• Published 9th Feb 2015
  • 1,366 Views, 23 Comments

Death's Garden - 2006midnight



Twilight Sparkle is near death and Celestia asks Luna to deliver a message before it is too late.

  • ...
0
 23
 1,366

Fading Eternity

Princess Celestia stood in the throne room of Canterlot Castle, looking out at the city streets. However, her eyes were dull and unfocused compared to their usual radiant appearance. A minor difference to most ponies, yet one that held insurmountable weight for the princess of the day. Just a simple, small change in how she always presented herself to the ponies of Equestria, yet it hid something much greater. Deeper emotions were concealed by that one, tiny change in her demeanor.

Unheard by Celestia, the doors to the throne room opened and a dark blue alicorn entered. The princess of the night walked forward until she was standing directly behind the white alicorn. "Sister, are you alright?" the night princess asked.

Celestia turned to face her younger sister, her dull eyes half closed and said, "I'm trying to be strong Luna because I know that's what she wants, but, there's only so much one can take, even one such as you or I." The sun princess drew a shuddering breath, "She means so much to me Lulu. How can I go on once she's gone?"

Luna stepped up beside her older sister and wrapped her gently in one of her dark blue wings. "Oh Tia, I know this is really hard for you, I know. Is there any possible way that I could make it any easier or any more bearable for you? I...I'm know that's probably a stupid question, but if there is, please, tell me. I want to help you through this sister. I want to be there for you for as long as you need."

Celestia buried her head in the soft fur of her younger sister's neck and softly, hesitantly replied, "Could...could you, maybe, bring her a message from me? I know that she's been unconscious for almost a week now, but...isn't there a way you could reach her? Maybe through the dreamscape?"

The princess of the night kissed the top of Celestia's head before saying, "I do think that there is a fairly good chance I could reach her from the land of dreams, and, if this is what you need, then I will do my best to try."

The white alicorn lifted her head slightly, so that her voice could be heard more clearly, "Thank you Lulu, thank you so much. If you can reach her, I'd like you to tell her that she was the best student I could have asked for, and that...that I loved her more than almost anypony else I've ever known. She inspired me to become a better pony, especially towards you Lulu. Make sure she knows that."

A slight tremor in her voice, the younger princess replied, "I will do everything I can dear sister, but...please understand that there's a chance that I won't be able to reach her. Or...or that she might have already..."

Though the sentence was left unfinished, both of the rulers of Equestria were fully aware of the implications. Implications neither of them, especially Celestia, wanted to or were ready to face. And yet, that made them no less real, no less of a possibility.

A lone tear escaped from beneath the mask Celestia had been fighting to keep in place ever since she had found out that the time was near. Finding herself unable to speak, the princess of the day merely nodded and withdrew from her little sister's embrace.

Not trusting her voice to remain even moderately steady, Luna turned and walked out of the throne room. Seeing how much her sister was in pain had struck a chord deep within her heart and soul. Knowing that time was of the essence, the dark blue alicorn went straight to her chambers and locked the doors behind her to ensure that she would not be disturbed.

Lying down on her bed, Luna removed her regalia and lit her horn. As her magic reached out towards the dreamscape, the night princess' eyes drifted shut. Even in her partially asleep state, she was still mostly aware of what was going on around her, either around her physical body or around her spirit. Just as she was almost fully within the land of dreams, Luna felt her magic as well as her soul being pulled towards another realm, one unfamiliar to her. She tried to pull away, but nothing she did would free her from this foreign realm's grasp. Fearful, yet powerless to resist, the princess of the night opened her eyes as soon as she could.

At first, all she saw was darkness, but as her eyes began to adjust, she could make out more and more of her surroundings. She was standing in what appeared to be a field, full of all different types of flowers with a stone pathway cutting through them not too far from where she was, and above her, the sky was covered in dark storm clouds which occasionally flashed red as if stained with blood. Though she did not have the faintest idea as to where she was, Luna walked over to the stone path, figuring that it might lead her to a clue as to why she had been brought here.

As she walked along the path, the princess of the night looked more closely at the flowers that surrounded her for as far as the eye could see. Each flower had a unique mark adorning its surface. Though she did not understand what those marks represented, Luna could feel that the true storm in this place was not from the clouds overhead but from the path below her hooves and the mist that swirled around her body. A torrent of emotions flowed through her mind with each step she took. Anger, fear, passion, lust, elation, loneliness, jealousy...any emotion she could think of, and many more she couldn't were dancing amongst her thoughts, confusing her even further as to where she could possibly be.

Suddenly, the path came to an end, and, directly before her, were the six largest flowers that the princess of the night had ever seen, one even larger than the rest. On the five slightly smaller flowers were three apples, three butterflies, a rainbow lightning bolt, three jewels, and three balloons. The cutie marks of the Elements of Harmony, all of whom had been dead for years. Luna finally thought she was beginning to understand what the purpose of this place was and why she had been brought here, but she looked to the sixth and final flower for conformation. Adorning this flower was a pink star with five smaller white stars surrounding it; Twilight Sparkle's cutie mark.

"So I was already too late..." Luna murmured under her breath, "And yet, maybe, just maybe you can still hear me Twilight. Maybe there's still a chance that I can deliver my sister's message."

She looked around for a moment before deciding that she had nothing to lose by trying, "I...I'm sorry that I couldn't get this message to you before your passing, but, if these words do reach you, then I hope you know just how much my sister and I mean them. Celestia wants you to know that...that you were the best student she could have ever asked for and that she loved more than almost, no, more than anypony else she's ever known. She refuses to say it to my face, but I'm not blind. I can see that the love she held for you was a different and much more powerful kind of love than the one she held for me, and you know Twilight? I'm glad that she feels that way. I'm glad that she was able to find somepony to hold such a special place in her heart. As she said, you inspired her to become a much better pony, something you also did to me, and you deserve to be remembered for all that you've given not only us, but Equestria as a whole. Twilight Sparkle, you...you will be missed for as long as my sister and I live."

Once the princess of the night had finished speaking, she felt her body being enveloped by a whirlwind of the same magic that had brought her there. Knowing that it would not harm her, she relaxed in the few moments that it took for her spirit to be returned to her physical body. As soon as her eyes snapped open once more, the princess of the night got off of her bed hastily made her way towards the throne room. Just as she had expected, Celestia had not moved at all from her position near the windows. Clearing her throat to get her elder sister's attention, Luna said, nearly choking on her words, "In death's garden, another flower grows."

Author's Note:

If any of you have a message similar to HudsonHawk's that you would like me to add to the description feel free to ask and I will do so.

Comments ( 23 )

D8 SOOOO SAD D,,,: :fluttercry::fluttercry::applecry::fluttercry::raritycry:

Though I never knew you and I now never will, know that you hold a special place in my heart. Let sweet oblivion ease your aches and sorrows.

Sleep well, little one.

I'm not the best with words, but I feel like I should type something, and it may end up longer than intended.

I don't know who you were, but you were clearly a great inspiration. I hope you made your life worth living, and that you know that thanks to stories like this one, there will always be a way for people to remember you.

Huh, the way you used that last line... it really feels like that line came first and the rest of the fic was built to give it context. I don't mean to diminish the rest of the story, but it just gives off that kind of vibe, at least to me.

5605726 It didn't happen that way....I'm sorry it felt like that to you....

5605525
5605709 I'll add both of those when I'm not on my phone....

5605927

Please don't mistake it for a complaint, the line just feels different. Through the rest of the fic you have a very literal description of places and events, but then for that last line you jump to a more poetic style. It's not inherently out-of-place, especially considering its context in the moment, but there's just a sort of a shift there.

5606035 My usual style is more poetic than this story, so...that might be why...

I can't think of anything worthwhile to say, I'm sorry. I mean, don't get me wrong, I loved the story - as usual - but it sucks that the reason it exists is because someone died. :pinkiesad2:

5607667

I wish I'd known her.

5607684 She was a wonderful friend...

Thank you... this was beautiful, especially a beautiful tribute to Foxy... she was my friend...
This is beautiful :pinkiesad2:

5773511 Thanks......it wasn't really that good, but....thanks.....

5773701 It was. It was beautiful

OMG! SO SAD BUT SO GOOD!:raritycry:

As this story proves it can never be to late to tell someone how you feel. Celestia is going to be heart broken but she will be happy that her message was able to be sent.

7170054 Yeah, that's the feeling I was going for. Sort of a bittersweet sadness.

Login or register to comment