• Published 6th Nov 2014
  • 27,754 Views, 2,678 Comments

The Evening Sonata - Daniel-Gleebits



When Sunset Shimmer hears strange sounds outside her apartment, she finds an old enemy who seems down on her luck. Can Sunset Shimmer help Sonata Dusk to cope with her life as a normal teenage girl?

  • ...
57
 2,678
 27,754

The Sunrise Sonata, Part 8

The Sunrise Sonata Pt8


Sunset Shimmer

Much like after her meeting with Aria, Sunset walked home rather than taking the bus. The wind picked up, clouds gathered, rain fell. She paid it little attention. In her small apartment, she sat down feeling the abrupt downwards spiral of events, not caring about the wet stain she was making on the sofa.

Alone in the little room in the dreadful silence, she remembered how lonely she had been back when she had striven for power and prestige, how empty and even slightly frightening being alone in her own apartment had been. It had only been her drive, her lust for power, that had allowed her to manage it. Having a purpose that drowned out everything else had made it all bearable. But that was no longer the case.

She wanted to cry, but knew that she didn’t deserve to. She’d cried all the previous day, and Sonata had comforted her. Out of selfless concern for her, Sonata had comforted her for feeling the guilt she ought to have felt, for feeling the pain that a deep, instinctual part of her knew she should feel. Unwilling to let herself descend into tears, her feelings escaped in other forms. Standing up she kicked the coffee table, shoved an easel furiously out of the way and sent canvas and papers flying. It didn’t make her feel the least bit better. Her phone vibrated on the table but she ignored it. She had vague thoughts of taking a shower, about going to bed, but after her fit of anger left her, she had no energy to do much of anything, and simply sat alone in the growing darkness.


Sunset barely registered the time between this and the first knock on her door. As the silence was broken by the sharp rap of knuckles on wood, her brain suddenly registered several details. Morning sunlight filtered through the curtains, and there was a distinctive smell in the room, like rank water. She also realised she was hungry.

“We know y’all’re in there, Sunset,” came a familiar voice as the knocking resumed.

“We just want to talk to you,” said another.

Listlessly, Sunset stood up and walked to the door. Opening it, she found Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash all standing in the hallway, all looking quite shocked.

“Darling!” Rarity shrieked, clutching her face. Applejack elbowed her. “I mean, uh... my, my, you’ve seen better days.” She gave a nervous laugh.

“May we come in?” Applejack asked, gently. Sunset nodded and stood aside for them.

The three of them looked around with slightly pained expressions. Sunset registered the tipped over easel, the crooked table, the wet spot on the sofa, and knew they were making something of it all in their minds.

“We, err... heard about yesterday,” Rainbow Dash said, scratching the back of her head absently.

Sunset’s mouth twisted slightly, but she fought down the feeling. Applejack took her gently by the forearm and led her back to the couch. Sitting in between Applejack and Rarity, Sunset offered them all drinks, but Applejack waved her down.

“We came to see how you are,” Applejack said. “Our sisters all told us about what happened.”

“Quite,” Rarity said daintily. “Sweetie Belle was all of a dither about it, poor thing.”

“Scootaloo wasn’t her usual awesome self either,” Rainbow Dash muttered, looking troubled. She blushed slightly as Sunset looked at her. “She’s as good as my sister,” she declared robustly.

“We understand if you don’t think it’s our business,” Applejack said. “But we wanted to hear your side of things.”

Sunset explained, perhaps not in so fine detail as she had with her outpouring to Sonata, instead keeping to the finer points. She gave them the gist however, and it was obvious by their reactions that the crusaders had for the most part given a faithful retelling.

“I know I was wrong,” Sunset added after a short silence.

“Did you apologise?” Rarity asked.

“It doesn’t matter. She didn’t accept it.”

“She means Aria,” Rainbow Dash corrected.

Sunset felt her insides clench. “No.”

“Are you going to?” Applejack asked, beadily. Sunset said nothing. “I really think you should.”

“After what she—“ Sunset erupted, but Applejack held up a hand.

“Look, I don’t pretend to know everything that went on between you two, I only have what you’ve said happened. But by all that I’ve heard, I think Aria needed to hear what you said to her.”

Sunset opened her mouth to protest, but then stopped. “Wait... you agree with me?”

“Don’t get me wrong,” Applejack said, frowning slightly in disapproval. “Aria made some bad decisions. Yes, she had it rough, but she brought a lot of her misery upon herself, and I think she needed to hear someone tell her that outright.”

“The fist in the face probably didn’t hurt either,” Rainbow Dash said, winking at Sunset. “Well, not emotionally anyway.”

“But on the other hand,” Applejack said, giving Rainbow a quelling look. “I think that you might have gone a bit too far.”

Sunset’s shoulders, tight as they were, slumped a little to hear what she had already suspected. Her misery of two days previously, she now knew, was her own guilt at how she had unfairly treated Aria, at least at the end. It was just such an unfamiliar sort of guilt, disconnected from what she usually associated with it, that she hadn’t recognised it. Yet at the same time...

“I don’t think I did,” Sunset said in a low voice. Her friends all looked at each other.

“You don’t think maybe a little...?” Rarity asked, weakly.

“Or are you just letting your feelings get in the way?” Applejack noted.

“Well,” Sunset began uncomfortably. “How am I supposed to feel? I... I love Sonata. Aria was horrible to her. Did nothing but call her names, abuse her, blamed her for every failure. Sonata could forgive her, and I tried, I honestly did, but then I went to see her alone and... and she said those awful things...” she couldn’t go on. The mere memory of Aria’s furious diatribe against Sonata sent her insides into emotional freefall. She bit her lip and shifted in her clothes.

“I get that you’re hurtin’, sugarcube,” Applejack whispered, patting her gently on the shoulder. “Believe me, ah do. But you can’t hold onto feelings like that; they don’t do you nothin’ but grief.”

“We know it’s hard, dear,” Rarity soothed, nodding sagely. “Forgiving can be hard.” She gave Rainbow a cool look that Rainbow noticed.

“Tch,” Rainbow scoffed. “I knock over one poncy rack of dresses...”

“So what do you say, Sunset?” Applejack asked, bracingly. “Forgive and forget?”

In total honesty, Sunset wanted to say yes. The benefits were crystal clear in her mind: Sonata would be happy again, and best case scenario might even return Sunset’s feelings. She didn’t know what Aria had done yesterday, leaving the hospital, but if apologising made her feel any better, that could only be a plus she supposed. Then there was this leaden guilt festering inside like an acid-splattered boulder in her gut. If apologising would get rid of it, then the sooner the better. But there was a problem.

“I... can’t,” she breathed, clutching her middle.

“Why?” Rarity asked after a short and astonished pause.

The answer Sunset wanted to give was “she doesn’t deserve it,” but she knew how that would sound, and so she said nothing. She just stared at the floor, at the paper and canvas strewn across it.

Her friends seemed to realise the cause was lost for the time being. They promised to check on her again soon, and reluctantly departed. Sunset answered their goodbyes but wasn’t really paying attention. Long after the door closed, she remained staring at the floor, absorbed in her thoughts.

Should she go and see Sonata, try to make things right with her?

Probably not the best idea. The situation was what needed to be rectified, and Sunset just couldn’t bring herself to do it. Some part of her was simply appalled by the idea.

It was whilst thinking such melancholy thoughts that she noticed a slight oddity. Unlike the other papers and canvas strewn across the floor, one of them was rolled up like a scroll, and tucked underneath the coffee table. Feeling a trace of curiosity pierce her unhappiness, she plucked it from under the table, and unfurled it.

Then came the test. Her determination not to cry shaken to its core.

The canvas showed a relatively simple picture, but Sonata was so good at what she did that the entire thing was crystal clear and perfect. Two people on a white background, holding hands. The Sonata in the picture smiled her ditzy, whimsical smile, radiant and beautiful. The Sunset in the picture smiled back at her, a trace of colour in her cheeks, her fiery hair lifting as though in a light breeze. The scene was so simple, yet it hit Sunset like a spear through the chest. Drops of water splashed down onto the canvas. Sunset touched her face, and with a thrill of anguish felt the tears there. Hurling the picture away, she pressed herself into the sofa, teeth clenched and eyes pressed shut in the desperate effort not to cry. The image in her mind of herself and Sonata holding hands seemed to burn inside her skull.

It wasn’t the picture itself, nor was it really the thought of Sonata, nor the weighty guilt still bubbling inside her that had elicited this instinctive reaction. It was a single, pure idea that the subtle, cosmic inevitability of cause and effect had concluded in Sunset Shimmer’s head. It was the feeling of loss, and a longing for what could have been. Of what almost might have been.

Ten minutes ago, you don’t know how happy that would have made me.


Sonata returned to the apartment late in the morning. Sunset had been making tea at the time, finally succumbing to her thirst, and found to her disgust that she was pressing herself against the unit in an effort to avoid Sonata’s gaze.

“Hello,” she said tensely, pushing herself off the unit.

“Hi,” Sonata said.

Sunset watched her out of the corner of her eye. Sonata wasn’t looking at her, but around at the mess on the floor. Sunset thought quickly.

“Sorry,” she said. “Tripped just now and haven’t got around to...” she trailed off when it became apparent that Sonata wasn’t really listening. She set up the easel, gathered the papers, picked up a paintbrush from under the sofa, and set back to work.

Sunset watched her covertly for a few minutes. She didn’t look angry, or sad, or anything really. There was just a blandness in her face that Sunset had never seen there before, an emptiness of expression that was far removed from cheer, or even the nonplussed look Sonata sometimes got mid-conversation.

“Did you find Aria?” Sunset ventured.

“She was looking for me,” Sonata said, tonelessly. “She told me she was sorry. She said that she never meant any of it; that she wasn’t in her right mind and didn’t know what to do. She said that she’d try harder.”

Sunset’s unease only grew at these words. She imagined that Aria had said rather more than just those succinct points. Cupping her tea in her hand, she asked if Sonata wanted any. Five minutes later, leaving the fresh mug on the counter, Sunset retreated to her bedroom and shut the door. Sitting on her bed, she cursed her own cowardice, her head in her hands.

“Just apologise,” she whispered to the dark. “That’s all you have to do.” She stared at a dark patch of wall for a moment, and then dropped her head back into her hands. Why is it so hard? she groaned in her head.

No, she thought internally. No. No more moping. This is ridiculous. I can’t just avoid her forever. We live together. I need something, something to do, something to say, someone to ask about this. Someone who might know why I can’t just make this right. It should be so easy!

She thought a long while, considering each and every person that might be able to help. None of her immediate friends would be much help. Applejack and Rarity, the two who would have been at the top of the list, had not been able to suggest anything other than apologising. Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash, whilst experts in some things, did not strike Sunset as experts on relationships. And Fluttershy would probably just blush and mutter, and Sunset would never get a word out of her.

Then it struck her. And she couldn’t believe that she hadn’t thought of it before. Who better to ask about relationships than the Princess of Friendship? Surely this qualified as a form of friendship in some way, just with a few extra hormones tossed in. Twilight was a science-y person, wasn’t she? Surely a little biology was no obstacle.

Taking the journal from her bedside drawer, she opened it to a fresh page and began to write.


Dear Princess Twilight,

I’m writing to you to seek your advice on


She paused, then scribbled it out. Far too formal. They were friends after all; she should write informally, or Twilight might think something was up. There was something up of course, but an unbiased opinion was preferable here. Or maybe she should write formally. She was a princess after all...

Sunset shook her head, scowling at her own foolishness. She began to write again.


Dear Princess Twilight,

Hi there. How’s Equestria these days? I hope the princess duties aren’t keeping you too busy or anything, because I was hoping that you could help me with a little problem I’m having.

- Sunset Shimmer


She pursed her lips a little at the downplay in her words, but waited all the same. The journal vibrated suddenly in her lap, glowing with a faint purple shimmer. Turning the page, the following words appeared on the paper as though an invisible hand were scratching them out.


Dear Sunset Shimmer,

The Princess duties are going well, thank you. It’s mostly just sorting out the castle for now, so nothing too taxing yet. What did you want to talk about?

- Twilight


Sunset had already described Sonata’s becoming their friend months before, and had even reported on Adagio’s redemption upon their return from Whitetail. She hadn’t spoken much to Twilight since then however, and certainly hadn’t spoken of her feelings towards Sonata. She did now, going into the details of what had happened up until the disastrous events of yesterday.


I don’t know what to do. Please help me.


Sunset waited with bated breath, watching the next page with a desperate intensity. But the following reply was shortness itself.


Do you mind if I ask somepony else about this? Princess Celestia and Princess Cadence might be able to help.


Sunset hesitated. Her old tutor...

She had not spoken to, nor thought much about her old tutor for so many years. Principal Celestia was so unlike her in action and manner, mostly because of the difference in their positions, that Sunset didn’t really consider her too terribly like her old teacher. And who was Princess Cadence? Sunset had not heard of her before now.

But she, Sunset, was different now. And she no longer resented Celestia. It was with a certain trepidation however that she wrote back in the assent.


It was at least an hour before Twilight replied, and Sunset, who’d been dozing on the bed, leapt up and lunged for the book. It fell off the bed and hit the floor, where it opened. Sunset leaned over the bed and flipped the pages, looking eagerly for the new inscription. The message was fairly long.


Dear Sunset Shimmer,

After a lengthy discussion with Princess’ Celestia and Cadence, we think we might have an idea of why you’re having trouble. I’m sorry if this causes you any harm; you’re my friend and I don’t want to occasion you any more hurt than I have to, but Princess Celestia believed it best for me to be honest with you on this matter, since it’s so important to you.

My dear friend, it is our belief that you may harbour feelings of guilt, not just from your confrontation with Aria, but from a disappointment in yourself you may feel from your past actions. Please, before you feel any offense, just let me say that neither I, nor any of our friends feel resentment towards you. I feel I can at least vouch for their feelings when it comes to that. I don’t think that you should feel any shame from actions you have acquitted yourself of; your present actions and your determination to make amends commends you far beyond whatever you did in the past. But Cadence and Celestia both believe as I do that you may be seeing your own past disappointments in Aria’s mistakes. Perhaps that is why you find it hard to forgive her, because you can’t even forgive yourself.


Sunset stopped reading here. Her first instinct was to protest. For a second or two she fully intended to write back, wondering aloud where Twilight could have gotten such an idea from. But then as sometimes happens when an uncomfortable truth is pointed out to a person, Sunset began to develop something inside her that was a little like fear. She paused with the pen hovering over the page. Twilight’s message continued on a little ways more. Maybe there was good news at the end.


As your friend, I urge you, if you feel the same way, to forgive yourself.


Well so much for that...

Sighing, she read on.


Also, although I don’t think it my place to be the one to write it to you, I am the one most conveniently placed to do so. Princess Celestia wishes me to let you know that she never gave up hope that you would discover the magic of friendship. She is proud of how far you’ve come, and if you’ll forgive me for saying so, so am I. You saved two people from a life without friendship, maybe even a third. If you can forgive her.

If you feel any of this to be true, even a hint of it, please at least consider it. The thought of any of my friends in as much pain as you are is unbearable to me.

- Twilight Sparkle


Sunset sat a long while contemplating these words.

Princess Celestia was proud of her? It stung a little to realise how much that actually touched her. Under other circumstances she might have been happy about it.

But was their point valid? Sunset had a sinking feeling that it was. At one point she might have denied it, no matter how glaringly obvious it was. But she wasn’t that person anymore, and seated on her bed with nothing but the journal for company, she was forced to admit to herself that it was probably true.

But how did one overcome a shame of one’s self?


- To be Continued