• Published 22nd Nov 2014
  • 2,251 Views, 28 Comments

Through Open Skies - FaelaArts



Latias searches an unknown world for her brother.

  • ...
1
 28
 2,251

Chapter 3

And so I came through it thinking I’d find my brother and go back through, but it vanished. And now my brother is apparently my sister, doesn’t remember me, and isn’t wearing a disguise like I thought.” Latias wondered what it was about the yellow one that made her want to tell her everything. Fluttershy, that was what she had said her name was. Apparently she was a type of ‘pony’ called ‘Pegasus’.

Latias had to admit, Fluttershy was making her feel better, she reminded her of a mother. Briefly, an image flashed through her mind. Latias did not remember much of her mother. It was so long ago, and she had been so young when she had taken her turn defending the city. The turn that Latias had abandoned to search for her brother.

“There there, I’m sure we can find you a way home. But you need to understand, Rainbow Dash is not your brother. It is possible she has traits similar, but she is not him. You need to understand that.” Fluttershy put her hooves around the creature’s neck. The creature had called herself Latias, and personified as a female. Fluttershy had seen heartache before, and knew it would be a long road to helping Latias move on.

Latias merely floated down to the ground and curled into a ball. The pony she was currently disguised as quickly followed suit. Her disguise was simply a refraction of light, exactly the same as how she turned invisible. Latias had gotten very good at controlling it subconsciously through. Her brother had never had interest, instead preferring to master other combat skills instead. Ear flicking, she heard the two begin to talk.

“-and that’s how she got here. Is there any way to you help Twilight?” Fluttershy glanced away, hiding behind her hair as Twilight mused.

“To be honest, I don’t even know where to begin. I guess I can scan the mountain for signs of the portal, but that’s about it. I’ll send a message to Celestia, maybe this has happened before.” It was unlikely, Twilight had never heard of the strange bird-like creature that was almost shaped to perfection. Really, if someone wanted a fast creature, they had designed one that was aerodynamically ready to be so.

“Can I go now?” Rainbow Dash was obviously raring to take to the sky, wings opening and closing every so often. Fluttershy raised her head, and shrunk as she motioned toward Latias.

“A-Actually I w-was wondering if y-you would t-take Latias with you. Y-You make her feel s-safe.” Fluttershy saw the glare coming and stepped back, apologising profusely for asking. Dash sighed, giving a roll of her eyes, and reluctantly agreed.

“Fine.” Dash winced as the white pony raised her head, and turned her blue eyes toward Dash. Latias was her name huh? Strange name to be sure, but then again her parents had named her after her hair.

Latias slowly rose off the ground, and looked between the two, giving a small call of confusion. Twilight mused for a moment, before mumbling about ‘finding a translation spell’ as she walked away. Fluttershy stayed where she was, and Dash turned around to leave. Latias glanced toward Fluttershy, who pointed at Dash.

“G-Go with Rainbow Dash. I’ll-be here if you need me.” Fluttershy watched as Latias slowly rose, following Dash toward the cloud home. Breathing out, she turned and walked inside. This would be difficult. Fluttershy knew if she was taking on helping Latias, she would need to leave plenty of time. Which meant bulk feeding the animals. They wouldn’t like it, but she had no choice.

“So, Latias. This is my house, try not to move any of the clouds. Not sure how you sleep, so-uh-make yourself at home.” Dash landed on the clouds as Latias slowly entered the house, making sure her wings didn’t clip the door. It resembled a human dwelling, except made out of clouds. Really, Latias was fascinated with how clouds worked in this new sky.

“Anywho I gotta go clear the sky for tonight so uh…” Dash scratched the back of her head as Latias merely looked at her. Biting her lip, she knew Fluttershy wouldn’t like it if Dash just left Latias here while she worked. Sighing, she slowly began to fly out the door again.

“So I guess you’re coming with me while I work.” Dash glanced back, and Latias cried out cheerfully, following out the door. Dash looked at the wings on the pegasus, open wide and not flapping. Dash pointed to them.

“Listen, Pegasi need to flap to remain aloft. I don’t know if it’s different where you came from.” Dash brushed her mane out of her eyes as Latias looked toward her ‘wings’, and began to let them flap. Dash nodded, and slowly flew toward the second she was supposed to clear, and bucked away a cloud.

Latias watched in fascination as brother Dash made a cloud vanish. Curiosity piqued, she flew over to a cloud and touched it. It bounced back from her, fluffy. Latias was intrigued. Fluffy clouds were something she only saw, never felt. Pushing her hand inside, it came out moist. Really, these clouds were something new.

“No, you gotta use a little force, like this.” Dash flew over and bucked the cloud, looking at Latias as she watched. Turning, she approached another cloud. Frowning for a moment, she clenched her hand and punched it into the cloud. It vanished with a poof.

“Breee!” Latias flew over to another cloud, diving through it. Glancing back, she cried out as it exploded, vanishing into nothing. Spinning once, she began to fly through the clouds. Each one coated her in a small layer of water, and soon enough it was reflecting off her body, causing her illusion to stutter occasionally.

“Hey, you’re pretty fast. How about a race?” Dash watched as the final cloud vanished, and her face was filled with the happy smile of Latias. Crying out, she began to fly, twirling onto her back as she made sure Dash was following. Smirking, Dash shot off, not too fast mind you. Latias watched her fly past and cried out again, and flew after her.

Flying into the slipstream, Latias quickly caught up. Dash smirked and increased her speed. However, Latias was not only keeping pace, but slowly catching up. Smiling, Dash increased her speed further, and let off a Sonic Rainboom. As the colors faded Dash glanced back, and blinked. Not only was Latias still in her slipstream, she was playing in the rainbow trail.

Suddenly, Latias vaulted forward, flipping over Dash and out of the slipstream, pulling ahead as she rocketed forward. Spinning around, she cried out in joy and began to spin in the air, doing tricks at speeds even Dash was envious of. All too quickly, the speed she had borrowed from the slipstream was spent, and Latias slowed down to a more reasonable speed.

“Heh, that was pretty slick.” Dash smirked at Latias, and silently thought of how to use the newfound knowledge. Latias cried out in joy, still doing tricks in the air even at the reduced speed.

Author's Note:

In case it's not clear enough: Latias isn't faster than Dash, she's using Dash's speed to increase her own.

Comments ( 19 )

In case it's not clear enough: Latias isn't faster than Dash, she's using Dash's speed to increase her own.

If she mega evolved she'd probably be fast enough :P

5304837 I did mention Twilight's castle.
The way I see it, they seem out of character because they're not in a natural setting yet. They may be in ponyville, but they're not in a normal situation. Then again, maybe my fannon version is different. Either way, if you still think they're ooc after a few chapters, let me know. I'll see what I can do.

So far its a great story. Could use improvements but overall I like it. You will be receiving a watch from me soon. The Mai conflict does not seem to have come up yet. The issue of latias's brother being lost does not have enough details. There is a lack of details for the following issues. The portal, is it latias's goal to get back to her world after not being able to find the presence of her brother in this new foreign world? The missing brother, earlier, it was mentioned that latios had died but latias went through the portal to find him anyway. Is he dead or simply misplaced?

5305025 Mai conflict? Scuse the strange question, my mind is in another story atm.

5305141 sorry i meant main. i just didn't catch that error before posting

Latias glanced toward Fluttershy, who pointed as Dash.

As far as I know, it's kind of difficult to point as someone else. Pointing at someone else, on the other hand...

5304758 she needs a mega stone to do so. :derpytongue2:

5307526 That she does but this is also a different world from the pokemon one so you never know what is possible when crossing dimensions.

I can't tell yet; Is RD actually Latios in disguise, and he just lost his memory or something?

as good as this story is i wish it was still going cause im getting the sense that its as good as cancelled

Whats going on with this story. Please tell me its not canceled.

I guess it cant be helped. Well, I wish you the best of luck. Shame ill never know how this story well end.

Login or register to comment