those, an’ things’ll start lookin’ pretty bleak fer Sweet Apple Acres.”

Twilight nodded. “I see. But Applejack, you could have asked us for help. I would have thought that after last time, you’d be okay with asking us--”

“It wasn’t that I didn’t wanna ask,” Applejack said softly. “I mean, it was, but not fer the same reason.” She swallowed, her frown deepening. “Look, there was still time to pull in the crop. I figured if I just met a quota, we’d be okay. But this darn case o’ Bucker’s Hips kept slowin’ me down. An’ this wasn’t even that much! Even less than what I did every day last year!”

Twilight laid her hoof on Applejack’s, and Spike came around the other side of the bed to hold her other hoof.

“Don’t worry, AJ,” Spike said quietly, patting Applejack’s hoof. “We’ll figure this out.”

Twilight nodded, smiling at her. “Spike’s right. Listen, let’s figure out how to finish this harvest, and then you can heal up, recover, and be back to bucking apples next season.”

Applejack’s lip quivered, but she managed a laugh and wiped her eyes. “Ah, pony feathers… yer right, Twilight. I just didn’t want everypony in town to go around pityin’ me. I also didn’t wanna ask y’all two years in a row, but I ain’t too proud to admit when I’m in over my head. Would y’all ask the rest of the gang to come help?”

Twilight bit her lip. “The rest of us? Umm…”

Applejack tilted her head. “What? What is it?”

“See, the thing is…” she began, trailing off.

Spike sighed. “Pinkie’s babysitting the Cake twins all week, Fluttershy is helping Tree Hugger collect some rare mushrooms or something, Rarity’s at the Canterlot Boutique to talk business with Sassy Saddles,” he said, ticking off their friends one by one on his claws, “and Rainbow Dash got a call as a Wonderbolt Reserve to perform in the Annual Reserves Showcase, so she’s off practicing with the other recruits. Oh, and now that I think about it, Twilight has--”

“Spike, that isn’t important!” Twilight exclaimed, waving a hoof dismissively. “Applejack needs our help right now!”

Spike nodded, but Applejack’s gaze turned stony. “Twilight… what was he about to say?”

“Oh, uh… it’s nothing that you need to worry about.”

“Too late. I’m already worryin’.” She leaned closer, raising her eyebrow. “Now what is it?”

“Well,” Twilight said, looking away. “It’s a conference at the Crystal Empire to discuss the influx of new commerce and travel between Equestria and Yakyakistan.”

Applejack’s eyes widened. “That sounds important.”

“No! Well, yes, but--”

“The yaks wanted Twilight there since she’s the one that helped make friends with Prince Rutherford,” Spike explained.

Applejack sighed. “Go to the conference, Twilight.” Then she smiled. “You know them yaks ain’t exactly even-tempered when things don’t go their way, so you best not disappoint ‘em.”

“But Applejack, I could help you!”

“Much as I appreciate the sentiment,” she said, crossing her forehooves, “I can’t ask you to put me an’ the farm before Equestria, especially not after all the work we all did tryin’ to please those yaks.”

Spike stood ramrod straight, as if at attention. “Then at least let me help! As an honorable dragon, I--”

“No, no, that’s mighty nice o’ ya, Spike,” Applejack said quickly, holding out her hoof. “But Twi’s gonna need her number one assistant. An’ - no offense - yer way better at bein’ her assistant than ya are at bein’ a farmhoof. Farmclaw. Whatever ya call it.”

Spike drooped at that, but he couldn’t deny it. “Well, all right. But what are you gonna do instead?”

She sighed. “I dunno, Spike. I guess I’ll just have to hire more workers. It’ll take time and a bite out o’ the profits, but maybe we’ll just make it into the black this year anyhow.”

Twilight shut her eyes, scratching the side of her head. “There’s got to be a way. If only… if only… oh!” Her eyes lit up, but then she froze as Applejack looked at her hopefully.

“What is it, Twi? Did ya come up with some kinda magic solution or something like that?”

Twilight looked away. “Um… not a magical solution so much as a… technological solution.”

Applejack blinked. Then Twilight’s meaning dawned on her and her eyes bulged.

“Oh. Her.”

“Now, Applejack, I know you two haven’t gotten along, b-but you said you’d spend time with her,” Twilight said, speaking frantically, “and she can learn how to apple buck in no time, she won’t get tired, and she can move so fast that I just know she could help you!”

Applejack grinned. “Look, I didn’t say no, Twilight.” She sighed. “I mean, every time I see her, she’s a little more like a pony an’ less like that thing we found in the orchard. I guess she’s learnin’ all kinds o’ things now, right?”

“Oh!” Twilight exclaimed, smiling when she heard Applejack’s receptiveness. “Yes, she has learned lots of things! She’s learned more humor, she can feel affection now, and last week she even learned how to lie!” Twilight froze the instant she said that.

Applejack’s eyes narrowed. “Did she now?”

“I… I can explain…”

Applejack leaned back in bed, putting her forehooves behind her head. “I’m listenin’, sugarcube.”

***

Applejack tossed and turned in bed. She’d been released from the hospital and her family had walked her home earlier that afternoon. Apple Bloom had rushed on ahead and kicked every single minor obstruction out of the road, lest Applejack trip over it, and warned her about every slight change in elevation or root growing in the way.

“Applejack, look out!” Apple Bloom screamed, pushing Applejack out of the way to throw her own body over some unseen danger.

“What? What is it?!” she’d shouted back.

“I just stopped ya from slippin’ on this!” Apple Bloom declared. She’d held up a dry, brown leaf in her hoof.

“Apple Bloom, that’s a dead leaf,” she’d said.

“More like a deadly leaf!” Apple Bloom replied, crushing the offending leaf to powder between her hooves.

Applejack grunted, punching her pillow at the memory. The very idea of Apple Bloom treating her with more care and concern than Granny Smith while walking her home of all things was ridiculous.

Nonetheless, she plopped down on the pillow, pulling the bedsheets around her tightly as she shut her eyes. Slowly, bit by bit, she let her anxiety leave her and felt sleep begin to overtake her.

Knock-knock-knock.

Her eyes popped open. The hay was that? she asked herself. Did she imagine it?

Knock-knock-knock.

She went to her bedroom door. She opened it, but there was nothing but the dark and empty hallway.

Knock-knock-knock.

Applejack knew she wasn’t imagining it. The rhythmic knocking was coming at regular intervals and she followed the sound downstairs and right to her front door. She opened it to see a pair of glowing violet eyes staring right back at her.

“Uwah!” she shouted.

“Good morning, Applejack,” Turing Test said. “I am here to assist you as you requested.”

Applejack clutched her chest. “Good gravy, ya scared the living daylights outta me!”

“I do not detect any luminescence leaving your body, living or otherwise, Applejack, but I apologize for frightening you.”

“That ain’t-- what the hay are you doing here?!”

“I am the hay here to assist you with your harvest.”

“What? Do you have any idea what time it is?!” Applejack shouted.

“It is 12:01 am. Wait… now it is 12:02 am. I can switch to maritime designations if you prefer.”

Applejack blinked. “It’s the middle of the night. Why. Are. You. Here. Now?” she said slowly through her gritted teeth.

“You. Told. Twilight. Sparkle. That--”

“Stop talkin’ like that!”

“I apologize. I thought you wanted to.” She bowed her head slightly before continuing. “You told Twilight Sparkle to inform me that I was to begin my task ‘first thing tomorrow.’ I arrived in time to knock on your door at midnight. It was the first thing I did today, fulfilling your request.”

Applejack blinked. “Are you pullin’ my leg?”

Turing’s ears twitched, and she looked down at Applejacks’ leg. “I am not. If you believe I am, then perhaps you are still under the influence of your medica--”

“Go home and come back tomor-- no, no, I mean… come back today at… I dunno, 7:30?”

Turing Test nodded, her neck whirring as she did so. “Understood. I will be here at that time. I apologize for any confusion.”

“Yeah, yeah, just… ugh, don’t be late, all right?”

“Acknowledged.”

“I guess that’s Fancy fer ‘Yes,’ so see ya then.” Applejack shut the door in Turing Test’s face and trudged back through the house.

Big Mac and Apple Bloom had both poked their heads out of their rooms and were peeking down the hallway.

“Applejack, what was all that shoutin’ about?” Apple Bloom asked. “You were so loud, ya almost woke up Granny Smith!”

“Eeyup!” Big Mac said, jerking his head at Granny’s door (behind which there came the long, steady sound of snoring).

“Nothin’ y’all need to worry about,” Applejack grumbled before yawning.

“Oh!” Apple Bloom said, rushing to her sister’s side. “Are ya sure ya don’t need anything? Maybe ya shouldn’t be outta bed!”

“I’m fine, I’m fine!” Applejack snapped, whirling on the little filly. “Just leave me alone and go back to sleep!”

She stomped into her room and shut the door before jumping back into bed.

This has gotta be the dumbest idea I’ve ever agreed to, she told herself, throwing the covers back over herself. That dang robot… workin’ the farm? More trouble than it’s worth!

***

Apple Bloom was the last to get to the breakfast table. She was allowed to sleep in a little later while Granny cooked breakfast and her siblings fed the animals and collected the eggs and milk. The little filly trotted up to the table where her family was already seated and licked her lips at the sight of the bowl of grits along with a plate of eggs and some steamed vegetables.

“This looks great, Granny!” Apple Bloom exclaimed, digging in.

“Oh, it ain’t nothin’ special, but yer welcome anyway, dear,” Granny Smith replied, giving her a smile.

“I just wish ya hadn’t used these here vegetables,” Applejack muttered. “I mean, they’re great, but maybe just some simple hay woulda done the trick.”

“Oh hush now, ya gotta keep yer strength up, Applejack,” Granny Smith said, putting another helping in front of her.

Applejack sighed, but dug in anyway. There was no point in not eating it now that it had already been cooked, after all. “Thanks Granny,” she managed to say between bites. Then she glanced up at the clock. In just a few minutes, it would be 7:30.

“Now, before we get the day started, do y’all remember what I told ya about the help we’re gettin’ today?” Applejack asked, tapping on the table to get her family’s attention.

“Eeyup!” Big Mac replied.

“Sure do!” Apple Bloom said before taking a huge bite of grits.

“Yes indeedy!” Granny Smith added. “An’ I can’t wait to meet this Robert feller ya hired.”

The three younger Apples all stifled their chuckles.

“No, Granny,” Applejack said, rolling her eyes, “it ain’t nopony named ‘Robert.’ I said it’s a she, an’ her name is Turing Test. An’ I said she’s a ‘robot,’ not ‘Robert.’”

“You gone crazy? Why’d you hire a rowboat?!”

“No, she’s a robot!”

“What the hay’s a robot?”

Applejack groaned, burying her face in her hooves. “Like I was sayin’ yesterday, she’s--”

Knock-knock-knock.

“--here, apparently.” She sighed and got up from the table to go to the door. The rest of the family followed her.

Now just be nice, Applejack told herself. She’s here to help, after all, an’ she ain’t a bad pony. She saved four o’ yer friends from those two crazy ponies back on Nightmare Night, an’ everypony else seems to like her well enough. So don’t look a robot in the mouth an’ show some manners.

She took a deep breath and opened the door, putting on her best smile.

“Mornin’, Turing Test!” Applejack said.

“Good morning, Applejack,” Turing Test said, bowing slightly. “I timed my arrival to occur at 7:30. However, that time is synchronized to Twilight Sparkle’s clock which is in turn synchronized to the Ponyville Clocktower. If you wished for me to arrive at your own clock’s time, then perhaps I should wait outside or apologize for arriving late.”

“No, no, yer fine,” Applejack said, keeping her smile in place. “Come on in an’ meet the family. Though I guess ya already know Apple Bloom.”

“Correct,” Turing Test said, stepping inside the house. “In fact, I am told that you were the one that suggested taking me to the hospital,” she said to Apple Bloom. “That act may have resulted in me being repaired and taken in by Twilight Sparkle. I am indebted to you and the rest of your family.”

Apple Bloom beamed, but was interrupted by Granny Smith’s loud gasp.

“Ohhh!” Granny Smith said. “So you’re the pony they found in the orchard! Well, ya look dang good! Even got yer armor back on, not that ya need it fer apple buckin’.”

Applejack opened her mouth, but Apple Bloom beat her too it.

“It ain’t armor, Granny,” the little filly said, leaping to Turing’s side. “She’s made outta the stuff! She ain’t any ordinary ol’ pony; she’s a machine pony!”

“She is? Well dang it, why didn’t anypony tell me that!” Granny Smith shouted.

The other three gave another collective eyeroll.

“Aaaanyway, that there’s Granny Smith,” Applejack went on, “an’ this here’s my older brother Big McIntosh. Just Big Mac, fer short.”

“It is very nice to meet you,” Turing said, looking from Granny Smith to Big Mac in turn. “Twilight Sparkle informed me about you as well. Granny Smith, you were instrumental in contributing to the founding of Ponyville.”

“Well, good t’ hear that Twilight is keepin’ ya up on yer history!” Granny Smith said, lifting her chin proudly. “Lemme know if’n ya ever wanna know more about the good ol’ days.”

“Acknowledged,” Turing said, and then turned to Big Mac. “Twilight has also informed me of your strength and dependability. Also, that you have a pleasing singing voice.”

The tall stallion before her actually blushed and looked away slightly. “Heh heh… Eeyup.”

“All right now, everypony, we best get to work. We already lost a day an’ we only got five more ‘til our deadline fer harvest. Apple Bloom, ya best finish breakfast an’ then get t’ school. Big Mac, I’ll see ya in the orchard in a few. Granny, ya best get back t’ managin’ the family budget fer this month. Everypony ready?”

“Ready!” they all shouted in unison.

Applejack turned to Turing Test. “Uh, I’ll be right out, okay?”

“Acknowledged. I will wait by your barn.” She turned to leave as the Apple family waved to her.

Applejack watched and waited until Turing Test was a good distance from the door and then shut it, turning back to her family. “Ok, y’all, now I know she seems kinda strange…”

“She’s not so strange, Applejack!” Apple Bloom said, hopping forward enthusiastically. “She’s funny! An’ she’s real nice fer comin’ here to help! Can me and the other Crusaders come talk to her after school?”

“I… well, we’ll see,” Applejack said slowly, frowning at Apple Bloom’s nonplussed reaction.

“She seems nice enough to me,” Granny Smith said, turning to go back to the kitchen. “Shame though… nice mare like her bein’ named Robert. She’ll have a hard time snaggin’ a stallion with a name like that!”

Applejack’s eye twitched as she watched her go.

“I’m… I’m just gonna go out to the field now, Big Mac. See ya in a bit?”

“Eeyup!” Big Mac said, giving her a nod.

***

Applejack trotted out and found Turing Test standing in front of the barn doors, almost like a sentry that was guarding it.

“Thanks fer waitin’,” Applejack said, giving her a quick nod. “So, ya ready to go get some apples?”

“I am.” Turing Test said.

Applejack smiled and walked to the barn doors, opening them and leading Turing inside. “All right then. Let’s get a couple carts and load ‘em up with some buckets. We’ll need to go place ‘em under the trees to collect the apples when they fall.”

“Understood.” Turing Test entered the barn, noting the dim light and the straw that was strewn all around it. Farming equipment of all kinds was hung on the walls and large bales of hay were stacked in the loft. “How interesting,” she remarked.

“What’s that?” Applejack asked, looking over her shoulder.

“My apologies. This is the first time I have been in a place like this. It is very different from Twilight Sparkle’s residence.”

“Heh,” Applejack chuckled, smirking slightly. “Yeah, it ain’t no castle, that’s fer sure.”

“That is true, but I still find this an interesting place. I anticipate that I will gain a large amount of input from this experience.” She followed Applejack’s lead and began to load stacks of buckets into a nearby wooden cart. She paused, glancing over at Applejack, who likewise stopped and furrowed her brow at the sudden attention.

“Uh, ya need somethin’?” Applejack asked.

“It is not that I require anything,” Turing Test said, “but perhaps I should, as they say, ‘clear the air.’”

Applejack set down the bucket she held and nodded to her. “Okay… what about?”

“Twilight Sparkle has briefed me on many things. I am also aware that you have previously mistrusted me. I do not fault you for that. It is only natural to be protective of your friends.”

Applejack nodded. “All right, then.”

“Furthermore,” Turing continued, “Twilight Sparkle informed me that you were now aware of me recently gaining the ability to lie. She was apprehensive of you having a negative reaction, but I assure you--”

Applejack held up a hoof and shook her head. “Actually, there ain’t no need to worry about that,” she said. “At first, I admit I thought it was just askin’ fer trouble. But the way she talked about what happened over in Trottingham, I kinda came around on it. Now, I ain’t got no patience for liars and tricksters, but there’s a difference between tellin’ the truth only ‘cause ya got no choice an’ tellin’ the truth when a lie would be a heck of a lot easier. I figure the fact that ya chose to tell the truth rather than keep lyin’ just to beat that goofy test they gave ya says a lot about yer character.”

Turing Test placed her hoof on her chest. “I am very happy to hear that, Applejack. It is my hope that we will become friends through this experience.”

“Well, I guess we’ll find out, won’t we?” Applejack said, giving her a grin. “Now that’s enough yammerin’. Let’s load up these carts an’ get ‘em out to the field!”

The two harnessed themselves to their respective carts and Applejack led Turing Test out to the field where row upon row of apple trees awaited them.

“Now, just watch me,” Applejack said, parking the cart by the side of the dirt road that went to the field. “We’re gonna put these buckets out under the trees. Try to get ‘em under the biggest, heaviest lookin’ branches so they can catch the apples when they fall.”

Turing Test nodded and they began to place the buckets.

“Now, how are ya plannin’ to pick the apples?” Applejack asked.

“What method do you find most optimal, Applejack?” Turing Test asked.

“Well, I just buck the trees. Give ‘em a good kick and the apples fall right off. But then again,” she said frowning, looking over Turing Test, “that’s more of an ‘earth pony’ thing. Maybe you should just try shakin’ the trees or usin’ yer magic.”

But Turing Test shook her head at that. “My magic abilities are still far more limited than Twilight Sparkle’s. I am unable to levitate so many objects with sufficient accuracy. Is kicking the trees the most efficient way to harvest?”

“Well, yeah,” Applejack said slowly, her frown deepening. “But there’s a technique to it. Kick it too softly, an’ the trees won’t drop enough an’ you’ll just have to try again. Too hard, like Big Mac did that one time after the other foals at school teased ‘im fer bein’ tall, an’ ya just might damage the tree.” She took a step over to Turing Test and narrowed her eyes. “An’ believe me… I won’t be happy if ya hurt my trees.”

Turing Test nodded. “Perhaps I would benefit from a demonstration?” she said, raising an upturned hoof to Applejack.

“Sure thing, but I gotta warn ya… it takes years to buck like a farm pony like me!” she said, tipping hat with a smug grin.

Turing Test said nothing as Applejack strolled over to the nearest tree. She turned away from it, lined up, and aimed her back hooves at it, giving it a powerful kick. The sound of her hooves slamming into the trunk reverberating throughout the orchard in the calm, crisp morning air, and the apples rained down into the buckets.

Not a single apple was left on the trees, and not a single apple missed the buckets below.

“A very efficient technique, Applejack. However, I require slightly more data.”

Applejack beamed. “Well, I don’t know if I can spend all day teachin’ ya,” she said. “Besides, like I said, it takes years to get it right!”

“I have analyzed your technique, but I believe there is an additional component to it. One moment, please… engaging E-Mode.”

Applejack gave a start as the pistons in Turing’s legs engaged.

“Hold on, now!” she cried, holding up a hoof. “What are ya doin’ that for?”

“In addition to augmenting my physical strength, E-Mode enables me to read expanded biometric data. If you will buck one more tree, then I may be able to extrapolate from additional data.”

Applejack blinked. “I, uh… I don’t really get it, but if it’ll make ya happy, I guess I can oblige.”

She went to the next tree and gave it another solid bucking. Again the apples rained down perfectly into the buckets.

“Analyzing… data has been assimilated. I will now attempt to imitate your technique.”

Applejack watched as Turing Test went to the first tree in her row and, mimicking Applejack’s stance, lined up and gave it a quick buck. Applejack tensed up, worried that the powerful robot’s legs would smash the tree to splinters, but instead there was the same solid sound she’d heard thousands of times before, followed by the sound of apples raining down into the buckets below.

The branches were now bare. Just like her, she’d managed to get every single apple without missing a single one.

“Apples acquired,” Turing intoned. “Now proceeding with harvest.” She paused, glancing over at Applejack. “Thank you for the demonstration. It was very helpful.”

Applejack’s jaw dropped open. To buck a tree for the very first time and do it so perfectly, as perfectly as she could… she’d never seen anything like it!

Raising herself up, she galloped to her next tree and bucked it as well, letting the apples fall.

Immediately after, though, Turing had hit her next tree and was already bucking the next. Applejack wasted no time and went further down her row, as if this had suddenly become a good old-fashioned bucking competition.

The two mares went to work, bucking and collecting apples. Applejack filled all her buckets and began to load them back into her cart. Turing Test was doing the same. Once loaded up, the pair began to haul the loaded carts back towards the barn to load them up into crates. Applejack was already starting to sweat as she strained and pulled the cart onto the dirt road, but suddenly Turing and her cart burst into view, blocking her path for a mere moment before she dashed back down the road, kicking up a large cloud of dust.

Applejack coughed and waved the dust away. When it cleared, she saw that Turing Test was already halfway back to the barn.

She’s fast! Applejack said to herself. Then she grit her teeth and tore off down the road. No greenhorn was going to show her up on the very first day!

***

A half hour later, Applejack had completed several rows of trees and was still going strong. But keeping up with Turing Test’s pace, she realized, was easier said than done. It took her utmost concentration to aim, buck, and move on to the next tree as fast as she could. Even so, she could hear the rhythmic whirring of Turing Test’s legs and the rapid-fire sound of her kicking each tree. She wasn’t sure how well the robot was doing compared to her or vice-versa, but she felt like she was keeping up pretty well. She smiled at that thought before rearing up to buck the next tree.

“Applejack?”

She gave a startled cry and halted in mid-buck, losing her balance and falling over. With a frown, she looked up to see Big Mac standing over her.

“Oh, there ya are,” she said, getting to her hooves. “Nice o’ ya to join us,” she grumbled.

“Ya passed me on the path over here,” he said, rolling his eyes. “I waved to ya. Didn’t even say hello.”

She looked away. “Too busy, I guess.”

“Eeyup,” he said, giving her a certain look.

“Oh, what? Gonna tell me I’m pushin’ myself too far?”

“Eeyup.”

She waved him off. “Relax. The doctor said I’m good to buck apples today.”

“Doctor also said to pace yerself,” Big Mac said, walking alongside her. “It ain’t even nine o’clock an’ yer sweatin’ like you’ve been out here all day.”

“Oh hush, I’m fine,” Applejack said. She picked up her pace and quickly made for the next tree, ready to buck it. Right when she kicked at it, her brother was there, catching her back legs with his forehooves.

“What the heck are you doin’, Big Mac!” she shouted, whirling on him, getting right in his face. “You know how important this harvest is! An’ I’m just tryin’ to pull my own load! Can’t let our new volunteer get too far ahead and think we’re slackin’ off, can we?”

Big Mac sighed. “Don’t think she’s worryin’ about it,” he said. “An’ neither should you.”

“I wouldn’t if you hadn’t stopped me!” she shouted. “She’s probably gettin’ ahead o’ me by now with you holdin’ me up!”

“Applejack,” Big Mac said, heaving a sigh, “it wouldn’t matter. She’s already an entire row ahead of you.”

Applejack’s eyes went wide and she staggered back. “N-no! She can’t be that much faster’n me! Not with my own technique!”

“Uh, actually, she ain’t usin’ yer technique,” he said, jerking his head in the direction of where Turing Test was harvesting a few rows over. Applejack followed him through the trees and saw that the mechanical mare was moving nimbly through the trees, far faster than she’d realized.

Not only that, but Turing Test was now quickly stopping at each tree and kicking it with just one leg, much in the same way that Big Mac did.

“T-Turing Test?!” Applejack gasped.

The robot stopped and turned to see the two siblings watching her. “Hello, Applejack. Hello, Big McIntosh. I have improved my efficiency by 29% on average. Also, after observing Big McIntosh’s technique, I concluded that it was a more efficient use of my power and would drain my battery much more gradually than your technique. Is this satisfactory?”

“Eeyup!” Big Mac replied.

Applejack was still gawking at her. “You… you can buck that much faster?”

“Affirmative. However, you could also increase your own efficiency by decreasing the angle of your bucking by 3 degrees. Currently, it is slightly inefficient.”

Applejack just stared back at her for a moment, blinking once or twice before closing her mouth and swallowing hard. “I see. Well… you… I mean, I best let you get back to work, then,” she said quietly. “Um… keep up the good work,” she added, and turned to leave.

Big Mac and Turing Test watched her go.

“Was my comment inappropriate, Big McIntosh?” Turing asked once Applejack had left them. “It was intended to be helpful.”

Big Mac frowned, mulling that over. “Mmm… nope,” he said at last. But then he added, “But I wouldn’t go sayin’ more stuff like that if I were you. Just focus on what yer doin’ an’ let everypony else mind their own business.”

Turing Test nodded. “Acknowledged. Thank you, Big Mac. I will be more cautious with my feedback.”

The stallion nodded to her and then went back to the row of trees where Applejack was working. Only now, she was bucking at her normal pace, rather than the frantic, grueling pace she’d been attempting earlier. He noted the way she carried herself, though, and something was off about it.

“You okay, Sis?” he asked.

She gave a short nod. “Eeyup,” she quipped, smirking at him.

“Ya know she’s only tryin’ to help, right?” he asked.

She nodded again, going to the next tree. “Eeyup,” she replied, and this time it was with the barest edge to her voice.

“All right, then,” he said, though he kept his eye on her as he walked off. “I’m goin’ back to my row.”

She nodded once more.

He paused. Applejack being that tight-lipped meant that something was wrong, and he knew his sister well enough to see that and to guess what was bothering her.

“Look, Applejack,” he said, “it ain’t about who can buck the most apples. And it ain’t about replacin’ you with a fancy new robot farmhoof either. It’s just about gettin’ the harvest in on time and doin’ what we gotta do fer the farm an’ the family. You know that, right?”

Applejack paused, but heaved a sigh and finally gave a more genuine smile. “Right.” She took a breath. “Yeah. Sorry, I guess I’m just still a little off kilter after, well…” she glanced down at her own hip, “...you know.”

He smiled. “Eeyup.”

“You get back to work now, all right? And I’ll do the same.” She watched him go, her smile still in place right until she heard the sound of Turing Test galloping off with yet another cart loaded up with apples.

It’s for the farm, she told herself. It’s like Big Mac said - it ain’t about me. Just grin an’ bear it, Applejack. Just grin an’ bear it…

***

In the early evening, Big Mac and Turing Test brought in their last haul of apples. They saw that Applejack and Granny Smith were already waiting for them.

“You two both done fer the day?” Granny Smith asked.

“Eeyup!” Big Mac replied.

“Affirmative.” Turing Test turned to look at Applejack. “Through our combined efforts, we were able to harvest approximately 55% of the total number of trees from the field.”

“Probably woulda done even more,” Applejack said, giving a roll of her eyes, “if Granny hadn’t made me stop a couple hours ago.”

“You heard what that nice Dr. Stable said, Applejack,” Granny Smith said, glaring at her. “No more’n six hours until ya recover all the way.”

“My hips didn’t even hurt!” she shot back.

“Kinda the idea,” the older mare grumbled. “After all, the idea is to stop before ya hurt yerself.”

“Right, right,” Applejack sighed. “I just can’t wait until next season rolls around an’ I can get in a full day’s work instead of loungin’ around the house like a bump on a log. But regardless,” she added, giving Turing Test a smile, “thank ya kindly fer all yer help, Turing. Looks like we just might finish ahead o’ schedule. If we do, we might be able to start sellin’ the apples earlier, maybe even make an early batch o’ cider!”

Turing’s ears shifted. “Understood. And you are welcome.” She bowed politely to the three gathered Apples. “If my assistance is no longer required, I will return to Twilight Sparkle’s residence.”

“Wait a minute there, missy,” Granny Smith said, holding up a hoof. “Ain’t Twilight doin’ that thing up there in the Crystal Empire right now?”

“Correct. Currently, the castle is empty. I intended to practice my magic or merely conserve my power by entering sleep mode until tomorrow.”

“Well that just ain’t right, bein’ left all by yer lonesome,” she said, stroking her chin. “Say, why don’t ya just spend the night over here with us?”

Turing Test’s ears stood straight up and both Applejack and Big Mac turned to stare at her.

“You wish to invite me into your home?” Turing Test asked. “I have never received such a request. Is that truly acceptable?” At this, she looked from one Apple sibling to the other.

Big Mac nodded emphatically. “Eeyup!”

Applejack tapped her chin. “Well, it is the neighborly thing to do, what with you helpin’ us out an’ all,” she said slowly. “So… yeah, I guess that’d be fine!”

“Then it’s settled!” Granny Smith exclaimed, a warm smile crossing her aged face. “Looks like we’re havin’ ya fer dinner!”

Turing Test took a few steps back. “I would not advise that. I am neither edible, nor willing to go to such lengths to gain your favor.”

Big Mac broke out into loud guffaws.

“She means,” Applejack said, her smile becoming stiffer and more forced, “that we’re invitin’ ya to have dinner with us.”

“I see,” Turing Test said, halting her retreat. “I will gladly attend. However, please do not prepare any food for me, as I do not eat.”

“Oh, pshaw!” Granny Smith said, turning to go back into the house. “Ya say that now, but you ain’t ever had some good ol’ fashioned Apple family cookin’!”

The other three watched her go.

“I will return to Twilight Sparkle’s castle to retrieve my charging device. If I am to resume work tomorrow, a fully charged battery would be optimal. I will return shortly.”

Big Mac and Applejack waved to her as she left, heading back through the trees of the orchard and up the road to Ponyville, the glow of sunset still reflecting brightly off her metallic exterior.

“She sure is a nice little robot,” Big Mac said. Then he placed his large foreleg around Applejack, startling her. “An’ I’m proud o’ you, Applejack.”

“Huh? What the hay for?” she asked, squirming out of the sudden hug.

“I know she gets on yer nerves a bit,” her brother replied, “but yer bein’ a good sport about it.”

“Oh, ya mean because I didn’t try to fight her comin’ over here for the night or for gettin’ sore about her buckin’ more apples’n me?” she asked.

“Eeyup,” he replied.

She laughed and waved him off. “It ain’t a big deal. She’s lendin’ us a hoof, after all, so why would I be upset? Ain’t no reason to be upset, now is there?”

“Nope!” he replied, and turned to go back in the house. “Ya comin’?”

“I’ll, um… I’ll just be a bit,” she said, glancing in the direction of the field they’d been harvesting. “Just give me a few, alright?”

He shrugged, then went inside the house.

Applejack began to walk toward the field. It wasn’t too far, just down the path and over a small hill. She stood on the hill and looked down at all the trees.

A little more than half of them were now free of the ripe, juicy apples that had burdened their branches that morning. And so few, she realized, were that way because of her.

A cold autumn wind blew past her, letting her braided mane and tail wave in the wind as she held her hat in place.

Not since I was a filly have I been out-bucked so badly. I know she’s helpin’ us out, an’ I know that I gotta be nice, an’ I can’t just go tell her off even though she rubs me the wrong way. That ain’t her fault. I’m the one with the problem. She glanced back at her hip. That’s right… I’m the one with the problem. An’ right now, I need to do what’s best fer the farm an’ the family. How I feel personally ain't...

She took a deep breath, biting her lip. She felt her eyes start to tear up, but she held her breath and stayed strong.

“Strong.” She whispered the word, bringing herself up, standing firm against the wind. That’s what I am. That’s what I gotta be! Fer the farm an’ the family, she repeated to herself, turning back toward home. How I feel just ain’t important…

To be continued…

Author's Note:

And so begins the Applejack Arc. It's been a while in coming, but I hope it'll be worth the wait!

First off, thanks to my editors and an extra big thank you to GenerousGypsy, who really helped give the first scene in this chapter an overhaul and made it flow a lot better.

Next, of course, we've got references. Not too many this time around, but...
-The title, of course, refers to the company Apple, which I'm sure everyone got. But on that note, many of you might have noticed that I spell Big Mac's name as "McIntosh," not "Macintosh." My reasoning on this is simple... "Macintosh" is a computer, but the type of actual apple he's named after is "McIntosh." And if it's good enough for Lauren Faust and M.A. Larson, then it's good enough for me!
-Something of an old gag, but Turing's use of the phrase "the hay" in her answers is a slight reference to a similar gag used by Spock in Star Trek IV: The Journey Home.

See y'all next time, ya hear? :ajsmug:

PreviousChapters Next