• Published 26th Jun 2016
  • 3,652 Views, 1,727 Comments

Shellstrings - shortskirtsandexplosions



After freakish happenstance turns Lyra Heartstrings and Queen Chrysalis into a symbiotic being, they find themselves putting their superpowers to heroic use in an ever-changing Equestria.

  • ...
42
 1,727
 3,652

PreviousChapters Next
If You Let Go of the Controller, Lyra Steers to the Right

Desert – South of Appleloosa – Late Afternoon

A scorpion fled on skittering little legs, barely avoiding the green hooves of a disgruntled unicorn marching her way south over an arid plateau.

Lyra snorted, her jaw locked in an endless frown.

"'Lemon Hearts, hero to friends,'" she muttered. Her lime brow furrowed. "More like 'Lame Whore, whore to freaks.'" She broke her frown—if only to smirk at herself. "Yeah. That's right. I said it. Double-whore. More like... whore squared... when a hussy multiplies with slut..." Her ears twitched. "Trollop cubed?" At last, she hung her head with a moaning sigh. "This is why I never write lyrics..."

She passed by a stalk or two of cacti. Her fetlock brushed past a pile of stones, causing pebbles to rattle down the steep incline of rock behind her.

"So what if I jumped ship years ago?" Her muzzle scrunched as she glared daggers at the ground. "Can you blame me for knowing a hopeless case when I see it?" Her tail swished in the dry, heated air. "It's not like I've g-given up on Minuette and Twinkleshine... right?" She gulped. "I just... can't stand to feel miserable all the time... just 'cuz..."

The mare closed her eyes... and sighed.

"... ... ...Bon Bon's going to kill me when I get home." She bit her lip. "Who cares about Lemmy... I owe Bonnie everything. Ah jeez... what am I going to do?"

She felt a shift in the ground's curvature.

Scuffling to a stop, Lyra reopened her eyes. Her muzzle hung agape slightly.

The mare had reached the crest of the plateau. Before her, a deliciously flat plane of barren rock stretched east to west—broken intermittently by sparse cacti, boulders, and the occasional shrubbery. Large mesas loomed in the distance; layers of eroded rock glinted prismatically in the slowly dying sunlight.

Lyra blinked. Slowly, her muzzle curved into a mischievous smile.

"Well... guess I've got lots of ground to cover before my roommate murders me..."

Lyra was alone, and it was only a few hours until sunset. Traversing into the desert at this time of the day would have been the stupidest thing she could ever have done—especially if she was completely by herself.

Shifting the weight of her saddlebag, she took a bold step forward... and trotted boldly into the arid vastness.


Lyra Heartstrings trotted south.

She wandered past boulders... seas of gravel... gnarled deadwood...

A fine layer of sweat covered her body, but she didn't seem to mind. The mare had a thick canteen full of water, and she kept herself decently hydrated. When there was a particularly crooked rock formation offering shade—she took a few minutes to relax in the coolness before continuing on.

The mare wasn't entirely certain what she was looking for—but every moment she contemplated turning back, she'd spot newer intricacies in the otherwise barren landscape and she would press on.

About an hour into the trek, Lyra wandered past the decrepit remains of a collapsed cabin. The wooden beams were almost completely missing—with only a faint rectangular outline denoting where the structure had once been erected. A pile of stones was all that remained of the building's chimney, and vultures had evidently build a nest in the remaining stack—a nest that was also abandoned.

In the next hour, Lyra strolled past a series of scattered bones. The skull of the petrified beast was massive, with narrow spaces in the calcified surfaces for long-deteriorated cartilage. After drawing a blank, Lyra realized that it had to have been the fossils of a dragon that fell dead in the desert countless years ago. It was a scary, frightening sight.

Lyra kept trotting.

The skies were clear, and yet Lyra heard the distinct roar of thunder. Curious, she spun a full three-sixty, glancing all around. At last, she saw a column of dust rising high to the east. Squinting... she made out several dark round figures stampeding through the desert. It was the first time she had ever seen a herd of buffalo, and although they swiftly vanished over the edge of the adjacent plateau, Lyra couldn't help but stare the entire time in mesmerized silence.

In the third hour, a dumb smile had spread across Lyra's muzzle that would not leave. She was lost in the moment... in the ecstatic emptiness and spatial grandeur of the desert arena. Lyra trotted past steep rock formations, her eyes scanning the various darkening lines brought forth from the decay of time. She was a lone mortal swallowed by eternity, a miniscule speck of dust floating through the desolate enormity of everything.

And while it should have filled her with ennui... it didn't. The whole trek felt like her casual stroll through Canterlot weeks ago—except one glaring thing was missing: ponies.

Lyra couldn't remember the precise time and place when being alone had become a precious commodity. But on that dying afternoon—with civilization unseen and voices unheard—she didn't care to keep score.


"Grnnngh..." Sweating, covered with dust, Lyra pulled herself up a short cliff to a bouldery promontory on the edge of a plateau. She used her teeth, clamping her jaws over the exposed root of a dying tree. At last, after much gruntwork, she ascended the stony edge and stood victoriously on the narrow patch of raised rock.

The mare brushed herself off—using her tail as a duster for the hard-to-reach spots along her mint green coat. Pivoting about, she took one look northwest of her... and she exhaled heavily.

The sun was setting, and its burning red rays illuminated the heart of a gaping canyon in a crimson sheen. Various layers of rock shimmered from yellow to orange to scarlet. If somepony had told Lyra that the canyon housed a river of wine, she would have believed it in a heartbeat. Pivoting west, Lyra squinted, watching as the sharp mesas sliced the setting sunlight in rigid, geometric swaths, allowing a shadowed patchwork of cool haze to bathe the desert stage as if some cosmic curtains had fallen. The air grew cooler... softer... and—looking straight up—Lyra watched in real time as the sky turned to a melting purple, with only the barest hint of stars.

"Hmmmmm..." The mare smiled deliriously, her eyelids hanging heavy. She was tired from her walk... but not sleepy. Even still, if the universe willed it, Lyra would gladly fall asleep right then and there, never to wake for a million years. "Therapy my bouncy green butt." She grinned. Teeth glinted.

And...

Thwump!

...the mare plopped down on her haunches.

With a calm breath, Lyra levitated her lyre free and floated it beside her. She faced the distant canyon, embracing the amber colors as her sacred audience for the evening.

One string after another, she plucked harmonic notes into the dry air, delighting as the cooling wind carried the melody far and wide.

"Mmmmmmm... 'Ballad of the Princess,'" she addressed her own unfinished opus like it was a shy sibling. "Take me away."

And it did.

Lyra sank into the music, eyes closed and sighing.

PreviousChapters Next