• Published 26th Jun 2016
  • 3,650 Views, 1,727 Comments

Shellstrings - shortskirtsandexplosions



After freakish happenstance turns Lyra Heartstrings and Queen Chrysalis into a symbiotic being, they find themselves putting their superpowers to heroic use in an ever-changing Equestria.

  • ...
42
 1,727
 3,650

PreviousChapters Next
Heroes and Failures

Outskirts of Appleloosa – Tree Hugger's Cabin – Front Stoop

"What..." Lemon Hearts' lips trembled. "...d-did you say?"

Lyra took a deep breath. "You heard me." She glared, eyes narrowing. "You've never ever truly forgiven yourself for what happened to all of us back in Canterlot, have you?" Her eyebrow raised as she paced around the unicorn. "Three of your bestest-best friends... turned into bridesmaids by a friggin' monster. They had their bodies compromised... their heads violated... their spirits turned upside down. When they were eventually discovered... they were all a bunch of sobbing messes. It took days for the three of us to even conquer the panic-stricken insomnia plaguing our systems." Lyra shuddered slightly, but powered through it as she scuffled to a stop. "All of those horrible things happened to us. You couldn't do a thing about it then, Lemon Hearts... and you can't do a thing about it now."

"I... I've only tried to help," Lemon Hearts murmured. "I only wanted to help you feel better..."

"Have you?" Lyra blinked. "Lemmy, we feel better. Minuette has a job. Twinkleshine has two. I've got a life in Ponyville and... and are we perfect?!" She swiftly shook her head. "No. Not by a long shot. Minuette's got this unhealthy manic obsession with doughnuts. Twinkleshine still gets panic attacks. And me? I struggle with finding a career focus. But guess what? All of those things? Those are challenges and hardships. And challenges and hardships are a fact of life." She gestured. "Just because you're imperfect doesn't mean you're sick."

"But you need therapy." Lemon frowned. "All the girls do! What you went through—"

"Was super stinking horrible! I know! But Lemmy..." Lyra shrugged wildly. "...you can't change the past! And making us obsess over it just because you missed the pain train and can't come up with another way to salvage your old friends from Traumatization Land is no excuse for putting us through some stupid, inane psychological obstacle course!"

"These counseling sessions will only make you all better!"

"No, it's all about making you feel better!" Lyra barked. "And at this rate, it's never going to happen! You've got total hackjobs taking advantage of you and—in the meantime—you've got your friends bending backwards at angles they shouldn't have to because we're not the ones who have to be cured of this crazy, obsessive changeling complex that you suffer from!"

"Lyra—"

"Learn to let us go, Lemmy!" Lyra exclaimed. "It'll be okay! I promise! I mean... we get more peace of mind from just hanging out together than we do in stuffy offices and clinics! Maybe things were different several months ago, but we're doing a lot better now! At least better than you think! Have some faith in your friends, Lemon Hearts! Let companionship mend the soul! Not hippies with textbooks!"

"If you think for one moment that I'm going to give up on my best friends—"

"What's to give up on?! Who's giving up?!" Lyra gestured wildly. "Lemon Hearts, stop trying to be a damned hero all the time—!"

"Like you're anypony to lecture me on being a hero!" Lemon Hearts snarled, fighting tears. "The only mare you've ever tried saving was yourself!"

"Oh come on—"

"Face it, Lyra! You're the same self-serving unicorn you've ever been! If you tried caring for others a little harder, then maybe you wouldn't have crawled out of that apartment alone!"

Silence.

"Wow..." Lyra's expression was bitter—far from hurt. "Friggin' wow." She bore a caustic smirk. "That's where we're reaching? Seriously?"

Lemon Hearts merely shivered in place, avoiding Lyra's gaze.

"I call you out on your deluded bullcrap... and all you can do is lash out." Lyra slowly shook her head. "Doesn't take a psychiatrist degree to know when a mare's lost all her emotional defenses—"

"Are you done?!" Lemon Hearts sneered. "Because at this point, I don't want you anywhere near us for the rest of these sessions."

Lyra took a deep, fuming breath. "Alright." Her horn glowed. With telekinetic swiftness, her saddlebag shot out the window and hooked around her flank—lyre and all. "If that's the way you want it... fine. This is a vacation for all of us, right?" She turned tail and marched across the compound. "I can get my own therapy anywhere I want!"

"Good..." Lemon Hearts huffed. "...try far, far away from everypony else."

"Way ahead of you!" Lyra shuffled straight forward... and she found open desert in waiting. "The acoustics of this place suck anyways! Among other things..."

Lemon Hearts turned away, fuming. As Lyra left, however, her trembles doubled. She leaned against the side of the cabin for support... but it was of little comfort. The unicorn's knees buckled, and she collapsed slightly, cradling her muzzle in two shivering hooves as the tears flowed freely. Lyra's words burned in her folded ears... at least until a stubborn bloodrush of determination washed them out. Then—taking a few minutes to compose herself—Lemon Hearts stood tall and proud... and stumbled her way back into the cabin.

Lyra, in the meantime, had become a lime green speck along the southern horizon...

PreviousChapters Next