• Published 26th Jun 2016
  • 3,652 Views, 1,727 Comments

Shellstrings - shortskirtsandexplosions



After freakish happenstance turns Lyra Heartstrings and Queen Chrysalis into a symbiotic being, they find themselves putting their superpowers to heroic use in an ever-changing Equestria.

  • ...
42
 1,727
 3,652

PreviousChapters Next
Filthy Imbalanced

"It is now going into the second week since a military band of Yaks from Yakyakistan infiltrated the Mirror Caverns located north of the Crystal Kingdom's Capital and held a group of ponies against their will."

Manehattan - Manehattan Daily News Headquarters – Ground Floor Studio

An attractive earth pony mare with a short-short blonde mane and sea-blue eyes sat at a desk. She stared into a large camera aimed at her from across a news studio while several members of the television crew stood out of frame. A stallion wearing headphones shuffled and held up large, bold cue cards, and the anchorpony read the text as she continued with the broadcast.

"The twenty-four crystal ponies—twenty-two of which are young schoolfoals around the ages of seven and eight—were visiting the famous Natural Wonder for a field trip from the Noble Crystalline Academy when twelve armored yaks wandered into the Mirror Caverns unannounced, overwhelmed security, and sealed the entrance to the caves off from the outside world. For eight days since, the yaks have refused to leave the location or relinquish their hold of the crystal pony children and their chaperones.

"According to military aides representing the Crystal Imperial Defense Force, the yaks were patrolling the frozen northern wastes as part of a common Yakyakistanian ritual called 'Thunder Month,' which traditionally includes military sparring, yeti hunting, and the copious consumption of Ice Mead.

"When asked about a chance for a peaceful solution to the situation, Captain Shining Armor of the Crystal Imperial Defense Force was quoted as saying, 'Princess Cadance is making progress in appealing to the yak militants. The twenty-four hostages are in good health, and rest assured that we will have them reunited with their families soon.' According to our sources in the North Passage, the yaks are said to be demanding the reappropriation of several acres of agricultural territory to Yakyakistanian sovereignty. When questioned on the topic, representatives at the Yakyakistanian Embassy here in Manehattan denounced the actions of the twelve yak militants, stating 'Yaks don't make wars with non-yaks who are weaker than yak-yaks.'"

At the culmination of this bit, the stallion in headphones flipped to a new card. In hastily scribbled red ink, the posterboard red: "Commercial Break."

The anchorpony at the desk opened her muzzle... but fumbled for words. She blinked, then glanced down at her hooves. A sheet of paper in her grasp featured a typewritten news story that was yet to be read.

"And... uhm..."

She fidgeted... fidgeted some more... than put on a bright smile.

"...now a word from our sponsor!" Her cheeks twitched a bit in attempting to maintain the grin.

Members of the crew signaled one another. A hoof pointed. A second.

Then the green light above the main camera switched to red.

"Alright! Eight minutes!" The studio director trotted briskly to the desk. "Brilliant, Satin! You nailed it! Like... whammo! Torpedo'd right in the keister!"

"Yeah... uhm... just call me 'Ms. Cinders,' please," the mare said. Two mares rushed up from off-set with makeup and she shoo'd them away. "I'm good! Scram!" She cleared her throat and faced the stage director once more. "Uhm... Mike. Why'd we go to commercial break?"

"Well, as you know, Dr. Pony is our chief sponsor and if we don't give them their eight minute segments on the hour, then—PLOW! There goes our funding!"

"Mike..." Satin Cinders frowned. A tiny golden strand of hair dangled over her brow and she swiftly brushed it back in place with her hoof. "Onomatopoeia aside... it's almost looking as though the story on the Manehattan gambling ring busts has been removed."

"Oh. That's because it has!" Mike grinned from ear to ear. "Scrkkkk! Had to rip it out! That slot went to the Yakyakistanian situation! Eheheh..."

"Mike, I worked hard on that story."

"I don't see why you should." Mike blinked. "Isn't this new gig of yours working out a lot more nicely?"

"This 'gig' was forced on me," Satin Cinders huffed. "I'm only doing it until we find a prettier face."

"Ain't no face in Manehattan prettier than you."

"Look—just tell me why the segment was cut."

"Do you think I know the reason for that?"

She glared. "Sometimes I wonder if you even know how to button your collar."

"Ouch."

"Whose big idea was this, anyways?" Satin Cinders folded her forelimbs. "Because I don't see how playing a clip of caffeinated beverages being poured into cups at slow speed is somehow more important than the gambling and drug trade being exposed here in Manehattan."

"Well, you're going to have to work your way upstairs for answers, babe."

Satin Cinders sighed as the blonde strand dangled loosely again. "Let me guess..."


Manehattan - Manehattan Daily News Headquarters – Fortieth Floor – Executive Office – Thirty Minutes Later

"I'll tell you why we cut it." A zebra spun about in his desk chair and scowled. "Because it's a crock of shit!"

"Bleed... come on..." Satin Cinders stood before his desk, frowning. Beyond the glass walls of the office, countless ponies squatted at cubicles, answering phones and hammering away at typewriters. "Don't insult me like this. I've worked just as hard on this story as I have on all the others for this agency. Have I ever let you down before?"

"You shouldn't be working hard anymore. It'll ruin your perfect smile," the zebra grunted, rummaging through early drafts of news articles laid across his desk. "We just now began our multimedia broadcasting division. Television is the wave of the Equestrian future, and it needs a pretty face to get all the miserable shit across. That shit-coverer is you."

"I only agreed to be the anchorpony because you wouldn't choose anypony else!" Satin Cinders exclaimed. "Let's face it—you coerced me!"

"Darling, there ain't nopony else for the job," Bleed replied. "You ever looked in the mirror lately? You'd drop Princess Cadance dead at a beauty contest anyday."

"So, what?!" Satin Cinders huffed. "I'm just to... hoof in my journalistic career for being a cheesy grin on a black and white metal box from here to Ragneighrok?! If I knew that this was the sort of nonsense I'd be in for, I'd never have agreed!"

"You seemed to agree pretty damn quick when you saw the pay raise," Bleed grunted.

Satin bit her lip. "I've... been going through a rough patch financially..."

"Join the club." Bleed flipped through more editorials. "Look, Satin—"

"Ms. Cinders."

"Don't get snippy with me. We've worked together for far too long." Bleed cleared his throat. "If you wanna get anywhere in this business, you need to stampede in the direction that the bits take you. You're a young mare with a hell of a lot of talent... so why not take the easy road when it's paved for you?" He gestured with an unshorn fetlock. "For years, you've pursued all of these... hard-hitting conspiratorial angles... and just where has it gotten you? I'd say take this prissy anchorprincess opportunity and run with it."

"My leads are not 'conspiratorial.' I have substantial sources!" Cinders exclaimed. "And they all lead to a very disconcerting pattern right here in Manehattan!" She pointed out the windows. "Someone or something is making ponies disappear in those dirty streets! Every time a gambling ring is busted... the names of missing citizens pile up! I think there's someone in the rafters pulling the strings of everything that's corrupt in Manehattan, and if we can just figure out who it is... then maybe crime will drop significantly in this city! Sharing this with the Equestrian public will build awareness and lead to change! Wouldn't that be a good thing?"

"You talk as though you're expecting the viewing audience to be a bunch of white knights and not the drooling morons that they really are," Bleed said. "Ponies don't watch television to see justice served, Satin. They wanna hear about dramatic bullshit and then have their mouth water over Dr. Pony."

"So... you believe me, then?" Cinders squinted. "There is some sort of organized crime ring haunting this city. You just don't want to cover it because there's no profit in doing the right thing."

"Don't be so moronic!" Bleed spat. "This is journalism! I wouldn't be in this business if I wasn't a saint underneath!"

Just then, the door opened and a stallion stuck his head in. "Mr. Reads! Sorry for interrupting, but I figured you might want to know that we got Professor Farrier from Canterlot University signed up for Tuesday."

"Great!" Bleed said. "Pay him five hundred bits in advance and make sure that he commits to spending thirty minutes talking down Princess Celestia's latest health care reforms."

"Got it, chief." And the stallion rushed back out.

Satin Cinders blanched. "We... only broadcast one slot per day! What's with the opinion segment? It's not like we're airing twenty-four hours!"

Bleed pointed. "There will come a time. You'll see." A black and white smirk. "A stallion can dream, can't he?"

"At least someone's entitled," Satin huffed. "You're going to air this story of mine, chief. Sooner than later."

"Oh blow it out your pretty ear. You wanna save the world? Move back into the print department." Bleed waved her off as he spun around in his office chair. "It's one hell of a downgrade, though. And considering your... 'financial situation...'"

Satin sighed, shuffling towards the door. "Yeah. Thanks. Great. Nice to know you're on my side, chief."

"You're welcome. Just saving your butt, is all." Bleed snorted. "Heroes don't end up rich, Satin. And as for Manehattan? Yeah... it's crooked. Filthy too. Don't need to turn on the news to figure that out. Just open the window."


Satin Cinders slumped into the chair at her desk.

She sighed.

Pivoting about, she gazed lethargically out her office window.

The Manehattan skyline loomed in glinting urban brilliance. Zeppelins puttered in the distance while ships rolled in and out of the harbor.

Satin Cinders stared and stared. At last, her lips moved: "Just who has you in their pocket, chief?"

Slowly, she gazed up at a bulletin board chock-full of photographs and news clippings that made up a complex diorama of crime scenes, murder statistics, and questionable figureheads. At least a dozen grim-faced stallion businessponies peered down at her, all tied together with a near-schizophrenic webwork of red string... only there was no center to the frenetic geometry.

"I wish everything was as simple as pointing out mead-thirsty yaks," she murmured. "Or perhaps I just need to get deeper in the filth."

Another sigh, and she opened a drawer to her desk. In it, a gold-framed newspaper rested. It featured "Satin Cinders" as the editor, and the headline read: "Princess of Friendship Defeats Lord Tirek – Equestrian Magic Restored."

The mare brushed a string of blonde hair back over her brow as she bore a bittersweet smile. "Or perhaps the problem is... the only real heroes are so far away...?"

Her eyes rested on the smiling image of a lavender alicorn...

PreviousChapters Next