• Published 6th Nov 2014
  • 27,785 Views, 2,678 Comments

The Evening Sonata - Daniel-Gleebits



When Sunset Shimmer hears strange sounds outside her apartment, she finds an old enemy who seems down on her luck. Can Sunset Shimmer help Sonata Dusk to cope with her life as a normal teenage girl?

  • ...
57
 2,678
 27,785

The Sunset Sonata, Pt4

Author's Note:

A Merry Christmas to you all! May the season find you happy and with friends and family in abundance. And then may you find the alcohol before it all gets too much :pinkiehappy:

Until around the New Year, or perhaps a little before, there will be no more updates to this story. Usually I bring out a chapter every 3 days, but Christmas is upon us and I don't want to make any promises I can't keep.

The Sunset Sonata: Pt 4


Sonata Dusk

Sonata wished that she could focus more on the television. There had been a certain amount of companionable disharmony between Sunset and Sonata regarding the new series Power Ponies: Ultimate Fate. Sonata was all for giving the new series a chance, whilst Sunset insisted on being a total hipster and declaring the series a cheap knock-off when the adverts had aired. She’d agreed to watch the series with Sonata, since both girls enjoyed the time together, but she’d developed an annoying habit of pointing out those things that she disliked about the show: the typical and uninteresting storyline, the revamped character personalities, the new animation style, etc.

Usually, she could and certainly would argue with Sunset about it in a half-hearted, semi-serious way, but she couldn’t now. Two things had combined to distract Sonata completely.

First and foremost was Fancy Pants. Once alone with her, he had lost no time at all in declaring that he was absolutely enthralled by her work. Never had he seen a style so rich, so fresh. So unfettered by modern designs, yet with a flair of style that he had seen in some of his most favourite works. It was as though her style were one well established, a master art that was no longer used but must certainly have vindicated its self during its time.

This speech, whilst flattering, added to the already weighty ball of trepidation and pressure she was feeling. This feeling only increased as he went on about the other artists that would be appearing at the fair.

“Not to worry,” Fancy Pants had declared, patting her on the back. “I’m sure that you’ll do spectacularly.”

If this had not been enough, Fancy Pants had told her something that set her right on edge.

They had come in sight of the path’s end. A gate leading to a car park and another of the park’s entrances stood ahead, with the end of the second path also in view.

“Before we rejoin our friends,” Fancy Pants had said, for the first time sounding a little tentative. “I feel it only right to give you a little warning.”

Sonata looked up at him, trying to seem attentive. He adjusted his monocle a little, looking as though he were trying to phrase what he wanted to say properly. “About what?” Sonata prompted.

“Well,” Fancy Pants said slowly. “I don’t know whether or not you’re aware, but my companion, Fleur, she’s... well, she has a certain taste in...” he sighed impatiently at his hesitation and said “she’s a homosexual.”

“Yeah, she told us,” Sonata said.

Fancy Pants nodded. “I thought she would,” he said gravely. “She’s not the sort of person to say or do anything that doesn’t serve some purpose. I don’t want to set you against her, for I don’t believe that she’s acting out of malice, but it’d be unfair of me not to give you my suspicions.”

Sonata’s spine tingled with a sudden coldness. She hoped, she prayed he wasn’t about to say what she thought he was about to. Please, don’t say it.

“I believe that Fleur may have taken a fancy to Ms. Shimmer,” Fancy Pants murmured, leaning close. Sonata’s world broke. Split with great jagged cracks down its centre, splintering and fragmenting into ineffectual and meaningless shards. She already disliked and distrusted Fleur, but she hadn’t had any trouble reposing her confidence in Sunset simply ignoring or rebuffing Fleur’s advances if any were made. That changed however, when Sonata and Fancy Pants had rendezvoused with their companions further along the path. One look at Sunset’s face was all it had taken for Sonata to realise that Fleur was wasting no time.


It had taken some will power not to deck Fleur in her smug, resplendent face. Sonata had never hated anyone before; that is to say, she’s never held a degree of loathing towards another person that could rank as beyond simple dislike. In truth, she didn’t have a very hateful personality, nor had she possessed something before now that she could hold and treasure, that she could stir up such powerful emotions if stolen or threatened. She certainly had that now. Sunset was a central part of her life, and at present perhaps the only thing stopping her sinking into listlessness and hopelessness for the state of her career.

“What’s up?” Sunset asked.

“Huh?”

“You have that look on your face,” Sunset said. Raising one hand, she traced a finger along Sonata’s brow. “That scrunchy, thinking face.”

Sonata sat up off Sunset’s shoulder. “So if I’m thinking, that means something’s wrong?” she asked.

“When you’re thinking so hard that you’re not trying to defend Ultimate Fate, I am inclined to think that there’s something wrong, yes.”

“Maybe I’m just thinking,” Sonata grumbled.

Sunset turned slightly on the couch. “Okay, now I’m sure there’s something wrong,” she said more seriously.

“Oh?” Sonata replied, trying to sound uninterested. Despite this she folded her arms; a defensive gesture.

“Yes,” Sunset said, frowning. “If something wasn’t wrong you wouldn’t be acting like this.”

“Well maybe there is something wrong and it’s none of your business,” Sonata snapped, feeling more and more nettled.

Sunset stared at her for a moment. Then she picked up the remote and switched the television off. Sonata folded her arms a little more tightly, feeling the imminent talking-to she was about to receive speeding towards her. Sunset leaned back against the shoulder rest of the couch, folding her own arms. Sonata found it hard to look at her.

“Let’s get one thing clear,” Sunset began, “if either of us have a problem, can we just agree that we talk about it instead of this passive-aggressive nonsense?”

“I don’t have a problem,” Sonata retorted, still not looking at her.

“You just said that you do.”

“I said maybe I do.”

Sunset stared at Sonata long and hard, and then gave an exasperated sigh. “Sonata, are you going to talk, or not?”

Sonata remained sitting there, feeling like a child that had done wrong, being told off by its mother. There was no escaping the situation, there was only capitulation. But like any pouting child, Sonata wasn’t going to roll over for it. She was angry, and she wasn’t going to go down without a little petulance.

“Fine, we’ll talk,” she snapped. “What were you and Fleur talking about earlier?”

This seemed to catch Sunset off guard. Sonata saw with a twinge of irritation Sunset’s cheeks turn pink.

“Not much,” she said, now unable to look Sonata in the eye. “Just stuff, you know.”

“Uh huh,” Sonata replied sardonically. “Right. Just stuff. What’s that on your face, Sunset?” Sonata asked, reaching a hand forward. “Hm, now what could this heat be all about?”

“We didn’t talk about anything!” Sunset snarled, slapping Sonata’s hand away. “Are you still jealous of her?”

“I’m not jealous!” Sonata retorted, turning pink herself.

“Oh yeah?” Sunset sneered. “Judging by that blush, I’d say you’re not being honest.”

“I’m not jealous of that flirting skank!” Sonata screamed, throwing herself off the couch and storming from the room. “Why don’t you two just hook up or something like you obviously want to!”

She ignored Sunset’s calling after her, stomping upstairs to her work room. There she remained, alternately raging and settling into aggrieved silences. After about an hour or so, she heard Sunset knock the door, but she ignored her.

“Sonata?” Sunset called gently through the door. “Sonata, please come out. I’m... I’m sorry I yelled.” Sonata hesitated for a few moments. He anger wasn’t quite gone, but it had diminished sufficiently to allow a modicum of reason to pervade her thinking. “Can I come in?” Sunset called.

“Yeah,” she said, her voice a little hoarse.

The door opened slowly. Sunset stepped in looking as though she expected Sonata to start shouting again, but managed to make her way in and sit down next to her. The bench they both occupied usually held paint supplies, but Sonata had thrown these aside during one of her rages. Several tubes of paint lay scattered amongst a mess of papers and spare brushes.

“You made quite a mess up here,” Sunset observed, trying for a small smile.

“Sorry,” Sonata said in a brittle voice. “I really hate that woman. It’s just... something Fancy Pants said made me think that she was... you know, interested in you.” She glanced sideways at Sunset, who was not saying anything in reply. Sunset’s face contorted into a look of troubled thought, as though she were trying to find a way to phrase something unpleasant. “Oh god, she is, isn’t she?”

Sunset bit her lip. Then she took a deep breath, gestured awkwardly with her hands for a moment, opened her mouth, closed it again—

“Oh my goood...” Sonata groaned, her face in her hands.

“N-No, wait!” Sunset exclaimed defensively. “Okay, yeah, she is, but come on,” she said in a rallying tone. “I don’t feel the same way, and I told her so! I told her that I don’t love her, and that I love you.”

“And how did she take it?” Sonata asked hopefully.

“Ah, well...” Sunset cleared her throat.

“Oh my gooooood...”

“Now come on, Sonata,” Sunset said, smiling a little. “You can’t honestly think that I’d fall for someone like her. I mean she’s so overbearing, and self confident.”

“So she hit on you.” Sonata mumbled through her fingers.

“Well, yeah,” Sunset admitted. “It was kind of like a salesman who wouldn’t take no for an answer. I said no, she said I’ll be back tomorrow. It’s annoying more than anything.”

“She is pretty though,” Sonata said, glancing sideways to see Sunset’s reaction.

Sunset put a hand on Sonata’s shoulder. “She’s a supermodel,” she said, in the patient tone of a teacher trying to explain the complicated procedure of adding one to one to make two to an over-emotional child. Sonata supposed that she had a point there. Sunset gently turned Sonata around on the bench and looked her in the eye. “I’m not interested in her, okay. If you want to know the truth, yeah, she’s pretty. So what? There’s a lot of beautiful people in the world, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to leave you for any of them.”

This had the effect of cheering Sonata up quite a bit.

“Are you saying I’m not beautiful people?” Sonata asked in mock indignation. Sunset cuffed her on the shoulder. “Ow! Hey! Abuse!”

“Oh, you want to see abuse? I remember where all your tickle spots are,” Sunset laughed.

“Don’t you dare,” Sonata warned.

“Oh I think I have some itchy fingers here,” Sunset said warningly.

“Not in my work room!”

“Oh, now why did you have to go say something reasonable like that?” Sunset asked in false disappointment, pulling back her wiggling fingers. “Oh well. Maybe later. When you’re not expecting it.”

Sonata gazed at Sunset a while, feeling reassured. She took a hold of Sunset’s plat and gave it a playful little tug.

“I like that dress,” she said.

“Thanks,” Sunset said, her gold-skinned face reddening. “I like yours t—“

With a more forceful tug of the plait, Sonata pulled Sunset forward. When the kiss was over, she let the plait slip through her fingers, giving Sunset a cheeky smile.

“Could you please stop disillusioning me of the idea that I’m the dominant partner, please?” Sunset complained, managing a small smile of her own.

“Oh come on, Silly Shimmy,” Sonata teased. “We both know I’m the man of the house.”


The talk had had the desired effect for both girls. Sunset had allayed Sonata’s fears about Fleur, at least for the moment, and Sonata’s reaction to the talk had made Sunset believe that the problem was resolved for now. Alas, such comfort was short lived.

With a little under three weeks to go, the pressure mounting on Sonata was building again to finish the paintings. Of course, the paintings were being far from obliging in this respect. They seemed to mock Sonata as she stood there in her art smock, the square-headed man jeering at her from inside his canvas square. No matter what she did, the effect was just all wrong. The man was simply boring, and there seemed no way to instil a little of Sonata’s trademark glow into his intrinsic dullness. The other paintings, which were all of city landscapes, also escaped her ability to inspire hope and intrigue. Sonata believed that it had something to do with the fact that the pictures she’d seen of these paintings simply didn’t fill her with any particular interest, or inspiration. There was nothing to them but interesting shapes and dark colours. It just wasn’t... her.

If this hadn’t been such a problem, then what follows certainly did put a damper on Sonata’s mood.

Despite Sunset’s insistence of indifference to Fleur’s advances, the woman still managed to insinuate herself into their lives more often than Sonata liked. Fleur was very clever about it all, and for whatever reason, always seemed to make sure that both she and Sunset were together when she showed up. She appeared to them whilst they did their weekly shopping, disguising herself in less flamboyant dress and leaving her gorgeous pink hair long and straight to avoid being recognised, and tried to make out that she had been there to shop for wine. Sonata was having none of it. She placed herself firmly between Fleur and Sunset whenever she could, and talked almost continually to Fleur so that she had no opportunity to speak to Sunset.

Fleur was not to be outdone in such little stratagems however. Realising what Sonata was doing, she perceptively asked Sonata questions that she must have been of the opinion Sonata couldn’t answer. When Sonata was effectively stumped, Sunset chimed in somewhat reluctantly to avoid being rude. Just as Fleur wanted.

Not since the days that she and her sisters had roamed the school, drinking up the delicious negativity spewing forth from the arguing students had Sonata so dearly wished that she had her magic. She’d have that harpy on her knees, begging for a mercy that Sonata would not give her.

Such were the dark thoughts that pervaded Sonata’s mind the more she had to look at Fleur’s stupid, beautiful face. The most infuriating thing that was as angry as she was getting, Fleur never slipped. She never betrayed a hint of annoyance or desperation.


“I still don’t understand why they allowed this girl to follow us around.”

“Well, it was better than her going off and telling the rest of the press, I guess.”

Once more, Fancy, Fleur, Hoity, Sunset, and Sonata could be found seated in a restaurant, dining together. An alternate, more pedestrian private restaurant called The Lunar Republic lay on the edge of town farthest from the mountains, a newer establishment in the expanded area of the city that Hoity had pointed out and suggested to shake the monotony.

Hoity sat on Sonata’s other side, glaring at Photo Finish, who was seated on Fleur’s right and conducting an interview with a pen and notepad in hand. Hoity was looking disapproving as usual to see Photo Finish accompanying them, but this time he seemed to be trying to stop himself from sighing too much, as it was clear that Fleur and Fancy enjoyed her company. He forced a smile and turned to Sonata.

“I’ve been meaning to say, actually,” he said in a low voice so that no one else would hear. “I’ve not felt right in my mind giving you... um, that help. I thought it the lesser of evils at the time but—“

“Oh,” Sonata said quickly. “It’s okay. Sorry, but I got rid of them already.”

Hoity raised his eyebrows. “Ah. Well then,” he smiled. “That’s a weight off my shoulders.”

“They weren’t dangerous or something were they?” Sonata asked on a sudden impulse.

“Oh no,” Hoity began. “Well, at least, they’ve not had any adverse effects on me so far as I know.” He seemed to ponder the point for a moment.

“What were they?” Sonata inquired.

“I’d rather not say,” Hoity mumbled, looking around furtively. “Suffice it to say they aren’t considered ‘acceptable’. As far as I know there’s no overt adverse side-effects to them, but I just didn’t think it right suggesting you resort to drug use to solve your problems.” He flushed a little here, as though realising this instance of self-effacement.

He left it at that, but Sonata was left with a burning feeling in her stomach, as though the ball of leaden weight there had suddenly become hot.

“Und how do you feel about zis?” said a voice to her left. Sonata jumped guiltily and stared at the pink glasses barely a foot from her face.

“U-Uh what?” she asked, leaning back.

Photo Finish said something low in German. “How do you feel about za upcoming event?” she asked. “Excited? Nervous? Eager? Mortified? I needz za details!”

“Um...” Sonata hesitated.

“Now now,” Fancy Pants said rousingly. “There’s no need to be nervous. I’m sure that you’ll do splendidly.”

Sonata swallowed, standing up. Feeling a faint sense of nostalgia, she forced a smile onto her face and gabbled something even she didn’t quite catch before making her way speedily to the bathroom.

Bursting through the door and ignoring the man stationed outside, she breathed a sigh of relief that the place appeared to be empty. Shutting the stall door behind her, she stood breathing heavily, trying not to throw up. Perhaps it was because she hadn’t eaten yet, or perhaps she had just gotten used to the feeling by now, but she managed not to vomit.

The door to the bathroom opened, and she heard hesitant steps tap across the tiled floor.

“Sonata?” came Sunset’s voice. Sonata cringed to hear it. She didn’t want Sunset seeing her like this. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine,” Sonata said back with as much airiness as possible. “Just using the facilities.” She gave a nervous laugh. That sunk her, she knew. She mentally kicked herself.

“Are you sure?” Sunset didn’t seem to want to push her too much. “If you need to talk or something...”

“No, I’m fine,” Sonata assured her. “I’ll be right out. If we’re gone too long they’ll think something’s wrong.”

Sonata waited, listening hard. She imagined the sound of Sunset letting out a sad little sigh, and then heard the very real sound of her footsteps moving slowly to the door. When the door had closed, Sonata exhaled, and took several steadying breaths.

It’s getting worse, she thought. And it was. As much as she was getting better at coping, there was no denying the increase in pressure as the day of reckoning drew ever closer.

Sonata tried not to remain in the bathroom for too long, and once she had judged herself enough composed to return, she exited the bathroom, even returning the attendant’s polite nod.

She returned to the table to find Photo Finish gone. Hoity and Fancy Pants were laughing amiably together about something or other, and Fleur was engaged in telling Sunset a story. As Sonata sat down, she eyed the two of them out of the corner of her eye. To Sonata’s disappointment, Sunset didn’t look recalcitrant or reluctant, but was listening to the story with a slight smile on her face. When Fleur reached the end of her tale, Sunset gave a small but genuine laugh.

“You can’t be serious,” she chuckled.

“Oh!” Fleur exclaimed. “Believe me, that was the least of her follies. Fancy has this just unbelievable account of her at the Capital’s annual Lawn Royalties Gala. You should ask him about it some time.”

“You’re back,” Sunset said, noticing Sonata seated again . “Are you feeling alright?”

Sonata worked her mouth into a smile. Through her pain she saw with some solace the look of genuine concern Sunset’s eyes showed. “Yeah. Just that time of the month I guess.”

Sunset didn’t look fully convinced, but Fleur had called Fancy’s attention, and the man himself was eagerly gesturing across the table as he told the story Fleur had recommended, punctuated by Hoity’s sycophantic chuckles. Sonata sat with her inner world turning grey and dismal, unable to partake in any of it. She watched Sunset for most of the evening, unable to rouse herself to talk to her much. Sunset occasionally turned to try to talk to her instead, but more often than not Fleur was absorbing her attention with her varied conversation. Sonata was glad when the party rose to leave.


“You’ve been so quiet tonight,” Sunset murmured solicitously.

“Really,” Sonata said reassuringly, “it’s just the cramps. I’ll take some tablets when I get in.”

Sunset still didn’t seem to want to leave it, but something in Sonata’s face seemed to decide her against pursuing the subject. She opened the door and let Sonata walk in ahead of her.

“Well, if you feel you want to—“ Sunset paused unsurely as Sonata strode towards the staircase leading to her attic workroom. “Are you going to paint?”

“Yeah, I’m going to try anyway,” Sonata affirmed with a strained little laugh. “I’ve got to try anyway.”

“Well, okay then,” Sunset said slowly. “If you need anything, you will tell me, right?”

“I’ll be fine.”

The two girls looked at each other from opposite ends of the room. As Sonata looked into Sunset’s concerned, slightly sad face, she suddenly felt tears beginning to well in her eyes and turned away. She didn’t understand. What was making her feel so utterly miserable?

She could see that Sunset would most likely not leave it alone unless she was able to do something, and so because Sonata desperately wanted some time to herself, suggested that she might like some tea. Sunset eagerly made her way to the kitchen, promising to bring it up for her.

Sonata took off the dress she was wearing. They always had to dress up when they went out with Fancy and company. Taking the overalls and smock she worked in, she strolled in front of her easels with leaden despair crushing her characteristic buoyant mood to nothing.

“Knock knock,” Sunset said with tentative optimism. She pushed the door open with her shoulder and brought in two cups of tea. Sonata cursed inwardly. “I made that orange flavoured one you like.”

“Thanks,” Sonata said. “Hey err, not to be rude or anything, but do you think I could get the room alone for a bit?”

Sunset seemed a little caught off-guard. “O-Oh...” she glanced sideways before going on. “I kind of wondered if maybe you just wanted to spend some time together.” She paused, looking furtive. “Or something.”

In all honesty, Sonata dearly wanted to. She really, honestly did. But she didn’t know how long her veneer would last, and she didn’t want to break down in front of Sunset. She didn’t want to put any worry on her. She’d already tried explaining her problem, and Sunset could think of no solution. There was no point adding worry on top of that, worry that Sunset didn’t deserve to bear. Worry that was Sonata’s alone to struggle with.

“Thank you,” Sonata said , her throat a little dry, and she meant it. “But I really have to get some work done or it won’t be ready in time.” When Sunset looked unhappy at this, she continued quickly. “Maybe tomorrow. I just really want to try and get some of this done. Thanks a lot for the tea though.”

Sunset still looked unhappy, but managed to give a little smile before exiting the room.

Sonata couldn’t watch her leave, but listened as she had done in the bathroom for the sounds of it. The door clicked shut, and Sunset’s footsteps moved slowly down the stairs. Despite how much she had wanted to be alone, Sonata felt her insides shrivel up at the sound of every footstep. She bit her lip and tried to hold back the flood of tears behind her eyes, but she had no strength to hold them back anymore. She let them fall, stifling as best she could any sound that Sunset might hear of her. In a sudden fit of wanting to do something, she seized the tea and drank it down all at once. She couldn’t enjoy the mandarin flavouring; the tea scalded her throat as it went down. It did nothing to sear away her unhappiness.

She didn’t want to feel like this anymore. She was utterly miserable, alone when she wasn’t alone, confused when everything should be so easy. Alone in her workroom, she remembered the only other time that she felt so lonely and lost. Then, Sunset had found her. She had pulled her out of that misery. But she couldn’t do it now. Every time Sonata thought of her, Fleur was there, that infuriatingly innocent smile on her face. Sonata suddenly tasted blood, and stopped biting her lip. She touched her smarting lip and blood ran down her finger.

Almost without conscious thought, she moved over to her paint box. A plastic cup of water sat there for her to dip her brushes in. The water was clear and new. She seized the box and clumsily prized it apart. There they were. The two little pills Hoity had given her. Even now she had reservations about them. But no matter what they did to her, they couldn’t be worse than how she felt now. Or if they were, it would be a change at least. She just knew that she couldn’t go on feeling like this.

They help you relax. Take some of the tension away.

She could certainly use some of that.

Oh these’ll get you relaxing alright. If they were made properly.

That was the question, wasn’t it...

Well, at least, they’ve not had any adverse effects on me so far as I know.

Sonata paused, considering the two pills. She plucked one out, regarding it curiously. It was so small. Just a little white thing. It was hard to imagine that it could do anything to her at all.

Still full of doubts, she cupped the pill in her hand uncertainly for a while. With a sigh, she dropped the tin down and moved away. She moved in front of her the foremost easel, her great nemesis in all of this messy affair standing before her upon it. She glared at the man with the square head and stupid sideburns as though it were high noon in the old west.

“You forced me to this, old man,” she muttered resentfully. The man in the painting looked unapologetic as she held the single pill between forefinger and thumb. She took one sip of water, popped the pill into her mouth, and then glugged the last of the water down.

She waited for something to happen. Something extraordinary. She half expected the ceiling to turn purple, or the outside of her windows to warp and distort into an alienesque landscape. Nothing of the sort happened. She didn’t even feel that different. Except that a faint lightness, as if she had lost weight, came over her. Her insides descended with the thought that perhaps they had been made wrong. That maybe they would do nothing. Duds, after all this worry and fuss. She wanted to kick something.

“I don’t feel anything,” she said disappointedly.

“You don’t look different either,” said the man. “I really thought something would happen.”

“Me too,” Sonata sighed. The man in the painting rubbed his bristly chin. “Oh, sorry, let me fill that in a little for you,” Sonata apologised, taking up her paintbrush and dabbing a little reddish brown on the man’s chin.

“Thank you very much, dear lady,” the man replied with a bow.


- To be Continued