• Published 19th Oct 2014
  • 868 Views, 16 Comments

A Prayer for the Silenced - SolRadiante



When a sinister plague makes the Ponyville inhabitants act irrationally, Scootaloo is forced to take matters into her own hooves before it harms her friends.

  • ...
1
 16
 868

Chapter II "Puzzled"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Scootaloo felt an invigorating relief as she snapped her eyes open, letting sunlight enter her vision. It was a welcome guest. She took deep and erratic breaths through her mouth, sucking air with a voracious hunger. The ceiling met her vacant gaze with its light ivory tone. Her eyes were wide open, and bloodshot, but still asleep. She found herself lost in an endless sea of white darkness as she lay on her back perfectly still. If her lungs weren’t feeding her body with rich oxygen as her chest inflated and deflated, anyone would take her for dead.

She showed the first signs of consciousness when one of her fore hooves twitched like a small bolt had passed through it. She blinked several times before her eyes darted from left to right, as if adjusting to the sudden new scenery. Finally, Scootaloo groaned, and let her eyelids relax half-closing them. She had departed the realm of dreams for good now.

Scootaloo rolled to her belly, her breathings gradually becoming steadier as she relaxed her agitated consciousness. Her body ached with exhaustion. Unseen bruises all over her back and legs made every movement much more difficult. It was begging her to stay in bed and rest a couple of hours more. What could she have possibly done for her to feel like being walked over by a stallion? That is something she wouldn’t know anytime soon. However, she wasn’t looking forward to shut her eyes once again.

Getting more sleep was the last thing in her mind.

She sighed. What a dream... I can’t remember the last time I had one this bad. Her body shuddered with cold sweat, memories from when she was just a little filly resurfaced inside her mind. Scootaloo lost count at how many times she woke up bawling in the middle of the night, and had nopony else to ease her fears. It’s probably for the best, though.

She brought a hoof to her eyes and cleared the moist in her vision. Scootaloo gazed at her surroundings, and smiled as she realized she was home. It was fairly average, although slightly smaller than most of the other cottages in Ponyville. But for a single resident, she couldn’t ask for more.

There were only two rooms. The main one, painted in an elegant dark brown color, and had a considerable amount of space on its own. But with the furniture included, there was just enough space for somepony to go around. A bed, a couple of cupboards, a sink, a coffee table, a stove, and a small refrigerator decorated the main room. There was a particularly long hallway at the other end of the front door. Scootaloo always thought it to be out of place. Considering the size of her home, a hallway like that would connect to more rooms. But it led to a single bathroom.

Still, warm water has never been an issue. So she’s never complained about it.

It wasn’t much. They were basic appliances that everyone had at home. But there was only one thing that she was missing, something that isn’t material. Living on your own can be burdensome, especially when starting at a young age like Scootaloo. As she grew up, though, Scootaloo has gotten used to the peaceful and quiet atmosphere her home offered. It had always served as a nice break from the hectic way of living when you’re part of the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

Still, she longed to share her living space with somepony else, just like before.

Scootaloo slid herself to the edge of her bed, pushing away her thoughts. She needed to get her mind busy with something else as soon as possible. She stopped, and glanced back. Something felt wrong with her bed, and it was barely visible to the naked eye. But it just didn’t belong in there. Her heart skipped a beat. She uneasily fixed her gaze to the center of the bed.

Could it really be…? And as she brought her fore hoof to her mattress, Scootaloo confirmed her suspicions.

It was wet.

“Oh, you have got to be freaking kidding.” cursed Scootaloo, thoroughly appalled at her own little misfortune. It was a common accident with foals and very young fillies. But at her age it brought nothing but shame. What would Rainbow Dash think if she knew her number one fan still wets her bed?

The very thought of it made her skin crawl.

“Real smooth there, Scoot,” said the young mare sarcastically, her tone weary. With what little dignity she had left, Scootaloo got off her bed and walked down the hallway to the left. She figured a nice late-morning bubble bath would make up her day.

Scootaloo kept her blank gaze straight ahead, ignoring her family portraits hanged across the wall. It was a sight she preferred not to see, as it was only a reminder of the only thing she’s missing. Thinking about her parents carried a heavy burden. She was a young filly back then, but she knew exactly what was happening. At the end, she thought it better to come back to her mother’s old house. She couldn’t stand the sight of what her father had become.



It certainly made her feel less lonely, though. It was better to have a memory of them than nothing at all.

Her bathroom was as modest as the rest of her home. It had nothing particularly glamorous at all, save for the skillfully drawn storm clouds and rainbow-themed thunders spreading to the length of its walls. Sweetie Belle proved to be just like her sister Rarity, being able to use her telekinesis with expert precision. It was a skill especially useful when drawing and designing. In a sleepover they had a few days ago, the trio of friends had a blast painting the drawings that Sweetie Belle had made.

Scootaloo turned the faucet of the white bathtub halfway to the right, and cold water poured out. The soothing sound of cascading water filled her ears. Then she added the final ingredient: some bubble bath drops. Satisfied, she went back to the sink, and splashed her face several times before thoroughly scrubbing it with liquid soap. The young mare had her eyes squeezed shut to keep the soap from stinging her vision. It was a routine she did every morning to wake up. She needed it more than ever, given the dire circumstances.

Scootaloo’s fur had become humid as the heat in the room gradually began to rise. The flow of water had muffled to such an extent that it got barely hearable. Her bath was ready.

She quivered in cold when a cool breeze suddenly went through the room.

Hmm, that’s odd. I thought I had closed the window. Scootaloo wet her face one last time before opening her eyes, only to find her reflection blurred out entirely. The mirror in front of her was fogged to the last inch. She turned her gaze to the small window at her left, a single ray of sunlight pierced through the shades. Indeed, it was closed. She wore a slightly bemused expression as she lifted an eyebrow.

Then her vision went back towards the mirror.

For a split second she felt a void in her stomach as she caught a glimpse of the obscure figure standing right next to her.

She blinked, and it was gone the next instant.

The young mare stood on her place unmoving for a few moments, her brain struggling to process what she saw. She gulped, and the only audible sound were her heartbeats. Her fore leg quickly met the glass of the mirror, and wiped the fog in circular motions.

There was nothing at her side.

Her reflection’s tired and stunned gaze stared back at her, paler than usual. The veins in her eyes were more visible, dyeing them in a crimson red. A dim shade had begun forming under her eyes from lack of sleep. I’m probably just imagining stuff.

Scootaloo shrugged her shoulders, and turned just in time to see the water spilling out of the bathtub, leaving a small puddle in the dark blue tile floors. She quickly turned off the faucet, and entered the bubble-filled tub. A mouthful of water spilled out as her body submerged into the water.

A moan of pure pleasure escaped her lips, and a relaxed grin had taken its place. She let her sight slowly drift upwards and gazed at the ceiling above.

“I couldn’t ask for anything more than this,” whispered Scootaloo. This was just what she needed after an agitated start in her day.

Such comfort was too much for the young mare to resist. Her whole body entered to a state of tranquility, and her sight succumbed to its own desire. Scootaloo couldn’t help it but to let her eyelids slowly close themselves. She tried to open them back up again to keep herself from falling asleep, but they were heavy as a stone. The warmness of the water proved to be an irresistible delight, and her exhaustion a tough opponent.

Soon enough, her eyelids gave out and once again readied themselves to enter the dream world. Her faint snoring softly sounded through the room as her siesta carried on.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Scootaloo felt something touch her forehead. It was dry and tickly, like strands of mane. Then, an unknown force gently stroked the young mare’s cheek. Her distress became evident as she squeezed shut her eyes more tightly. Her sleeping body tried to back away as it shuffled backwards, only to be blocked by the tub. The entity didn’t let go, trapping the defenseless pony in its alluring caress.

It giggled, resembling that of a filly. It was sweet and caring, like Sweetie Belle’s. But yet, there was a hint of wickedness.

Scootaloo couldn’t see its face, nor did she want to. She squirmed uncontrollably as every single nerve on her body alerted her brain of the danger just a few inches away from her face. She found herself unable to fight back, like something or someone had pinned down her extremities.

Her senses told her of the sudden block of airflow at her left side. The unseen threat had come as close to her face. She flinched and let out a faint cry as a frigid breath hit the base of her nape.

“... Nothing you do from here on will serve any purpose...”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Scootaloo’s ears fluttered in alert as a sharp snap boomed through the stillness of the room like a thunder. She woke up to her senses immediately, flailing wildly her hooves in the water to keep her from sinking in.

“What the- did I fall asleep?” Her voice was frantic. Her eyes darted around and realized she was still inside the full bathtub. A sigh of relief escaped her lips. Thank Celestia, good thing that my brain was smart enough to keep my head above the water. Her view turned towards the door, it was now half-opened. I always leave the door closed when I shower, now this is getting weird.

“Apple Bloom? Sweetie Belle?” Scootaloo immediately called out, her voice just a bit shaky. She sunk her head into the water and pulled out the plug. The bathtub had been drained empty after a few moments. She took a bucket of water lying outside of the tub and rinsed herself to wash off the remaining soap. Then she shook her body rapidly to dry off.

After hopping out of the tub, Scootaloo cautiously trotted to the door.

“I know you guys love to prank me on my birthdays,” said Scootaloo, a sheepish smile on her face.



When she and her friends were younger, the jokes were pretty much harmless and practical. But as they grew up, and with a little bit of Pinkie Pie’s and Rainbow Dash’s wisdom, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle evolved to be much more elaborate in their shenanigans. Last year’s prank was unforgettable. Scootaloo naively stepped out of her home on the day of her birthday. Little she knew that two buckets, one filled with glue and the other with chicken feathers, were locked and loaded for their ambush. It took hours for her to wash off all of the glue, and the itchiness of the feathers was fit to be implemented as a torture measure in the dark ages of the Equestrian Inquisition Era.

Not to mention that Scootaloo served as a pretty good excuse to play ‘Blind Chicken’ on her party. “But don’t you think you’re taking this a little bit too far?”

The clip-clop of her hooves striking the floor broke through the silence. They echoed inside her ears even after she stopped as she reached for the door. It can’t be a burglar; there hasn’t been one in Ponyville for decades. Scootaloo reassured herself. That’s why there’s hardly any security patrolling the town, there’s no need.

Her right hoof met with the edge of the door, and peeked outside of the bathroom. She narrowed her eyes and surveyed the rest of her home. It was fairly dim, as the only light source available were the sun rays piercing through the windows. When she felt secure, she stepped out. Nothing seemed out of place.

Almost.

She yelped as a loud crack shot through her ears as she took a step. She glanced down, and witnessed a single long match snapped in half. An empty match box lay beside a thick white candle on a silver tray. Her expression turned to concern. I ought to buy some more before nightfall.

Scootaloo had multiple candles along with a box of matches strategically placed through her home. There was one beside her bed, another on top of the small fridge in the kitchen, and the last patch at the end of the hallway in front of the bathroom. A couple of bad experiences before taught her to always have a portable light source at night. Not just because her mind tended to play tricks on her on the dark, like something out to get her in the shadows, no, something worse than that.

Landing flat on your face over a piece of furniture can be a harsh teacher.

Come to think of it, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle haven’t dropped by and it’s almost noon! Scootaloo pushed aside the curtain of a window and glanced outside, the sun shone brightly and it was almost at its peak point. They usually take advantage of me while I’m still asleep. Oh well. That just means I’m gonna have to find them first.

Scootaloo had learned her lesson, as she stopped right in front of her door. She eyed it carefully, before twisting the handle and slamming it open with a well-placed kick. She took cover behind the wall immediately. Nothing out of the sort fell or exploded. It seemed safe to leave the house, and she stepped outside.

As usual, she placed her best smile and turned to greet her neighbor.

“Good morning Bon Bon! How’re you-” The young mare cut off her sentence as she realized that Bon Bon was missing. She’s usually tending her garden around this time. She walked over to the couple of red lilies planted beside her home, and examined the soil. It was dry and light-colored. It didn’t look like it had been watered anytime soon. Scootaloo was about to borrow Bon Bon’s watering can and do the job herself before she discovered an odd reality.

The streets of Ponyville were completely deserted. It was a genuine ghost town. “Where is everypony…?” she muttered to herself. The whistling of the wind and the dancing of trees became the only sound to be heard in the stillness of the town.

Scootaloo wandered around aimlessly through Ponyville. Her stroll first took her to the residential zone. Every cottage had their curtains covering the windows, blocking any view to the inside of the houses. Even when Scootaloo tried to catch a glimpse through the locks, there was nopony inside. She hoped they were asleep. The doors were locked and it didn’t look like the owners would come out anytime soon.

The marketplace, a zone where it bustled with activity no matter the time of the day, had been replaced by solitude. The shops haven’t even switched their ‘closed’ signs. “What’s happening in Ponyville…?”



Scootaloo didn’t realize that she had begun to increase her speed as panic set in. At first it was a small jog. Then, it grew to a full speed gallop. She set her sights on the Carousel Boutique. If there was someone in Ponyville that would be up earlier than anyone else besides the Apples, it would be Sweetie Belle.

She huffed and puffed as she arrived at her friend’s place. Rarity’s shop didn’t vary from the rest of the businesses; as it didn’t show any signs of activity, save for one small detail…

The curtains were removed.

Scootaloo quickly approached to one of the majestic oval-shaped windows and peeked in. For reasons she couldn’t explain, the ground-floor appeared to be slightly darker than usual, even when the full force of the sun had to brighten up the interiors of the shop. Inside, she could tell that Rarity had been busier than most days. At least a dozen of mannequins were perfectly aligned to the side of the room, each wearing a unique couture dress with all sorts of gems and precious stones.

The boutique was also a mess, very unlikely of Rarity. Anyone who knew her well would know for a fact that no matter how many dresses she made, Rarity would always clean up after work and leave her business in an impeccable state.

I must look suspicious, peeking through a closed shop’s window without entering and all. Hmm, not that anyone would see me anyway. She walked up to the front door and knocked three times. “Rarity? It’s me, Scootaloo.” She called out, and waited patiently outside.

A couple of minutes passed, and she didn’t hear a single answer. Scootaloo frowned, and knocked again a bit stronger than intentional. “Is anypony home? Anyone?” She was about to give up as she turned around to look elsewhere. But Scootaloo’s ear twitched when the muffled noise of something shattering to pieces was heard from inside the shop.

She ran up to the window again, and scanned the room thoroughly. There was an open door at the other side of the room, and the shadow of someone walking into the boutique slowly came into view. Scootaloo couldn’t look anywhere else. And as the figure passed through the doorway, it became crystal clear.

It was Rarity.

Scootaloo felt the urge to knock the door and call out to her. But something seemed… off. From the way she walked, it was a dead giveaway. Her trotting was lifeless, almost robotic-like. She lowered herself a bit more to avoid being seen. Rarity walked to one of the many vanity mirrors scattered in the boutique, as she usually does to admire her beauty or fix her mane.

This was the exception. Rarity just stood there motionless, staring at her reflection with an unwavering gaze. It didn’t look like she was going to move from that place anytime soon. Scootaloo narrowed her eyes, and she could see Rarity’s lip moving. But any attempt to read her lips and guess what she could be saying was in vain. The unicorn was too far away from Scootaloo’s line of vision.

What could that pony be up to…? Scootaloo felt an itch on her eye as a small breeze passed by. She took her sight of the glass, and with a foreleg she tried to wipe off the stinging particle of dirt. No matter how hard she rubbed, it wouldn’t come off. “Ugh, stupid dust,” she cursed under her breath. She scrubbed a few more times before finally giving in, and looked through the window again.

Rarity’s eyes were firmly locked on Scootaloo’s. They were inescapable, even from the far distance that separated them.

“Gah!” She let out a loud yelp as she staggered away from the window, tripping over her own hooves and landed on her flank. I hope she didn’t think I was spying on her or anything. With a new found surge of guilt, Scootaloo pushed away her injured pride and knocked the door once more.

Rarity caught on quickly, as her approaching hoofsteps resounded in the young mare’s ears. The surrounding noises of the wind blowing came to a sudden halt. It was just Rarity’s steps and her. As she came closer, Scootaloo noticed how the unicorn’s walk slowly changed its tone. The transition was subtle and slow, only noticeable if she listened to it very carefully. It echoed as loud and reverberating as the pacing of somepony wearing heels in a spacious place like a castle. Her ears were just fine, however. They didn’t hurt. The dreamlike steps ringed inside her head like a brewing storm. I feel a headache coming in.

The soft click of a tumbler snapping into place filled Scootaloo’s ears, shutting off the surrealistic noises around her. She perked up, and realized that Rarity was standing in the doorway. The unicorn wore a concerned look as she waved her hoof across the stunned pegasus’ face.

Scootaloo shook her head rapidly, attempting to recover. A sheepish smile had formed as she blushed slightly. “Oh, Rarity you opened up! I uh, didn’t see you there.”

Rarity lifted an eyebrow, her expression a mix of worry and surprise. “I’ve been standing here like a minute ago. Are you feeling alright, dear?” She approached to the young mare’s side, lending her body as a support. “Here, let me help you inside the shop.”

Scootaloo backed away a bit before she could get close enough. “Ah don’t worry about it, I’m fine. I can walk just fine.”

“Are you quite sure?” Rarity’s concern deepened, taking a few steps towards her. She was almost ready to catch her in case Scootaloo fainted. “I was calling your name several times and you didn’t do much so as blink. You certainly gave me quite the shock, darling!”

Scootaloo opened her mouth to shrug it off again, and stopped. She realized there’s no point in hiding it. Rarity clearly didn’t buy it. She let out a small sigh. “I guess I’ve been a bit under the weather, but nothing too serious.” She gave a reassuring grin. “Heh, let’s just say I stepped out of the bed with the wrong hoof.”

The unicorn visibly eased up as she witnessed Scootaloo’s usual chill attitude. She put on a friendly smile. “Well, I’m sorry to hear that Scootaloo. But don’t we all have those days?”

“Yeah, tell me about it.”

Rarity gestured her to come inside, and the two ponies strolled in. Cloths, fabrics and all sorts of sewing equipment lay scattered across the boutique. She frowned upon the horrendous sight. “Please excuse my mess, dear. My workshop can get a bit cramped up sometimes. So I pulled an arduous all-nighter filling in my latest order down here, very delicate pieces, if I do say so myself.”

Scootaloo shrugged. “Tough luck, it looks like that my night wasn’t the only hectic one,” she said, her tone discouraged.

The unicorn stopped dead on her tracks, letting out a profound gasp. “Oh how rude of me! Where are my manners?” Rarity turned around, a big smile plastered on her face, and pulled the young mare to a warm hug. “Happy Birthday, Scootaloo!” She exclaimed happily in a singing tone.

The young mare’s eyes widened, taken off-guard. She grinned, and returned the hug before letting go. “Hey, thanks. I kind of forgot about it, actually.”

Rarity giggled and turned around, making her way towards the kitchen. “Oh Scootaloo, you truly are your father’s daughter.” She didn’t notice the drastic change in Scootaloo’s face. “Now that I mention it, has he written to you-?”

“My dad won’t be coming.” She cut off Rarity, her tone serious as she did her best to suppress her anger. The unicorn stopped immediately, realizing her mistake. “Is Sweetie Belle home?”

“Oh! I’m... not sure. I mean, after I finished my job around six, I took a short nap.” Rarity couldn’t even make eye contact with Scootaloo; her glare was full of venom. The guilt was too much. “I haven’t seen her around lately. But you’re welcome to look in her room, just to be sure. In the meantime, I’ll fetch us all some tea.”

“Thanks.” Scootaloo turned her attention to the stairs, and left without another word. In the stillness of the room, she could hear a faint and distant ‘forgive me’. She sighed, and went back towards the boutique. She watched as Rarity disappeared into the kitchen. From the looks of it, I doubt she’s noticed that Ponyville has turned into something of a ghost town. But I don’t know exactly how to bring it up without making it sound eerie. I’m sure it’s nothing to be worried about! They probably were super busy like Rarity here and they’re just sleeping in. Nopony likes working on Saturdays, anyways.

Scootaloo went upstairs and walked down the narrow corridor, passing through the master bedroom to the right, and stopped in front of a creamy white door on her left. She was about to knock when she noticed the thin gap which separated the frame from the door. “Sweetie Belle?” She called, but there was no answer. With a gentle push, Scootaloo strode into the room. “Hmmm, so she’s not home either.”

Sweetie Belle’s bedroom had come off as a surprise to Scootaloo, for her to be standing in there. Since the day they met, the crusader’s everyday hangout place had been the treehouse in Sweet Apple Acres. It was rare for them to use their personal bedrooms. For the trio, they almost considered them sacred, reserved for special occasions.

Scootaloo took a quick glance around. It was simple and modest, yet, an air of elegance enveloped the unicorn’s room. A light violet color spread across the walls, matching Sweetie’s mane. Aside of that, there was nothing in particular that caught her eye. Her attention focused on the sole paper lying on top of her friend’s bed. Without thinking, she walked over it and read it. Sweetie Belle’s writing was beyond beautiful. The note was written in cursive, each stroke encompassing the sophistication in every word.


I’m heading over to Apple Bloom’s. I’ll be back for lunch. I also made your favorite breakfast and left it on the table, coffee should be ready by the time you wake up. Oh, and be sure to rest when you can, sis. I’ll handle the shopping for today, don’t worry.

Take care!


“Hmmm, funny how the roles are exchanged,” said Scootaloo, glad to see how much her friend cared for her sister. She figured there was no reason to be hanging out in there any longer, so her sights were settled on the exit.

Scootaloo stopped in her tracks as she saw Rarity standing at the other end of the corridor, her gaze lost in the vast universe. Her legs wobbled, they were ready to give in at any moment. She had her mouth open, struggling to say something but it just wouldn’t come out. Scootaloo watched Rarity wide-eyed as she had tumbled dangerously backwards. A grim fate awaited the glamorous unicorn in the shape of a long set of stairs. Gravity felt particularly devilish today.

“Rarity, watch out!” Scootaloo screamed at the top of her lungs, she didn’t realize that her legs were in full sprint. Everything around her moved in slow-motion. Her galloping hooves furiously resounded through the room. She was halfway there and Rarity was almost out of reach. I’m not gonna make it!

Scootaloo hunkered herself, and took a gracious leap, just how Apple Bloom and Applejack had taught her to jump over hurdles. Heh, and Sweetie Belle thought those rodeo lessons were a dumb idea. She flapped her tiny wings as hard as she could for maximum air time. Rarity’s curly tail had become the only thing in reach, and it was slowly getting away. She landed with a loud thud just in the edge of the stairs, seized Rarity’s tail with her teeth like her life depended on it, and pulled as hard as her neck permitted. Scootaloo braced herself for impact.

“No!” She yelled between her teeth. Scootaloo had slipped. Rarity’s momentum plus her adult mare weight was too much for Scootaloo’s young complexion. Her teeth were clasped together so tight they had begun to hurt. Scootaloo didn’t let go, not even the thought of it crossed her mind. Rainbow Dash would have never let go, even in the face of impending doom. Scootaloo felt weightless as her hooves were no longer touching the floor, and closed her eyes shut.

There was an ear-rending crash, and then silence.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Scootaloo’s senses woke up to the sweet aroma of fresh-baked bread. She swayed in her place as her lungs feasted on the delicacy of the scent. There was a hint of honey, vanilla, and cinnamon. A gentle piano melody could be heard in the distance, its tone happy and soothing. The fragrance, the beautiful sonata, it all struck close to home.

The young mare opened her weary eyes, and found herself in an entirely different place from the boutique. She had been lying in a busted but comfortable green couch. Scootaloo examined her surroundings. It looked like she was in some kind of farm house, as it was made mostly out of wood and bricks. It had a rustic atmosphere. From the window to her left, she could admire a vast wheat field, spreading to the horizon as far as the eye could see. The sun rays bathed the scenery in a dim orange color; she couldn’t tell if it was sunrise or sunset.

She watched in awe, wiping her eyes to see if they were deceiving her. This place… it’s so familiar. It feels like I’ve been here throughout my entire life, and yet, I’ve been so distant from it. As Scootaloo gazed every single detail of the house, from the quaint adornments to the texture of the wood, she listened how the joyous piano melody slowly came to an end. Where am I? Have I really called this place home before?

“Scootaloo, dearie, bread is ready!” A female voice called out, her tone young and clean. Scootaloo immediately turned around, looking at its source. It emanated from what she assumed to be the kitchen just further ahead, and to the right of a dining room. Her words were right on her throat but they just wouldn’t come out. She wanted to say something, to reply that loving voice calling her name. “I made your favorite. Come sit and eat before it gets cold!” The mare said in a cheerful singing tone.

The young mare gasped as a female figure stepped out into her view. She carried a small plate, and set it on a big, circular table. There was a huge arched window in front of the dining room, sun rays pierced through the faint light inside the house. The mare was enshrouded in a cloak of dusk, making most of her appearance an unrecognizable shade. The mare’s gaze met with Scootaloo’s. Her violet eyes were as gorgeous as an amethyst and her gentle smile outshined all shadows.

“I’m so happy to see you again.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Scootaloo awoke to see herself in a bed twice her size, a crimson red quilt covered the pegasus all the way up to her neck. She groaned. What’s with me and waking up in random places today? She got up, feeling her mane stiff, and noticed Rarity sitting at the other side of the bed. The unicorn was lost in thought as she gazed somberly at her breakfast. A single fried egg, a toast, and a cup of coffee were placed in a small table in front of her.

“Hey,” she greeted, making her way towards Rarity. Her face was filled with discomfort.

“Oh Scootaloo, I’m so glad you’re up and sound!” Rarity’s eyes beamed as she laid eyes on the young mare. “I was starting to worry.”

“How long was I out?”

“Not so much, for about half an hour. Does anything hurt?”

Scootaloo sighed, her gaze bewildered. “I’m fine, but everything happened too fast, though. I thought you and I were going to face plant the stairs hard.” She brought her hoof to her chin. “You were also acting kind of strange back there, what happened?”

The look in Rarity’s eyes lingered down; she was clearly troubled about it. “I… am uncertain. After you went to Sweetie Belle’s room, I went up there myself to ask you if you’d prefer coffee instead of tea. I had a little accident with the tea jar before you came, you see. But then, I felt… wrong. I may have had a seizure but I can’t say for sure. I don’t recall much after that, only which a sharp pain in my flank snapped me out of my dormant state. My only reaction was to cast a teleport spell. But that’s something entirely out of my league so we ended up outside. The recoil of the spell must have knocked you out. So I brought you here.” Rarity looked at her back, her gaze showing a bit of pain. “Whatever it was, I’m still a bit sore about it.”

Scootaloo blushed, looking away. “I may have pulled you a bit too hard, sorry about that.”

Rarity grinned. “I’m much better than I would’ve been with a bunch of crippled bones. You have my most sincere gratitude.”

“Eh, it was nothing.” Scootaloo eyed the identical set of food perfectly aligned to the left of Rarity’s. “What’s this?”

A cloak of magic surrounded the table the extra table, and with perfect balance it was placed in front of Scootaloo. Rarity smiled. “It’s just a little something my dear little sister cooked for me. For saving me and because I’m sure that you haven’t eaten all morning. Go ahead, my treat.”

Scootaloo knew better than turn down a kind gift from one of the most generous ponies she knew. Her stomach agreed with her with a loud grumble, and her cheeks had visibly turned red. “Thanks,” she settled herself to the edge of the bed, and soon the two ponies started eating their late breakfast.

As they feasted, Rarity noticed how gloomy Scootaloo’s expression was. She had finished her fried egg, but her gaze was fixed on the toast. She was deep in thought, and it looked like she was struggling to hold back her tears.

Scootaloo’s train of thought was shattered as she felt Rarity’s hoof on her shoulder. “There’s something troubling you, darling. Do you want to talk about it?” She said softly.

“It’s nothing, just had a weird dream.” The young mare quickly wiped her eyes, attempting to dry off her watery eyes.

“You were crying in your sleep…”

“It was that weird of a dream.” Scootaloo brought the cup to her lips and gulped down the remaining coffee. “I guess it brought some old memories.”

Rarity winced. “Listen Scootaloo, I’m sorry from what I said about your-”

“Don’t sweat it,” she shrugged it off waving her hoof. “I shouldn’t have gotten mad with you. I know my dad and I aren’t on our best terms, and sometimes it can be a touchy subject for me to talk about.”

Rarity sipped her coffee. “It must’ve been harsh for you, living so many years like this.”

“You get used to it after a while.” Scootaloo gazed at the ceiling. “Our relationship is… complicated, to say at the least.”

She grinned, and patted Scootaloo in the head a few times. “Well, I suppose there are plenty of things today to keep your mind busy.”

“Yeah,” The young mare hopped out of the bed, and stretched her legs. “I should get going. Thanks for the meal and the talk, Rarity.” She waved her hoof and made a dash for the door.

“It was my pleasure, darling. You’re welcome here anytime!” Rarity watched as Scootaloo disappeared from her room. Her galloping hooves slowly faded away. She perked up as she noticed that they were getting louder and closer.

Scootaloo peeked through the doorway not a moment too soon. “Are you sure you’re going to be okay, Rarity? I could keep you company to the hospital if you want.”

“Oh it’s quite alright. I’m just a bit tired. I’ll just stay here and rest.”

Scootaloo nodded. “If you say so, see you later then!”

After she made sure that the young mare had departed, Rarity attempted to stand up, only for a sharp jolt in her right foreleg to drop her in the mattress again. She grimaced. I must have sprained my ankle pretty good. I pray that I’m in better shape for Scootaloo’s little soiree later in the day.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Scootaloo stepped outside to find Ponyville in a much better state. There were ponies outside enjoying the day or shopping. Every one of them had their usual grins plastered on their face, as if nothing had happened. Even then, Scootaloo couldn’t shake the feeling that something out there was off. She glanced at the sky. It was a sunny day, and yet, the town seemed a little shadier than usual. It looked like a huge cloud was hanging overhead, blocking the full rays of the sun.

She made her way towards the marketplace, some of the businesses had finally opened but a few of them still hadn’t opened their doors. Still, the central market area was in full swing. The young mare found herself in the middle of a moving labyrinth, all sounds muted by the incessant chattering. She eyed the merchants skeptically as they traded with their clients; there wasn’t a single stall unoccupied.

Dozens of ponies passed by her line of vision, it was blurry sea of colors. Not a moment too soon, there was something that stood out from the corner of her eye. She caught a glimpse of a shrouded unicorn mare passing by just up ahead, away from all the pony folk and the busy stands. She was tall and imposing. Her long robe was black as the night, covering most of her face and body. Her muzzle was the only part that stood out, but it was too far away to identify her color.

Scootaloo’s glare followed her until she disappeared behind some buildings. I’ve never seen that one before. Seriously, could she possibly be more suspicious? Scootaloo struggled to push her way out of the crowd, as if the shoppers were intentionally trying to seal her inside. She tumbled with several villagers and nearly dropped their shopping bags.

One of them wasn’t so lucky, as a full bag of apples found its way to the ground, sending the fruits scattering all over the place. He wore a red headband on his forehead. And when his sight caught the culprit, there was a burning fury boiling from the stallion’s glare.

Hey! Watch where you’re going you bi-”

“Okay, okay! I’ll be careful next time.” Scootaloo cut him off before the gruff stallion could finish his swear. Sheesh, he didn’t need to get rough. She glanced back at him; he was still staring at her. His eyes were not of annoyance, they were filled with hate and venom. Like the face of someone about to beat his enemy to a pulp.

She gulped, and hurried out of the scene. After putting a small distance, Scootaloo wiped sweat from her eyebrow as she could get past them without starting a brawl. Her gaze lingered to the right, and she barely caught a glimpse of the shrouded mare making her way towards the northeast district.

She didn’t waste any time to give chase.

The road felt much more enclosed, as the residential buildings in this zone were more crammed than the rest of Ponyville’s layout. The sun rays found it difficult to lighten up the area, as it proved challenging to pierce through the narrow spaces between the houses. There weren’t a lot of ponies either. It was almost as silent as it was earlier. She felt a chill running down her spine, and it wasn’t the wind.

Scootaloo kept racing through several alleyways, her galloping hooves thundering across the stillness of the town. The shrouded mare had been walking at her own pace, and even then, Scootaloo was struggling to keep up with her. Every time the mare turned a corner, she appeared in a farther place when Scootaloo caught up.

The pursuit eventually took her out into the open, but she had lost sight of the mare for good. She stopped to catch her breath, her eyes scanning everywhere. “Darn it! Where’d she go?” She muttered. Scootaloo perked up as deep and reverberating bongs echoed throughout the town. Another hour had passed.

Scootaloo’s gaze wavered around as her limbs suddenly went numb. She planted her hooves firmly in the ground to steady herself. The sounds of bells kept ringing inside her head, like an obnoxious mosquito that wouldn’t fly away. It wasn’t the first time she has felt light-headed this day, and her worry for her personal health grew even more.

When the bells quieted down, Scootaloo could see the clock tower just up ahead. But she realized that it was located in the outskirts of town, near Fluttershy’s cottage. A few seconds ago, she was standing nowhere near that place. Her dumbfounded gaze was settled on the clock. Three already?

She glanced down, and gasped loudly. The shrouded mare stood at the base of the tower. If not for her cloak covering her face, Scootaloo would have felt the cold sting of her glare.

The next instant Scootaloo blinked, she was gone.

She held her mouth agape as she carefully trotted towards the structure. Did she want me to follow her? She looked nervously to her left, a familiar cottage blooming with nature lay at the distance. Well I guess I can always make a run to Fluttershy’s place if things get a little hairy in there. Then with a bit of luck she can stare the bad guy to submission, or something. Somehow, Scootaloo didn’t feel even the least bit of convinced. She sighed. As she came closer to the tower, she narrowed her eyes as she caught eye of the faint blue light emanating from behind the structure.

When she turned the corner, much to her surprise, there was nothing there. There was no trace of the bluish aura either.

“Ah, another living soul, I see.” An unknown voice echoed inside Scootaloo’s head. It was that of a mature stallion. Its tone was scratchy and somber, like he must have had his fair amount of alcoholic drinks during his life, and been through a lot of pain. Despite of that, an air of refinement and courtesy held its ground in his voice.

“Is someone there?” Scootaloo turned around, looking for the source. There was no one else to be seen, as far as she could tell. She scratched her head with her fore hoof. Her expression was filled with dismay. “I knew it, I must be going crazy.”

There was a polite laugh, it reminded her of the rich folk up in Canterlot, and a weird sound she could only assume to be a snort. “No, indeed not, oh but you will eventually, my dear.”

Scootaloo was not amused. She rolled her eyes as the voice snickered mischievously. “Was that a joke? It was so funny I forgot to laugh.”

The voice coughed a couple of times in a feeble manner. He was exerting his lungs to their limits to perform such a simple action. “Come now, my apologies. When you’ve been stuck here for centuries like me, humor tends to come in short supply.”



She rubbed her forehead. “I don’t know why I keep talking to you. What do you want? Before I change my mind and run back the way I came. There’s a limit of weirdness I can take for a single day.”



“I don’t believe that would be such a good idea. For you see, my sole wish at this moment of my everlasting and miserable existence is to help you.”



Scootaloo raised an eyebrow. “Help me with what?”

The echoing voice continued talking, ignoring her question. “I’m surprised that you can hear me. But, can you see me?”

Scootaloo turned around, looking at the base of the tower just a few feet ahead. She shot a skeptical gaze as she laid eyes on the floating light. A single blue flame had materialized in front of her. It had the size of a filly, and its center was white as snow. The ember didn’t feel real, as there was no heat emanating from it. However, there was a certain energy from it that felt alive. Scootaloo watched in astonishment at the spectral flame in her place. “You’re the… blue flame over there, aren’t you? You’re the one talking to me.”

“I knew you were a smart one, it will be much easier for me to explain that way.” The specter cleared his voice. “If we’re able to discuss like this, then that means you’re special.”

“I’m… special?” Scootaloo gulped. “What do you mean by that? And who or what are you anyway?”

“Please, all in due time. I’m growing weaker, and I can’t hold on this corporeal appearance forever.”

She hesitated, thinking for a moment, and relaxed her tense muscles. “Well, okay, I’m all ears.” Scootaloo took a seat in the soft grass, watching the will-o'-the-wisp expectantly.

“As I’m sure you’ve noticed, many strange events have happened since this morning, have they not?”

Scootaloo brought her hoof to her chin, gently stroking it. “Yes. Now that you mention it, ever since I woke up, I’ve had this nagging dread that something bad could happen anywhere, at any time.”

“There’s a good reason for that, and I’m afraid you’re not going to like it.” He coughed again. “Have you ever heard of the old saying, ‘the smallest villages hold the biggest mysteries’?”

She scratched her head. “Not that I know of, what are you implying?”

There was a nostalgic sigh. The blue flame flickered with the passing of wind. “I was once a living pony like you, a very, very long time ago. I lived in a quiet village, lived an honest life, didn't do anything wrong to my kin.”

Scootaloo felt the smallest shiver running down her spine. But she wouldn’t let anything lose her cool, not even a specter. She kept her head collected as she faced the ethereal flame. “So what’s a ghost like you hanging around Ponyville then?”

“Ponyville, I see that a new village was erected over the remains of the town I used to call home.”

Scootaloo was speechless. Her mouth was agape before she shook her head and regained her composure. “Whoa, there was town before Ponyville? I thought this land was an empty lot before Granny Smith moved in. If you’re saying the truth, what happened to it?”

He coughed again, and forcefully breathed before speaking again. The blue flame was glowing weaker. “It was afflicted with a terrible curse, an evil far beyond our comprehension. We never knew where it came from. The effects were subtle at first, none of us were aware to them. But as the days went by, we couldn’t look each other in the eye without coming to blows.” His voice turned shaky. “It only got worse after that. We were forgotten to the world, to Equestria. And now, something has brought us back.”

“Us? What do you mean by ‘us’?”

“The inhabitants of the old town, the curse seeped into our spirits, even after death. Our souls never departed to the afterlife, no nirvana, no paradise to be had. ”

Scootaloo shivered, and surveyed her surroundings. “Soooo you’re saying Ponyville just got a whole bunch of new ghosts roaming around. What the hay do you expect me to do about it?”

“There are more pressing concerns for you, I’m afraid. But I will use everything in my knowledge to keep you safe and alert.”

Scootaloo let out a long sigh, and paced around anxiously. She didn’t know what to say.

The specter took it as a sign to go on. “When we were brought here, unfortunately, the curse that wiped out our village somehow found its way out as well. It has already latched onto everyone in this town, including you. I see their minds already being devoured by the Darkening.”

She stopped, her gaze petrified. “What… is that?”

“It’s what I started to call the symptoms of the curse. I’m not entirely sure how it works; only that it affects the minds of ponies. It makes them believe everything is alright, even when the actions they do or the words they speak may be foreign to their true selves.”

Scootaloo’s lips had begun trembling. “H-How can I fight back something like that? Is there any way I can save my friends?”

“Your friends… you’d best hold on dear to them, as they will be your last ray of hope. There is a way to stall the process of the Darkening, and that is to let your happier emotions enter your soul. However, the curse will stop at nothing until it has consumed the host completely.”

Scootaloo laughed nervously. “Well, I guess that makes everything a lot more easily, doesn’t it?” Her legs had begun to tremble, and drops of sweat went down her cheeks. “I just have to find my friends and everything will be alright, right?” She laughed again, before slumping down to her knees, her whole body was shivering. “This is too much for me… I don’t even know where to start.”

He coughed again. “Don’t despair. If you do, you’ll dig your own grave sooner than you can possibly imagine. I don’t wish for that to happen. Once is too much. Curses like this always have a source, and it may be the only way to dispel them... I needed more time.”

Scootaloo sniffed, her trembling gaze looking at Ponyville in the distance. “If somepony had told me that in my fifteenth birthday I would have to deal with a curse and a bunch of ghosts… maybe I would have been more mentally prepared for this.”

The flame had become unstable. “My time here is running out. Remember youngling, two heads work better than one. That alone is a much bigger advantage that you possess right now. You have friends that care about you, and if you work together, I’m certain you’ll solve this mystery and save Ponyville.”

The young mare gasped as the flame slowly begun to extinguish. She held out her hoof. “Wait! What is the name of your home town?”

There was a long moment of silence. The flame had become a small ember; giving everything it got left to stay burning. “Everfree… Everfree was its name. We built it, and we were so proud of it. The neighboring forest was named after our little town to honor its name.” He coughed forcefully, struggling to utter his next words. “Ironic, isn’t it? We have been trapped forever. I beg of you…

Do not... end... like us.”

Comments ( 3 )

Nice to see this isn't dead. Interesting mystery being built so far.

So far, so good with this story :)

Login or register to comment