• Published 26th Jun 2016
  • 3,652 Views, 1,727 Comments

Shellstrings - shortskirtsandexplosions



After freakish happenstance turns Lyra Heartstrings and Queen Chrysalis into a symbiotic being, they find themselves putting their superpowers to heroic use in an ever-changing Equestria.

  • ...
42
 1,727
 3,652

PreviousChapters Next
Duties

Manehattan – Uptown – Before Sunrise

Thwoooooosh!

On blurring wings, Lightning Dust descended, landing before the first floor lobby of a tall apartment building. Exhaling, she gently let go of the cloaked mare in her forelimbs.

"There ya go, girl. Sure beats calling a cab, doesn't it?"

Satin Cinders shuddered slightly, adjusting the folds of her robe. "Sorry if I'm not exactly feeling... celebratory at the moment."

"Awwwwwwww, come on..." Lightning Dust managed a smug smirk. "You're alive, aren't you? We're both alive!" She elbowed the mare lightly. "That's a victory if I ever heard one."

"It was just a sneeze away from being a tragedy." Satin gulped, gazing at the lit entrance to her apartment complex. The city was starting to come alive, with business ponies gradually shuffling out of first floor revolving doors. "We almost lost everything a few hours ago. Your friend was right." A nervous shiver. "We certainly bit off more than we could chew."

"What do you mean, exactly?"

"I mean that I think it's time to hang back," Satin said, sighing. "The last thing either of us need is too much exposure."

"Cindy, you gotta be pulling my tailfeathers!" Lightning sputtered in the early-morning air. "You really wanna let Jasmine Enterprises get away with everything and run this town into the ground—?"

"Shhhhh!" Satin glanced around, then leaned in towards Lightning. "Of course I don't want to!" she hissed. "But it turns out our stealthy vantage point is not so stealthy! Those baddies mean business, and there's not going to be a story if I'm not alive to write it!" She pointed into Lightning's chest. "And I don't want to lose you either! It's one thing to be headstrong, but if you're not careful—you'll lose it!"

"Satin..."

"Promise me you'll take your friend's advice and just... back off for a while, okay?" Satin's ears folded. "Lay low. Make yourself scarce. Avoid all of your previous contacts. And if... if I find another angle... another opportunity to expose a crack in Jasper Jasmine's armor... then we'll maybe try this again... but way more careful and smart this time. Got it?"

"Ohhhhhhhhhhh I've heard this sort of stuff before." Lightning bore a bitter smirk. "This means we're giving up, aren't we?"

"It's not about giving up! It's... about staying alive." Satin exhaled. "You're a risk-taker, but you're heart's in the right place. I'd hate... hate to see all of that wasted. Promise me you'll keep your nose clean."

"Cindy, girl, just give me a—"

"Promise me."

"Unnnngh... fine." Lightning Dust held one hoof up and the other over her chest. "I, Lightning Dust, promise to stay far... far away from Jasmine Enterprises and all of their filthy subsidiaries." She arched an eyebrow. "There. Happy?"

Satin breathed in relief. "Very." A gentle smile. "I'll contact you when I have more information to use as leverage. You're the most loyal ally I've ever had these past few years. I'd love to work with you again."

"Same here, girl." Lightning winked. "Stay beautiful."

"Mmmff..." Satin rolled her eyes, turned around, and trotted into the lobby of her apartment. "I'll try."

Lightning stood in place, her hoof still held up. Once Satin was gone from sight, she lowered her hoof with a sigh.

Behind her back, several... several wingfeathers were crossed.

"You can bet I'll be trying too." With a devilish smirk, she flapped her wings, lifted up, and flew off towards the heart of Manehattan...

...zeroing in on the Jasmine Enterprises building.


Crystal Empire – Crystal Palace – Daybreak

Stifling a yawn, Princess Cadance shuffled down a long corridor and into the throneroom of the stewards' palace. A pair of crystal guards opened the doors... revealing Captain Shining Armor seated at a shiny table full of documents and paper files. The unicorn had a pen tucked behind his left ear as he licked his lips and continued scribbling notes down.

"Uhm..." Cadance blinked. "Good... morning, honey..." She raised an eyebrow. "Have you been up all night?"

"Don't worry, my love," Shining Armor murmured out the side of his muzzle, shuffling through more and more files. "I checked on Flurry Heart an hour ago. She's sleeping like... well... you know."

"That's nice and all, but that doesn't answer my question." Cadance stopped behind the stallion, kissed him on the side of the muzzle, then glanced at all of the documents he was working on. "Are these the names of your soldiers?"

Shining Armor took a long breath, nodding. "Mhmmm..." He swallowed. "Several transfers are in order."

"Oh really...?"

"Usual... bi-annual procedures," Shining Armor muttered. "I couldn't sleep, so I figured I would get an early start. Nothing special."

"You don't say..." Cadance magically reached towards the center of the table where a solitary document lay. She levitated it up closer to their eyes. "Then why is this file resting conspicuously in the center of all your hard work?"

"Cadance..."

Cadance smirked slightly. "Seems to me that you're tackling all transfers but the most important one of all."

He snatched it from her telekinetic grasp and held the thing tight. With a sigh, he muttered: "It's no more important than all of the other cases."

"Then why are you losing sleep over it?"

Shining Armor clenched his eyes shut.

Cadance gazed at him, smiling.

Shining exhaled, "Are all alicorns telepathic?"

"Mmmm..." She leaned in, nuzzling him. "I only read the thoughts of the ponies I love."

Shining placed the document down, gazing at it with tired eyes. "I keep going in circles with him, Cadance."

"Do tell."

"I want to watch over the stallion. You know that." He gulped. "But if I keep him here, then it'll look like we're tolerating his insubordination." He shrugged. "If I send him away, the crystal ponies will think we're punishing a hero."

"Plus, you won't be able to look after him anymore."

Shining Armor grumbled. "He's gotta get over his angry hang-ups eventually, Cadance. I can't be an older brother to him forever."

"Even though you want to."

Shining Armor glared at Cadance.

Cadance merely smiled.

Shining rolled his eyes and face-hoofed. "This sucks, Cadance. Either way... it feels like I've failed him..."

She stroked his shoulder. "You're not responsible for his psyche, Shining. If he's not cut out to be a by-the-books royal guard, then that's a problem that he's going to have to sort through."

"I just... wish there was a way he could see the light," Shining muttered. He lowered his hoof and gazed at the tabletop. "If only he could be in a place... a harmonic place where he could glean moral truths and see that there's a better way to live... a happier... less angry way..."

Cadance nodded. "A harmonic place... reinforced by trust, loyalty, and friendship..."

"Exactly!" Shining groaned. "But I don't see that happening in Canterlot. He's lost so much there."

"I believe there's only one option," Cadance said.

"Oh?" Shining glanced over. "What?"

"Think about it." Cadance looked at him. "Where in Equestria could a soul like him bask in unfettered harmony... surrounded by friendship?"

Shining stared back. His muzzle hung agape. He gazed off at the dawn sun peeking through the windows. A few blinks later, and he turned to smile dumbly at his wife.

PreviousChapters Next