• Published 26th Jun 2016
  • 3,652 Views, 1,727 Comments

Shellstrings - shortskirtsandexplosions



After freakish happenstance turns Lyra Heartstrings and Queen Chrysalis into a symbiotic being, they find themselves putting their superpowers to heroic use in an ever-changing Equestria.

  • ...
42
 1,727
 3,652

PreviousChapters Next
Pleased to Meet You, Red Shine

Ponyville – Bon Bon's Bountiful Bakes – Later That Morning

"What about 'Magenta Mountainshimmer?'" Garnet bore a slight smirk. He sat in a cute little chair in front of a cute little table, his hood hanging loose around his neck. He looked across the cute little confectionery to where Bon Bon fumbled about behind the counter. "It's a very traditional title in the Crystal Empire—named after one of the founding stallions of the First Northern Bastion."

"No no no... you're not getting it, Sergeant." Bon Bon calmly slid a tray of sweets into an oven and threw it shut before twisting the timer. "You're putting too much thought into these names. The earth ponies of Ponyville are not going to give a darn about 'Magical Mountainslimer' or whoever. And those who do care might end up doing some unnecessary research into your alter-ego. Now... we can't have any of that can we?"

"Ooooh..." Garnet grimaced slightly. "Good point."

"Not that I'm knocking your history or nothing, but you want to pick something as simple, unassuming and—most importantly—two-dimensional as possible!" She washed her hooves in a sink and turned to glance over the counter at him. "Ponyville is a small town, after all, and the only big names who come here are ponies seeking the attention of Princess Twilight." She waved a hoof. "It's best that you pick a name that sticks to the shadows... just like you yourself."

"But I'm a crystal pony," Garnet said. "I know we've been over it before, but I can't help but attract attention."

"True." Bon Bon nodded. "But not many ponies know a whole lot about your kind. So... how 'bout we keep it that way, hmmm?" She tapped her chin in thought. "Now, let's see... you're red... and you're shiny..." A blink, and she smirked. "How about 'Red Shine!'"

Garnet's ears drooped. "Are you serious?"

"Heehee... definitely!"

"That is the flattest, blandest, most uninspiring name ever." Garnet shrugged. "You'd might as well name me 'Mr. Gloss.'"

"H-hey! That would work as well!"

"Is this some modern attempt at humor, Sweetie Drops?"

"'Bon Bon.'"

"Ahem... sorry..."

"Don't be." Bon Bon checked on the oven, then calmly trotted around the counter to approach the stallion. "What I'm saying is that you should choose a name that matchest what ponies expect of you... and then become something even more boring."

"In order to stir the pot as little as possible..."

"Precisely."

"It's just that..." Garnet stirred. "...the term 'Red Shine' sounds so face-value."

"I've got news for ya, buddy." Bon Bon smirked. "Earth ponies—especially the residents of Ponyville—prefer things at face-value."

"Ahhhhhh..." Garnet nodded. "But of course."

"Now do you get it?"

"I think I do." Garnet smirked. "It's a fortunate thing I do not possess a horn or wings, for I imagine that unicorns and pegasi name themselves after far more abstract things."

"That they do."

Garnet folded his forelimbs. "Might I ask—agent—how you came upon choosing the name 'Bon Bon?'"

"Mmmmmm..." Bon Bon smiled rosily into the distance. "I didn't."

"You did not?"

She shook her head. "A good friend of mine chose it."

"A good friend?"

"A very good friend. The best." She sighed. "She's... something of a basketcase from time to time... and makes me wanna strangle things at time... but..." The mare waved a hoof. "The pony's made life worth living here over the past year... and she has this wonderful way of simplifying things. I'm really lucky to have met her."

Garnet nodded. "I can see that." He cocked his head to the side. "Hopefully her closeness hasn't compromised your secrecy."

"Huh? Oh... heheh... not even in the slighest." Bon Bon looked away from him in order to hide a violently red blush. "I mean... what kind of an agent do you take me for?"

"A very well-rounded one," Garnet said. "Not quite what I had in mind?"

"Oh?"

"Well... the first member of the League I met was Chief Agent Horizons." His eyes narrowed. "And she didn't strike me as the kind of pony who would tolerate your tendency to think outside the box."

"Tell me about it. I think she's only stuck with me because—"

"Of your father?"

Bon Bon clammed up.

"I do apologize for presuming to judge," Garnet remarked. "All the facts I have about him are in writing. But you can never truly know a pony until you've shared their life aura... their love." He gulped. "That's... a crucial crystal pony philosophy, you see."

"I hear ya..."

"But for the first time—in conversing with you—I think I know precisely what kind of a stallion Chief Sugar Cane was," Garnet said. "And I'm starting to understand how he managed the League so masterfully for so long... despite their lack of resources and shortcomings."

Bon Bon took a deep breath. She tried to keep her breath steady. "You're... a really snazzy judge of character, Garnet."

"Red Shine," he said.

Bon Bon turned to look at him. She smiled. "So be it."

He nodded back. "Tell me something."

"Shoot."

"Does it... concern you that you receive so little business here at this candy establishment?"

"Hmmmm..." Bon Bon smiled. "I survive here on the League's pension."

"Oh?" Garnet blinked. "Then this confectionery is merely—"

"A front," Bon Bon said. As the oven dinged, she reached in and pulled the tray of sweets out. "Just like my alias." She waggled her eyebrows at him. "You think I actually like sweets either?"

Both ponies chuckled.

"You're a remarkable pony, Sergeant."

"Mmmm... I try." She took a breath. "Now... if I may ask you something, 'Red Shine.'"

"As you would say: 'Shoot.'"

She folded her forelimbs from behind the counter. "Why do you really think the Council of Canterlot and Plasma chose you to join the League?"

"I... figured it was because of my personal experience with Prince Miller... aka Sombra."

"But without consulting the rest of us for a vote? Like they did just last night over Princess Twilight?"

Garnet rubbed his chin. He then leaned forward in his chair. "You know... to be perfectly honest... I've been wondering about that myself..."

Bon Bon raised an eyebrow.

PreviousChapters Next