• Published 26th Jun 2016
  • 3,650 Views, 1,727 Comments

Shellstrings - shortskirtsandexplosions



After freakish happenstance turns Lyra Heartstrings and Queen Chrysalis into a symbiotic being, they find themselves putting their superpowers to heroic use in an ever-changing Equestria.

  • ...
42
 1,727
 3,650

PreviousChapters Next
Comings and Goings

Appleloosa – Retreat – Cabin – Early Morning

"Howdy, y'all!" Braeburn rolled up with the wagon. Tipping his hat, he smiled at the four mares and cheerfully chirped: "Ready to get the day goin'?"

"Sure are!" Minuette said, galloping up at a brisk pace. She hopped into the back of the wagon and rocked back and forth, grinning. "Onwards to waffles!"

"Beg yer pardon?"

"Ahem..." Lemon Hearts shuffled up. "May we make a detour into the heart of town for some breakfast, Mr. Braeburn?" She smiled gently. "If it's not too much to task."

"Think nothin' of it!" he replied. "Best to keep the body and the mind in good health, if ya ask me!"

"Mmmm-mmmm!" Minuette practically drooled. "I can practically taste the maple syrup already!"

"Don't spit on the good stallion's apple cart, Minnie. Thank you." Clearing her throat, Lemon Hearts turned towards the cabin. "Lyra? Twinkleshine? We're ready to go!"

"I'm coming!" Twinkleshine said, shuffling up. Her ears drooped slightly.

Lemon Hearts squinted. "Everything okay, Twinks?"

"Oh... oh yes." Twinkleshine bore a calm smile. She gazed calmly at the wagon behind her. "I'm doing... quite well this morning."

"Well, that's good to hear." Lemon Hearts reached a hoof out, helping Twinkleshine up into the wagon. "Ready to enjoy a long day of relaxation and therapy?"

"I'm... uhhhh... ready as ever."

"Good girl. Lyra?"

"Just a second!"

"They won't be serving breakfast forever, girrrrrrrrrl!" Minuette exclaimed.

"Such is the way of all things!" Lyra replied. She fumbled about just inside the entrance to the cabin. Standing in place, she gazed at her open saddlebag, then at her lyre. The unicorn tapped her fuzzy green chin in thought. "... ... ..." At last, with a wry smirk, she levitated the lyre up and slipped it away in her bag. Sealing the container shut, she strapped it to her flank and shuffled outside, closing the door behind her. "Here I come."

"What's with the saddlebag?" Lemon Hearts asked. "We're not going for a hike."

"Pffft..." Lyra rolled her eyes. "Just figured I'd carry all our planners. Save y'all from having to carry the weight while munching on breakfast."

"Awwwwwwwwww..." Minuette cooed. "That's sweet of you, Lyra!"

"Yes..." Twinkleshine winked at the lime mare. "And oh so thoughtful."

"I know, right?" Lyra got into the wagon beside her and sighed calmly. "Guess I've got a heart of gold."

"Mmmmm..." Lemon Hearts smiled and turned to face Braeburn. "We're ready to go, good sir."

"Yes, stallion! Forward!" Minuette pointed. "Mush! Mush!"

"Heheh..." Braeburn began a brisk trot, dragging the wagon along. "How assertive! Looks like Tree Hugger's gettin' the job done!"

"Yeah." Lyra droned. "Imagine that..."


Neigh York – Bucklyn – Early Morning

Flash Sentry left his family's apartment for the last time.

His saddlebags bulged with the last few possessions he had finally agreed on collecting.

The stallion shuffled out of the front door to the apartment's lobby.

He stopped in the middle of the sidewalk.

With a tender breath, he turned and gazed up... up... up at the lofty fire escape bordering the cloudy windows to his childhood home. All was still and barren, reflecting the golden sheen of the rising sun across the river.

His nostrils flared. With a melancholic sigh, the pegasus lifted up... and flew westward over the surrounding high-rises.


Lower Manehattan – Minutes Later

The noises of the big city echoed in the streets down below, resonating off the faces of towering steel skyscrapers. The air between and above buildings were full of pegasus taxis and transports.

Flash Sentry kept to an even higher altitude in order to avoid denser traffic. He scaled the Empire Stallion Building and passed directly over Trot's Square.

His gaze was aimed towards the north end of the island—where the nearest royal garrison was positioned. Taking calm breaths, he adjusted the weight of his saddlebag and continued gliding towards his distant target.

At some point, something caught his attention from the peripheral of his vision. He took a glance to his right—and he froze in place.

Standing taller than the rest of the Manehattan Skyrise was a single building. Big, bold letters reflected the morning sunrise, spelling out: "JASMINE."

Flash Sentry slowed to an icy drift. He bit his bottom lip while his forelimbs dangled. Several breaths later, and he looked north yet again.

Rows upon rows of gray urbanity stretched before him. It'd be a good thirty minutes before he arrived at his destination—not that he had a deadline. He wasn't expected to report at the Garrison for another three days at least.

The stallion lingered there on flapping wings. The high altitude winds kicked at his mane and tail.

"Mrmmmffff..."

He closed his eyes... and when he reopened them—he found himself flying straight towards the tallest skyscraper.

The seven letters of "JASMINE" came closer and closer, glinting in the morning light. The shiny windows rippled gray and blue. The corners of the concrete summit blinked with a red pulse.

Suddenly...

...Flash Sentry braked in mid-air. His saddlebags jostled as he came to a stop. He sighed long and hard.

"No..."

Swallowing a lump down his throat, the guard forced himself to face due north again.

"No... it's..."

He drifted towards his destination—slowly this time.

"...it's not worth it. It's just... too big." He shook his head, muttering to himself in a voice that even he could scarcely hear over the windy gusts. "Don't be an idiot. Just... follow the rules." He swallowed, his breath growing dry and drier. "Follow the rules, soldier, and... do your job..."

He could feel the distance growing between him and the skyscraper in question. The hairs on the back of his neck bristled, but he tried his best to ignore them.

And he failed.

PreviousChapters Next