• Published 24th Feb 2015
  • 656 Views, 26 Comments

Dissonant Concourse - Wolfie 03



The first meeting of Fiona (Fiddlesticks) and Viola (Symphony), a moment when fate and balance was tipped into disharmony due to jealousy and envy. Can these two girls find balance? Or are they doomed to become the bitterist of enemies?

  • ...
2
 26
 656

Chapter 4 - Epilogue

The day was just as warm as it had been the last couple weeks. The ring of the school bell echoed through the well-kept halls. It was barely heard in the large orchestra room, as it was meant to be soundproof.

Viola smugly sat in her first chair, instrument ready to go while some of the lesser professional players were only just beginning to set up. At the last second, the second chair violinist raced through the door. The upper class teen watched, brows furrowed, as the country girl wiped at her brow, chest heaving with the effort. Viola watched, eyes scrunched in thought.

Fiona looked about the room, smiling pleasantly to the flutist sitting a few seats up from the last chair. Viola noticed this action and furrowed her brows even further, feeling a lick of anger rising up inside. Once the orange foulard wearing girl was within hearing range, she snarled.

“I’m surprised you stayed, considering how we demonstrated what it truly is like to be in the Celestia's Royal Academy Music Department.” Viola found an eye roll awaiting for her. She glared in return. “I don’t know why you bother learning about the other sections; either you or the most of the others are going to be gone before long.”

Strong blue orbs rolled again before the farmer smirked, leaning closer. “Ah’m pretty sure Ah’d win that bet. Why don’t ya wait a little longer, and we’ll see who lasts.” Fiona set her supplies down and walked to the small blonde girl, striking up a conversation.

The leader of the violins scowled, annoyance rushing through her fingertips. She curled them, staring at them before looking up once more, shock flashing in her mind. The tan girl had moved on from talking with the flute player and was talking with the assistant teacher. Viola continued watching, eyes narrowed.

“What was all that about?!”

“Why, Ah’m challengin’ ya.” Fiona crossed both arms, smirking wide.

“WHAT!?!” Viola jumped up from her seat half shouting.

“Eeeyup!”

The pale-white teen jerked back, blinking rapidly at the response. "That is NOT a word!" She finally managed to gasp out, exclaiming the first thing that came to mind. After the statement, the rest of her issues burst forth, fueled by the angry furrow the other girl now wore. “You…! You haven’t been here that long! How could possibly be ready to challenge me?!”

“That's what ya think; Ah’m gonna prove all y’all that ya ain’t the best. It won't take much to become the best of the whole of ya lot if they all play like you do.” The country gal continued smiling, only to stop when the other section members laughed.

“That’s the most foolish thing I have ever heard!” Viola was among those laughing. She also crossed her arms, staring down her nose that was flung high into the air. “You will NEVER be the best. Octavia Philharmonica is the best. She has always been the best.” A pale white hand pointed to a girl with long dark hair, sitting at the head of the cellos, undisturbed by the ruckus over in the violin section. "Also, it's 'you all' or 'all of you', not 'y'all'."

Fiona squinted her eyes briefly at the correction, brushing it under the rug for the moment. She continued to frown and looked at the others who had gathered around while the teachers were just setting up. They nodded in agreement, quietly accepting the fact.

“Y’all sound like yer never gonna get better, and with that attitude, yer not. Ya don’t play with any soul. Yer heart’s too cold.” The tan violinist leaned towards the current first chair player, jabbing towards her with her pointer finger. “Yer gonna lose that way no matter what if ya keep thinkin' and playin' like that.”

The rest of the section was stunned. Mouths open wide, they barely heard the aids telling the students to get into place. The teacher came out, holding a list of names grouped in twos. In moments, a small selection of pairs standing up at the call, heading for the small side rooms where they competed for the higher ranking chair. The two violinists were among those called up.

-DC-

Everyone got their results immediately afterwards. The two violinists waited by the teacher aid; Fiona at ease and confident while Viola frowned in concern. When they pointed to the country girl as the winner, the highbrow teen shouted in frustration.

“No! No! How could she have beaten me?!”

“Told ya, ya don’t play with yer heart. You ain’t gonna win against me, no matter how ‘fancy’ a place ya live in.” The foulard wearing girl smirked, crossing her arms and turning about to take her new seat.

Viola gave in to the urge to scream incoherently. “And you will never last at Celestia's Royal Academy; your hick mind can’t possibly keep up the grades you need to stay! And it's 'isn't' not 'ain't'!” Taking a tiny amount of joy from the angrily hurt face of the ‘new’ first chair, she turned to face the aid, disregarding the disapproving face she found there. “I demand another challenge! Immediately!”

The aid grabbed the bridge of her nose, exhaling gustily. “This is going to be a long year…” She muttered before speaking up louder. “You can’t re-challenge someone on the same day as the new results. You’ll have to wait a day. Sign up in the morning.”

Viola was about to scream once more but instead took a deep breath, clenching her fists and closing her eyes. It was the laughter from the rest of the band that brought her to her senses. She found the rest of the violin section in shock while the band themselves watched amused from their places. She stomped her way to her new place, glaring out of the corner of her eye. She found a sharp blue gaze looking just as furious towards her.

This means WAR!



The new leader of the violins fought her blush of embarrassment at being the center of ridicule from the other students. She looked around the room and found that there were a few who didn’t share in this ‘amusement’. Settling in place, she curled and uncurled her fingers around the neck of her fiddle.

Ah ain’t giving up… No matter what they say… Or how they act. Ah ain’t giving up. Fiona peeked once more to the fiddler on her right and found angry cold blues waiting. She hardened her gaze as pain rushed through her chest at what had been said moments ago. And Ah ain’t ever gonna be friends with that prissy little snob!

Author's Note:

Soooooo.... I forgot that I pretty much wrapped up the story in the last chapter but felt silly of putting a 'complete' without giving more/one last chapter. So here is an Epilogue.

I imagine that Fiona and Viola would often trade the first chair position over the course of two years. By the third year of high school, it was getting old and the teachers banned next day challenges for just them. That and it soon became more individual based music learning than full orchestra type.

Sorry it took me so long to 'complete' this. While this last chapter hasn't been checked by editors or by Mariacheat-Brony for how cannon this is. But since it's so short, I don't particular care? :applejackunsure: If you guys notice any issues or really blatant errors, please let me know via message or comment, I'd appreciate it!

EDIT: Mariacheat-Brony has confirmed this (and what I said could happen after this first few weeks of school) as cannon for the story of GTVS. Still not checked by editors though.

Comments ( 6 )

This really close to what I imagined had happened between our two violinists. The daily challenge bit is a nice idea that cemented their rivalry up to levels really out of the norm.

I imagine (no official confirmation yet) that Fiona and Viola would often trade the first chair position over the course of two years. By the third year of high school, it was getting old and the teachers banned next day challenges for just them. That and it soon became more individual based music learning than full orchestra type.

Spot on deductions on your part. As time went by the number of students in the music section diminished up to the point where only the ten we know (and love (I think)) remained.

While this last chapter hasn't been checked by editors or by Mariacheat-Brony for how cannon this is. But since it's so short, I don't particular care?

Gonna be honest here, I love that attitude :raritywink: You must write because you want to write, not because of or for someone else's desire. :twilightsmile:

All in all, I want to thank you for taking the time to write that epilogue and that short story as whole.

Dissonant Concourse has my seal of approval and I'd like to let you know that it is officially CANNON in the GTVS timeline.

Good job!

PS: and now, I'm up to read your update on 'simple life'

7643483 Hahaha! Yeah, I also wrote that (the story and the comment) late at night, after watching a scary playthrough. I was pretty well done with the story, waiting and watching the scary videos :twilightoops:

The daily challenge thing is true in the my high school band. You could challenge a higher 'chair' once a day, because otherwise things are just slowed down by those who are unwilling to give up when they lose. But Viola and Fiona are just too much for the system.

Glad it's fully cannon, because while I did want to write this since they are fun to write, I like when it actually complies and fits the story.

... You're really going to like the Simple Life chapter. :pinkiehappy:

7643933 Cool! Glad you liked it. It was amusing to write about their animosity growing. And it could have gone so much better for them! Such a shame.

7643957
small error noted:

She hardened her gaze as she pain rush through her chest at what had been said moments ago.

replace with "a"; and make rush into rushed for past tense or rushes for present tense.

Otherwise, good job! :twilightsmile:

7648192 Thanks for the note of where an error was, and for the comment itself. Glad you liked it! :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment