• Published 16th Mar 2012
  • 1,432 Views, 74 Comments

Eternal Darkness - Cookies Need Love



This is the story of how Celestia and Luna had to bring light back into the world as young fillies.

  • ...
0
 74
 1,432

Journeys Begin

A special Author's note to thank Isha! Isha Is my editor, and helped me out with this chapter. Also, Isha is amazing. So, thank you soooo much!!



"Alright then! We'll need a proper meal in you two before we set off, and provisions for the journey, of course," Cloudchaser chimed cheerily, trotting to and fro in the house. Celestia and Luna were seated in the kitchen, watching Cloudchaser as she bustled around busily. In a moment two plates were deposited in front of them, piled high with fruits and vegetables. Luna peered down at it, then stuck her face in the food and began devouring it. She hadn't realized until that very moment how desperately hungry she was. Cloudchaser was still talking, but her voice had faded to a background buzz as she moved into the recesses of the house.

Celestia, on the other hoof, was picking at the food. She would levitate a piece of lettuce to her mouth, nibble at it, then replace it. Luna glanced up at her sister, watching her repeat the motion several times. She paused in her gorging to shoot Celestia a concerned glance. It wasn't like her to be so quiet. Usually Celestia would've scolded Luna on her eating habits by now.

"Is something wrong, Tia?" Luna asked, using the nickname she had come up with when she was even younger. At the sound of this warm, familiar name, Celestia looked up at her sister. She could feel her heart twist in her chest. The bittersweet feeling caused her eyes to water.

"No. I'm fine, Luna, just not very hungry," Celestia replied quietly. Luna continued to stare at her sister, unconvinced by the sentiment. She knew for a fact that Celestia had gone without eating for an even longer time than she had. She'd been too wrapped up in her studies to stop for lunch. And yesterday evening.... Well, neither of them had had a chance for dinner. Luna shivered at the memory, ducking her head down and staring at the scraps of food left on her plate.

"Of course, lots of water. Do you two know how to fight? I'll just leave a couple knives in here. They'll probably come in handy," Cloudchaser's voice once more became audible as she reappeared in the kitchen, two packs slung on her back. Celestia looked up at the mare, and gasped.

The saddle bags were beautifully crafted and looked like they'd been made specifically for the sisters. One was pure white with a golden clasp and a loopy golden design that seemed to form many suns locked together. The other was dark blue and sprinkled with silvery dots that shimmered like stars. Luna leaped from her seat and dashed towards Cloudchaser, eager to put on the blue one. She levitated the blue pack off of Cloudchaser’s back and quickly slipped into it. Celestia stood more gracefully and followed suit, finding that the white pack was a perfect fit.

"Where did you get these? They're beautiful!" Celestia gasped. She craned her head around and looked over at the bags, examining the way the threading of the needlepoint design almost looked like it was real gold. Luna on the other hoof was jumping around and around, letting the sparkly silver threads on her own bags throw reflected firelight all around the room. The walls looked like they were covered with constantly shifting stars.

"Gaia gave them to me years ago, right after Luna was born. She asked me to keep them safe for her," Cloudchaser explained. She smiled fondly at the two fillies, so different. It was hard to believe that they were even related. But then Luna paused in her antics and directed a wide eyed gaze towards Cloudchaser that mirrored the one Celestia was giving her too. It was times like these that their parents would shine through them, and it was clear they were sisters. Just then a thought seemed to strike Celestia and a frown creased her muzzle.

"Wait, there's only two packs.... Aren't you coming?" Celestia inquired, surprise and worry in her tone. Cloudchaser was the one who knew where the jewel was, and she could guide them through shortcuts. It would be undoubtedly easier than the sisters struggling along on their own. However, it wasn't just her knowledge that made Celestia yearn for the old mare's company. It was the fact that with Cloudchaser around, Celestia felt like she could act like the filly she was. It wasn't all up to her to keep Luna safe from harm. That responsibility would fall on the eldest and Celestia would be off the hook. Even as these thoughts tumbled through her mind, Celestia felt a wave of guilt. How could she want to shove her dear little sister off on someone else like that? Luna was the only family Celestia had left. Luna was her responsibility, Gaia had told her so. Celestia was not going to let her mother down. She wasn't going to ignore Gaia's final wish. All this passed through Celestia's mind in the moment before Cloudchaser replied.

"My own pack is still up in the attic. I haven't dug it out in years," Cloudchaser explained, her voice wistful. She had always longed for adventures and excitement. It was what had driven her to Las Pegasus, where she had met her best friend. Not that that particular story was of any importance. Cloudchaser simply liked to revel in her memories of days gone by, and of moments spent with those she loved. Now, however, she had to focus on the present and the two fillies looking at her with earnest eyes. She had promised Gaia many years ago that if her children ever required assistance, Cloudchaser would do everything in her power to help.

"Oh," Celestia sighed with relief before quickly adding, "because we don't know where the cave is." Luna nodded in agreement before smiling shyly up at Cloudchaser. Despite the fact that she barely knew the Pegasus, both sisters felt that trusting her was a smart decision. It was the way she treated the both of them with a motherly kindness, and the way that when Cloudchaser was in the room there was no doubt about who the adult was. The two little fillies didn't have to worry about anything because Cloudchaser was going to be the adult and take care of it all. Luna capered over to the sky blue mare and pressed herself against the Pegasus, grinning up at her. Celestia stayed back and watched her sister's joy with relief.

"I should probably go get my own saddlebags. I think you'll find those filled with plenty of provisions," Cloudchaser reminded the two gently and gestured at the saddlebags. Luna backed away from Cloudchaser a little sheepishly but still grinning. Cloudchaser smiled back and trotted out of the room. Silence filled the kitchen in her absence as the two sisters sat, involved in their own thoughts.

I promised mom I would take care of Luna.... But so did Cloudchaser, and she made her promise first. Besides, she's a full grown mare. Luna's in much better hooves with her, Celestia reasoned to herself, trying to assuage the guilt that had come with her relief at Cloudchaser accompanying them. She still loved Luna, but she didn't want to be a mother this young. But Luna was her sister, how could she not want to do her best to take care of the little filly?

Where are we going? What's this jewel? Mom and Dad are Gods? Doesn't that mean we're Gods? How does that even work? Luna's thoughts were of a more practical nature for once. The whole Gods being parents thing just didn't make sense to her. Still, Luna knew she'd get the chance to question Cloudchaser more about what it all meant. Luna wanted to know everything about the journey, and how her parents had interacted. All of it was important to her. The filly was bouncing on her hooves, eagerly awaiting Cloudchaser's return from the attic while her mind buzzed with constantly multiplying questions.

"Here we are. I haven't worn this in years," Cloudchaser said fondly, trotting in while she wriggled the saddlebag onto her back. Her bag was undoubtedly of lower standards than that of the two that the sisters wore. The material was much more rough, and stained with the dust of travel. Many years had worn at the design that had been painted onto it at one point. Now only a vague spot of white could be seen and even that was barely visible against the light blue cloth. The saddlebag could not even compare to the shining brilliance of the rich ones that Celestia and Luna wore. However, the wear and tear on it brought feelings of joy and warmth that often came with much used things.

"Is that- I mean, were those...." Celestia trailed off, staring at the bags with wide eyes. Cloudchaser let out a chuckle, grasping what the filly was trying to get at. Gaia had mentioned in her letters that Celestia was a studious one, and loved learning about the history of Equestria.

"Yes. These are the very same ones I used on the Voyage. This burn mark actually came from Lephisto after the two of us got into an argument," Cloudchaser mused, gesturing at a black part on one corner of the saddlebags. She looked back at Celestia and Luna, noting the eager expressions on their faces. Both clearly wanted to learn more, but there was no more time to waste.

"But those are old memories. Come along, we have a long way to go and it's best to make a journey with an early start on a full stomach and rested hooves," Cloudchaser suggested. Celestia, clearly disappointed, nodded in agreement as Luna began to bounce in circles.

"This is going to be so much fun!" Luna squealed happily. She knew the seriousness of the situation, but she couldn't help being excited. Although Luna wasn't much of reader, at least not as much as Celestia, there had always been one type of book that she would eagerly listen to. Cronos would sit her down in his lap by the fireplace and open up a nice adventure that told of risk taking and daring escapades. Now she would finally be able to go on her very own adventure. Luna's smile dimmed slightly at the memory of Cronos's voice in her ear as she slowly dozed off in the warmth of the fire, describing heroic actions and all the challenges such heroes must face.

I'll face this challenge, Daddy. I won't let you down! Luna thought in determination. She bounded after Cloudchaser and Celestia as the two older mare's trotted from the kitchen and towards the front door. They peered out into the dark street. Lamps had been lit and others were being placed by the Pegasi as they swooped in the sky. Slowly the city was regaining some of its light. All the Unicorns had their horns aglow and were working to light all the candles as quickly as they could.

"What are we going to do about light?" Celestia whispered, turning to look up at the older mare. Cloudchaser looked down at her as they trotted out onto the streets of Manehattan.

"I packed candles in the bags, and if you two wouldn't mind using you horns every now and then, we'll do just fine," Cloudchaser murmured in reply before adding "Besides, I'm sure the ponies have set up some sort of light system on the roads. That'll get us at least halfway there."

"Speaking of there, where are we going?" Luna spoke up from behind the conversing pair. She grinned up innocently at them as they glanced back at her, Celestia with an admonishing glare and Cloudchaser with a small smile.

"Luna! Not so loud," Celestia hissed, darting a glance around. She couldn't help but feel highly uneasy. They'd slept for a long while, and no doubt Vortex would want them to be found. Maybe he had already sent out spies to capture the Princesses. The thought caused a knot of tension to form in Celestia's stomach.

"Relax, Celestia. I know everypony in Manehattan and I doubt anypony here would betray the Princesses. Luna, how about on our next rest I draw you a map? That way you can make sure we're staying on course," Cloudchaser interceded, interrupting an argument she sensed was about to spark between the two sisters. Her words calmed Celestia's fear and brought a rather un-Princess like squeak of excitement from Luna. Not only was she going on an adventure, she'd be in control of the map! Maps were always a huge part of adventures, Luna knew. In all of the stories her father had read her, a map had helped out immensely and now Luna was going to be able to look after one in her very own adventure. It was all very exciting for such a young filly.

Cloudchaser looked around at the streets and all the ponies rushing by. She recognized them all. Cloudchaser had lived here a very long time, and she'd even seen a couple of them when they were tiny babies. Now, for the first time in a long time, she was leaving it all behind. The ponies were much too busy to notice her as they trotted by, muttering about light and what had happened in Canterlot. Some of the news had traveled but it would take several days before they all realized what exactly had happened. Cloudchaser led the two fillies through the streets, taking in as many sights as she could. Cloudchaser had long since memorized every stone in the streets, every creaky step, every detail. She had stored them with all the memories in her dusty tomb of a mind, prepared to bring them out whenever she needed them. Some would be left alone for years and years, and others Cloudchaser relived every day.

Cloudchaser was so buried in thought that she barely noticed when she led Celestia and Luna out of the city and onto a dirt road. Pegasi, Earth ponies, and Unicorns were all working busily to light it up with candles and lamps. Celestia trotted just behind Cloudchaser, her mind wandering. She was scanning through her mental library, looking for some way to help the ponies. Surely there was a spell that could bring back the sun.... For that was what they needed desperately. Without the sun the crops wouldn't grow, and all of Equestria would starve!

Luna bounded up past her sister to walk alongside Cloudchaser. The sky blue Pegasus looked down in surprise at the newcomer before smiling at her. Luna grinned back up at her, but for the moment didn't say anything. She was sorting through all the questions in her mind, trying to find the perfect opening one. Finally, Luna settled on a rather broad question that would surely keep Cloudchaser talking.

"Can you tell me more about the voyage?" Luna asked, darting a glance at Cloudchaser. She was a little worried that the older mare would be angered by her curiosity but Cloudchaser simply nodded as if she'd been expecting it.

"Of course, little one. How about I start with when I first met Gaia?" Cloudchaser responded. Luna nodded eagerly, and Cloudchaser began her story. That was how the first day of travel for the three companions went. Celestia, busy with her thoughts, didn't listen as Cloudchaser explained the details of the Voyage to Luna.

Hours and miles passed unnoticed under their hooves and it wasn't until Luna began to drift off while she was walking that Cloudchaser realized they had been traveling for quite a while. In fact, she was pretty sure Luna hadn't been listening to the last couple minutes of her story. The dark blue filly didn't even notice when Cloudchaser trailed off. With a sigh she turned her head to look at Celestia, who didn't seem to notice the look.

"We've been traveling for a while," Cloudchaser commented, raising her voice to snap the pure white filly out of her reverie. Celestia jumped and looked at Cloudchaser with widened eyes. Before she could muster up a reply, a huge yawn separated her jaws.

"There's a village not too far away. We can make it within the hour," Cloudchaser said, gently encouraging Celestia to keep moving. The exhausted filly nodded and kept plodding along. Luna had barely taken notice of the exchange and instead simply kept trotting in a stupor. Cloudchaser's estimate was right and the three ponies soon saw the lights of a village approaching. Cloudchaser could remember the last time she was here. The villagers had no inn and instead simply let anypony who was passing through rest in one of their houses. It had been a warm and welcoming place, and she hoped it was the same. She felt that hope disappearing, however, when she saw the wall that had sprouted up around the village. A rough looking stallion was standing at the gate, clearly a farmer who had been temporarily recruited for the task.

"Excuse me. We're travelers who need a place to rest," Cloudchaser told the guard as they neared and stopped in front of him. The stallion looked at Cloudchaser, then at the two fillies swaying where they stood behind her. He flicked his brown tail, chewing on a piece of hay in his mouth in consternation. He obviously had little idea what he was actually supposed to do when standing out here. Cloudchaser noted the pitchfork cutie mark on his orange flank and grinned.

"Orange Slice! Is that you? I remember stopping by here just when you got your cutie mark!" Cloudchaser noted conversationally. Orange Slice's eyes widened as he recognized the Pegasus.

"Cloudchaser! It's been too long. Come in, come in. Brawny Boulder's just inside and I know he'll be delighted to see you!" Orange cried, eagerly shoving open the gate. Cloudchaser hesitated, her smile fading slightly.

"What's with the gate, Orange?" Immediately the friendly stallion's cheerful expression dimmed. He glanced up at the sky fearfully before turning wide brown eyes on the mare once more. He shook his head and ushered the three through the gate.

"Brawny will explain," Orange called after them. Then the gate slammed shut and the three were left standing and staring out over the ghost town of a village. There were no ponies out on the street. Except for one.

A huge, muscular brown earth pony was glaring down at a scroll placed on a small wooden table. The table was positioned so that it was the first thing seen by anypony who walked through the gates. The earth pony let out a huff, causing a lock of black mane that had settled over one of his eyes to gently floated up before resuming it's original position. Cloudchaser approached the table with Celestia and Luna following dumbly.

"Brawny Boulder?" Cloudchaser asked. The earth pony, presumably Brawny Boulder, looked up. Immediately his sour expression broke into one of pure joy that fit his features much better. He trotted around the table, revealing a cutie mark of three rocks.

"Cloudchaser! Been a while, been a while. Nice to see you back here!" Brawny cried jovially. Cloudchaser let out a chuckle and accepted his booming greetings with a nod of her head and a hug. After a moment Brawny released her and took a step back to study the mare.

"Still the same, I see. And you've dug out those dusty saddlebags again. I recall you swearing that you'd never wear them again," Brawny boomed out. He was the kind of pony that always seemed to be shouting when he spoke and was completely incapable of being any quieter.

"Old habits die hard, Brawny," Cloudchaser responded lightly. She glanced around at the towering wall before returning her gaze to the massive pony before her.

"What happened to this place?" Cloudchaser questioned. Brawny’s expression faded into one of solemn sorrow and he shook his head unhappily, exactly as Orange Slice had.

"It's bad times for us, Cloud. We've got Dragon trouble," Brawny grumbled.

"Dragons?"

"Technically one Dragon. Always flies overhead and tries to touch down. It's been hard fending it off," Brawny explained. Cloudchaser shook her head, upset at the news. These were some of the most honest, hardworking ponies she'd ever met. To have them be tormented by a Dragon every day was unacceptable. She would clearly have to do something about it.

"You ponies have done so much for me… Maybe I can help," Cloudchaser offered. Brawny was already shaking his head by the time she finished.

"It's too dangerous, Cloud. We can’t ask you to do that for us," Brawny protested. Cloudchaser waved a hoof dismissively.

"Oh, please. It'll be a snap. I'll just need some rest first and then I'll go take care of that pesky little Dragon," Cloudchaser replied breezily. She was careful to act like it was no big thing, but she knew he saw through the facade. He was about to respond, but he hesitated. Anypony who had ever met Cloudchaser knew that if she got an idea in her head, there was no stopping her. Brawny Boulder sighed but dropped the issue.

"Come to my house. The wife'll be glad to see you, and I can get some grub in you and your friends," Brawny said, for the first time glancing at the two fillies accompanying Cloudchaser. Celestia looked up at him blearily and Luna simply kept her head down and yawned.

In the flickering candlelight their wings couldn't be seen and to Brawny Boulder they were simply two young fillies who looked desperately in need of a bed and food. Cloudchaser was glad for the cover of darkness. She figured explaining why she had the two Princesses with her would be a pain and perhaps even dangerous to the sisters. After all, who knew what that monstrous creature was sending after them right at that moment. Cloudchaser had only heard his voice and seen a vague shape on the mountain before all had gone black. As far as she could tell it was a dragon who had now claimed himself King. Luna had informed her that he'd been called Vortex by Gaia and Cronos.

"That's very kind of you. It's been a while since I've seen Thistle Bloom. How is she?" Cloudchaser asked, accepting the change in topic easily. The two ponies chatted about the years that had passed since Cloudchaser's last visit until they reached Brawny’s house where they were both greeted cheerfully by the sweet mare inside. She was light pink with a yellow mane and a chrysanthemum cutie mark. Soon enough Luna and Celestia were curled up in a spare bed with a blanket spread over them, and the three older ponies were seated by a crackling fire.

"So, what else can you tell me about this Dragon?" Cloudchaser inquired. Thistle let out a tiny gasp before turning her head away to stare at the flames. Brawny turned a sad gaze on Cloudchaser.

"The beast always comes from those hills over yonder," here he gestured with his hoof to illustrate where yonder was, "And swoops over the village. Tries to land, maybe even attempts to snatch up a pony. So far we've got no casualties but I don't know how much longer we can hold out. Especially if it heads for our crops." Brawny shook his head unhappily and mournfully gazed at Thistle.

"Well, tomorrow I'll head out to the hills and see what I can find," Cloudchaser announced. Thistle looked up from the fire with the intent of arguing, but Brawny shook his head gently. No amount of words was going to keep Cloudchaser from going. Thistle bit her lip before clambering to her hooves.

"Well, you'd better get some rest. I'll make sure to have a hearty breakfast ready for you tomorrow," she said to Cloudchaser. She ignored Cloudchaser's protests as she showed her to the only other bed in the small house and settled her there. Thistle Bloom paused in the doorway to look back at her friend.

"You have a brave heart, Cloudchaser. Be careful that it’s not to your downfall."

Comments ( 15 )

I feel famous :yay: :raritystarry: :heart:

This fic should be proud of it's comment section!

379299
Thanky kindly :trollestia:
Although... May I ask why? :rainbowlaugh:

389629
If I want to change the reflection
I see in the mirror each morn
You mean it's just my election
To vote for a chance to be reborn?

390167
And I am glad you're here :fluttercry::pinkiehappy:

390758
S-so much flattery. I can't take it!! :flutterrage:
But, seriously, thanks!!

390791
Rhymes! You rhyme so well, my good sir
But of these facts, are you sure?


Yeah, I went a little Yoda at the end there.... Oh well :rainbowkiss:

390820
Thanks! I did enjoy writing it, so I'm glad you enjoyed reading it :rainbowkiss:

I'm a sucker for Luna/Celestia/origin stories. There's just so much untapped potential in their relationship, and I love seeing how different authors each tell their own story a little differently. Looking forward to reading this when I have the time :twilightsmile:

407534
Heh, me too :rainbowlaugh: I just love it all so much that I had to throw my two cents in there :derpytongue2:

440144 Really? Thanks a bundle! :ajsmug:

440155
No problem, just telling you what I think :pinkiehappy:

Found an error! The correction will be in bold:

"It's too dangerous, Cloud. We can’t ask you to do that for us," Brawny protested.

Anyways, I like this fic. :pinkiesmile: It deserves more attention than it's getting, in my opinion. Keep it up! :twilightsmile:

443718
Thanks for catching that one! :twilightsmile:

I'm glad you liked it. I'm just happy it's getting any attention at all, really :pinkiehappy: I never expected so many tracks and thumbs ups!! :rainbowkiss:

Login or register to comment