• Published 26th Jun 2016
  • 3,650 Views, 1,727 Comments

Shellstrings - shortskirtsandexplosions



After freakish happenstance turns Lyra Heartstrings and Queen Chrysalis into a symbiotic being, they find themselves putting their superpowers to heroic use in an ever-changing Equestria.

  • ...
42
 1,727
 3,650

PreviousChapters Next
The Plateau

Desert – Night

A barren plateau stretched before and above Lyra.

It was utter torture to gallop up the stone incline, but Lyra pressed at it. The camp was far behind her now, and the wolves were closing in. She had only one goal: to get to high ground. The higher the better. It was the only waking thing in her mind... and mind that she stood to lose pretty soon... along with all her flesh.

"Mfmmff... guhhh... goddess... goddess... please..." Lyra sniffled and heaved. Tears had mixed with the sweat pouring down her muzzle. Every nerve tingled, carrying her forward on sheer adrenaline and dread. "Goddess... please... I-I'm so sorry... please... just... please help m-me..."

Claws scraped and scraped.

They came from all sides behind her. She was about to be surrouned.

"Mmmmm..." Lyra whimpered. Lyra shuddered. Lyra saw—

Lights.

"...?!" She looked up in a flash.

At the top of the plateau, there stood a cliff, just beyond a layer of thornbushes. A light beamed—like a beacon. Bright and green and inviting.

"Help!" she shouted. She flashed one look behind her and wished that she hadn't.

The pack closed in. Teeth and claws and moonlit eyes. All growling.

"You gotta help me! Please!" Lyra threw her muscles forward, hopping over jagged chunks of stone, stumbling over sticks and pebbles. "They're everywhere! Light something! Toss a fire down! I'm begging you! I'm begging—"

Growls. Bodies lunged. Thick and hairy.

"Aaaagh!" Lyra tripped. She fell to her belly, awash in howling breaths. She covered her head, curling up in a fetal position as the darkness flooded her twitching eyes. "Celestia—!"

All was still.

The growling breaths remained at a distance.

Claws were no longer scraping.

"... ... ...?" Slowly—like a lime being peeled—Lyra uncovered herself. She glanced down at the lower slopes of the plateau.

The wolves stood in place a dozen feet below her. They glared at the pony with angry, ravenous eyes... and yet they came no further. Snarling, they strafed left and right, their eyes constantly locked on the unicorn. The growls redoubled... then finally melted into defeated whines. Lyra watched as several of the wolves turned away. Starting with the alpha, they retreated—their tails tucked between their legs and everything. Not long after, the pack descended a few feet down the side of the barren plateau... remaining a safe distance... not willing to completely give up on stalking their mint-green prey.

Lyra blinked.

Her lips pursed.

She almost said something... but had nothing but thin, confused breaths to give.

"... ... ..."

She looked back up at the edge of the cliff.

A green light persisted, pulsating... illuminating the dark recesses of a cave entrance.

Lyra's eyes narrowed.

The light faded slightly... pulsed again... and then remained dim... a puzzling shade of emerald...

Lyra breathed and breathed. She stared down at the dormant pack of wolves lying in wait. She looked down at her own hooves. At last, she glanced up at the cave once again.

Swallowing a nervous lump down her throat, Lyra stood up on all fours...

...and ascended to the very top of the barren plateau... appoarching the cave... and its pulsating green light.

PreviousChapters Next