• Published 4th Apr 2015
  • 17,079 Views, 5,068 Comments

The Iron Horse: Everything's Better With Robots! - The Hat Man



A cute robot pony. A mysterious origin. A princess who believes anyone can learn friendship, even a cold, logical machine. A journey begins...

  • ...
29
 5,068
 17,079

PreviousChapters Next
Love Machine, Part 1

Author's Pre-note: This arc makes a few oblique references to the holiday side story "The Iron Ho-Ho-Horse: Everything's Merrier With Robots!" It is canon, but not required reading, so you can skip it with very few issues.

The train pulled into the station at the Crystal Empire. Twilight had been there a mere month ago to discuss negotiations with Yakyakistan, but this trip was not for diplomacy; it was just for her.

Twilight smiled as she looked out the window and saw a familiar stallion standing on the platform. She eagerly galloped to the exit and leaped out to where Shining Armor was waiting with open hooves.

“Twily!” he exclaimed, greeting his little sister. “I’m so glad you’re--oof!” he grunted as Twilight practically tackled him with a hug. “Heh. I’m glad you’re here, little sister.”

“Me too!” she laughed. “Especially when I’m not terrified of saying the wrong thing to Prince Rutherford!”

There was the sound of whirring gears and metallic hooves loudly trotting across the crystalline floor of the platform. Twilight and Shining Armor both turned to see Turing Test exiting the train. Right behind her was Spike, who waved to Shining Armor as soon as he saw him.

“Hello again, Shining Armor,” Turing Test said, bowing her head to him.

“Good to see you again, Turing Test!” Shining Armor replied, giving her a smile. He turned to Spike and held out a hoof. “And hey, Spike, good to have you too, little guy!”

“Same here!” he said, making a fist and bumping it to Shining Armor’s hoof.

Twilight sighed. “I wish I had been here when you and my brother first met back on Hearth’s Warming Eve, Turing.” Then she perked up. “But hey, now you can pay a proper visit without trying to collect holiday cards and stuff from the whole Empire!”

“That is true.” She turned to face Shining Armor again. “I look forward to interacting with you and Princess Cadance during our visit.”

“Likewise!” he said, not missing a beat. He gestured for them to follow him as they made their way toward the palace at the center of the Empire.

Twilight smiled as she and the others walked along the crystalline roads, the crystal ponies all nodding, bowing, or curtseying to their prince, to her, and to their national hero, Spike. But what also struck her was the fact that nopony seemed to be even slightly bothered by Turing Test.

“It seems like you made a real impression on the crystal ponies, Turing,” she whispered over her shoulder.

“Affirmative. Though they were at first very apprehensive, especially the palace guards, Shining Armor vouched for me. He was made aware of me by means of your letters and allowed me to speak. When I informed the crystal ponies that I was visiting on your behalf, and especially on behalf of Spike the Dragon, they no longer feared me. Apparently, any friend of Spike the Dragon’s is a friend of the Crystal Empire.”

Spike puffed his chest out at that.

However, Turing’s ears began to twitch. “Shining Armor, I have an inquiry.”

“Oh yeah?” he asked, still leading the group. “What is it?”

“An inquiry is a question.”

He grunted as Twilight and Spike chuckled.

“I mean, what is your question?”

“An ‘empire’ is defined as a major political unit having a territory of great extent or a number of territories or peoples under a single sovereign authority. However, the Crystal Empire is smaller in size than Canterlot or Manehattan. Nor are you and Princess Cadance addressed as ‘Emperor’ and ‘Empress,’ respectively. Why then is this region referred to as an ‘Empire?’”

Shining chuckled. “You know, Cadance and I wondered about that and asked the crystal ponies that same question. Turns out, they don’t really know either!”

“Weird!” Spike remarked. “Eh, but no big deal. It has a nice ring to it anyway!”

“Speaking of Cadance,” Twilight said, frowning slightly, “is she okay?”

Shining Armor just smiled. “Cadance is fine,” he assured her. “But don’t be too surprised when you see her. She’s really starting to show!”

Turing Test tilted her head. “Please clarify. What is she showing?”

The others all laughed at that.

“Oh, Turing,” Twilight said, turning to smile at her, “you know that Cadance is pregnant! I told you, remember?”

“I do. I am not susceptible to forgetting information. However, I still do not understand your meaning.”

Twilight sighed and glanced over to Shining Armor. She gave him a pointed look, but he only laughed in response.

“I think you’ll understand what we mean when you see her, Turing,” he said raising an eyebrow as he smirked.

When the group arrived at the entrance to the colossal palace, Cadance was there to greet them. “Oh, Twilight, Spike, Turing Test, you’re here!” She came over and hugged each of them in turn. “How was your trip?”

“It was fine!” Twilight said.

Spike was rubbing his arms. “Still pretty cold, though.”

“Oh, yes,” Cadance said, nodding. “It gets very cold here in the Crystal Empire, of course, even with the Crystal Heart keeping it hospitable!” She beckoned them to follow her, the palace guards lining up on either side of them to form a pathway. “Come inside! We’ll get you warm and get you all a nice dinner! And there might be some tasty gemstones in store for you, Spike,” she added.

The group all followed her, but Turing, seeing Cadance’s profile as she turned, momentarily stopped in her tracks.

Turing checked her data, just to confirm what she’d noticed. Cadance’s abdomen was definitely protruding more than it had been previously.

Twilight and Shining Armor’s meaning finally clicked when she considered what they’d said.

“Oh,” she said to herself, quietly. She then picked up her hooves and caught up to the rest of the group.

***

It was later that night after everyone had gone to bed after a long evening involving a nice dinner, staying up late telling stories, swapping jokes, and just enjoying each other’s company. Cadance suddenly jolted awake, the tiny thing in her belly stirring slightly. She clutched her stomach and noticed Shining Armor had draped his foreleg over her during the night.

She smiled, gently lifting his foreleg as she slipped out of bed. She knelt down and kissed him on the forehead. He moved slightly, his slow, rhythmic breathing momentarily interrupted as he inhaled, but then he settled once more.

Cadance took a nightgown, then gently made her way through the halls of the palace. The guards on duty looked up from their posts when they saw her, but at a reassuring nod and a smile, they relaxed, letting her be.

After ascending a few flights of stairs, she at last reached her favorite balcony. She pulled her nightgown around herself more tightly in the chilly air as she stared out over her kingdom. The homes below were mostly dark, but with the bright moon overhead, the Crystal Empire shone and glimmered as if mimicking the starry sky above.

Her ears raised as she heard a distinct sound approaching behind her, along with a telltale purple glow. She turned to smile at her guest.

“Good evening, Turing Test,” Cadance said softly.

“And to you also, Princess Cadance.”

Cadance held up a hoof and clicked her tongue as if she were a teacher correcting a student.

“Please, Turing. Just Cadance.”

Turing nodded. “Acknowledged. Good evening, Cadance. I apologize if I am bothering you, but I saw you as I was exploring the castle.”

“Oh?” Cadance asked, raising an eyebrow. “Why are you exploring it at this hour? Couldn’t you sl-- oh, right.” She chuckled nervously. “Sorry, I keep forgetting that you’re… um…”

“It is all right, Cadance. Many of my friends often forget that I do not have the same needs or routines as organics.”

Cadance frowned. “That must get old.”

“‘Get old?’ If you are indicating that such questions are bothersome to me, then that is not correct. In actuality, while I formerly had no reaction to such assumptions, I now find them pleasant.”

Cadance’s eyes widened at that. “Pleasant? Forgive me for asking, but why?”

“Because,” she replied, coming over to stand beside her, “in a small way, it means they regard me as if I really were organic, rather than mechanical. They do not treat me differently, and I am appreciative of that.”

At that, Cadance smiled. She looked back out at the Crystal Empire. “It’s beautiful up here, isn’t it?”

Turing’s ears shifted. “I am told that many ponies find the night sky beautiful. I have difficulty appreciating aesthetic visual appeal, though I realize that it is important to others. It is why I am grateful to my friend Rarity for the brooches that adorn my legs.” She held up a foreleg, displaying it for Cadance.

“They’re lovely, Turing,” Cadance replied. She sighed and rested her forelegs on the rail of the balcony. “Still, I guess even I can’t quite explain why I like it so much up here, but just the same, I feel peaceful when I’m up here alone. It helps me relax and think. In fact, I’ve been coming up here a lot, lately.”

She took a deep breath and let it out slowly, resting her head on her forelegs.

Turing watched her and rested her forelegs on the balcony in turn, mimicking Cadance’s action.

Cadance laughed at that. “Twilight said you’re trying to learn about body language more.”

“Correct. I have had some success replicating some physical movements. However, I still have difficulty with vocalizations such as natural-sounding laughter or sighing. Attempting sigh in 3… 2… 1…” She raised her head. “Haaaaaaaaaa,” she ‘sighed.’

Cadance broke out into a fit of giggles, covering her mouth as she tried to contain it.

“I see,” Turing said, her ears lowering. “I was not successful.”

“No, no, it was fine!” Cadance managed to say through her giggle fit. “I’m sorry for laughing; I just thought it was cute!”

“Cute?” Turing repeated, raising her head. “That was not my intention, but it may be desirable nonetheless. Is being ‘cute’ considered a positive trait?”

Cadance smiled, managing to keep herself from laughing this time. “Yes, Turing. Being cute can be an asset. So can being, um, ‘aesthetically pleasing,’ as you put it. Or being funny, or being smart, or just being sweet. I remember that about Shining Armor.” She sighed happily, resting her face on her hooves. “He was a lot shier back in school, but so kind and devoted. He’s more brave now, but he’s otherwise just the same. And I still love him for it.”

Turing said nothing, but her ears twitched slightly on their hinges.

“And now,” she said, looking up at the sky, her smile growing wider, “I’m even going to have a baby with him! I’m… I’m going to be a mother…”

Turing saw that her eyes were wet, and she went to her side. “Cadance, are you all right? Why are you crying?”

“Oh, I’m sorry,” she said, wiping her eyes as she chuckled lightly. “I’m just a little emotional. These pregnancy hormones can be rough!”

Turing relaxed slightly, but she held her gaze on Cadance.

“I apologize, Cadance, but may I ask you a question?”

“Yes, of course,” Cadance replied, smiling at her.

“You refer to Shining Armor with very strong affection, stating your love for him. I have also been told that you are known as the ‘Princess of Love,’ similar to how Twilight Sparkle is the ‘Princess of Friendship.’”

Cadance nodded. “Yes, that’s true. Um, was that your question?”

Turing shook her head. “I am merely stating that information as justification for asking you what may be a difficult inquiry.” She leaned in close to Cadance. “I wish to know, what is love?

Cadance blinked. “What is love?” she repeated.

Turing nodded.

“Well…” She paused, scratching her temple. “That’s a more complicated answer than you might think, Turing.” Then she brightened. “Oh, I know! Why don’t you tell me what you already know, and then I can add to that!”

“Acknowledged. That sounds efficient.” She tapped her chin, then proceeded. “From my own understanding, love is similar to affection, but more intense and multifaceted. Many books seem to focus on courtship and conclude once characters either acknowledge their love, establish a relationship by overcoming hindrances, or die.” She paused a moment as Cadance made a face. “I find the final result to be somewhat counterproductive.”

Cadance sighed. “Well, you’ve got the right idea, Turing,” she said. “Love is a lot like affection, but, just like you said, it’s so much more! It’s a wonderful, amazing experience that just, well, makes life so much sweeter!”

Turing nodded but said nothing as she waited for Cadance to continue.

“Well, love is something that anypony can feel, but there are all kinds of love, too.”

Turing sat up straight at that. “I was not aware that an emotion could have different subcategories.”

Cadance chuckled at that. “Well, love is a special emotion. When you feel love for your family, that’s what we call ‘familial love,’” she explained. “When it’s for your friends or companions, we call it ‘platonic love.’ And when it’s for that special somepony who you want to be with, like in those books you’ve been reading, then we call it ‘romantic love.’ Do you understand?”

Turing tilted her head back and forth. “I am not certain. How can organics distinguish one love from another?”

“Well, generally you can tell… I mean, organics can tell the difference pretty easily. But sometimes I guess it can be difficult. Especially if you feel one type of love for somepony, but they have another for you.”

“Such a thing is possible?”

“Sure it is!” Cadance said. “Like, when two ponies are friends, but one begins to have romantic feelings for the other, it can be really difficult, especially when only one friend feels that way.”

“What is the source of difficulty? Why do they not simply state their feelings?”

“I tend to think honesty is… well, usually the best policy,” Cadance said, “but sometimes it can be embarrassing to know that a friend sees you in that way.”

“In what way?”

“You know,” Cadance said, a blush coming to her cheeks. “Romantically.”

Turing tilted her head, obviously not getting it.

Cadance sighed. “Physically, Turing.”

Turing’s eyes shifted. “Understood. You are referring to intercourse.”

Cadance laughed nervously. “Y-yes.”

“Then romantic love and intercourse are complementary to each other?”

“Well, not necessarily, but a lot of the time.”

Turing nodded. “And that is how you were impregnated.”

Cadance rolled her eyes. “Yes, Turing,” she sighed, “that’s how I got pregnant.”

Turing stood up, nodding. “Understood. I apologize if I have said anything inappropriate in my attempts to learn.”

With a gentle smile, Cadance put a hoof on her shoulder. “No, don’t worry, Turing. It’s only natural to be curious.”

Turing glanced down. “If you do not mind, I have an additional request, Cadance.”

She smiled. “Yes?”

“If it is not troublesome, may I touch your abdomen?”

Cadance’s eyes went wide.

“My apologies,” Turing said, taking a few steps back when she saw Cadance’s reaction. “I did not wish to--”

“No, no, it’s… it’s okay, you just surprised me, that’s all,” Cadance said, slowly relaxing. “Just be gentle, all right?”

Turing nodded. “Understood,” she replied.

Cadance sat, exposing her slightly protruding belly. Ever so gently, very slowly, Turing placed her metallic hoof on it. Cadance shivered at the cold touch, but only for a moment as she got used to it. Turing was still as she held her hoof in place, her sensors taking a reading of the slight movement of the tiny being within.

In a hushed, awed tone, she whispered but one word: “Incredible.”

***

It was a few days later, back at Twilight’s castle, when Turing knocked on the door to the study. Twilight called “Come in!” and Turing Test entered.

“Hello, Turing!” Twilight said, giving her a warm smile as she glanced up from her book. Spike was next to her, holding a quill in his claw, and he likewise looked up at her. The two of them were seated at a small table with books and papers.

“Forgive my interruption, Twilight Sparkle. Are you occupied at the moment?”

“Well, just a little, but we could take a short break,” Twilight said, which caused Spike to breathe a sigh of relief as he massaged his tired claw. “What’s on your mind?”

“I wish to speak to you about love and intercourse.”

Twilight instantly began sputtering, her wings flaring out as she nearly fell off her stool.

Spike just blinked. “About love and… what was that last word?”

“Nothing, ha ha!” Twilight said quickly. “Oh, gee, Spike, we’re getting low on ink, so why don’t you go to the store and buy some!” She stared at him with a tight, plastered-on smile. There was sweat forming on her brow.

Spike raised an eyebrow. “Huh? Twilight, we’ve got an entire bottle left!” he exclaimed, holding it up.

“Oh, do we? Gee, let me see that!” She shot out her hoof, practically smacking the bottle out of Spike’s claw and causing it to fall to the floor, smashing to pieces. “Whoopsie! I’m such a butterhooves today, haha! Guess you need to buy some after all!”

She levitated a bag of bits and shoved it into his claws roughly.

“But, Twilight, I wanted to--”

“No no, I insist, we need ink annnnd oh, what the hay, go get a massage and a hot mineral bath at the spa while you’re at it, take your time!”

Spike broke into a grin. “Wow, really? All right, thanks Twilight!” He hugged her and dashed out of the room, shutting the door behind him.

“Ugh!” Twilight groaned, placing her face in her hooves. “That was close.” She then raised her head and glared at Turing Test. “Turing, what’s wrong with you?! You can’t talk about stuff like that in front of Spike!”

Turing bowed her head. “My apologies. In the future, I will stand behind him.”

Twilight pounded her head on the desk.

“Perhaps I should return later, if you are unwilling to answer my inquiry.”

“No, no,” she sighed as she slowly began to calm herself down. “It’s my responsibility to teach you about friendship and life and important things like this. Sooo… I guess you want to know about, um... the birds and bees?”

“Negative. I have no interest in how birds and bees have sex.”

Twilight stared blankly at Turing Test. She stayed that way for several moments before her brain finally re-engaged.

“Turing, maybe you should just tell me what you want to know.”

“Acknowledged,” she replied, giving a short nod. “Twilight Sparkle, on our recent trip to the Crystal Empire, I discussed the topic of love with Cadance. She was very helpful. It has made me consider some of my own recent experiences and how I might continue to develop my own identify further.”

Twilight stood up from where she was sitting and went over to her. “Oh. You’re really serious about this, aren’t you?”

“Affirmative. As you will recall, Twilight Sparkle, I informed you of my experiences with Applejack’s family several weeks ago. I greatly enjoyed the experience of being part of a family unit, and I am happy that you and Spike the Dragon accept me as a member of your family in turn.”

Twilight smiled at that. “Well, of course we do, Turing!”

“However, I have observed how many organics seek relationships with others outside their family to form pairs and, eventually, their own family units. Seeing that Cadance is now beginning to ‘show’ and noting your anticipation of the birth of a new addition to your family has made me consider my own situation.”

Twilight frowned. “What do you mean?”

“Organics can procreate. They can reproduce and become parents.” She paused, looking down. “But I will not. I am a machine, and thus I cannot have foals.”

Twilight’s frown deepened. She went to Turing and held her. “Oh, Turing,” she said quietly.

“It is all right, Twilight Sparkle. I believe it is something I must accept.”

Twilight paused and then released her. “Well, actually, now that I think about it, maybe you can have foals!” She smiled. “After all, if somepony built you, then maybe someday you could, well, build your own offspring!”

Turing’s ears shifted, squeaking on their hinges. “That is true. However, as the process used to create me remains unknown, such a thing is currently impossible. Still, you are right that the possibility of a family for me may yet exist at some point in the future.”

Twilight smiled. “Well, I’m glad I could help!”

Turing held up a hoof. “My apologies, Twilight Sparkle, but the subject of offspring was not the primary topic I wished to discuss with you.”

Twilight blinked at her, not understanding.

“In an effort to better integrate with organic ponies and find my own sense of identity, I wish to experience a romantic relationship.”

Twilight gawked. “You mean… you want to… to date somepony?!”

“Scanning… ‘date: verb. To go on a date.’ Scanning… ‘date: noun. 1. the oblong edible fruit of a palm. 2. the time at which--’”

“I mean you want to have a romance! A special somepony!”

Turing stopped quoting her internal dictionary and nodded.

Twilight rubbed her forehead. “Oh wow… oh Sweet Celestia…”

“I doubt she would be receptive to me.”

Twilight burst out laughing at that. When she’d mostly recovered, holding her sides and wiping her eyes, she said, “Listen, Turing, in all seriousness, I’m not sure that you’re quite ready for, um, romance.”

“Perhaps not. But I will not know if I do not try.”

“But… I mean… a robot and an organic pony?!”

“I realize it is unconventional. However, many individuals have unconventional relationships. Dr. Turing is a griffon in a romantic relationship with a changeling. Mr. Vanderbull is a minotaur whose wife is a pony. Gummy and Boulder--”

“Okay, okay, I get it! Sheesh!” Twilight rolled her eyes. “Look, it’s… I just don’t want you to get hurt.”

Turing said nothing but then slowly lowered her head and ears. “Then you are forbidding me from entering into such a relationship?”

Twilight shut her eyes, taking a long breath and releasing it with glacial slowness.

“All right, fine,” she said, giving Turing a weak smile. “I don’t feel right holding you back. So, if this is what you want, then… okay, you have my support.”

Turing Test stood up straight, her ears twitching rapidly. “Thank you, Twilight Sparkle! I am very excited to initiate courtship rituals!” Then she paused, her ears going still. “Now, how shall I proceed?”

Twilight raised a hoof and opened her mouth before suddenly freezing, her eyes darting back and forth.

“Okay, maybe romance isn’t something I know that much about.” She scratched her head, considering options. “Well, none of our friends are dating anypony right now, but I think I know at least one of us who might know a thing or two about attraction…”

***

Rarity levitated a cup of tea up to her lips and took a sip. She smiled serenely and leaned forward on her kitchen table. “You’ve come to the right place, darling.”

Twilight broke into a wide grin and put her foreleg over Turing’s shoulder. “So you’ll help her, Rarity?”

“How could I say no!” Rarity replied. She lightly patted Turing’s hoof. “Don’t worry, Turing Test; we’ll find the stallion of your dreams in no time!”

Turing bowed her head. “Thank you, Rarity. I am hopeful that I will be able to attract a compatible partner.”

“Attract is the key word, I suppose,” Rarity said, rubbing her chin. “The problem is that you are very, ah, unconventional in your appearance. Normally I’d suggest learning how to develop a certain look in your eye or a way of smiling or winking, but, well…”

Turing’s ears flattened. “My lack of a mouth or eyelids is problematic.”

“Indeed,” Rarity said, “but that doesn’t mean we don’t still have some options. For instance, we could try using your voice instead. Come here, Turing, and whisper something seductive into my ear.”

“Understood.” She stood and went up to Rarity, who lifted her ear as Turing came closer.

“You are aesthetically pleasing. I wish to interface with you.”

Rarity made a sour face and backed away. “Well, you have the basic idea, I suppose, but perhaps that’s not the best approach.”

Twilight sighed. “I was afraid of that. Turing, don’t take this the wrong way, but you might be running up against simple organic nature. For animals and ponies alike, a lot of physical attraction is based on hormones and pheromones, and you have neither. For that matter, you don’t even have the… um… equipment for this sort of thing.”

“Because I do not have lips?”

“Y-yes,” Twilight said, blushing. “Among, you know… other things.”

Turing noticed Rarity was also blushing. “Understood. Perhaps such things would be too unpleasing for organics.” She lowered her head and made for the door. “Very well. I will not pursue this further.”

Rarity suddenly got to hind legs, slamming her front hooves on the table. “No! I will not accept that it’s as simple as that, nor will I let you give up without trying!”

Turing stopped and slowly walked back to the table. “But how will I evoke feelings of romantic attraction without chemical signals?”

“Oh, pfft,” Rarity said, rolling her eyes, “chemicals are overrated! Besides, we can always let you borrow some perfume. Coco Pommel recently sent me a scent, as it were, and we could always experiment! What sort of aroma do you think you would like to associate with yourself? Lavender? Rosewater?”

Turing tapped her chin. Perhaps I could dab some motor oil behind my ears?

Rarity’s eye twitched. “Okay, nix on the perfume. In that case, we’ll have to rely on two of the grandest weapons a mare has in her arsenal: fashion and body language!”

She raised a hoof to the side of her mouth and shouted “Sweetie Belle!”

The sound of small hooves galloping was heard, and Sweetie appeared around the corner. “Yes, Rarity?”

“Be a darling and find my camera for me, won’t you?”

Sweetie smiled. “Sure!” She then glanced over at Turing Test. “Oh, hi, Turing! Is Rarity taking pictures of you?”

“I believe so, though I am uncertain how it pertains to matters of romance and intercourse.”

Sweetie Belle scrunched her face. “Inter-what now?”

“Gah!” Rarity shouted and roughly shoved a bag into Sweetie’s hooves. “Sweetie Belle, here’s twenty bits! After you get the camera, go to the movies or something and don’t ask any more questions on the way!”

“Ooh!” Sweetie cooed. Then she raised an eyebrow. “Wait, is this like that time I found your black sketch book you told me never to look at again?”

Rarity narrowed her gaze. “Camera. No questions. Movies. Go!”

“All right, all right!” she groaned, walking off in a huff to find the camera.

***

After a few experiments with outfits and photographing several poses, the three mares gathered around Rarity’s table as she spread the photos for all to see.

“Well!” Rarity said, smiling and looking pleased with herself. “I think that went rather well!”

Twilight was smiling, but at each picture, the smile grew more and more forced.

“You believe that by utilizing these poses to enhance my femininity, I will appear more aesthetically pleasing and attractive to stallions?” Turing asked, looking to Rarity.

“I’m certain of it!” Rarity said, beaming at her.

Twilight held her tongue as she glanced back at the photos.

There was one of Turing Test blowing a kiss to the camera, another a vertical shot of her lying on a bed, looking up, another of her standing on her hind legs on a giant fake clamshell holding one foreleg over her chest with the other holding up her tail (Rarity called it the “Venus de Mustang” pose), and one with her holding up a large, red paper heart.

Twilight couldn’t decide if they were cute or mildly disturbing, but she was starting to suspect that somewhere along the line, Rarity had gone from helping Turing Test to just playing dress-up.

“Well then!” Rarity said, turning to face Turing Test. “Now that you’ve practiced the physical arts, perhaps you should work on your, um, verbal technique. And I have just the thing for that as well!” She held up a thin, red book and levitated it over to Turing.

“The title is The Art of Seduction, by Lacey Saddles,” Turing said, examining the book.

Twilight frowned. “Turing, I’m not sure you should--”

Turing flipped through the book, processing it in less than ten seconds. “Analyzed,” she said.

“Excellent!” Rarity exclaimed. “Now, go forth, young robot, and make those techniques your own! Find your special somepony!”

“Understood.” She gave Rarity a brief hug. “Thank you for your assistance, Rarity. I hope I will gain significant romantic experience.”

She moved for the door when Twilight teleported into her path.

“M-maybe you shouldn’t, Turing. I mean, at least not by yourself!” She swallowed. “It might be better with one of us there to support you!”

Turing’s eyes shifted. “Twilight Sparkle, are you indicating that I require a chaperone?”

Twilight glanced over at Rarity, who just shrugged. “Well, would that be such a bad idea?”

“While I acknowledge that I am less experienced that most ponies, I have proven myself to be a capable learner. Furthermore, I wish to do this on my own. I am concerned that your presence may pressure others to accept my offer or invite those who wish to have greater access to a Princess.”

Twilight blinked. “Oh,” she said quietly. “I… wow, I guess I never considered that.” She heaved a sigh but offered her a weak smile. “All right, Turing, I won’t interfere. Just… you know, if things get rough for you, then I’ll be around to help. We all will.”

Turing nodded. “Thank you, Twilight Sparkle.”

With that, Twilight stepped aside and watched as Turing went outside, making her way into Ponyville to seek the perfect mate.

“There she goes, Twilight,” Rarity said, hugging Twilight as she laid her head against her. “Our little robot is growing up.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow at Rarity. “Are you really sure this is a good idea, Rarity? I can’t think of anypony who would date a robot. I mean, would you?”

“I don’t know, darling,” she replied with a chuckle, “but then, nopony’s built any hunky robot stallions yet, either.”

Twilight groaned and rolled her eyes. “But still, Rarity, what if she gets her heart broken? What if she gets rejected and never wants to try to love anypony again?!” she cried.

Rarity turned serious and looked Twilight in the eyes. “There’s no reward without risk, Twilight,” she said quietly. “And what if she is successful? What if she meets some handsome stranger and it is absolutely wonderful? Do you really want to deny her that experience?”

Twilight lowered her gaze, shaking her head. “No. I… I guess I don’t.”

Rarity smiled, patting Twilight on her shoulder. “Then try not to worry.” Then her grin turned more mischievous. “Besides, with a robodonkadonk like that, she might well have to beat potential suitors off with a stick!”

Twilight gawked at her, a dry rattle in her throat.

To be continued...

Author's Note:

And so begins the first chapter of the "Romance" arc. This wasn't something I had originally planned on writing back in the conception stage, but that applies to lots of stuff that I ended up writing. :scootangel: A lot of readers were curious as to how Turing Test would do in a romantic setting, and I had to concede that it was interesting and might be fun to write. So, for those readers, this one's for you!

Okay, time for references:
-First, a reference I didn't make, but so help me, I thought about it. When Turing asks Cadance "What is love?" and she echoes it, I was going to have her suddenly clutch her belly and go "Ow! Baby, don't hurt me!" ...But I thought that was reaching too far for a reference joke, even for me. :applejackunsure:
-For an actual reference, a lot of Turing's poses were based on some common tropes, though Turing blowing a kiss was based vaguely on Marilyn Monroe as well as the scene in "Simple Ways" where Applejack dresses up and blows a kiss to the camera.
-Additionally, of course, is Turing's "Venus de Mustang" pose, which is based on the famous picture "Venus on the Half-Shell."

-Rarity refers to getting some perfume from Coco Pommel. This is an oblique reference to the fragrance "Chanel No. 5," originally produced and sold by Coco Chanel, Miss Pommel's namesake.
-Of course, the most overt reference is the title which this time is a song, but not by Daft Punk. Instead, it is the excellent tune "Love Machine" by The Miracles, a supergroup of some of Motown's best and brightest. It's one of my favorite songs and has appeared in countless movies and TV shows. And now at least one fanfic. :pinkiehappy:

I tried to get a video with lyrics, but there didn't appear to be one readily available, so, uh, here's a lyrics sheet to follow.

See you next time, folks!

PreviousChapters Next