• Published 16th Feb 2015
  • 2,087 Views, 14 Comments

The NEW Canterlot High School - MlpRainbowPower

  • ...
2
 14
 2,087

Candy Crushed Pt. 1

“I don’t get the point of this.”

Adagio and Sonata were sitting on their living room couch in their apartment. Sonata was teaching Adagio how to play Candy Crush, a game on her smartphone, though Adagio thought the game was the stupidest thing in the entire world.

“It’s fun!” Sonata giggled. “You get to match candy up and get to new levels!”

"I stand corrected." Adagio watched as Sonata swiped a whole row. "There is no point in this."

"It's really fun when you get into it!"

“But,” Adagio stared at the phone as Sonata matched up five orange things. “It’s just the same exact thing over and over again.”

Sonata giggled again. “Of course not, silly, it gets harder as you level up!” She matched up four red bean-looking things, and another bean with stripes wiped off the whole row of candy.

“Why would anyone waste their time on this game?”

“Actually, like, a lot of people play this. At least 10 million.” Sonata matched another set of candy.

Adagio’s eyes widened. “Ten million? At least?” She slowly shook her head. “I had no idea that many people have no life.”

“Do you wanna try?” Sonata asked as she finished the level. She held the phone in front of Adagio.

“Definitely not.” Adagio pushed the phone away.

“Come on, Dagi! It’s really fun when you start to play it! For realzies!” Sonata shook the device.

Adagio stared at it for a moment, then sighed. “Fine. But only once.”

Sonata cheered. “Yay!” She handed the smartphone to Adagio, who tapped on the next level and sighed again.


“What are you playing?” Sunset Shimmer asked Adagio the next morning at school.

Adagio didn’t take her eyes off the screen. “Candy Crush.”

Sunset peeked over her shoulder. “Isn’t that the game that Sonata was addicted to?”

Adagio nodded.

“I thought you said you hated that game.” Sunset continued to watch the former Siren as she rapidly matched up candy.

“Nope.”

“Why do you like it now?”

Adagio shrugged.

“You’re being very talkative this morning.” Sunset crossed her arms.

Adagio shrugged again.

Sunset Shimmer grunted at her silence, then spotted her other friends hanging out in the school’s yard under a tree. She ran over, Adagio still walking behind while not taking her eyes of the screen. Sunset arrived at her friends and sat down next to Fluttershy.

“Hey, guys, what’s up?” She waved at them all.

They all returned the greeting. Sonata looked around and asked, “Where’s Dagi?”

Sunset waved her hand in the air. “She’s lagging behind playing that stupid Candy Crush game.”

Sonata bounced on her knees. “I knew she’d like it!”

"Oh, I've heard of that game." Rarity said while painting her nails. "Complete nonsense, if you ask me."

Fluttershy nodded.

"Candy Crush?" Applejack asked. "Ah've never heard of it. What do ya do in it?"

"Of course you've never heard of it. You don't even have an iPhone!" Rainbow Dash replied.

AJ shrugged. "Hey, the whole point of a phone is ta call people, so ahm doin' great with ma flip phone."

At this moment Adagio arrived, who had miraculously not tripped or bumped into anything since she hadn't removed her eyes from the screen once. She plopped down between Sunset and Aria and stayed silent.

"Hi, Dagi! Told you you'd like the game!" Sonata bounced happily.

Adagio remained silent.

Aria poked Adagio's face.

No reaction.

She poked it again.

Nothing.

"Do you think her soul's been eaten?" Pinkie Pie whispered loudly to Fluttershy.

"Uh...Adagio? You there?" Rainbow asked.

Silence. Well, except for the constant taps and cheers coming from the app game.

Someone coughed.

"Man, she's in her own little world." Rainbow Dash said.

"Well, at least she's doing something fun. She's usually so serious." Sonata shrugged. "Oh, there's Tim. Catch ya guys later!" The former siren ran off to join her boyfriend.

The other friends quietly observed Adagio until the bell rang, and they all ran off to their classes.


"There's definitely something wrong with her."

Rainbow and Aria were seated at the back of their science class, pretending to take notes while the teacher gave a lecture.

Aria shrugged at RD's comment. "It is an addictive game. I looked it up on Google. It's supposed to, like, mess with your brain or something."

Dash bounced the soccer ball underneath her desk with her foot. "So she's REALLY addicted. It's weird, though. She's even more addicted than Sonata was."

Aria stuck her pencil in her pigtail and twirled it. "Some people get more easily addicted than others. I guess Adagio just had something in her brain."

"She's so annoying though! She hasn't looked away from that screen yet! She hasn't even acknowledged us!"

"Wow, Dash, I'm surprised you even know that word."

"Aria! Seriously! We have to stop this, or it's gonna be bad." RD replied.

"How bad?"

"She could get even more addicted." RD crossed her arms.

"No shit Sherlock."

"Aren't you worried?"

"Of course I'm worried! She's my sister! But what are we gonna do, steal the phone?" Aria crumpled up her paper and threw it in the girl's fuzzy hairstyle seated in front of them. "Because the last time I took something from Adagio, it did not end well."

"What'd you take?"

Aria suddenly became very interested with her pencil. "....Nothing important." She said after a short pause.

"Okay then." Rainbow tapped her chin. "What if we find a new game for her? Something not as addicting?"

Aria shook her head. "I doubt that would work. She'd probably go straight back to Candy Crush."

RD shrugged and bounced the soccer ball into her lap. "I guess we could just wait it out."

"That would probably be the better idea. Adagio is a leader, and usually won't give up things. Then again, that means she might be addicted to it for a while."

Dash opened her mouth to speak, but at that moment the teacher said, "Are you girls finished so we can continue teaching?"

The girls hurriedly went back to their notes.

---------------

Pinkie Pie tapped her desk repeatedly while stealing glances at the clock, waiting for that little hand to hit the 48 spot. This was her usual end-of-geometry routine, longing for the bell to finally ring so she could race outside in victory of surviving another school day. Though she didn’t look it, Pinkie didn’t actually enjoy class. Everyone tended to assume that she loved everything, but that wasn’t always the case. But she didn’t dislike it as much as Rainbow Dash.

Rarity, who was seated next to her, noticed her fidgeting and slapped the table lightly. “Will you stop that tapping? I’m trying to work.”

Pinkie Pie looked back at her friend. “I can’t help it!” She whispered. “School’s almost over.” She glanced back as she heard a faint tick from the clock; her ears tended to get sharper at these times.

“Hold it for just a second, then!” She replied, and went back to her assignment.

Pinkie sighed and turned back towards the clock; her work finished, but not exactly toiled over. She knew she should probably go over the answers and redo it correctly, but there wasn’t any time for that. The bell would ring any second. Pinkie’s leg started bouncing as she stared at the slowly revolving hand.

A loud buzz rang throughout the school, and Pinkie Pie jumped in the air and yelled, “SCHOOL’S OUT!” The pink student grabbed her backpack, stuffed a cookie in her mouth, and was out the door before you could say ‘cupcake’ (though, if you did, she probably would have come running back).

Rarity, who was covered with glitter which had exploded from Pinkie’s hands when the bell rung, sighed and gathered up her work, inserting her and her friend’s assignment in the teacher’s inbox as she exited.

Outside in the school yard, Pinkie Pie raced through the crowds of people and arrived at the soccer field. Rainbow Dash had practice after school, and the friends usually all meet up there to watch the athlete.

Pinkie hopped to the top row, jumping straight over people and zigzagging through chairs. She plopped into her favorite seat, stuffed another cookie in her mouth, and swung her legs over the top of the chair, ending up upside down with her pink puffs of hair hanging down. People thought this position was weird, but nobody questioned it. There was no use in questioning Pinkie Pie.

Fluttershy, who was near the entrance to the field, quickly spotted her friend’s colorful attire amongst the dull, gray seats. She shuffled up the rows, quietly muttering ‘excuse me’s to the people in her way. She sat on the seat next to her overturned friend.

“Hey, Fluttershy!” Pinkie waved from beneath her. “Want a cookie? I have all these extras that I didn’t finish. And since you’re here, you want one?” She pulled out a cinnamon treat and waved it near her.

“Oh, I’m good. Thank you.” Fluttershy shook her head.

Pinkie shrugged. “Suit yourself.” She tossed the entire cookie in her mouth and swallowed.

“Hello, darlings.” The sound of a new voice turned their heads around to see Rarity and Sunset Shimmer ascending up the rows of seats.

“Cookie?” Pinkie held up a box of cookies from seemingly out of nowhere.

“Way too messy for my liking.” Rarity sat down on the opposite side of Pinkie Pie and Sunset sat next to Fluttershy.

“Sure.” Said Sunset.

As Pinkie tried to give the bacon-haired teen the entire box, Applejack, Adagio, and Aria appeared in front of them. They sat down on the seats straight ahead and slightly below and turned around. Well, except for Adagio. She stood still, rapidly moving her fingers all over her phone.

Aria noticed the other’s stares and sighed. “She’s been like that the entire time. She didn’t even trip while we were walking up the bleachers,” The former siren reached over Applejack and pushed Adagio’s shoulder. “I don’t think she realizes there’s a world around her.”

“Do you think she needs help?” Fluttershy tilted her head.

“These things are normal, right?” Pinkie Pie said through a mouthful of cookies. She swallowed and said, “Doesn’t it happen to everybody?”

“Hopefully she’ll snap out of it,” Sunset replied. “Usually people do.”

A blue blur stumbled into Adagio and quickly straightened up. Adagio, however, remained the exact same. The friend’s recognized the blur as Sonata. The ditzy teen waved energetically and smiled wide. “Hi, guys!”

They all returned the greeting. Sonata grabbed a cookie from Pinkie’s outstretched hand and bounded into the seat beside Applejack, the one Adagio was supposed to sit in.

“Practice should be starting soon.” Rarity clarified, brushing her curly locks.

As if on cue, Rainbow Dash hopped up the bleachers two steps at a time, carrying her soccer ball. “Sup, people,” She twirled the ball around her body. “I might take a while. Spitfire just thought up of a new routine.”

“Ooh, I know her!” Sonata waved her hand. “She’s the cheeto!”

Silence.

“Uh, what?” Applejack pondered.

“You know!” Sonata rolled her eyes. “She’s orange and her hair sticks up! She’s a walking cheeto!”

Silence. Again.

“You know, I’m just gonna pretend I never heard that,” Rainbow turned back to everyone. “She’s hoping to get us ready for the game of Friday.”

Aria crossed her arms. “I don’t understand how you can play that game,” She blew a stray hair out of her face. “Basketball is much better.”

Recently, Aria had taken up basketball. The others had basically forced her to join a team, since she was really competitive and angry. They said that would help her ball---No pun intended---up her fury and toughness into a sport. She had chosen basketball, and had surprisingly become the star player.

Never say that in front of me.” Rainbow glared at the purple haired teen.

“It’s a fact.” Aria replied. “And I was always taught to tell the truth.”

“Ooh, it’s going down downtown!” Came a muffled voice from Pinkie Pie.

“Are you guys gonna have another basket-soccer-off?” Fluttershy asked.

A week ago, Rainbow and Aria had tried to see which sport was better by having a competition combining the sports. It ended up really confusing, with nobody understanding really what was happening.

“All you do is throw a stupid ball into a stupid hoop!”

“All you do is kick a stupid ball into a stupid goal!”


Sonata and Applejack, who were between them, slightly shrunk down to get away from the students’ glares.

“Woah, hold up guys!” Sunset stood up. “I think you each have the right to hold your own decision.”

“But how can someone even think that basketball is better than---” Rainbow Dash got interrupted.

“Hey, Dash!” They all looked to the field to see Spitfire tossing a soccer ball. “We need you down here! Practice is about to start!”

“Coming!” She yelled back. “Well, see you guys later---”

“Wait!” Sonata jumped up. “Can I join?” She clasped her hands together and tilted her hands.

“Join?” Rainbow scratched her head. “I don’t think Spitfire will let you. And you might distract everyone since you’re not part of the team---” Rainbow was unable to finish her sentence since Sonata had started the puppy dog eyes.


“Uh,” Sonata moved closer. “Well, uh, I guess I could ask…”

“YAY!” Sonata clapped her hands and bounced up and down. “Come on, let’s go!” And before Rainbow could reply, the former siren had already bounded down the bleachers into the field.

“Oookay then.” Dash turned back. “See ya guys later, huh?”

They all waved back, and Rainbow followed Sonata to the field. The other’s heard Spitfire say, “Oh, she’s joining? I guess that’s alright. And Soarin, will you put down that pie for one second!”

The rest of the practice went okay, with a couple (more like fifty) trips and crashes by Sonata. The pair returned a while later, Sonata gasping and holding her side, but still smiling widely. “Let’s do that again sometime!”

“I doubt it.” Dash said. “Spitfire kept giving me angry looks whenever you messed up. She probably wasn’t too happy.”

“Oh well!” Sonata shrugged.

The rest gathered up their things and hurried down the bleachers. On the way, Adagio still didn’t look up from her phone.


At the cafe where they usually hung out after they had ordered their drinks, they sat at their favorite spot. Pinkie and Sonata immediately started playing Candy Land on the table (Pinkie Pie had pulled the board out of her hair) and Rainbow Dash and Aria had gotten into another heated argument about sports. Adagio had still not looked up from her phone and had even forgotten to order something.

“I just realized how boring those curtains are.” Rarity said while sipping from her smoothie. “They should get some new ones.”

“I think they’re fine.” Fluttershy responded. “But you’re definitely right.” She quickly added on.

“Hey, Adagio, why don’t you go order something?” Sunset said to the poofy haired teen.

Nothing.

“I got this.” Pinkie Pie wiggled the fingers on her hands. She held her arm back, and suddenly it was on Adagio’s face.

“Ow!” Adagio flinched, dropping her phone in the process. She glared at Pinkie Pie. “What was that for?”

Pinkie scooted back. “Oh, uh, nothing.”

“Ah think your phone might be cracked,” Applejack, who had picked up Adagio’s device, inspected it.

“What?” Adagio turned to look. “Oh, yeah, my phone.” She snatched it back, but before she could continue her game, Sunset Shimmer interrupted.

“Why don’t you go order?” She gestured to the counter, where Mrs. Cake was wrapping up a muffin for Vinyl Scratch.

“Order?” Adagio glanced to the counter and to her phone. Finally she pocketed her smartphone and stood up. “I guess I’ll go get a coffee.” She scooted out of the booth and to the register.

Once she was out of hearing range, Sunset turned back with a determined look on her face. “Guys, we got to get her out of that game.”

“Yeah!” Rainbow said. “She never talks anymore! She barely notices anything!”

“I thought the game would make her fun, but it’s just made her more boring!” Sonata pouted.

“She’s definitely much more isolated than before.” Rarity responded.

“Then we have to think of a plan,” Sunset clarified.

“Hands in!” Pinkie shouted. She loved doing group things.

“Sure.” Applejack put her hand next to Pinkie’s, and everyone else followed suit.

“On the count of three,” Sunset said.

“One,” Applejack said.

“Two,” Rainbow countered.

“Three!” Sonata yelled.

They all threw their hands in the air (like they just don’t care) and said, “Stop the candy!”

Kind of surprising on how they all knew exactly what to say, but that didn’t matter. They had to stop the candy.

Author's Note:

The chapter is FINALLY up! :pinkiehappy:

Sorry I haven't updated in, like, forever. :twilightsheepish:

But I've been SUPER busy! I really hate myself for making this a two part since I might not get to the next chapter for a while, but hopefully it'll be up sooner than usual!:ajsmug:

Anyway, cya for now!

Comments ( 4 )

Since Aria is some what of a bruiser, Ice Hockey might be a fitting sport. Checking, trash talking, and fighting sound like her forte.

6572160

I was thinking that, but I decided against it since I didn't think that CHS had an ice hockey team, and I wanted her to be part of a school activity. Thanks for your feedback though! :twilightsmile:

They might have to use their last resort.

6572178
Indeed, basketball is a bit more practical.

Login or register to comment