• Published 26th Jun 2016
  • 3,650 Views, 1,727 Comments

Shellstrings - shortskirtsandexplosions



After freakish happenstance turns Lyra Heartstrings and Queen Chrysalis into a symbiotic being, they find themselves putting their superpowers to heroic use in an ever-changing Equestria.

  • ...
42
 1,727
 3,650

PreviousChapters Next
Who Watches the Watchmares?

485 Faust Lane – Two Hours Later – Bon Bon's Room

Bon Bon drooled. Just a little bit.

Her body draped in mid-air, carried aloft by a beam of amber telekinesis.

Lyra strained, sweating visibly as she shuffled up the stairs. Step after careful step, she levitated her roommate with unicorn magic and guided her into her bedroom. At last, she laid Bon Bon gently down onto her bed and released her magic.

Exhaling with relief, the mare reached forward and tucked Bon Bon in. Lyra wiped the sweat from her brow and turned to make a quiet exit—

She lingered in place.

"... ... ..."

Lyra turned to gaze at Bon Bon in mid-slumber. Then, with stealthy magic, she slid the drawer in Bon Bon's bedside table slightly open. She peeked in, catching the metal glint of a crossbow, the polished surface of a sound stone, and the glossy frame to a photograph featuring Bon Bon and an old stallion with a graying mane.

Lyra bit her lip. At last, the guilt of the moment overtook her, and she slid the drawer back shut with a sigh.

"You're getting rusty..." Lyra smiled tiredly at her roommate. "...Secret Agent Candy Butt."

Bon Bon stirred slightly, turned over, and nuzzled her fluffy pillow.

Lyra turned around. She headed out of the room, then paused in the doorway. Grasping the handle, she peered back at the bed where her best friend lay.

"Bon Bon, I may never understand who you really are," Lyra whispered to the walls. "But one of these days... I promise..." She gulped, her voice slightly shaky. "...I'm gonna protect you... just like you've protected me." She bit her bottom lip. "I'll... make it all up to you." She closed the door. "Somehow."

Bon Bon was alone with the shadows.


Lyra rummaged and rummaged through several old, dusty drawers in her bedroom.

At last—beneath three or four plastic-wrapped scrapbooks—she unearthed a tiny picture frame of even tinier ponies.

Squinting, Lyra levitated the frame until it hovered before her eyes in the lamplight.

Six unicorn fillies sat around a colorful table, munching on doughnuts, giggling, smiling. At least such was the case with most of them. Two ponies in particular looked a great deal more distracted than the others. Lyra spotted Twilight Sparkle with face nose stuck muzzle-deep in a textbook.

And then she saw herself... staring out the Canterlot cafe window and away from the camera. She was the only filly not smiling. Even Twilight—despite being monumentally distracted—bore a noticeably intellectual grin.

Lyra stared for a prolonged period of time. At last, after satiating her melancholic nostalgia, she slid the frame back into her mostly-forsaken drawer of scrapbooks. In so doing, she accidentally knocked loose an old, faded newspaper clipping that had yellowed over time. Her horn's magic caught the sheet as it fluttered to the floor. As the thing spun around, Lyra caught the bold-printed words of "APARTMENT" and "FIRE". She clenched her eyes shut and shoved the clipping away before she could register anything more. With a sigh of finality, she shoved the drawer shut.

Lyra leaned against the wardrobe for a while.

"Get out of your head."

Limply, she turned around, reached into her closet, and started packing several of her belongings—horseshoes, hiking boots, outdoor jackets—into one of two saddlebags.

"Better get prepared before cowardice sets in." Lyra sighed through a bitter smile. "One week... Ahhhhhh... buck my life."

PreviousChapters Next