• Published 10th Jan 2015
  • 1,139 Views, 56 Comments

WEIRDER THAN NORMAL — NORMAL? NOW *THAT'S* WEIRD! - Kevin Lee



Ryuu and Q have a long history--spanning some 3000 years. Their last encounter was on a planet called Pern--but that's a story for another place and time. This is their First meeting! And neither was prepared for it happening in Equestria!

  • ...
42
 56
 1,139
This story has been marked as having adult content. Please click below to confirm you are of legal age to view adult material in your country.

Confirm
Comments ( 4 )

I thought alarajrogers came up with the whole "Discord is really Q from Star Trek" thing.

Arguably, it can be said the MLP writing staff were the ones to first come up with the idea that Discord is Q, since they're the ones who pitched the idea to the producers and deLancie was approached for the roll of "a Q-like character" (their words, btw). :ajsmug:
I can't say who was first in FimFic, but Zoidberg's was the first I read. But since starting this story, I have seen several other authors who posted the idea prior to DisQord Continuum.
I'll not quibble, but what matters is if you enjoy them. :pinkiehappy:
But I'll be sure to look for the story that Alarajrogers did.

9542677
9542700
9542705
9542723
9542738
9542743
9542760
Thanks for the feedback, Warrior Kitten. At the moment, Ryuu & I *are* been going through this story trying to work out a number of bugs (and I swear, every time I come back to look at it, I find more crap that makes me want to beat my head against a wall! :twilightangry2:).
Many of the points you brought up certainly are legit, so I'll take a closer look at them, too. Another problem is that both he & I have rather limited opportunities to work on it at the moment, but we're been doing what we can.
Using line-breaks for transitions isn't a bad idea. I had initially decided to not use them when I saw many stories use them way too much and had instead chosen to use double-line spacing. But can see where putting them in can help with readability.

TBH, I was never really happy with Luna's speech, either. (Not that the in-show canon version of her speech is much better) Unfortunately, the only "Olde English" translator I could find is an OTT Shakespearean converter from Lingojam.

"EOH did nothing"--well, they did something, but they're not a "magic cure all", implied pun notwithstanding. Lots of fan authors here have conflicting takes and theories, with we've all been exploring using our stories: starting from a parasite that infected Luna--and going all the way down to her just growing a hair up her ass that caused her to act out. Even in canon, they left the Tantabus behind, which evidently was a shadow of NMM, or a reemergence of the problem due to Luna's excessive guilt.
But if we look at the show in its whole, it would seem that everyone has some weird personality quirk: Twilight clearly has OCD (or CDO as she would insist on calling it), Rainbow is hyper-competitive, Rarity is OTT Drama Queen (capitols in the title required with her), Fluttershy is ultra-timid, etc. So it goes in my mind (or at least for this story--I may explore other ideas if I get around to developing them someday), Luna's problem is a bit of a classic split-personality disorder. The EOH didn't destroy NMM, since it is another version of Luna's mind, but they put her back in "balance" as it were. The other personality is still there, but Luna's normal nature is in firm control. And as it came out in the Tantabus episode, that balance can always shift again in the future...:twilightoops:

As you mentioned, Pinkie: yes, I had pointed ADHD out to Ryuu, but he had insisted on his character applying that order as part of the joke (much like the CDO joke is often used about Twilight). I'll speak to him about it and maybe a slight rewrite will make it clearer and still satisfy him. You also brought up Pinkie's OTT nature: as I had intended to have this as a followup to Zoidberg's "DisQord Continuum" series, it becomes clearer in later chapters just what's going on with her.
Another aspect is Ryuu's story from where this idea came from. You can find the link to it in this story's summary. I will talk with him about your issues with how abruptly we introduced his characters, explain how he can know so much, and what we might be able to do with improving it. Part of the problem is these events are very early into the timeline of the characters in the series that Ryuu is working to create, so even his characters aren't supposed to be aware of how they work. Since we're writing from their perspective, it's a tough writing convincingly about their own ignorance vs what the authors know what's going on, and properly conveying the difference to the reader.

Finally, the mystery regarding Lyra at the end of the Prologue: in addition of going through a complete rewrite of the whole thing, we're also working on the draft for Chapter 31, and what happened to Lyra finally gets addressed. A little of it was revealed in ᶘ♫₰∑€₰﴿♪ﻼ, BTW.

9548716
Only just noticed this comment was a thing, didn’t see it before.

I can concede to some of your points, but not all of them, and not completely. You’ve gotta bear in mind you’re writing this for people to read. It’s all well and good having this perfect idea that you want to put on paper so others can see, but if no one can understand it then, well...

From what I understand you’re being restricted by both the world you decided to set your story in as well as the author of that world. That’s not a good thing. It’s your story, not theirs, not ours, yours. When you’re writing a story you want to try go for as little restrictions as possible, so that you have creative freedom. For example, you choose the world of MLP, you can do whatever the hell you want with that world because you’re allowed to. But if you choose a world that belongs to someone else and they say you can’t do certain things, then you’ve got restrictions you don’t want. It simply makes it harder to write the story, both because you have less things you can do, less creative freedom, you encounter more hazards and writer’s block as you try to keep within those restrictions and as a result your story can end up a wild mess that looks like the latest Kingdom Hearts Frozen world.

I can’t really say anything more than that. You’re being restricted and I feel like that’s the problem you’re facing, because most of the reasons you gave me in that comment amounted to “Ryuu”.

Login or register to comment