• Published 6th Nov 2014
  • 27,736 Views, 2,678 Comments

The Evening Sonata - Daniel-Gleebits



When Sunset Shimmer hears strange sounds outside her apartment, she finds an old enemy who seems down on her luck. Can Sunset Shimmer help Sonata Dusk to cope with her life as a normal teenage girl?

  • ...
57
 2,678
 27,736

The Sunset Sonata, Pt10

The Sunset Sonata: Pt 10


Sonata Dusk

“Oh. Wow.”

“Yeah...”

All four of them looked at the edge of the roof where Pinkie had disappeared.

“The pink one disturbs me,” Adagio said warily.

“She had a bunch of your paintings strapped to her back,” Aria pointed out, rather as though she wanted someone else to confirm it.

“We have to get upstairs and get your paintings ready,” Sunset said.

“You won’t make it in time.”

The four of them looked around to find Fleur standing close by. She was watching Fancy standing with Hoity and Trenderhoof, all of their eyes fixed on the ongoing show above.

“The air show is only a fifteen minute event. You’ll need longer to set up anything.”

“Fleur,” Sonata said uncertainly. She didn’t know exactly why she was asking Fleur of all people this question, but she knew that the older woman knew the world, and especially the world of fashion. Whatever was acceptable or not would surely be known by her. Despite whatever feelings might exist between them... “Are we cheating?”

Fleur frowned, puzzled. “What do you mean?”

“What are you talking about, Sonata?” Adagio asked.

“It’s just something Jade said,” Sonata said uneasily. “I mean, it is kind of unfair that they can’t change their stuff when I can.”

“Tough luck,” Aria summed up, crossing her arms.

Sonata looked to Sunset for her input, but she looked rather uncomfortable as well. Dislike someone she may, but Sunset could at least admit when someone had a point.

“There’s more than just your own success on the line here,” Fleur put in. “Hoity screwed up more than any of you know. Fancy Pants is the premier fashion authority in the Capital; his decisions on fashion are practically law in the fashion world. But like anyone, he has enemies. Sonata,” she said, fixing Sonata with a hard stare. “Your work is the only exceptional art here that Fancy can safely uphold. He can’t take anything subpar, and he can’t promote extant styles. If you don’t want to do it for personal gain, then do it for him.”

Sonata considered this. “It can’t affect Fancy that badly. Can it?”

Fleur shrugged. “Position in the fashion world is precarious. It’s like leaning over a shark tank; if you fall, they swarm you, taking off whatever chunk they can. This could be a hiccup, or it could ruin him. As his friend, I’d much rather that didn’t happen. But I leave it to your conscience.”

“It’s your call Sonata,” Adagio said, shrugging. “This is your career we’re talking about.”

“I don’t know what those others are getting so worked up about anyway,” Aria huffed, scathingly. “They all have careers already. You’re the only one who doesn’t have one yet. You’re the only one who stands to lose out here really.”

“I... guess...” Sonata mumbled, uncertainly.

“I don’t want to push you,” Fleur said, looking over her shoulder, “but we don’t have much time here.”

“O... Okay.”

“You want to do it?” Sunset asked her.

“Yeah,” Sonata replied, still a little hesitant. “I mean, there’s no guarantee this is going to do anything for me anyway. And everyone’s gone to so much trouble. I have to try.”

“If that’s the case, then” Fleur said, suddenly leaning in and becoming more confidential. “I’ll need to speak to you two privately.” She indicated Sonata and Sunset.

At a look from Sunset, Adagio shrugged and moved away a few paces, followed by Aria, who gave Fleur one look of suspicion before leaving. Fleur waited until she had judged they couldn’t be overheard, and then said in a whisper to Sonata. “Do you still have those pills Hoity gave you?”

“W-What?” Sonata asked, alarmed.

“The pills. The Deprox. If you have any left, I need you to hand them over.”

“What for?” Sunset asked, a little defensively.

“For Fancy,” Fleur answered. “Look,” she said as both Sunset and Sonata gave her puzzled looks. “I’d rather not do it really. I don’t mess around with drugs like those. But it’s the only way I can think of biding time.”

“How will giving Fancy pills bide time?”

“Ordinarily,” Fleur explained quickly, “Deprox is harmless to adults; that’s how it got through the initial trials. But in some people, Fancy for instance, it zonks them out.”

“Zonks them out?” Sonata parroted, hit with a sudden desire to laugh at Fleur using so zany a word.

“Makes them sleepy,” Fleur clarified. “If I slip him one, he’ll become sleepy and hold up the tour, allowing you to get your paintings into place.”

Sonata frowned, looking at Sunset. She didn’t look much more comfortable. Quite apart from the practical effects of giving an unsuspecting man drugs just to stall him, the moral implications of it were... tenuous. As Sonata understood it, they couldn’t tell Fancy what was going on, since Photo Shop or the other reporters could find out what was going on. But then, if they didn’t get the paintings up, Fancy’s position in the Capital might be lethally threatened. She didn’t pretend to understand the politics of the fashion world, but...

“And you’re positive they won’t hurt him?” she asked Fleur quietly, fixing her sharply with her eyes.

Fleur stared right back. “Positive. I know you can’t think much of me, but I hope you can at least believe that I wouldn’t intentionally play with my friend’s life. He... well, we took them, years ago. It was very fashionable at the time. But Fancy would always end up so sleepy we’d have to get him to the car before he found the nearest chez lounge.”

“Can’t you just stall him some other way?” Sunset asked.

“I’ve tried. Hoity’s trying right now, but Fancy won’t budge,” she glanced over her shoulder again, looking slightly concerned. “He won’t be distracted any more. This is the only thing guaranteed to work.” When the two of them still looked uneasy, she said, “Fancy has been too good a friend to me. I can’t let him fall because of someone else’s mistake.”

Sonata searched her teenager’s heart for the answer. She’d been alive longer than most, existed in two worlds, been on both ends of the moral spectrum. Surely she of all people should have an answer to something like this.

“It’s your call, Sonata,” Sunset said. In her hand, she held something tight. One corner of a small plastic bag stuck out from her fist.

Sonata hated this. Making decisions like this. But she had to, she supposed. There was no avoiding it. On the one hand, she, Fancy Pants, and all of his group would benefit, if only she decided to give him this pill. She wanted with all of her heart to say yes. Fleur assured them it was harmless. All the benefits spoke an obvious decision. But it wasn’t. It was wrong, and she knew it.

Sunset and Fleur looked at her the entire time that she was dithering, staring at the floor, both with degrees of sympathy on their faces. Eventually, Fleur made the first move.

“Hey!” Sunset yelped in surprise as Fleur took hold of her wrist. Prising her fingers apart, Fleur took the little bag and turned away.

“I-I didn’t say—“ Sonata began.

“No, you didn’t,” Fleur cut her off. “And you shouldn’t have to.” She paused, and looked back at them. “Fancy is my friend. It’s my responsibility what happens to him, and not yours. Don’t think that I’m making your decisions for you.” She gave Sonata a very serious look. “What you do now is your choice to make. And this is mine.” She strode away through the crowd.

Sonata and Sunset looked at each other uneasily. Then they both turned to the entrance to the gallery.

“I guess there’s really no choice now,” Sonata said, trying for a smile.

“There’s always a choice,” Sunset said. Then she frowned. “Wow. That sounded really cheesy, didn’t it?”

Smiling more naturally now, Sonata assured her that it had indeed been cheesy, and taking her hand, led the way into the gallery. Looking back, Sonata saw Jade and her group watching them closely.

“I think we’re going to have company, by the way,” Sonata muttered as they passed by the front desk in the entrance hall.

“We already have company,” Sunset whispered back. She indicated the two doors leading to the first room, and up the main stairway. In both locations there were the searching artists they’d bypassed before. Sunset pulled Sonata to the side into a narrow corridor behind a curtain that led around the first room to some of the rear rooms and the fire exits.

“How do we get to the roof without them stopping us?” Sonata wondered aloud.

“You could always take the elevator.”

Sonata jumped and spun around, her dress nearly tripping her over as her legs became entangled. “Stop doing that!” she hissed through gritted teeth as she looked up at the tall, thin profile of Discord. “How did you get behind us?”

“I followed you,” Discord answered, as though this should be obvious.

“No you didn’t,” Sunset said cuttingly. “I was watching. There was no one behind us.”

“Very well, you caught me,” Discord said, raising his hands in surrender. “I was in this corridor the entire time. You know my secret now.” He gave a dramatic sigh and raised his winter-gloved paw-of-a-hand to his head as though he had been mortally wounded. He spoiled the effect a little by grinning slightly, revealing his mouth of crooked, irregular teeth.

“No, you were outside,” Sonata pointed out. “I saw you. You’re kind of noticeable.”

“I’ve been told that before,” Discord said modestly, slicking back his fly-away hair. Sonata tried to hold in a giggle, but it shot out her nose. Sunset more-or-less managed to stop herself smiling by biting her lower lip. “But back to the point; if you can’t take the stairs, why not the elevator?”

“What elevator?” but before Sonata could even finish speaking, Discord side-stepped, and gestured grandly towards a set of golden grilles a few feet behind him. Sonata blinked.

“What is that?” Sunset asked.

“An elevator,” Discord said, slowly, and clearly. “Do try to keep up.”

“This is an elevator?” Sunset asked, looking thoroughly unconvinced. She touched the golden gate, and peered into the small space within. A red carpet and dark wood panelling alleviated the eye slightly from the large, round device on a stand set against the wall. It looked like a large, white cheese wheel on its side, with a brass handle set on the edge. Around the edge were numbers.

“Didn’t you know?” Sonata asked. “They used to look like this. Maybe this is just an old one.”

“Hardly likely,” Sunset said, wiping a finger along the shiny golden bars. The surface was utterly devoid of tarnish. “So you’ve seen ones like this before?”

“Oh yeah,” Sonata said breezily. “Ages ago. Instead of buttons, you turn that lever.” She indicated the cheese wheel-like contraption.

“Weird,” Sunset commented.

“Well, in you go ladies,” Discord said graciously. He pulled the gates aside and bowed them in.

Sonata walked in, looking around approvingly. Sunset however, did not. She was looking warily at Discord, staring into his discoloured yellow eyes. He stared right back, his clever face full of amusement.

“Why are you helping us?” she asked suspiciously.

“Why wouldn’t I?” Discord inquired.

“Because it’s not in your interests.”

“Oh I assure you, it is firmly in my interests,” Discord said. It was hard to tell whether he was being serious or not. He sounded serious, certainly, but the mischievous look on his face and the superior glint in his eye betrayed a nature for deceit. “I could try to explain it to you, but we have no time. And besides, what option do you have? That pill won’t hold Fancy Pants up longer than an hour.

“Only an hour?” Sunset exclaimed. “Wait, how did you know about—“

“It takes about half an hour to kick in, which should mean it starts working around when they begin the tour again,” Discord explained as though Sunset hadn’t spoken, “The effects after that aren’t really that profound. He’ll sit down for fifteen minutes maximum, be fussed over another fifteen minutes, and then get right back to it.” He gave a careless gesture. “Give or take an interview.”

Sunset pursed her lips, but seemed to have no rebuttal. Accepting the truth of his words, she stepped into the elevator.

“Excellent!” Discord grinned, pulling a bright red bellhop’s cap from his maroon duster and setting it at a jaunty angle on his head.

“Wait!” hissed a voice from behind the curtain to the entrance hall. Looking furtively behind them, Adagio and Aria pushed their way behind the curtain and jogged over, Aria stumbling a little with her limp. “We’re coming too.”

“Have we met before?” Aria asked, looking quizzically at Discord.

“I just have one of those faces,” Discord replied, giving an ingratiating smile. Aria pursed her lips. “Well in you get then, in you get.”

They bustled in, trying not to step on each other’s dresses. Discord swept the gates shut and stood at attention beside the lever. Sonata didn’t know if it was just her imagination, but she fancied that she heard the sound of a small crowd of people all running together in one direction passed the corridor entrance. She shrugged. It was probably nothing.

“Goooing up!” he said, pulling the lever back. The elevator juddered and began to ascend. Sonata thought she heard Muzak playing overhead for a moment, until she realised that Discord was whistling the tune out of the side of his mouth. He caught her giving him a raised eyebrow and winked. “Here we are!” Discord announced, as the elevator give a satisfying ‘Ding!’ and came to a halt. He opened the grilles and allowed for them to pass him by. “Stairs to the roof are ahead. I’ll see you girls later. Oh,” he said as though as an afterthought. He looked at Adagio and Aria. “If you get into difficulties, the guard has the key.” He doffed his bellhop’s cap and shut the gates. They watched him descend, whistling more Muzak tunes as the elevator bore him out of sight.

“That guy is a total weirdo,” Aria commented, writing in her story notebook. “I am totally making a character out of him.”

“Later,” Adagio said patiently.


Pinkie Pie was waiting on the roof for them, perched cheerfully on a small, metal exhaust vent. When Sunset and company arrived from the stairwell, she beamed and waved.

“What took you guys?” she asked loudly. “I had time to fold up my parachute in the time it took you guys to get here. Here’s your stuff!” Sonata’s mouth broke open in a smile as she saw the paintings leaning against the other side of the vent. “Sorry Sonata, no time for hugs,” Pinkie informed her, holding off Sonata’s reaching arms.

“Huh?” Sonata blinked. “Why?”

Just as she said it, there came the sound of multiple heavy footfalls behind her, and a crowd of men and women in the blue and gold uniforms of the Wonderbolts, and one or two policemen, burst onto the scene. One of them who Sonata recognised as the Capital liaison who’d visited Rainbow’s house, pointed a dire finger at Pinkie and cried

“There she is!”

“Stop right there!” one of the police ordered, advancing.

“See you guys!” Pinkie cried, leaping onto the fire escape.

“Stop her!” the liaison erupted, seizing the wall on the building’s edge and staring down. Sonata heard the distinct sound of Pinkie blowing a raspberry at him. The man snarled and leapt onto the fire escape too, followed closely by two of the other Wonderbolts.

“We’ll head her off from below,” one of the policemen said to the remaining stuntmen and women as he and his partner bolted back towards the door. The remaining Wonderbolts followed quickly after them, leaving Sonata and her friends standing stock still on the roof, unsure of exactly what just happened.

“Well,” Aria said, dumbfounded. “That just happened.”

“No time for internet clichés now,” Adagio pointed out. “We have to get these paintings... which floor was it?”

“The second,” Sunset replied, picking up two or three of the paintings. “Everyone grab a few and be careful not to scratch any of them.”

They all did as they were told. Aria could only manage one, but the rest managed two or three, and together they descended the stairwell again.

“How did Pinkie manage to carry them all?” Aria complained, leaning against the banister as she shimmied down the stairs.

They reached the third floor without much fuss. Aria rejected Sonata’s offer to carry her one painting, robustly declaring that she had it before taking the lead towards the stairway to the second floor. As the others went ahead of her, Sonata was struck by an oddity. She looked at the wall beside her, frowning at the peculiarity her mind was telling her was there. Where had the elevator gone?

“Sonata, come on,” Sunset called. “We don’t have much time.”

“Huh?” Sonata said vaguely. “Oh! Coming!”


As Sunset predicted, with that super smart and sexy brain of hers, Sonata found that the third floor had a couple of Jade’s cohorts ferreting around. Convincingly feigning an interest in a number of wooden African statues in one corner, one of the people who’d first confronted them with Jade was keeping a close eye on the stairs.

“Well that’s inconvenient,” Adagio muttered. “It’s times like this I wish we could still brainwash people.”

“I could always throw something at him.” Aria said contemplatively.

Sonata saw Sunset give Aria a face. “Oh, she could do it too,” Sonata assured her. “Aria has a killer throwing arm.”

“That wasn’t really my objection,” Sunset said.

“Years of her throwing stuff at me, I guess,” Sonata thought aloud.

“You deserved it most times,” Aria whispered.

“True,” Sonata giggled.

“Task at hand, ladies,” Adagio reminded them. “How do we deal with bluebeard?”

“Wow, I didn’t notice that beard until you pointed it out,” Aria said dispassionately.

“Maybe if we keep talking about him, he’ll pick up our bad vibes and move away,” Sunset grumbled sarcastically.

“Okay, Miss Impatient,” Aria snarked back. “Give me a second.” She pushed herself up from the banister she’d been leaning on, and walked over to a tall, see-through donation box labelled Your Donations help keep this Gallery Open!. Without hesitation, she picked up a pen on a little bead chain and yanked it from the stand. Limping back, she noticed Sunset giving her a somewhat disapproving look.

“Was that really necessary?” she asked.

“I’ll let you be the judge,” Aria said in a superior tone, smirking. Tossing the pen in the air a few times, she made a few practice motions with her forearm, like a darts player. Then she drew her arm full back, and threw. The pen soared like a miniature javelin, spinning through the air right through the open door closest to the watching artist, and skittered into the other room. At once, Bluebeard’s head jerked towards the source of the sound and went to investigate.

“Go. Go!” Adagio ordered, gesturing the others ahead of her.

To their collective relief, there wasn’t any nosing artists on this floor other than that guy, although they could see a security guard in a neighbouring room. Managing the paintings quietly down the stairs, Sunset stopped them in front of the wall. There they were; Sonata’s cityscapes based on the imaginations of both her, and Aria. Sonata didn’t like to judge her own work, but even she liked these pictures. Looking at them however, she couldn’t help but notice their resemblance to a large number of other paintings and other kinds of art around them. Oh Hoity...

“Wait,” Sunset said hastily, throwing out an arm to stop Aria stepping forward. “We can’t just take the pictures down. It’ll set the alarm off.”

“Well how do we get around that?” Sonata asked.

“I’d think you could disable the security from the security room,” Sunset said, rubbing her chin.

“Hang on,” Adagio said quietly. “Didn’t that Discord guy say something about asking a guard?”

“If we got into difficulties,” Sunset remembered. “He said it to you. If we get into difficulties, the guard has the key.”

“It’s kind of vague,” Aria said. “Who knows what he was talking about?”

“Well, we’re in difficulties,” Adagio pointed out. “And there’s a guard in there,” she gestured passed the door to the other room. “But that’s weird that he’d know something like that.”

“Yeah,” Sunset muttered, still rubbing her chin, apparently deep in thought. “Very weird.”

“What are you thinking?” Sonata asked, knowing the look.

“I don’t know,” Sunset replied. “How much time have we got?”

“It’s been fifteen minutes since we left the crowd downstairs,” Aria said, checking her phone. “Fancy Shirt should still be dozing.”

“Fancy Pants,” Sunset corrected hastily. “Well, I don’t know if he was around when you guys were in Equestria, but the Discord there was an extremely powerful, near-god entity of chaos. He ruled Equestria around one thousand years ago until Princess Celestia and Princess Luna used the Elements of Harmony to imprison him in stone.” She frowned. “As far as I know, he’s still a statue. But the Discord here seems able to use magic somehow.”

“What?” Aria asked incredulously.

“That shouldn’t be possible,” Adagio said seriously. “This world has no naturally occurring magic of its own. Trust me, we know.” She inclined her head meaningfully.

“Exactly,” Sunset said, still sounding troubled. “But I’m almost positive that this Discord has been using magic.”

“Like what?”

“Well, there were the statues in the state room that went crazy.”

“They were his statues, weren’t they?” Adagio inquired. “He probably just made them that way.”

“Then there’s how he keeps popping up behind us all the time,” Sunset continued.

“So he’s creepy,” Aria said dismissively, shrugging. “I’ve known a few people who are creepers. None of them were magic.”

“What about the elevator?” Sonata asked.

“What about it?” Adagio asked.

“It wasn’t there when we came back down the stairs,” Sonata said. She looked around at her three companions. “Didn’t... didn’t you guys notice?”

“So, what?” Aria asked after a long moment of confused silence. “He’s magic? The spirit of chaos from Equestria?”

“I kind of remember Discord in Equestria,” Adagio said, frowning. “Goofy looking dragon thing. Turned us into sea dragons for a while and kept us in a fish bowl when we tried to hypnotise him.”

“I don’t remember that,” Aria grunted, folding her arms.

“I do,” Sonata said, shuddering.

“Okay, just supposing that he’s the Equestrian Discord,” Aria said, holding up both hands in a slow-down gesture. “Just saying he is, that definitely means that we can’t trust him.”

The other three all looked faintly surprised. This was a valid point. So far as Sonata knew, based on her vague and distorted memories of the Discord from Equestria, he was far from what one might call trustworthy. He was essentially a prankster god. If you asked him to make you breakfast, you’d find yourself as a plate of eggs and ham faster than you could say “That’s not funny!”

But there was one thing that none of them could escape. Despite any misgivings, they had no other options. They couldn’t set off the alarm, and they couldn’t break into the security room. Wherever that was. Checking the guard was the only real alternative.

Sonata looked at Sunset, who nodded at her. They’d both reached the same conclusion.

“We need to somehow see if that guard has a means of switching the alarms off.” Sunset said.

Quite before Sunset could continue, Adagio spoke up. “Hm,” she said with a faintly ominous smirk. “Well, leave that to Aria and me then.”

“To you?” Sunset asked, raising an eyebrow.

Adagio ran a hand through her enormous hair. “I don’t know if you look in any magazines,” she said smugly. “But I’m kind of a big deal at the moment.”

Aria gave a contemptuous little laugh. “Best of it is, she’s not lying.” She shook her head and grinned at Sunset. “We’ll get the key. Or whatever he’s got. Might even get his wallet.”

Sonata and Sunset watched them go, Sonata unable to hide a smirk of her own. “I like it when they get like this,” she explained, grinning at Sunset’s questioning look. “It’s kind of like the old days. Except without the singing. And the arguing.”

“I was going to say; I saw you guys in the old days.”

“So, do you really think that this Discord is the scary Equestria Discord?” Sonata asked, still intrigued by this notion.

“I don’t know,” Sunset sighed, frowning. “I’m fairly certain that if Discord was free, Princess Twilight would have told me using the journal. And even if he did escape imprisonment, why would have come to the human world?”

“Maybe to escape being imprisoned again?” Sonata suggested.

“Maybe,” Sunset said slowly. “But that makes no sense. Twilight made it so that the mirror is permanently open, so hiding here wouldn’t do him any good. And then there’s the fact that Discord ruled Equestria back in the day. And I’m assuming he was more powerful than you guys if he could evade your hypnosis. I just can’t imagine him being here and not trying to do something... chaotic. But he’s not.”

“So, he’s not the Equestrian Discord?” Sonata surmised.

“We have to assume that this world has doubles of everyone. Even him. The problem is that that doesn’t explain anything.”

“No, no, we got this,” they heard Aria say loudly. They both looked over to the entrance to the other room, and saw Adagio coming back with Aria in tow, and someone else besides.

“You’re quite welcome,” Adagio said lightly over her shoulder to the guard, giving the biggest false smile Sonata had seen on her face in a while. “I’m always happy to meet fans.”

Sonata and Sunset watched in bewilderment as Adagio sauntered back with Aria behind her shepherding Photo Finish.

“Stap touching me, you vile cretin!” Photo Finish snapped as Aria gave her a shove.

“Photo Finish?” Sunset said, frowning. “Don’t tell me you’re with Jade on this too.”

Photo Finish pulled her sleeve out of Aria’s grip and pedantically brushed down her clothes, looking haughty and indignant. “Certainly not,” she said primly. “I am on no vons side. I am za journalist.” She sketched quotation marks in the air with her free hand, sounding irritable. “I am zimply looking vor za stories.”

“Oh god,” Adagio groaned, rolling her eyes. “I thought you sounded familiar. You’re Photo Shop’s daughter, aren’t you?”

Photo Finish’s response to this was perhaps a little odd. She folded her arms tightly and pulled her lip back as though she were snarling, but otherwise said nothing.

“Is Photo Shop big in Applewood too?” Sonata asked. “I thought she lived in the Capital.”

“She lives here, actually,” Adagio said. “She’s an investigative journalist, so she travels a lot. Typically wherever the famous people are. Hence, the Capital and Applewood. Los Angeles too. She’s everywhere where something remotely important is going on.”

“Philistine,” Photo Finish commented in disgust.

“Excuse me?” Adagio asked dangerously.

Photo Finish paused, apparently sensing danger. “My mozzer, I mean,” she clarified. “I love her of course, but,” she cursed dramatically. “She does not understand za passions I heff!”

“She wants to be a fashion photographer,” Sunset explained quickly in answer to Adagio’s raised eyebrow. “But her mom thinks it’s a waste of time apparently.”

“I shall outdo my mozzer and prove my capability!” Photo Finish declared, striking a dramatic pose.

“But didn’t you set up some deal with Fleur to do that?” Sunset pointed out. Somewhat to everyone’s surprise, Adagio snorted at this. Everyone looked around at this uncharacteristic lack of restraint.

“Oh, didn’t you all know?” Adagio asked, unsuccessfully repressing a grin. “Fleur and Photo Shop have, um... history.”

“Yeah, we knew that,” Sunset sighed.

“You know what happened between them?” Sonata asked, feeling interest spark within her.

Adagio gave a self-satisfied smile, like a stroked cat. “They were lovers at one point,” she said. She paused a moment to behold the amazement this statement should have created. Sunset raised her eyebrows, and Aria frowned at Photo Finish. Photo Finish didn’t respond at all. Only Sonata gave Adagio the reaction that she’d wanted.

“Seriously?” she asked incredulously. “But... they seem to hate each other so much... And does that mean...” she looked at Photo Finish. “Is Fleur your mom?”

“I am going to punch you in za throat!” Photo Finish erupted.

“They do,” Adagio affirmed, ignoring Photo Finish’s outburst. “Photo Shop printed some information Fleur really didn’t want her to about her and her friends. They had a big fight about it, and, well.” She gave a careless gesture.

Sonata looked at Photo Finish, rather expecting her to react to this. To her surprise, Photo Finish showed absolutely no surprise or indeed any emotional reaction to it at all.

“I’d hate to live in the Capital,” she said, moodily. “If that kind of thing is always happening.”

“So that’s why they hate each other,” Sunset said, thoughtfully. “Well, that does explain... hmm...” She gazed speculatively at Photo Finish for a moment or two. Sonata noticed Sunset eying Photo Finish’s camera in particular. “Photo Finish?”

“Mm?” Photo Finish looked at Sunset quizzically.

“You know when we were in the room downstairs at the beginning of the tour,” Sunset began. “You did record the conversation we had in there, right?”

Photo Finish didn’t respond, but Sonata noticed the grip on her camera tightened slightly.

“What are you thinking?” Adagio asked.

“Just an idea Sonata gave me,” Sunset answered. “I think you and I could make a deal,” she said to Photo Finish.

Photo Finish’s nose rose into the air. Sonata imagined her eyes narrowing, though it was impossible to tell behind her magenta shades. “A deal?” she asked, her wary tone betraying a hint of interest.

“Yeah.” Sunset led her away a little distance, a confidential arm around her shoulders. The other three watched them go, Sonata noticing the approving smirk on Adagio’s face.

“I like your girlfriend,” Adagio said in reply as she noticed Sonata watching her. “Although if she ever goes Photo Shop on you, I’ll kill her with my own two hands.”

“Oh. Thanks, Dagi,” Sonata said with false humour. She hoped Adagio was joking, but she’d made the mistake of assuming that before.

“Well come on,” Aria said, calling their attention. She held up a small black remote. “Which of these buttons do you think turns off the security? We’ve only got like half an hour. And also,” she held up a black, leather wallet. “Can you believe that guy only had three dollars in here?”


- To be Continued