• Published 26th Jun 2016
  • 3,650 Views, 1,727 Comments

Shellstrings - shortskirtsandexplosions



After freakish happenstance turns Lyra Heartstrings and Queen Chrysalis into a symbiotic being, they find themselves putting their superpowers to heroic use in an ever-changing Equestria.

  • ...
42
 1,727
 3,650

PreviousChapters Next
Rhinoceros National Convention

Blue Crescent – Hallways

Bon Bon, Sharp Quill, Haze, and Garnet shuffled down the long white corridor leading away from the meeting room.

"A very passionate speech you gave, Garnet," Haze remarked, drawing a hood over his leafy ears. Fangs flashed from underneath. "Although I feel that some of your... rather polarizing statements on Princess Luna could stand further examination."

Garnet swallowed. "I apologize if I came across as overzealous. Fact is, I truly believe in the initiative of Princess Platinum—"

"Plasma," Sharp Quill corrected.

Garnet winced. "My apologies." He gulped. "My... uh... my timeline. I used to a different princess' legacy."

"It's quite alright, Garnet."

"Is it?" Garnet glanced at the others. "Just how many times have I been calling the leader of Blue Nova Industries 'Princess Platinum?'"

"I've got a better question," Sharp Quill droned. "Who cares?"

"Heh..." Haze smirked from underneath his hood. "Shouldn't we all be taking this situation a bit more seriously? Plasma's gang is talking about restructuring the nature of Equestrian defense. Maybe even the damn government."

"For the better," Garnet said.

"Yeah. Sure. That's easy to believe in and all... but..." Haze sighed. "We're monster hunters. I was never... we were never meant to be responsible for political functions."

"That's why we always operated in secrecy," Sharp Quill said.

"Precisely."

"Then..." Garnet squinted. "If you all feel that way, why did you vote for 'yay' like I did?"

"Because I have faith in Plasma when she says that the vote will be taken to the Canterlot Court next," Haze said. "If this whole procedure is performed officially—and by that I mean through the right channels with the Court and with royalty—then I can live with my conscience."

"You mean you can focus on squashing changelings out in the open," Sharp Quill said.

"Assuming we'll even be allowed to perform lethal force once we're public," Haze remarked with a coy smirk. He spoke over his shoulder. "Isn't that right, Sweetie Drops?"

"Mmmfff..." Bon Bon exhaled, staring down at the throat. "Sure."

Garnet smiled back at her. "We shall... meet up in Ponyville sometime?" He blinked. "To discuss a civilian lifestyle?"

Bon Bon looked up at him. After a blink or two, she gave a delayed response: "Oh. Sure thing, Garnet. Just like I promised—I'll be more than happy to show you the ropes."

"Splendid..." Garnet breathed with relief. "I would very much like to blend in now that I'm stationed here in Central Equestria."

"Yeah, well..." Sharp Quill slapped his glossy shoulder as the rest marched on ahead. "Good luck with that."

Haze chuckled.

Bon Bon lingered at the rear. Just as she passed by a supply room door...

...a thick, wrinkly hoof grabbed her by the tail and yanked her inside.

Blue Crescent – Supply Closet

"Gah!" Gnashing her teeth, Bon Bon batted the hoof away, produced a grappling hook in one hoof—Schiiiiing!—and a taser in the other. Bzzzzzzzt! "Back off, you dirty—" The agent blinked, ears drooping. "...Besty?"

Thud! The rhino in question slammed the door shut and spun to hiss in Bon Bon's face. "Have you gone out of your fuzzy little head?!"

"The Hell's gotten into you?"

Growling, Betsy waved her horn between them. "I thought you had your dad's brains, girl! I thought you cared about the League and Equestria abroad!"

"What?" Bon Bon's brow furrowed. "Is this about the vote we just took—?"

"You've gotta have the skull of a tube worm to think that Princess Platinum's gang is anything but bad news!"

"For one, it's Princess Plasma."

"Whatever—!"

"For another..." Bon Bon took a deep breath. "I'm convinced, alright? If we're gonna go public, we would do best to make peace with Princess Twilight. She's young. She's smart. And if you want a real litmus test for corruption, she's our mare!"

"Bullshit!" Betsy hissed. "You're the closest thing the League ever had to a moral compass! You knew that everything being said at the meeting was sketchy as buck!"

"Betsy..."

"Don't lie to me! I know you!" The rhino's eyes narrowed. "You were mulling it over for a long time. Hell, I'm surprised you even raised your hoof in the end!"

"You think we have a choice in what's going on?" Bon Bon exclaimed.

Betsy blinked at that. "Huh?" She snorted angrily. "Alright... what the Hell do you know that I don't?"

"I know that if there's any nasty hoof to be dealt, then we're not going to sniff the crooks out by letting things stay stagnant." Bon Bon gestured. "Look... this is between you and me, but Chief Agent Horizons suspects that something is fishy with this whole 'Blue Nova' thing."

"No shit..." Betsy shook angrily. "So that's why you were throwing goo-goo eyes at each other before you both voted at the last second!" She stomped her thick hooves. "Rnnngh! We could have had a hung vote, ya melon fudge!"

"Shhhhhh!" Bon Bon dragged Betsy deeper into the closet. "Don't you get it, Betsy?!" She flung a nervous look at the brightly-lit crack in the doorframe. "Something's at work here that's bigger than the League... bigger than the Canterlot Court... bigger than all of us!"

"Then let's blow this joint!"

"To what end?! We've got nothing to prove! Not yet!'

Betsy blinked.

"Okay... so... Horizons is highly dubious of this Garnet fellow," Bon Bon said. "Personally, I think he's a good pony—BUT... he's playing into the hooves of Blue Nova and those in charge of it. You heard that speech he gave at the meeting! He's an out-of-time patriot whom they can manipulate. So... as a favor to Horizons... I'm getting really chummy with him... trying to find out just what the new League wants to do with him." She swallowed. "In the meantime... we're letting this whole movement go their way..."

"So they can expose themselves to our scrupulous eyes..."

"Exactly..."

"That sounds unnecessarily stupid, convoluted, and downright dangerous." Betsy blinked. "Damn... I think I'm getting turned on already..."

"You understand now?"

"Then... shit..." Betsy sneered. "I should have played along too! Dammit! Girl, why didn't you tell me before—"

"Shhhhh..." Bon Bon grasped Betsy's leathery shoulders. "No, Betsy. You gotta be you... now more than ever..."

"Uhhhhhhhhh... you sure?"

"Just as much as Horizons is relying on me to play the innocent little daughter-of-a-chief, you gotta keep up with the whole 'fat grumpy loose trigger' thing."

"Hey." Betsy frowned. "I'm not 'grumpy.'"

"You know what I mean..."

Betsy sighed. "When I got into the spy business, I thought it was gonna be the head-butting and explosions kind... none of that debonair deception shit."

"Things change. Equestria definitely is. Looks like Blue Nova wants to change along with it. But perhaps it's too early for a change of this kind?"

"How do I know?"

"That's just it. You don't. Neither do I. But—like it or not—we're both in the exact time and place that matters." Bon Bon took a deep breath. "We gotta play along... at least until more clues surface."

"And then what?"

"What else?" Bon Bon stood up straight. "We bring the real monsters of Equestria to justice... whoever that might end up being."

Betsy nodded. "Yeah... okay... I can buy that."

"Good. So..." Bon Bon raised an eyebrow. "...could you maybe not yank me randomly into dark supply closets? It could arouse suspicion."

"Knowing who you lived with in Ponyville, I figured you were comfortable with closets."

"... ... ...huh?"

"Oh Sweetie Drops..." Betsy opened the door, looked out into the hallway, then made a stealthy exit. "...if only you were all smarts."

Bon Bon lingered by herself inside the compartment. Alone.

Her muzzle scrunched. "We're just friends, dammit..." She rubbed her muzzle, sighing. "And right about now... I could really use some friendship and a tall glass of cider..."

She eventually made a limp exit herself.

PreviousChapters Next